4-2-3-1 help needed.

Well, what do you need help with? how is it fairing?

I can see straight away you have all your attack down the left side, you need some on the other side aswell, I would swap El Shawadawady to support and Saponara o Attack, or your team will be obvious in attack. Also I would swap to Counter rather than control.

But would help to know what help is needed.

Missing too many CCC's, most of them by Balotelli. And fairly inconsistent performances. I win 5:0 in one match, and I lose the second by 3:1 or something. I'm second in the league as of writing, so not too bad, but these CCC's are my worst problem. Having 5 of them in some matches, scoring one or none.

FM is liberal with what it classes as a CCC. If you watch them all back, you might reappraise whether they were actually clear cut or not.

In real life, conversion of clear chances has been confirmed somewhere on these forums at 33% from the very best finishers, and I'd argue that Balotelli isn't in that bracket so a 20% return wouldn't be bad. CCCs certainly aren't as nailed on as many people seem to think.

don't spend too much time worrying about CCC, look at how those chances are made in the analysis screens. You definitely need to sort out your right side attacking wise though. But once you see what sort of chances hs missing that will be a start. He doesn't have much back up apart from shawadawady. Also what are Balotellis PPM's? they can be a hindrance in certain scenarios.

Balotelli have worst PPM that is on FM, shoots from distance. Can't get him to untrain that. Will do what you say with AML and AMR, but Shaarawy was on support for most of the season, and played badly. Started playing better. And Saponara has just scored 4 against Roma as support. Talking about inconsistent performances. Game before I drew 0:0 against Sampdoria.

remember swap contrrol for at least counter

Out of interest - why do you give that advice?

To the opening poster, why have you chosen the Team Instructions you have?

You have a highish line by default on Control, but choose to Drop Deeper.

That in isolation is fine, but then you Hassle Opponents, which would function better from the higher line.

You Exploit The Flanks, but for me that is the sort of instruction you tailor on a game by game basis - it wouldn't be a good idea against any shape with two banks of four, as an example.

Why Float Crosses? Balotelli is strong and tall, but will often be contending against two DCs by himself. El Shaarawy is neither tall nor strong.

Ask yourself questions of all the Instructions you set. If you can't justify them, take them off.

I was going to say, just saying "change to counter" isn't really helpful at all. I pretty much stick with Standard, but have found attacking mentality to be quite useful away from home with a few tweaks. You should be thinking in terms of your overall strategy, rather than changing mentality, or any other single command, they each have an effect on everything else you do.

Fwiw, looking at your tactic, I can see why it could be a little inconsistent. Playing with a support role in the AM strata, and an attack role as your forward may well work v some set ups, but v others it will be remarkably easy to play against. I like to have several different set ups, that attack in different ways. If the Striker and the AM are getting taken out of the game, then just changing things around a little in the attacking 3rd can unlock teams, without making drastic changes to your overall tactic.

Out of interest - why do you give that advice?

Because I think Control is one of the worst mentalities unless you are playing against a diabolical team. ANd I seem to be obsessed with Counter as I have found it's the best for attack, in my opinion of course. Also he has drop deeper, which will open gaps between the defence and midfield. How can you control a match if there are massive gaps?

I actually play a very similar formation to the one you have here. The main difference I have is that I have to CM(D) in my midfield, because I find that there is far too much space left between midfield and defence otherwise. I also try to use these players are outlets to recycle possession when I am attacking, and to feed my AMC who is an AP(s) (as you have). I too play with all my attacking down the left, but I tell my IF(A) to get further forward and sit narrower, so he almost is a wide striker when I am attacking. This gives my WB(A) more space, and space is what you want.

Have you thought about trying the combination of 'work ball into box' and 'pass into space'? If you are playing a quick passing game, which I assume you want to with a higher tempo, I have found that this provides a lot of through balls for my front 3 to work with.

Finally, remember that football matches are situational - you may have to change how you play for a different game. It depends who you are playing, and how you expect them to play. I have found that going defensive in the final quarter of a match if I have a lead helps. This usually means I drop deeper, play slower to take the sting from the game, and try to keep the ball without committing too many people.

Funny how you and I both bought Doria and Murru our Milan saves!

I would stick El Sharaawy on the right as a Winger attack, sorta in the same vein as Walcott at Arsenal. Saponara on the left as IF(s). Support IF is more of a dribbler/creator and Attack IF is more getting on the end of through balls.

I'd also consider changing your playstyle from a high tempo passing style to a high tempo dribbling style. Reason being Milan's players aren't particularly smart. Low stats in decisions passing creativity teamwork etc but very high flair. Milan's not so much a team of talented individuals but a collection of them.

Archived