Star Player doesn't realise we qualified...so he's off.

So, 2022 and I have Woking in the Champions League for the first season. My star player (bought on a free and nursed up) is now worth 30-odd million and midway through last season began to agitate for a move to a bigger club. I told him that we could match his ambition by qualifying for the champions league within two seasons.

We qualified at the end of that season (finishing 4th) and beat Inter in the playoffs to enter the CL group stages. Now that is, by any stretch of the imagination, qualifying for the CL. However, he's still slightly concerned that he wants to move to a bigger club and when I try to talk to him about it, says that he's still waiting to see if I fulfil my earlier promises. Which I have!

It's an issue as he won't sign a new contract at the moment and i'll lose him on a free at the end of next season - what do I do?! Will it kick in that it has happened at the end of this first season in the CL? Or do I need to sell him this January to make sure I get a decent value? Any suggestions/experiences of this gladly received....

Thanks in advance!

I would keep him. He will probably be happy by the end of the season, plus if you tried to sell him you probably wouldnt get a penny for him anyway.

Promises seem broken in general. I promised my backup keeper he could leave at the end of the season. Has a go at me in April for not sticking to the promise.....the window wouldn't open for another few months..... and I had every intention of selling him.

Yeah, these stories do all point to a bug - or at least a series of players with serious delusions and mental health issues.

My situation resolved itself, so if it's any help for anyone else - he eventually submitted a transfer request due to broken promises, which I granted. Kept playing him, and doing quite well and he withdrew it under a month later and signed a new (albeit extortionate) contract. Everyone, it this circumstance at least, is a winner.

Had the same recently. One of my players wanted to leave to win trophies. Promised him we'd win the league that season (I was 11pts clear with a handful of games to go!). We won, he said he wanted to leave. It's obviously broken. A few weeks later he asked to stay. Now I want to sell him :)

if your managing lower clubs exorbitant contracts are out of the question i am not touching my save because of this 5 players want to leave the club

and having unhappy players on the field ruins team morale

Yeah, this is a fair point. I'm lucky in that, even though i'm a tiny club, i've done well enough with them to have built up some money, but if it had happened a couple of seasons ago i'd have been screwed.

In general I hate that the player expects me to get him sold, I'm paying absurd amounts in agent fees that the player really should be paying (he's the one who hired the agent, right?) and then he expects me to get him sold. WTF.

Get your damn agent to do the job, mate, and bugger off. :eek:

Anyways this topic just made me need to fume a bit, hope it's alright :D

Archived