FM14 - "Screamers" from outside the box are completely gone

Hi,

What has happened to long shots in FM14? I never ever see "screamers" going in.. In real life football you see it almost every week, in FM14 it is non-existing. Every time my midfielders try to shot from outside the box the shot either gets blocked or goes well wide.

Has anyone noticed the opposite or do you agree?

Other than that I must say that it is a great game.

Mathial

I have scored a fair amount..and if you are referring to loads of long shots are you meaning from one team? If so then in real life one team doesnt score loads generally. Check the match highlights for other games in your save and the numbers will actually be fairly close to real life. To consistently score screamers you need players like pogba who is lethal..seen him grab 4 in one game...but his attributes are perfect for long shots.

I have quite a few long range shot goals from Gerrard (some really spectacular I must say), Lars bender & Joe Allen in my current Liverpool save over 5 seasons. Someone above mentioned Nicolas Gaitan, I too have him in my 1st 2 seasons and I also remember him scoring a long range into an empty goal with the GK out of position after taking a freekick outside the box, or something like that. Call it coincidence or not, seems like he is "pre-programmed" to do that :D

Btw, I am playing FMC but I doubt it has any difference as the match engine is the same on both modes of the game.

I have also looked at goals of the month, but yet to see screamers from open play. Good to hear that some of you at least have experienced it! It is though a bit strange that some have seen it quite 'often', while others haven't seen it at all.

I am still seeing long shots being scored, well from 1 guy that is, I bought him from the Barca B team and he plays as a BBM and he has scored 3 goals for me in about 11 games including friendlies, he does not do tap ins, all 3 goals have been belters from outside the box, he also hit 1 from about 35 yards that smacked the crossbar.

No name dropping but he was a bargain at 350k. :D

Not seen many long range goals, but I did see my striker hit the bar from 30 yards out trying to lob the keeper with two defenders marking him. I was rather annoyed when the game marked it as a CCC and said he'd missed a sitter.

Guest El Payaso

I was excited when reading about long shot goals being back before I was able to play with the new update. Now after fair amount of games: disappointed again. I've only seen one screamer in my games and even that was a bit cheap one as Lampard scored the only goal in our 0-1 victory over Man Utd: hit straight at the keeper but De Gea made some kind of mistake and parried the ball in. Lots of good chances to take shots from range but always hit without any real power and often without accuracy too.

My players very very rarely score long range goals, I won the league last season and I remember one goal from outside the box

But it's not just long shots, I find that the finishing from my supposedly world class forwards from anything thats not a sitter is absolutely diabolical, it's a good job I make so many chances, maybe its just 3d engine making chances look easier than they really are but Im sure shooting and finishing is a bit wrong this year. These same players missing shot after shot scoring only because they have so many chances yet they still get good ratings and are sought after by other clubs

I think it depends on the tactics you play and your individual instructions.

If you instruct the team to work the ball into the box and to retain possession, and set midfielders to more defensive roles, you shouldn't expect to see them taking long shots very often.

I think it depends on the tactics you play and your individual instructions.

If you instruct the team to work the ball into the box and to retain possession, and set midfielders to more defensive roles, you shouldn't expect to see them taking long shots very often.

This. I strongly discourage long range shots with the way my team is set up and avoid players who have long shots as PPM. I also hassle opponents and push a high line, so am more likely to give one up with a through ball to a striker behind my DC or a winger getting behind my full back as players 25 yards out don't get much chance to take a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't see many from my team and it annoys me when my team take loads and they're either straight at keeper or way off

Also my player with 17 freekicks doesn't score any freekicks

and to all those ppl who say if you watch one team youwon't see loads of long shots going in I've been watching man city for the last 2 months and I see a long goal every week on average

I am just entering my 7th season with psv and I have only seen 4 goals form over 25yds (both for and against) in that time. The goals in this match engine are extremely repetitive and its getting extremely tiresome.

If you are playing with the same tactics it will get repetitive. E.G. if you ask your players to play down the flanks and float balls into the box thats what they will try and do every game.

I regularly score long range screamers. I used to post video's of them in threads like this but i can't be bothered anymore.

My favourite type of screamer is when we have a throw in that both my team and the defending team expect to be a long throw into the box, (my AML has the ppm), but instead he throws it to my AMC lurrking outside the box. He gets closed down as the ball comes to him though so he hits it straight back out to my AML who takes 1 touch towards goal to interest the defenders and then passes back to my AMC who is still lurking outside the box who now has the time and space to take a touch and then smash it in.

Love it!

Archived