Gibraltar Challenge

My attempt died a death. I started during a week i was off work. Since then not really had time to play. I'm off work again this week but so far i've been busy.

Might pick it up again tonight if i get chance.

I used an unofficial leauge download. took till like 2024 to get professional and that was because of a fluke CL Qualifying run that saw me get to the group stages.

The standard of the youth intakes were terrible (despite max junior coaching), mainly because I was never able to increase youth recruitment network (possibly because the club rep stat never got a big enough increase?) and also due to the nation itself probably being low down the youth standards.

As a professional club though it is possible to bring in foreign players which does allow for slight progress in Europe, not sure I can be bothered to carry on though as the domestic games are very repetitive.

I've reached 2043, and last year was our first foray into the Champions League group stages. I think we've managed three Europa League group stage appearances, but beyond that it's been slim pickings. The league games have been getting easier and easier, with a defensive record of only four goals conceded being the record so far. A few unbeaten seasons. We have slipped up in the cups a lot though, which is unfortunate, but not too much of a problem.

I think we're in a pretty good position though - our facilities are moving along nicely thanks to the Champions league money and a takeover by a consortium. We have great youth facilities and average training, and I'll be improving those further once the waiting period is over. If we can qualify for the group stage of either the Europa or Champions League for the next few seasons, our rep should increase to the point where we can start qualifying regularly, and from there it should be plain sailing. Should be.

I've been having a fiddle with this and im into my second season. I'm playing as Britannia XI which was a random pick. Won the 2nd league on the last day and also the knockout and Rock cup! In the Europa League 1st qual. we beat St Johnstone 2-1 at home, 4-1 away but were knocked out by Dinamo Minsk after 2-2 at home, 2-5 away.

National team has been depressing. No positive results in friendlies and we started our first two competitive games 0-12 to Montenegro and 0-8 to Sweden...edit: add to that 1-4 to Liechtenstein.

• 2 months later...

They did better than me in my first season :p

I'm now attempting this for a second time having "completed" it with Lincoln a while back. Now using the unofficial update which adds reserve leagues amongst other things. Should make things a bit more realistic and hopefully more enjoyable to play in.

I can't believe you are going again? Why not try a different challenge?

What happened? Did your save die or just get boring?

[Edit]

yes I know I should go and read your thread. :lol:

The first time around I sort of got to the natural end of the game, and my manager was getting too old to be entirely realistic. I reached a natural conclusion, had a two year jolly as Scotland manager, and called it a day. I then tried a number of new saves, but could never quite get into them, so now find myself right back where I started on the same challenge. Hopefully bring some more variety to the table once FM15 is released - have struggled to get into 14 so far, apart from with my beloved Lincoln...

Archived