Need guidance after promotion ...

Hello,

I just got promoted from Skrill North to Skrill Premier. After extensive research I found out that all my players are not even close to the quality required for the current division. The free market also contains no players capable of the division.

I want to know what you guys did once you got promoted, did you keep the current players? when did you start buying players, etc.

Thanks.

Well just think about what teamd in real life do. Newly teams usually bring in fresh faces, especially those who have experience in the new league you're in.

Yes, that was what I was going to do, but the people available in the market are worse than the players I already have, and the players I already have are not good enough for the new league even to avoid relegation.

I'm very surprised the free agent market is so lacking, normally at that level you have hundreds to choose from. The youth players of big clubs who have been released is one of the main places to look, some of these guys are very cheap to sign in wages, or even eligible for youth contracts still, and most are keen to sign to get the regular games. Loans is another avenue, and the transfer listed players often has a lot of players available on a free.

You can also poach the better players from the lower levels, the amateur/non-contract guys can be picked up free.

Best thing I can suggest is to wing it. I've gone through it recently and found the same issue. You might be able to pick up one or two capable of performing at the next level but certainly not a whole team. Reputation and finances will see to that.

The problem I had is that nobody wants to come. Any players I try and get in on loan their club would prefer them to play with higher calibre players which rules them out and the ones left are barely, if any, better than what you have.

I just tried to strengthen as much as I could and hoped for the best. It worked out and I stayed up comfortably in the end and by the time I'd consolidated my rep and and everything else had improved and the rest fell into place and i could sign better players to "push on". It's hard in LLM especially when you have to try and build the club up at the same time but be patient and it will come.

You will often experience a "first season syndrome" where you will overachieve. This is because other teams will always go out attacking against you, because they deem you weaker. However, especially at this level, if you just defend solidly and in a disciplined fashion, and hit them on the counter, you will often take some big scalps.

The second season is the bigger problem, as teams start to play a more defensively solid game against you as your reputation increases. If you have not strengthened from your first season sufficiently, you are most likely to get relegated the second time around.

This is at least how I have experienced it. I got Oxford City promoted to the Skrill Premier in my third season. I competed for a play off spot until the end of the season! Results then fell away and I slipped to around 12th position. I took some pretty big scalps including recently relegated Wycombe. However, I have struggled much more in my 2nd and 3rd Skrill Premier seasons, despite having a somewhat improved squad.

The step up from the SN to the SP can be quite big, but if you just get a couple of real quality players to build your side around then you should be fine. It's quite easy to get bogged down in that league, with my AFC Telford saves I normally either win it first time or spend 3 or 4 seasons trying to get out of it

I'm finding in the lower leagues, determination and workrate can be far more vital. They're difficult leagues, so some work horses make a huge difference.

Also, some of your current squad might be better than you expect, I played a AMR/MR that was 1.5 stars for my squad, from the Skrill North all the way to League Two, and he was consistently important, often a game winner.

Archived