Steaton's 'Invincible' 4-2-3-1 - Consistency - Balanced - 14.3.0 - Plug and Play

I don't really understand how people could have success with this tactic.

I've used it in two different saves, and it only brought me to defeats with its horrible defending and bad football by the team. I understand that nothing works properly with FM14 (thanks SI for ruining such a great series with a worse game every year), but this tactic in particular is so overrated to me.

I think some people overlook the importance of team cohesion. Your team won't display it's better football until the players are "willing to die for each other" (you can check your current team cohesion in your Squad screen and then -> Report -> Last Match -> Team Talk Feedback). With time your players also develop good relationships between them and become more used to the tactic. Then you will see that defensive mistakes become much rarer and attacking moves become more fluid.

With a more defensive tactic a ungelled team full of new players may still get good results, but with such an attacking tactic as this one, team cohesion is fundamental.

That's why in my third season, without making any signings, my team is playing even better. I already have 57 goals in 11 games and just got myr first double digit league victory, 11 x 1 against Malaga. My team currently have 3 players scoring at least one goal per game. That's how good this tactic is.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marcelo, any tip for championship clubs? Any change to your tactic?

Well, it's not my tactic, it's Steaton's tactic. :)

That said, I haven't tried it with smaller teams, but if you want to make it a little more defensively sound, you could try a few things: (but not all at the same time)

- change the MCs back to their original roles;

- move one of the MCs to the DMC position;

- change the CWs to FBs with support duty;

- change mentality to counter in some games/situations.

But be aware that any of this changes will take something off from the attack.

With Real I'm using always the same tactic, home and away, without changing anything. I will post my results when I finish the season, but it's been unbelievable so far, averaging almost 5 goals per game.

Anybody else finding you get a lot of disallowed goals with this tactic? And i mean A LOT. I have about 25 a season in all competitions. I also had 3 in one game. Im not sure if its just the game in general or this tactic as ive only really noticed since using this.

I'm in my fourth season with Arsenal. Managed to win the Premiership twice with the original tactic, although barely in the second season. The third, I changed to Marcelo's tweak and.. BOOM!

screen-shot-2014-04-17-at-10230-pm-146839.jpg

Great season! Isn't the goalscoring of this tactic amazing?

One last update on my Real Madrid save, what a fantastic season... Isco in particular has been amazing as the AMC.

There is also a small update on attacking corners: put your DCL to attack far post and the AML to stand on far post.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a nice tactic but I've found it doesn't work for me. When I switch O.I off I find myself going ahead then losing 3-1 or drawing games 4-4. When I keep it on, use tight marking, offside trap etc defence is a bit more solid and I win game 3-1. Think once I've finished this season I'll go back to the tactic & train the squad on it during pre-season. Also might be the fact I'm playing so many games that my players are tired etc & I've got a small squad which I'm gonna improve on.

Marcelo, your experience against equally good/better teams? I played against Bayern with Real and got buttsmashed.

In the first season the results against equal teams could go either way. As you progress in the game the results only get better and better, in the third season with Real I was undefeated and only lost some cup games when I played the reserves.

In the first season the results against equal teams could go either way. As you progress in the game the results only get better and better, in the third season with Real I was undefeated and only lost some cup games when I played the reserves.

Really tired of all the long shots aswell. From 30 shots, at least 23 of them are from 35 yards.

Edit: Reloaded for the 4th time, just got outplayed by Elche. Nice.

First season with Southampton using the original tactic I finished 4th in the league. Start of the second season I lost the Champions League qualifier and dropped to the Europa league. Changed to Marcelo's tweaked tactic around October and ended up finishing 3rd in the league, FA Cup runner up and Europa League winner.

Edit: Reloaded for the 4th time, just got outplayed by Elche. Nice.

Jose says hi.....

On a more serious note - reloading is a pointless exercise - fluke results happen (as per the sentence above) - so suck it up and move on!

Having used the one on the first page and the tweaked one.

all i can say is.. the Tweaked one is not as good as the standard one in terms of home games, Away from home it is blitzing, at home with the tweaked, less chances created and more goals conceded, guess i'll have to switch between the 2 then.

shame really, but A tactic that works better away from home then at home... I have never had this in all the versions i have played.

This tactic is as random as random gets. You either win 5-0 or lose 0-5 even if you are a favourite. Used it for 1 full season and now halfway through my second season. Sorry but I won't be using this tactis anymore. I just lost a match 0-3 against an opponent from Skybet League. They are last in the the table. Reloaded it and won 9-1.

This tactic is as random as random gets. You either win 5-0 or lose 0-5 even if you are a favourite. Used it for 1 full season and now halfway through my second season. Sorry but I won't be using this tactis anymore. I just lost a match 0-3 against an opponent from Skybet League. They are last in the the table. Reloaded it and won 9-1.

I just think it's the opposite. Yes, sometimes I get a beating, but most of the time the tactic is very stable. I.e.: I play with Feyenoord now. Comfortably on top, even if PSV and Ajax have better squads. Got beat by NAC, the number twelve, by 4-0, totally deserved. Things like that can happen. You have to take single matches not too seriously.

Alright Marcelo! Been flying with your tweak using it with a city team i took over in 2017. They had pretty much the same team when i arrived although they had all aged, and they had brought in a couple of superstars here and there. I took over and sold the deadwood and brought in some more superstars, so this tactic was perfect in unlocking the talent of my team. Won 12 in 12 so far quite comfortably, including wins against Bayern, Liverpool, Southampton and Newcastle (who believe it or not are the 2 big dogs in the league)

Was wondering if you have tweaked at all since you last posted ? Or are you still using the same tweaks you made the first time round?

Alright Marcelo! Been flying with your tweak using it with a city team i took over in 2017. They had pretty much the same team when i arrived although they had all aged, and they had brought in a couple of superstars here and there. I took over and sold the deadwood and brought in some more superstars, so this tactic was perfect in unlocking the talent of my team. Won 12 in 12 so far quite comfortably, including wins against Bayern, Liverpool, Southampton and Newcastle (who believe it or not are the 2 big dogs in the league)

Was wondering if you have tweaked at all since you last posted ? Or are you still using the same tweaks you made the first time round?

No, still the same. I started a save with Liverpool and dind't feel the need to tweak anything. I will post more screenshots shortly.

As I said, I started a new save with Liverpool. Still a very good team, but not as good as Real Madrid and also in a more competitive league. The results were very consistent, as you can see in the screenshts below.

My verdict on this tactic is (I used my tweaked version):

- Attacking wise it is second to none, you will score goals!

- The defense is the weak point (it's probably better in the original version). But If you are a top team, teams will not attack you so much, and defense won't be much of a problem in most games. Even if you let in some goals, you can always score more than them.

So, if you like attacking, high risk/high reward tactics, this is for you. However if you like more safe tactics or have a really weak team, then you should look for another tactic, at least for away and more difficult games.

Again, thanks Steaton for sharing a great tactic.

Here are my results with Liverpool:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No, still the same. I started a save with Liverpool and dind't feel the need to tweak anything. I will post more screenshots shortly.

It really is a great tactic Marcelo! Defence really isn't a problem with top teams as your players are individually skilled enough to deal with any threats regardless of what the tactical instructions are saying. Regardless, your team will always score with this tactic so if the opposition do bang in a few you will probs outscore them.

What do you use as match prep mate? Focus and scheduling bar?

Also team talks?

*He asks at the risk of being accused of wanting to be spoon fed lol*

It really is a great tactic Marcelo! Defence really isn't a problem with top teams as your players are individually skilled enough to deal with any threats regardless of what the tactical instructions are saying. Regardless, your team will always score with this tactic so if the opposition do bang in a few you will probs outscore them.

What do you use as match prep mate? Focus and scheduling bar?

Also team talks?

*He asks at the risk of being accused of wanting to be spoon fed lol*

hahaha no problem mate!

I use "team cohesion" on "average" and "teamwork" on 30% until my players reach "willing to die for each other" status. As son as they do, I change to "balanced" on "average" and "attacking movement" on 30%.

Team talks are key in this game. They make all the difference. I usually ask for my assistant recomendation and use it, unless I obviously disagree with his opinion. This is the best advice I can give. But you cant' always use the same team talks, like some guides out there that say "if winning, do this", "if losing, do that"... sometimes you have to surprise your players with a team talk that they are not expecting. When you get it right, the impact in the game is obvious.

As I said, I started a new save with Liverpool. Still a very good team, but not as good as Real Madrid and also in a more competitive league. The results were very consistent, as you can see in the screenshts below.

My verdict on this tactic is (I used my tweaked version):

- Attacking wise it is second to none, you will score goals!

- The defense is the weak point (it's probably better in the original version). But If you are a top team, teams will not attack you so much, and defense won't be much of a problem in most games. Even if you let in some goals, you can always score more than them.

So, if you like attacking, high risk/high reward tactics, this is for you. However if you like more safe tactics or have a really weak team, then you should look for another tactic, at least for away and more difficult games.

Again, thanks Steaton for sharing a great tactic.

Marcelo, r u a Liverpool fan?

I have tried the Original tactic before, it is an offensive scoring tactic with very inconsistent defence, so much so that i am often caught wide and can concede 2 and more goals easily to weaker teams suddenly even at Home. Certainly not as defensive or consistent as TS said.

For your tweaked version what changes were done if I may ask?

What did you do to the defence here?

How's the corner routine, any changes, attacking or defensive wise?

Marcelo, r u a Liverpool fan?

I have tried the Original tactic before, it is an offensive scoring tactic with very inconsistent defence, so much so that i am often caught wide and can concede 2 and more goals easily to weaker teams suddenly even at Home. Certainly not as defensive or consistent as TS said.

For your tweaked version what changes were done if I may ask?

What did you do to the defence here?

How's the corner routine, any changes, attacking or defensive wise?

Hi Jaskiew, no, I'm Brazilian and a São Paulo FC fan.

I made some defensive changes, as described in an earlier post, but overall my tweak is even more attacking than the original, that's how I like to play.

Corners have been changed as well, I rarely concede from it, and also score a few.

Marcelo - very nice tweak. Tried the original tactic for 3 seasons with Fiorentina. Good results.

Shifted to the tweaked version in 4 season. 15 games in... 13-1-1 and only conceded 7 goals.

I have a strong team - but still better results than the original one.

Lots of complaints here but it really is the best tactic out there, I won the Domestic Treble with Spurs in the 1st Season, Got RB Leipzig to the Champs League within 5 years, Can't be beaten as Man Utd. Just a few tweaks to Defence is all thats needed.

CWB's- untick stay wider/ lower league maybe change to full backs, I didn't though because I love how they get forward

CB's - Both DC's set to cover duty. Add 'hold position' and untick 'tight marking' like post #302 said.

Pre-season make as long as possible Team Cohesion- Tactics Only untick all rest, start date germany get 11 or 12 friendlies, retrain players, INDIVIDUAL ROLES ARE IMPORTANT, get fluid, MANAGE

Have a PLAN B for bigger Clubs and tough away games I recommend DOOM OF MEN and TFFs version of need a Goal(forgot name),

You don't even need to Train that one and only begin to Train Doom of Men after this Tactic is fully Fluid on all Slots.

After signing new players remember it takes time to gel a new team together NOT every Transfer always works no matter how Good the Player. Wait 10 games minimum for decent performances with weaker sides.

TEAM TALKS are more Important down the Divisions, GET IT GREEN FOLKS. experiment with MATCH training every club is different, I currently use defensive training and attacking movement with Leipzig and somehow results improved.

Lots of complaints here but it really is the best tactic out there, I won the Domestic Treble with Spurs in the 1st Season, Got RB Leipzig to the Champs League within 5 years, Can't be beaten as Man Utd. Just a few tweaks to Defence is all thats needed.

CWB's- untick stay wider/ lower league maybe change to full backs, I didn't though because I love how they get forward

CB's - Both DC's set to cover duty. Add 'hold position' and untick 'tight marking' like post #302 said.

Pre-season make as long as possible Team Cohesion- Tactics Only untick all rest, start date germany get 11 or 12 friendlies, retrain players, INDIVIDUAL ROLES ARE IMPORTANT, get fluid, MANAGE

Have a PLAN B for bigger Clubs and tough away games I recommend DOOM OF MEN and TFFs version of need a Goal(forgot name),

You don't even need to Train that one and only begin to Train Doom of Men after this Tactic is fully Fluid on all Slots.

After signing new players remember it takes time to gel a new team together NOT every Transfer always works no matter how Good the Player. Wait 10 games minimum for decent performances with weaker sides.

TEAM TALKS are more Important down the Divisions, GET IT GREEN FOLKS. experiment with MATCH training every club is different, I currently use defensive training and attacking movement with Leipzig and somehow results improved.

Are you talking about Marcelo's tweak or the original?

Also, can you upload some screenshots from your United save? Used it with city to great effect but interested to see how it works with United. They are my favourite team and looking to start a save with them next!

No Original Tactic with them few changes, although same would work with his tweak. 1st I want to share my Spurs save only mess up was vs Moscow were I played a reserve squad in the 1st leg and missed a pen in the 2nd and tosic got a wondergoal to deny us in the 88th min.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/john_mccarthy2/fm14/TottenhamHotspur_FixturesSchedule_zps09428034.png

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/john_mccarthy2/fm14/TottenhamHotspur_FixturesSchedule-2_zpse6d24ce0.png

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/john_mccarthy2/fm14/TottenhamHotspur_FixturesSchedule-3_zps5bfb25ad.png

Brand New Save this morning with UTD, Sold Hernandez for Major Money and Valencia no one would buy Young. In Doria, De Sciglio, Shaw and Verrati

Only mess up was trying a korean tactic vs Everton and Newcastle

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/john_mccarthy2/fm14/ManchesterUnited_FixturesSchedule_zps43efec80.png

hahaha no problem mate!

I use "team cohesion" on "average" and "teamwork" on 30% until my players reach "willing to die for each other" status. As son as they do, I change to "balanced" on "average" and "attacking movement" on 30%.

Team talks are key in this game. They make all the difference. I usually ask for my assistant recomendation and use it, unless I obviously disagree with his opinion. This is the best advice I can give. But you cant' always use the same team talks, like some guides out there that say "if winning, do this", "if losing, do that"... sometimes you have to surprise your players with a team talk that they are not expecting. When you get it right, the impact in the game is obvious.

How long you rate it takes before they reach that team understanding? I did it for a whole season but they only ever reached "our current players have forged an extremely strong understanding".

How long you rate it takes before they reach that team understanding? I did it for a whole season but they only ever reached "our current players have forged an extremely strong understanding".

If you didn't bring many new players, around halfway in the second season.

Archived