Transfer update doesn't make sense

First of all the January transfers should be set as future transfers if you start a game in June. Second there should be an option to start a game 1. feb. after the transfer update where leagues are updated to real life standings that date.

I just can't see any reason why SI do it the way they do now, where the jan update for 2014 is set to take place june 2013 in the game.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all the January transfers should be set as future transfers if you start a game in June. Second there should be an option to start a game 1. feb. after the transfer update where leagues are updated to real life standings that date.

I just can't see any reason why SI do it the way they do now, where the jan update for 2014 is set to take place june 2013 in the game.

1) It wouldn't be possible if you started the game in the summer, as once you click continue for the first time, it stops resembling reality. You'd have to fix outcomes, which isn't the right way to go.

2) You can start in January if you select certain leagues

3) You wouldn't be able to have the real standings, for the same reason as some leagues don't have the correct fixtures. Licensing.

That cover it?

You cannot use the real leagues as they are licensed. Setting heaps of future transfers causes too many issues. There are also too many unbalancing issues that could come from that, ie take the Mata transfer. If your Chelsea manager, why would waste any time playing Mata when he is going to leave in 6 months? So you could dump him in the reserves, not train him and come January United have paid £35M for a player worth nothing, who might get back to being good after a year. It would unbalance things far too much.

• Administrators

Absolutely no way we have the resources to produce two different databases like that. We have the option to do one and this is the way we've always done it as we feel it is the best way to do it.

Okay I can see I can't find common ground here. I just think it could be nice starting a game in that starts 1 feb and had the real life standings.

I know I can start a game in jan. I'm currently starting a new game over and over again to get a close to real life table in jan in Denmark, but it's hard and could be up for a few more hours of hitting the start new game button :)

Absolutely no way we have the resources to produce two different databases like that. We have the option to do one and this is the way we've always done it as we feel it is the best way to do it.

What about release the patch for free and also have an option to pay like 5£ for a database to be able to starte an up to date game from 1. feb?

Why are players signed in January not set to Join new club on 1st Jan 2104

Eg Mata starts game at Chelsea on a new game in July 2013 but when you reach Jan he goes to ManUtd??

I have never understood why transfers that happen midseason we start a new game with them at new club?

Eg Mata starts game at Chelsea on a new game in July 2013 but when you reach Jan he goes to ManUtd??

I have never understood why transfers that happen midseason we start a new game with them at new club?

This....

What happens if you're managing United, you're given your budgets, and you spend it all in July. January rolls around, and - oh dear - there's no money left for Mata. What happens then? Take it to another extreme. You're United and you've managed to spend your first four months going a bit Redknapp and literally bankrupting the club Richard. So they're in administration, but the spectre of Mata arriving, and having to shell out 35 million, is still on the horizon.

There just isn't a clean way to do it. The game changes and ceases to be real life the minute you press continue, so having any kind of fixed nature in place, especially with players, just wouldn't work.

What happens if you're managing United, you're given your budgets, and you spend it all in July. January rolls around, and - oh dear - there's no money left for Mata. What happens then? Take it to another extreme. You're United and you've managed to spend your first four months going a bit Redknapp and literally bankrupting the club Richard. So they're in administration, but the spectre of Mata arriving, and having to shell out 35 million, is still on the horizon.

There just isn't a clean way to do it. The game changes and ceases to be real life the minute you press continue, so having any kind of fixed nature in place, especially with players, just wouldn't work.

Then why update the transfers at all?

What you said is incorrect though - if they were set to go through in January the budgets would already be changed to reflect this, so you wouldn't have to find another 35m in January for Mata. It would have already been put aside.

What you said is incorrect though - if they were set to go through in January the budgets would already be changed to reflect this, so you wouldn't have to find another 35m in January for Mata. It would have already been put aside.

But even then that's a hack. My example was poor, admittedly, but I can completely see why SI have chosen to do this. I'm sure I've seen them say that they would ideally have the transfers coming in in January, but it just wasn't workable.

I'd say it's in place because so many people wait for the transfer update to play with players at new clubs. If you're a United fan, why would you want to wait until January to use him? And on the other side, as milnerpoint said, if you're Chelsea then you're stuck with Mata for six months.

I've never understood why people get so hung up on this. As soon as you press continue AI managers will start making transfers that aren't reflected in real life, so the game immediately steps into the realms of fantasy.

If you don't want the players there at the start of the season, choose the original database

If you do want them, choose the updated one.

If you really must have the transfers go through exactly in January, choose the original one then use the real time editor to transfer them yourselves.

You might even be able to set up future transfers in the main editor, I don't know if that's possible or not.

I just don't see it as that much of a big deal, and can't really understand why others do. Of course, it would be all nice and shiny if it worked exactly like real life, but given the complexities involved, it's not really worth it, especially as it kicks away from realism as soon as you move forward in the game anyway.

I've never understood why people get so hung up on this. As soon as you press continue AI managers will start making transfers that aren't reflected in real life, so the game immediately steps into the realms of fantasy.

I know, and acctually I'm more in to the whole deal about starting a game witch take place from 1. feb. Perhaps I just spend too much time playing FM and watch football on tv, but I find it very fun when the game comes out, and even when a lot of things happens every day in the world of football, I have no problem turn up FM in dec. real life time and start a game that has a start date of june. But here 4 or 5 months after the game is out I could do with some change, and with the option like start a game that starts 1. feb. with the real life standings I would get that.

If you don't want the players there at the start of the season, choose the original database

If you really must have the transfers go through exactly in January, choose the original one then use the real time editor to transfer them yourselves.

You might even be able to set up future transfers in the main editor, I don't know if that's possible or not.

I just don't see it as that much of a big deal, and can't really understand why others do. Of course, it would be all nice and shiny if it worked exactly like real life, but given the complexities involved, it's not really worth it, especially as it kicks away from realism as soon as you move forward in the game anyway.

A sensible post at last unreal what some people are expecting I have to say and as thread says, "Transfer update doesn't make sense" lol it makes perfect sense to me!

This is a computer game not real life and id hate to have a forced transer on me in say 6 months time i.e. Mata.

I mean im now thinking the other end of the scale is there a "fantasy football manager" option so you pick team of your choice but with no players etc but are given say i dunno 200 mil to pick a squad and even stadium capacity.

Money dependant on which division you want to start in but for me that would now be the dream game combination of Fantasy league and Ultimate team on FIFA is the kind of thing I'm thinking.

Yes its how all the other teams are structured I cant easily see how they'd be done but you get the idea anyway, just thought id mention it.

This is ridiculous. So if I want the transfers to go through in January I have to go through every single team in the game and edit their transfers? Seems like a good solution

This is ridiculous. So if I want the transfers to go through in January I have to go through every single team in the game and edit their transfers? Seems like a good solution

Well it's the only solution for those who want that level of realism, so I don't see how that's ridiculous.

Yes, if you want that level of ultra-realism for ONE game day, then that's the lengths you'll have to go to. Seems reasonable considering the level of OCD you'd need to want such a thing anyway. :p

Yes, if you want that level of ultra-realism for ONE game day, then that's the lengths you'll have to go to. Seems reasonable considering the level of OCD you'd need to want such a thing anyway. :p

It's hardly one game day. It adds to the realism to have the existing squad at the start, then have the real life transfers go through on the days they are meant to

When you start a new game, you get all the summer transfers. You also get the option not to have transfer budgets until the winter window. So all clubs remain the same as IRL till January. So why not set the January transfers as future transfers and go through on the correct dates, and have an option to have no transfer budgets for the entire first season. Its not rocket science.

When you start a new game, you get all the summer transfers. You also get the option not to have transfer budgets until the winter window. So all clubs remain the same as IRL till January. So why not set the January transfers as future transfers and go through on the correct dates, and have an option to have no transfer budgets for the entire first season. Its not rocket science.

I'm sure they've just been waiting for you to point that out to them. Expect it to be fixed lickety spit for FM15!

When actually, they've already said it isn't possible to do it this way, so they compromise, and it's done the way it is now. It's either that or not at all, it seems, and I'm sure the majority would rather the former.

15 quid for an update!? You are mental

Depends on how many hours you spend on the game. I'm on 600 now and 15£ for 600 more would be well spend. Ofcourse the patch should be free, it should only be the option to start a up to date real life standings from 1. feb. that should cost money. It would give the game something that it don't have now to take at team with the correct league table from 1. feb

Then don't, but give us that would the chance

But for the number of people that actually would buy it presumably, you'd probably have to pay far more than that for SI to justify the considerable licensing costs that they would need to shell out for it to work. That's presuming that the licenses are even available.

I'm sure they've just been waiting for you to point that out to them. Expect it to be fixed lickety spit for FM15!

When actually, they've already said it isn't possible to do it this way, so they compromise, and it's done the way it is now. It's either that or not at all, it seems, and I'm sure the majority would rather the former.

When they go into the players profile to change his club and contract details, how hard would it be, instead of doing that, they set a future transfer instead. Its easy enough to do on OUR editor. Im sure it would be a lot easier and less time consuming on THEIR editor.

If you have no transfer budget in the first window, the teams in game are as IRL until Jan 1st when the transfer budget kicks in. If the budget can be cancelled for 1 transfer window why cant it be set for 2 windows? Which would then rule out January aswell. Along with the future transfers set it would be a more realistic game world for at least the first season.

Or if they can't be bothered to set up future transfers, why not just include the option to skip 2 windows for transfer budget i.1 no budget for the first season. That way, when somebody in the editors forum makes a future transfers update, we can at least stop other transfers for the first season. I dont think adding another window would be that hard to include.

When they go into the players profile to change his club and contract details, how hard would it be, instead of doing that, they set a future transfer instead. Its easy enough to do on OUR editor. Im sure it would be a lot easier and less time consuming on THEIR editor.

If you have no transfer budget in the first window, the teams in game are as IRL until Jan 1st when the transfer budget kicks in. If the budget can be cancelled for 1 transfer window why cant it be set for 2 windows? Which would then rule out January aswell. Along with the future transfers set it would be a more realistic game world for at least the first season.

That's double work too. So in January, they should update the database by using future transfers. That's already quite a big task. Then they have to do it again for FM15, but this time remove the future transfers and actually transfer the players?

Or if they can't be bothered to set up future transfers, why not just include the option to skip 2 windows for transfer budget i.1 no budget for the first season. That way, when somebody in the editors forum makes a future transfers update, we can at least stop other transfers for the first season. I dont think adding another window would be that hard to include.

I don't know the ins and outs of why, but they have said many times that it isn't possible to do. It's not as if it's something off the wall they won't have thought of. Obviously, it's the ideal option. Doesn't the fact that it isn't available suggest that it isn't possible in that case?

Ok, well at least give the people making data updates have the option to make them by cancelling transfer budgets for the first season. Its already been programmed to skip the first window. How hard would it be to make it skip January aswell?

EDIT: Also if SI insist on doing the Jan transfers the way they do it, at least every team will be playing with the first season squad for the entire first season.

But for the number of people that actually would buy it presumably, you'd probably have to pay far more than that for SI to justify the considerable licensing costs that they would need to shell out for it to work. That's presuming that the licenses are even available.

I don't know what it would cost, I'm Just saying that I would pay a good deal of money, as I can see it would give a lot to the game.

After reading this thread, I think this is how a discussion goes when a billionaire oil tycoon want's to buy a club that is not for sale, and he cannot understand why he is being told it is not possible. Sometimes, you can offer whatever you want - but when it's not possible - it's not possible - as Neil said. :D

After reading this thread, I think this is how a discussion goes when a billionaire oil tycoon want's to buy a club that is not for sale, and he cannot understand why he is being told it is not possible. Sometimes, you can offer whatever you want - but when it's not possible - it's not possible - as Neil said. :D

I usually hate analogies, but this made me chuckle :thup:

Absolutely spot on. In a world of terrible metaphors and analogies, you've snuck one right in there. Good show.

Maestro seems desperate to be parted with his cash, so I'm sure a few million from him would grab the licences, and a few new data guys for good measure. Problem solved, so pub everyone?

Haha I don't have a lot of money, but yeah I would use som of the few I have on a FM add on sold on steam, that would give me the chance to start with real life standings from Feb 1. I would pay to get the chance to take over a Milan on it's knees, try to do the impossible and win CL with United, or try to save a team from relegation somewere out there in Europe. I think it would add a lot to the game and would be worth a few money

The paying for the transfer update is terrible idea, but I really don't see how it is too much effort to just have the transfers go through on the dates they did IRL instead of having them all done in July. I'll probably never play a save with the transfer update purely because of how unrealistic it would be

If Wenger played FM, this update would seriously **** him off no end. "Mata is not cup tied?!?! oh this is going too far!!!"

Twitter: Arseneabolishjanuarytransferwindow The update is BS!!! Mata not cup-tied??? I am fuming!!!

Miles replies: LOL@Arseneabolishjanuarytransferwindow needs to settle down, this is how we do the updates. It's not like he's going win anything anyways...lol"

Seeing as Mata is there right from the start for United, is he cup-tied like irl, or is this a bonus for a United save that he isn't?

Archived