Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

I agree with your general point, I see way too much stuff that makes me go "Right, that has never, ever happened in the history of football", but the points you mention about long throws in and corner routiners are probably down to a PPM (Bullet throws or whatever it's called) and set piece instructions.

Much the same with me actually, as to the pause from FM. Not played it since FM2010, so expected a big step forward. Not quite so. Of course there are improvements, but it seems to go at a snail pace, and I still see many things that were mucked up in FM2010 still being mucked up in FM2014. On the ME, it can be infuriating to see full matches, simply because you see so much wacko behaviour from the players.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pangaea, I believe I did not put instructions for long throw, in fact I double checked that just a few weeks back.

I believe that in their hunger to release edition year after year and in trying to introduce new features to attract and retain fans, they have rushed a lot of things, glossed over many things and created problems after problems. Some of these issues are perhaps too time consuming and too complicated (deeply coded) to solve.

FM should really stop production of the next edition, and take a step back.

A lot of basic issues should be eradicated and players' AI must be improved dramatically to enable the game to be played and viewed in full.

I mean, how stupid is it to see players walking towards the back of the dugout and emerging through it??? And in a game that has been around for decades?!

It's utterly disappointing and ridiculous that perhaps the world's most popular football management game can still be so bad in its most basic form.

I for one would not be buying the next few editions other something is done to over haul it. Hell, I hope that some worthy competitor would give FM a run for its money. There is just not enough quality competition to sharpen FM.

theballstopshere. While you do make some good points, cosmetic stuff like the subs and the bench wall are of absolutely no importance to me. That stuff should be at the bottom of a long list of things to fix, (so far down that we need not even discuss it).

I played FM09 for literally years and just had a quick little go on FM13 before delving properly into FM14 and I think the development has been huge. I don't really understand how anyone can say that it hasn't.

Scouts, like most areas are not perfect, but I have found gems with them, (it's all I use). Anyway, not going to tear your whole post apart because I think you make some decent points, but i don't entirely agree with you either.

You do know you don't have to buy every release of the game?

Hey jim, likewise i do agree with you but not entirely. to me, "cosmetics stuff" are things that make or break the game as it the most basic. I mean, look FM has been around for what, two decades? i really cannot fathom how such simple, basic stuff can be missed year after year.

Why is there even a "long list of things to fix"? In a game that is two decades old?

I don't see the point of having some fanciful feature when the game has so many flaws at its most basic point. It just seems like a lambo with rims made in Taiwan? haha.

The point on scouts, well i guess it might vary from game to game. so i am not going to argue that.

Pangaea, I believe I did not put instructions for long throw, in fact I double checked that just a few weeks back.

Just to take this point, I meant that the bloke taking your throwins probably has a PPM (special 'move') that is called Bullet-throws or something like that. If he takes throw-ins, he will throw it as far as he can, and people will gather in the box instead of around the thrower. You can probably solve it by selecting other people as throw-in takers in the set pieces section under Tactics.

Can someone help me? Didn't want to start a new thread.

So basically, I agreed this transfer for a player. Put in a transfer bid, had it accepted. Had the contract accepted. Had the work-permit rejected even after appealing. I have a feeder club for work permit issues, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Now I got the confirm transfer screen. I chose to delay the transfer (by a week). But after a week I got no notification to confirm the transfer. It's three weeks now and the said player is still under transfer bid (my bid). Is there any way I can confirm the transfer manually?

I mean, look FM has been around for what, two decades? i really cannot fathom how such simple, basic stuff can be missed year after year.

Why is there even a "long list of things to fix"? In a game that is two decades old?

Because there's this thing called progress...you complained in the other thread that it was the same game year on year, and yet you seem to be advocating not putting anything new in and just fixing cosmetic things. That would be the very definition of the same game. As they develop and add new things, other things break. That's how software development works. Some things get fixed, some don't. The big things take precedence, and often the little things won't get fixed. Again, that's how it works. If that doesn't work for you then lower your expectations I guess. No piece of software will be without bugs. If the main thing that's wrong is that a sub walks through a dugout, then I'd be delighted.

Because there's this thing called progress...you complained in the other thread that it was the same game year on year, and yet you seem to be advocating not putting anything new in and just fixing cosmetic things. That would be the very definition of the same game. As they develop and add new things, other things break. That's how software development works. Some things get fixed, some don't. The big things take precedence, and often the little things won't get fixed. Again, that's how it works. If that doesn't work for you then lower your expectations I guess. No piece of software will be without bugs. If the main thing that's wrong is that a sub walks through a dugout, then I'd be delighted.

Not true. I know what you mean, but I felt like being pedantic.

Well, hate to break it to you, but it is true. Every piece of software has bugs. Every single one.

When I was 9 I wrote a program that, when run, wrote my name on the screen and exited. When I ran it, it wrote my name on the screen and exited, no bugs. Guess I must be the Mozart of software engineering in your little black and white world.

When I was 9 I wrote a program that, when run, wrote my name on the screen and exited. When I ran it, it wrote my name on the screen and exited, no bugs. Guess I must be the Mozart of software engineering in your little black and white world.

That's called a macro where I come from :D

In three seasons at Everton I've only had one bid for a player where I haven't actively tried to sell them i.e transfer list or offer to clubs and that was a year and a half ago! I think it was reported elsewhere but this surely must be a bug? When I started a Porto league I had clubs bidding for my players left, right and centre!

Scouting, coaching and Staff recruitment need to be much more user friendly. I let my Head Scout take care of things but he is a bit pants. Two years in and the Clubs scouting knowledge is a bit poor so you find yourself trying to do his job for him.

Same with Staff recruitment. I ended up with two Under 18 Assistant Managers at one point. I them decided neither were particularly good so sacked them both and upgraded Rio Ferdinand from a player to the U18 Assistant, but I hadn't changed the Staff Responsibilities so a day later my Chairman sacked Rio and installed some unknown from some village somewhere!! How can he sack a staff member 24 hours into his contract?!

So at the start of my third season I have tried to sort my Staff manually by sacking various members and bringing in the correct amount of coaches EG GK Coach for seniors, U21's and U18's although I am not sure how much difference it makes having to have say a Fitness coach for each squad? What I do find though is that finding say an Under 18 Assistant or the like is very difficult. Most U18 Assistants will want a first team coaching position for example, very few who are employed elsewhere with either the U18's or U21's will join you for an identical position. If you leave it to your DOF you tend to get a mish mash of staff with not all positions through all squads filled although as I say how important not having an U18 Fitness Coach for example is I am not sure?

It's the same with training. Leaving it to my Assistant he tends to do the same thing all the time, like Attacking Set Pieces for 6 months, and sooner or later I have half a dozen players who are either having too much training or not enough. The only way around this is to do it yourself.

Either the skills and intelligence of Staff needs to be drastically improved or have a regular meeting where you can ask the Head Scout where you want covered or tell the Assistant you want intensity in training upped or lowered or telling your DOF which Staff positions you want filled.

And one of my biggest gripes please can we have a selection of goalkeepers who are happy to be understudies!! You just cannot sign a decent keeper as a backup it seems so you end up with an unhappy keeper 3 months down the line due to not playing!!

And one of my biggest gripes please can we have a selection of goalkeepers who are happy to be understudies!! You just cannot sign a decent keeper as a backup it seems so you end up with an unhappy keeper 3 months down the line due to not playing!!

What status are you signing them up on? I rarely have problems with backup keepers as long as they know when they sign that they are going to be backup to the No.1 keeper.

Scouting, coaching and Staff recruitment need to be much more user friendly. I let my Head Scout take care of things but he is a bit pants. Two years in and the Clubs scouting knowledge is a bit poor so you find yourself trying to do his job for him.

Same with Staff recruitment. I ended up with two Under 18 Assistant Managers at one point. I them decided neither were particularly good so sacked them both and upgraded Rio Ferdinand from a player to the U18 Assistant, but I hadn't changed the Staff Responsibilities so a day later my Chairman sacked Rio and installed some unknown from some village somewhere!! How can he sack a staff member 24 hours into his contract?!

So at the start of my third season I have tried to sort my Staff manually by sacking various members and bringing in the correct amount of coaches EG GK Coach for seniors, U21's and U18's although I am not sure how much difference it makes having to have say a Fitness coach for each squad? What I do find though is that finding say an Under 18 Assistant or the like is very difficult. Most U18 Assistants will want a first team coaching position for example, very few who are employed elsewhere with either the U18's or U21's will join you for an identical position. If you leave it to your DOF you tend to get a mish mash of staff with not all positions through all squads filled although as I say how important not having an U18 Fitness Coach for example is I am not sure?

It's the same with training. Leaving it to my Assistant he tends to do the same thing all the time, like Attacking Set Pieces for 6 months, and sooner or later I have half a dozen players who are either having too much training or not enough. The only way around this is to do it yourself.

Either the skills and intelligence of Staff needs to be drastically improved or have a regular meeting where you can ask the Head Scout where you want covered or tell the Assistant you want intensity in training upped or lowered or telling your DOF which Staff positions you want filled.

I agree with the training bit. If you leave it up to your assistant, your best prospects won't get trained appropriately. They'll spend too much time on skills that they already excel at or they'll be trained in roles that they are unlikely to ever play for you. But, if you take over training, you suddenly have to micromanage everything, including every no-hoper on the youth squad. It really should be more customizable, letting us designate on an individual player basis. I'd also like to see a setting that just tells the assistant to adjust weekly general training intensity to the level that will make the most players happy that week given their individual training schedules as doing it yourself from week to week often requires just a bit of guesswork.

I have to agree with goalkeepers as well. Even when they are signed as backups, if you hit a tough stretch in the schedule where you need your starter in goal for a few weeks in a row the backups are way too quick to demand more first team time. I brought in a younger backup to train up one year. I didn't start him the first game of the season as it was against a good team, Arsenal if memory serves. After the very first game, the youngster was in the office demanding to be loaned out for first team experience.

Maybe it's just a higher league thing then. In six seasons in the Skrill South/Premier, I haven't had a single issue with a backup keeper demanding first team football. I have a keeper just now who is decent, but hasn't played a single game this season as my first choice keeper is really good for this level, and he's not once demanded a meeting.

Of course you know what'll happen the next time I click continue now eh? :lol:

Maybe it's just a higher league thing then. In six seasons in the Skrill South/Premier, I haven't had a single issue with a backup keeper demanding first team football. I have a keeper just now who is decent, but hasn't played a single game this season as my first choice keeper is really good for this level, and he's not once demanded a meeting.

Of course you know what'll happen the next time I click continue now eh? :lol:

I don't know. I'm in the Premier League and my backup keeper is only 17. His squad status is backup to the first team. We're halfway through the season and I've given him Capital One Cup games so far and not a peep.

I don't know. I'm in the Premier League and my backup keeper is only 17. His squad status is backup to the first team. We're halfway through the season and I've given him Capital One Cup games so far and not a peep.

Probably comes down to personality and hidden attributes. I've just settled on keeping two great keepers and rotating them almost every other game. That keeps everyone happy.

Of course, it's not just a keeper issue. That's just where it's mostly likely to come up. I have 19 year old backups at central defender and striker. It's late December. The CD has made 13 appearances. He just requested his second meeting of the season. The striker has made a lot fewer first team appearances. Haven't head a peep out of him.

Could be a personality thing. Not a keeper in my case, but a young midfielder was unhappy about not being in the first team. I probably said something wrong, and he got angry. Then I put him in the U19 as I thought he could play games there, but he was too old. That didn't help! :D 18 months later and he's still alienated, and won't talk to me - and that is after I've asked the captain to have a chat with him about 8 times.

Probably comes down to personality and hidden attributes. I've just settled on keeping two great keepers and rotating them almost every other game. That keeps everyone happy.

Of course, it's not just a keeper issue. That's just where it's mostly likely to come up. I have 19 year old backups at central defender and striker. It's late December. The CD has made 13 appearances. He just requested his second meeting of the season. The striker has made a lot fewer first team appearances. Haven't head a peep out of him.

Hidden attributes, possibly. Ambition, I guess?

I've had players complain about needing first team football and usually they are correct. It's either players in their mid-20s who have fallen out of favour and they haven't had a start in 3-4 weeks or it's 19yo players who have the potential but not quite there in ability. I'm more careful with them. They get cup games or league games where I can really afford to play them.

What status are you signing them up on? I rarely have problems with backup keepers as long as they know when they sign that they are going to be backup to the No.1 keeper.

Various really. Couldn't find any decent ones premier League standard who would agree to be a back up keeper so the odd one on rotation which I can understand but recently signed Ross Turnbull as a backup and a few months later he was asking to leave. Did try signing one as a rotation and then cheekily changing his status to back up but the sod noticed!! Ironically Jaaskilienen (or however you spell it) did come back as a back up and not a peep but most of the time even keepers in their mid to late 30's don't really accept a back up role.

It seems to not only be keepers though. Most of my 18 / 19 year olds seem to ask to be let out on loan and it's irritating with the new rules which mean you can't recall them. Most come back from loan not any better than when they left as well which seems a bit of a waste. It's probably because I leave the Assistant to training but I don't think I have ever had a young player come through the ranks!!

I've got a keeper at Bath who is frankly too good for us. His contract is up at the end of the season, and he won't sign a new contract. He's just requested a meeting to discuss our ambitions. Here's how it went...

wPHjKRx.jpg

That would all seem fair enough until you realise there is ONE game left of the current season, and the team can't get a playoff place as we're just too far behind. So, although I've promised him promotion next season, he 'can't wait that long' even though it's impossible for me to achieve this season.

Feckin' thick players :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
FB32857BF563A65C88812073B65A34CB30ADBDDE

this advice makes no sense

1. Januzaj already plays most of the time

2. Meyer didn't play the last game

3. Meyer only plays when Januzaj is tired.

I get this every time i play one of my backups or youngsters. Even if it's just their first (and perhaps the only) game.

Hope they will seriously take a look at the backroom advice screen.

I know Alex Crawford has said several times that there is deliberately poor advice as well as good advice, but I'd like to see the so-called "poor advice" be a little more realistic. Maybe left field stuff, rather that downright silly.

For example, a "poor" piece of advice could be "I recommend we try playing (best striker) in a wider role to utilise his crossing", rather than "I recommend we get (best striker) to learn to dive into tackles"

Poor advice is okay I guess, but when I've dismissed said poor advice for the 17th time, then it really is about time to know that I'm not interested in teaching CBs to dribble or fullbacks to give the ball away with crossfield passes. I see this "advice" every single time, and after 6 years it's getting a bit old.

The whole area could use some serious revamping. I'd rather get a lot more advice about tutoring and especially USEFUL PPMs, as it's something I tend to forget about, instead of the pretty lame stuff about loaning out freckled kids or handing out new contracts to people with loads of years left on theirs.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know. Just saw they'd been sacked. No matter how they were doing Liverpool and man city wouldn't sack they're managers after only a few months into the season. West ham maybe but not them.

Why not? Why would teams, especially in the case of City where expectations are high, not sack their manager?

Can you check back and see exactly where they were in the league when the sackings occurred?

I know I'm slow and I know I'm late. Sorry about that. But...

Apparently, the new 4-2-3-1 is now 4-4-1-1, the new 4-2DM-3-1 is now 4-2DM2-1-1, and the new 4-3-3 is now 4-1DM-4-1. After I watched what the German researchers did in the January patch, and after I did some test myself, I came to the conclusion that using M L/R instead of AM L/R is much better: teams are more solid, more consistent and, ultimately, play better football.

However, there are still hundreds of AI managers who still play "classic" 4231, 4231 Denmark, 433 and even 424, and thousands of players who can only play as AM R/L.

Ditto for 3-5-2 vs 5-3-2.

The in-game descriptions of "mentality" and "fluidity" are misleading; (certain) roles, duties and individual instructions are hard to understand, partly because the same player (in the same position) performs differently depending on the ME version.

Italian youth teams have an average of 35-40 players, most of them are 16 years old with random CA/PA. The Italian U20 teams (known as "Primavera") have players from 18 to 20 years old, maybe three or four younger players with (presumably) high potential, and that's it. You desperately want to add 16 years old players? Then create a U18 team, instead of inflating the U20 squad with junk.

Sometimes I feel that the people involved in the making of the game ignore what the others are doing...

This might be a known issue but is this a bug?

I've noticed throughout my current save that match odds can be volatile and that in European competition in particular, my team are facing very unrealistic expectations sometimes from the bookies and my boardroom.

The screenshot below illustrates an inconsistency here.

1. World Soccer are saying the match will be a close call, probably about right

2. SkyBet have me as overwhelming favourites

NapolivSunderland_PreviewMatchAnalysis_zpse371f6c6.png

Lovely. 17 years old and not yet a starter (but gets the odd game) of a CL chasing team, so it's time to throw your toys out of the pram and decide it's time to leave to further your career.

Sigh.

It would be nice if players behaved like... you know... human beings.

• 4 weeks later...

As it pains me to say it SI have killed this game.

I have been playing FM since FM 2007 which was the hardest one for me to play but realistic. But since the latest patch of 14 they have just killed all fun within this game. The game is now brutal, not difficult just brutal.

At least in Fm13 you had to make odd tactical tweaks but in 14 it feels that you have to almost completely change tactic every game in this one for you to even stand a chance of a respectable league position which means your team will never become completely comfortable with the Tactics.

Furthermore there is a problem with the motivation of the players so i.e. I am using Dartford in BSP and find that I beat Luton 3 - 0 one game and the team barely reacted to praise and left it on good, then get a 2 - 2 draw away to Gateshead and despite positive reactions to team talk they are now on poor/abysmal.

Final annoying flaw as well how easy it is to drop into annoying runs of crap results (So won 4 on the bounce, then come from behind to draw now have drawn/lost last 5 games). It isn't fun anymore it is just irritating and not a good game.

Come SI you are alienating a hardcore longstanding supporter of this once magical game.

I do not expect to smash every save, but I expect the game to not be so infuriatingly stupid and I fully expect like in the real world a well thought out tactic to actually have more of an impact than 4 games with game by game adjustments so if you want to attempt to be stupid and say (It yur tactics m8, on previous patch worked just fine) then I am not interested in hearing it.

I hope SI actually listen to their supporters because if nothing changes I will just not buy the next game for the first time in 8 years.

As it pains me to say it SI have killed this game.

I have been playing FM since FM 2007 which was the hardest one for me to play but realistic. But since the latest patch of 14 they have just killed all fun within this game. The game is now brutal, not difficult just brutal.

At least in Fm13 you had to make odd tactical tweaks but in 14 it feels that you have to almost completely change tactic every game in this one for you to even stand a chance of a respectable league position which means your team will never become completely comfortable with the Tactics.

Furthermore there is a problem with the motivation of the players so i.e. I am using Dartford in BSP and find that I beat Luton 3 - 0 one game and the team barely reacted to praise and left it on good, then get a 2 - 2 draw away to Gateshead and despite positive reactions to team talk they are now on poor/abysmal.

Final annoying flaw as well how easy it is to drop into annoying runs of crap results (So won 4 on the bounce, then come from behind to draw now have drawn/lost last 5 games). It isn't fun anymore it is just irritating and not a good game.

Come SI you are alienating a hardcore longstanding supporter of this once magical game.

I do not expect to smash every save, but I expect the game to not be so infuriatingly stupid and I fully expect like in the real world a well thought out tactic to actually have more of an impact than 4 games with game by game adjustments so if you want to attempt to be stupid and say (It yur tactics m8, on previous patch worked just fine) then I am not interested in hearing it.

I hope SI actually listen to their supporters because if nothing changes I will just not buy the next game for the first time in 8 years.

If it is like that, then how come there are countless people achieving ridiculous levels of success? Just because you can't beat it doesn't mean it's automatically "wrong" or "flawed". It's a difficult game, you either accept that, get better and end up beating it, or accept it's not for you.

Personally I haven't got into 14 at all, and have gone back to playing 13. Doesn't mean that there's any problems with the game, just that it doesn't suit me like earlier versions did.

I'm not sure weather this should go in the wishlist thread or not as its not exactly a feature, but a couple of things I think for FM15 (I know, I know it's a bit late now) I think will make life bit easier

On the tactics page, on the right where you create the roles and formation. If you click the player it takes you to his profile page, Has you can do this on the squad list. I think that clicking the players name should take you to the Player instructions page. And right clicking, which normally gives you the menu list for the player, should instead give an overview of what personal instructions (both for position and specific players) the player has.

I feel this will give the user a quicker and better overview of the tactic being used especially if the user is tweaking a tactic to adapt to a certain team strengths and weaknesses.

I finally managed to get into a save after a few months of not playing. I chose Lyon, I was having great fun, I managed to sneak a league and cup double in my first season, and although still very flawed it was enjoyable enough to overlook the issues.

Of course though, I made the mistake of signing a couple of players, which ruined the chemistry thing. I'm basically out of the title race in October, I'm probably going to be sacked. My goalkeeper can't do anything, my strikers can no longer score. I'm conceding the same type of goal too. Cross (or corner) followed by a near post header. Nothing I do can stop it.

This game could be so good, but it's not just fun. I gave it one final go at least.

Archived