Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

I think the fact it could be so many things just adds to the frustration.

In real life, if a player is nervous I can go up to him and ask him why. But there's no private chat option for it.

It really isn't that complicated. I mentioned all the possible factors that I know of, because he wanted to know. It's easy to see if a player is over-confident/complacent. Low confidence and morale go hand in hand, imo, and in-game events affecting this you can see by watching what happens on the pitch. Same with the opposition targeting the player with hard tackles.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a keeper right now who punches those more than he catches, but I guess that has to do with his tendency to punch attribute. It does happen, but 'keepers could be improved quite a bit on crosses.

No, it's not stupid. You need to manage your team better.

it is stupid, its the way it happens, Why should Man Utd be nervous away to Reading, or some other bottom end of the table club, but never nervous when they play top teams, hence stupidity.

it is stupid, its the way it happens, Why should Man Utd be nervous away to Reading, or some other bottom end of the table club, but never nervous when they play top teams, hence stupidity.

when, do they Become nervous in the match? Wat is the score then? Let me also ask, what your team talk was, before the game?

Well that should be fairly obvious tbh.

They are away to a team that everyone expects them to beat easily, in your media comments & team talk you perhaps put more pressure on the team and those players that don't handle pressure well or have weak personalities can easily get nervous from fear of letting the team down.

Well that should be fairly obvious tbh.

They are away to a team that everyone expects them to beat easily, in your media comments & team talk you perhaps put more pressure on the team and those players that don't handle pressure well or have weak personalities can easily get nervous from fear of letting the team down.

I am on a huge domestic unbeaten run (managing Celtic) and we almost just lost to Motherwell. I was playing the Reserves because we have Chelsea in Europe during the week and the players were 1-0 down going into injury time. I think there was only 1 player who's body language was not negative, (and he was a Model Pro). All the others were literally pooing themselves and panicking. I think it's really realistic. There is more than 1 type of pressure. I honestly think this little part of the game works really well. (Surprisingly well when you consider the depths involved).

Fine. But the point I am trying to make is that if tactics are faulty, why does that translate into strikers missing chances which my centre backs can convert? Surely if tactics are the problem then the striker shouldn't be finding himself in striking positions.

The other quite annoying thing I constantly (yes, constantly, easily once a match if not more) is a GK taking hold of the ball then running it out for a corner. Does anyone else see this?

I'm with you about the long shots and stupid angles. Just come off the back of a 0-0 draw with Chelsea. By any metric I dominated the game.

Posession 60%-40&

Shots 19- 5

On target 9 - 0

Corners 12- 0

Pass completion 78% 64%

Chelsea were reduced to long shots because we were solid defensively. Chelsea were all over the place at the back, but my players simply chose to act like idiots having a kick about. Full backs and wide midfielders cutting in and shooting ten yards out and two yards from the by line constantly. One full back attempted this FOUR times and has no PPMs. AM's and Strikers put clean thru electing to shoot from 30 yards. Seems to me that decision making is influenced by stats. The full back mentioned earlier has better shooting stats than passing or crossing. So although the obvious and sensible thing to do is cross the ball or cut it back, the player seems to think "I am better at shooting than passing" which leads to ridiculous frustration.

I was nearly inclined to rage quit after losing the semi final of the European Cup 1-0 over two legs when three times in the return leg my striker was put clean through and shot from 20-30 yards out under no pressure.

Is it normal for tactics changes and substitutions to take an average of about 6 - 8 minutes to complete? I made a substitution in my last match at the 77th minute and he didn't come on until the 86th I think it was. That wasn't a one-off either as my subs seem to always come on about that length of time after I actually make them. It's the same as tactic changes although it's usually the subs that take ages to come on.

Is it normal for tactics changes and substitutions to take an average of about 6 - 8 minutes to complete? I made a substitution in my last match at the 77th minute and he didn't come on until the 86th I think it was. That wasn't a one-off either as my subs seem to always come on about that length of time after I actually make them. It's the same as tactic changes although it's usually the subs that take ages to come on.

It's an acknowledged (and annoying) bug. In my experience, sometimes the changes are actioned as quickly as you'd expect, but on occasions I have quite a long wait, even when there seems to be a suitable break in play..

It's an acknowledged (and annoying) bug. In my experience, sometimes the changes are actioned as quickly as you'd expect, but on occasions I have quite a long wait, even when there seems to be a suitable break in play..

Wasn't sure if it was acknowledged or not and yes it is VERY annoying. I aim to put on my last sub sometimes when there are about 15-20 minutes of the match to go but by the time he gets on it's just like he's just getting a wee run out after coming on about 6-8 minutes later. Even when there are a good few stoppages through throw-ins or goal kicks it seems to take far too long. Sometimes it has only taken a couple of minutes but this is rare. It's the same as changing tactics as well, whether it's changing formation, changing the Side Line Instructions, or just swapping two players around. These don't seem to take as long as the subs coming on, though.

Changes should take around 5 minutes, tops. Longer than that is buggy.

Isn't 5 minutes still a bit too long though? I didn't play FM13 or FM12 so I don't know what it was like through those games, but in FM11 it was always pretty quick. I think the longest I had waited for subs to come on was maybe about 2 or 3 minutes, but at least they always came on at the next break in play.

one other thing I've noticed as well is that it seems to take a few seconds to go into a staff members profile page. Sometimes it's straight in there just like when you click on a player to view, but more often than not with some staff members it takes a few seconds to view. Is this a known issue at all?

Apart from the above, though, I'm pretty happy with the game in general. I've managed to get past the ice skating effect (which doesn't seem as prominent as what it was before) and the speed of the ball after it bounces (which isn't as annoying when the opposition plays a through ball, though :lol:). The graphics are very sweet to look during the match, especially with having a GeForce GTX650 Ti BOOST and resolution set to 1920x1080. I like the overall look of the GUI and just the general layout of everything now.

I did say up to 5 minutes. It could be less as well. I asked this a while back and received an answer from SI that it should be around 5 minutes max.

Say you're making a sub. That sub will need to get ready to go on and only then there will need to be a break in play for him to come on. That's why the changes aren't instantly made.

Same with tactical changes. Information would need to be passed round to the whole team at a suitable time to know the changes being made, so that can't be an instant change either.

I did say up to 5 minutes. It could be less as well. I asked this a while back and received an answer from SI that it should be around 5 minutes max.

Say you're making a sub. That sub will need to get ready to go on and only then there will need to be a break in play for him to come on. That's why the changes aren't instantly made.

Well, to be honest, if you're comparing it to real life, the sub comes on when he's ready to come on after getting his instructions and at the next break in play. He needs to get ready to come on, yes, but this all happens as the match is being played. When the sub is ready to come on then he comes on at the next break of play....not up to 10 minutes later. How many times have you seen a sub standing on the side lines ready to come on but doesn't come on even though there has been plenty of chances for him to be allowed on? I've never seen that once, but I've seen them come on thousands of times at the next throw-in, corner, free kick or goal kick. If a substitution is being made in the 63rd minute of a match, and there's a break in play, then that sub comes on in the 63rd minute. If it takes UP TO 5 minutes then fair enough because I know the program engine and what not has to process it all, but my average sub takes longer than that to come on. No matter how it's looked at, that isn't normal, especially when in FM11 I don't think I ever had a sub take longer than 2 or 3 minutes to finally come on. Is there more for the game to process in FM14 compared to FM11 when a change is being made? I don't know and I'm guessing there is, but an average of 6-8 minutes for a sub to come on is a bit extreme I think.

Same with tactical changes. Information would need to be passed round to the whole team at a suitable time to know the changes being made, so that can't be an instant change either.

Well, not sure about this because they are the side line shout instructions. In real life, it doesn't take up to 5 minutes for the instructions to reach the player after the manager shouts it to him unless the player is in a slightly different time zone to the manager :D But I know this isn't real life and I know the game needs to process it all and like I say this, on average, is OK for me. The change of tactics on average is about 4 or 5 minutes for me, but I can handle that. It's the subs which is the main issue for me.

Well, to be honest, if you're comparing it to real life, the sub comes on when he's ready to come on after getting his instructions and at the next break in play. He needs to get ready to come on, yes, but this all happens as the match is being played. When the sub is ready to come on then he comes on at the next break of play....not up to 10 minutes later.

No. You are wrong. This is not what happens at all. this is what happens in an ideal situation. It is not reality at all and you are living in a dream-World if you think it is.

As you are American I will show you this. (Oh buggar, you are Scottish rather than American, but the point still stands).

Speaks volumes.

I think you forget that it's not the player that determines when he comes on, or the manager. It's the officials. I have seen players wait for ages to come on because officials have said that this was wrong or that was wrong and God only what else was wrong. Your perception of what happens when a substitution is made is far far far from the truth.

It's your job as manager to do your best NOT to let morale drop into "the red zone" in the first place. Teams and players do better when they have (some) confidence.

It's often easier said that done though. I lost two games in a row, both narrow losses and both down to bizarre individual errors (the first one, my keeper basically dropped a shot and conceded an OG, and the second one, a CB borked a pass whilst under no pressure whatsoever and passed it straight to an opposition striker who then blasted it in from 30 yards!). 2 losses (after 3 wins in a row) and all of a sudden we have rock bottom morale and now it seems my team have forgotten how to play football and it's just loss after loss.

Maybe I'm just inept.

Well, to be honest, if you're comparing it to real life, the sub comes on when he's ready to come on after getting his instructions and at the next break in play. He needs to get ready to come on, yes, but this all happens as the match is being played. When the sub is ready to come on then he comes on at the next break of play....not up to 10 minutes later. How many times have you seen a sub standing on the side lines ready to come on but doesn't come on even though there has been plenty of chances for him to be allowed on? I've never seen that once, but I've seen them come on thousands of times at the next throw-in, corner, free kick or goal kick. If a substitution is being made in the 63rd minute of a match, and there's a break in play, then that sub comes on in the 63rd minute. If it takes UP TO 5 minutes then fair enough because I know the program engine and what not has to process it all, but my average sub takes longer than that to come on. No matter how it's looked at, that isn't normal, especially when in FM11 I don't think I ever had a sub take longer than 2 or 3 minutes to finally come on. Is there more for the game to process in FM14 compared to FM11 when a change is being made? I don't know and I'm guessing there is, but an average of 6-8 minutes for a sub to come on is a bit extreme I think.

It has nothing to do with how much need to be processed. There is a deliberate delay between pressing confirm and your sub coming on. The moment you hit confirm, you as manager are telling the sub to get himself ready to come on. Take off the warm-up top. Put on shirt. Then you're going to go over his instructions and what's expected of him etc. Only then he's ready to come on, on the touchline. All of this could take a minute or three. Then there would need to be a suitable break in play.

Well, not sure about this because they are the side line shout instructions. In real life, it doesn't take up to 5 minutes for the instructions to reach the player after the manager shouts it to him unless the player is in a slightly different time zone to the manager :D But I know this isn't real life and I know the game needs to process it all and like I say this, on average, is OK for me. The change of tactics on average is about 4 or 5 minutes for me, but I can handle that. It's the subs which is the main issue for me.

They aren't shout instructions, but if you do want to see it that way... what happens if you make tactical changes? If I change formation, that would take a few minutes for the message to get across properly so that everyone knows exactly what's expected of them. It could be argued that some changes could take effect quicker than others, but on the whole tactical changes don't take long to implement on FM anyway. 2-3 minutes, I'd guess.

It's often easier said that done though.

Maybe, but you haven't said anything at all except that you lost twice? A while back I lost three in a row. Morale was still "fairly good" on average, which is just above "okay", I think.

2 losses (after 3 wins in a row) and all of a sudden we have rock bottom morale and now it seems my team have forgotten how to play football and it's just loss after loss.

If your morale is dropping to rock bottom after two losses, you're badly handling team talks or just poorly managing the squad in general.

Also, although morale has a big effect (as it should do, people on here seem to underestimate how important this is in football), you can lessen the effect by being smarter tactically. Whenever one of my sides is lacking in morale throughout, I play as tight and defensive a game as possible to grind out a 0-0 or sneak a 1-0 win. As Sunderland showed in the run in last season in real life, just one decent result can turn everything around very quickly.

I think morale generally works well in the game. What I don't really understand though is when you have a team full of superb morale, go 3-0 up away from home at half time, and all the players morale has dropped to 'fairly good'. It generally won't cost me the win, but it's a head scratcher as to why winning 3-0 away from home would cause it to drop do much.

If your morale is dropping to rock bottom after two losses, you're badly handling team talks or just poorly managing the squad in general.

Also, although morale has a big effect (as it should do, people on here seem to underestimate how important this is in football), you can lessen the effect by being smarter tactically. Whenever one of my sides is lacking in morale throughout, I play as tight and defensive a game as possible to grind out a 0-0 or sneak a 1-0 win. As Sunderland showed in the run in last season in real life, just one decent result can turn everything around very quickly.

I think morale generally works well in the game. What I don't really understand though is when you have a team full of superb morale, go 3-0 up away from home at half time, and all the players morale has dropped to 'fairly good'. It generally won't cost me the win, but it's a head scratcher as to why winning 3-0 away from home would cause it to drop do much.

it was on FMC, so team talks are not an issue as they aren't in FMC.

That said, I've ditched that and gone on to the full simulation mode. I liked the quickness of FMC, but there were a few features that I missed that are part of the simulation mode.

No. You are wrong. This is not what happens at all. this is what happens in an ideal situation. It is not reality at all and you are living in a dream-World if you think it is.

As you are American I will show you this. (Oh buggar, you are Scottish rather than American, but the point still stands).

Speaks volumes.

I think you forget that it's not the player that determines when he comes on, or the manager. It's the officials. I have seen players wait for ages to come on because officials have said that this was wrong or that was wrong and God only what else was wrong. Your perception of what happens when a substitution is made is far far far from the truth.

So you're saying that to wait up to 10 minutes for the sub to come on practically once every match is reality? I don't think so. I watched every Celtic match last season (league, cups, Europe and friendlies) and not ONCE did a sub take that amount of time to come on - for either team - after waiting on the sidelines. I think it's you that's living in a dream-world if you think a 10 minute wait is normal.

I'll give you that clip and I remember that incident, but a seemingly rare occurrence doesn't advocate it happening practically once every match. I haven't forgotten anything but I guess I should have kind of spelled it out when I was describing the incident. I know that it's up to the manager/officials in the end on when the player is actually allowed on and not just the player. I have seen plenty of incidents when the player can't get on because there HASN'T been a break in play, but for there to be plenty of opportunity for him to come on and still "not be allowed" then it's THAT that's far far far from the truth.

After being stripped off and already being given his instructions, the sub doesn't wait on the side lines for up to 10 minutes before coming on. He gets all this done when the match is still in play and then when the manager is ready and player is ready he comes on at the next break in play. Even if he isn't allowed on at the next break in play, I highly doubt that several throw-in's, goal kicks, corners etc has passed before he's finally let on.

Regardless, it's a ridiculous amount of time to wait.

It has nothing to do with how much need to be processed. There is a deliberate delay between pressing confirm and your sub coming on. The moment you hit confirm, you as manager are telling the sub to get himself ready to come on. Take off the warm-up top. Put on shirt. Then you're going to go over his instructions and what's expected of him etc. Only then he's ready to come on, on the touchline. All of this could take a minute or three. Then there would need to be a suitable break in play.

Of course it has everything to do with how much is processed. It's a computer program process for what you have instructed to happen no matter how you try to look at it all. As soon as you press the Confirm button, then I know that things have to be processed by the program and the game, so I can understand a delay, but for it to take as long as it does, especially when so many breaks in play have happened, isn't good. If you want to use you're wee scenario then when you're going through everything before pressing the Confirm button is the part when the player is changing and getting his instructions. When you actually press Confirm then that is when you are telling the officials that you want the sub to come on. Does that still advocate it taking up to 10 minutes for the sub to actually come on? I don't think so.

I guess the players in FM11 done all of the actions that you described at a quicker pace because they definitely didn't take that long to come on. Maybe I should work on Fitness more during pre-season to get them up to speed.

They aren't shout instructions, but if you do want to see it that way... what happens if you make tactical changes? If I change formation, that would take a few minutes for the message to get across properly so that everyone knows exactly what's expected of them. It could be argued that some changes could take effect quicker than others, but on the whole tactical changes don't take long to implement on FM anyway. 2-3 minutes, I'd guess.

When the game is in process and you are using the Team/Player Instructions box they have been described as shout outs and it's those that I'm on about. Its not something I've just made up. As I said before, I can understand the tactics changes taking a few minutes to happen and I'm not so much bothered by those and they don't take anywhere near as much time as it can for the subs to take place. They took a wee while in FM11 as well, so I understand the game needs a bit of time to process it all, but it's the subs that are my main issue.

Of course it has everything to do with how much is processed. It's a computer program process for what you have instructed to happen no matter how you try to look at it all. As soon as you press the Confirm button, then I know that things have to be processed by the program and the game, so I can understand a delay, but for it to take as long as it does, especially when so many breaks in play have happened, isn't good. If you want to use you're wee scenario then when you're going through everything before pressing the Confirm button is the part when the player is changing and getting his instructions. When you actually press Confirm then that is when you are telling the officials that you want the sub to come on. Does that still advocate it taking up to 10 minutes for the sub to actually come on? I don't think so.

You'd be surprised by how quickly the game is able to process this. Processing isn't causing the delay, is what I was getting at. Even after processing has finished, there is still a deliberate delay. As I've explained there's a delay, because the sub isn't ready to come on immediately after you press confirm. He still has to get ready.

As I've also said, SI confirmed to me that making a sub should take around 5 minutes at most. If you're seeing 10 minutes pass without the sub being brought on and there were suitable breaks in play for him to come on, (especially 5+ minutes after pressing confirm) it's buggy behaviour and something you can report in the bugs forum. Getting examples like this would be valuable, since it doesn't happen often.

So you're saying that to wait up to 10 minutes for the sub to come on practically once every match is reality?

The most I've ever waited for a sub is 8 game time minutes, and that's happened once in nearly 2000 hours of gameplay. Clearly I've just been lucky with it as I've heard others mention it on occasion. I'd be mightily surprised if it happens once every game in your save. That would render the game almost unplayable.

I am on a run of 36 domestic games unbeaten and I get to the Cup Final.

My tactic is obviously brilliant, my players are well rested and in great morale and the opposition have just lost 3-0.

They beat us 3-0 to end our run.

The game is cheating me! :lol:

[/end sarcasm mode]

(I am gutted though. We were rubbish and were lucky to get 0). :(

The most I've ever waited for a sub is 8 game time minutes, and that's happened once in nearly 2000 hours of gameplay. Clearly I've just been lucky with it as I've heard others mention it on occasion. I'd be mightily surprised if it happens once every game in your save. That wound render the game almost unplayable.

I've had the odd game where a sub would take seemingly ages to come on. Watching the game though showed me that the opposition was playing "keep ball", passing the ball between their back 5 and keeper for most of the time. That's why it's important to see if there was a suitable break in play to bring the sub on, before reporting a bug like this.

It's basically the 'keeper's momentum when catching a cross that carries him over the line. SI is aware of it, so it'll be fixed for FM15.

It's not those instances that are the problem.

I have seen this bug as well (rare but i've seen it) and when it happens the keepers stops, turns and walks out of play - definitely not momentum. I have seen him concede an og doing it as well. Turning and walking with the ball over the goal line.

It's not those instances that are the problem.

I have seen this bug as well (rare but i've seen it) and when it happens the keepers stops, turns and walks out of play - definitely not momentum. I have seen him concede an og doing it as well. Turning and walking with the ball over the goal line.

Try playing in the Conference N/S. Pretty much every cross to the near post is caught and walked out by the 'keeper. It's frustrating as this issue was flagged well before final release and just seems to be worse now, which is why the "it is a known issue and will be fixed for FM15" line doesn't fill me with the greatest amount of confidence.

(Note - these are my experiences only.)

You honestly don't see 'keepers catching crosses and stepping out of bounds?

I'd love your copy of the game if that's the case.

Must admit that I have seen 2 goals scored this way since I last posted about it.

One was reasonable but the other was about 4 steps towards the goal after catching and then over the line.

Not specifically feedback, but from your experience: How much can fielding an eleven of entirelly new players hurt in terms of performance? I know this cannot be answered in numbers, as penalties have knock-ons on match action in various ways and thus may cost more in one match whilst less so in another. Been wondering lately, in particular as I'm semi-frequently experimenting by putting together fantasy squads in the editor. All of those players switched around are then naturally registered as "new" to the club (which can probably be avoided by changing their contract starting date?), and should they not speak the language, that makes for a further penalty in communication.

Not specifically feedback, but from your experience: How much can fielding an eleven of entirelly new players hurt in terms of performance? I know this cannot be answered in numbers, as penalties have knock-ons on match action in various ways and thus may cost more in one match whilst less so in another. Been wondering lately, in particular as I'm semi-frequently experimenting by putting together fantasy squads in the editor. All of those players switched around are then naturally registered as "new" to the club (which can probably be avoided by changing their contract starting date?), and should they not speak the language, that makes for a further penalty in communication.

I'm playing FMC, which may or may not mitigate some of the influence of this.

However, I was offered (and accepted) the Ajax job in February 2023 after they had failed to win the Eredivisie for around 10 seasons.

Created a tactic which saw us secure second place (5th when I took over) with an unbeaten record during my tenure.

In the first summer transfer window, I signed approximately 14/15 first team squad players to fit into that same tactical set up.

For around 10 matches, we were so disjointed that it horrified me! Fitness was a secondary factor as we hadn't played quite enough friendlies, but this was the starkest evidence for me of the influence of new players.

It's very possible that I was misreading matches and getting things wrong, but I was using the same core tactic as before, and making the same in-game adjustments as before.

I really think that the commentators who were "hired" in every match are so stingy with their words especially when some events like goals occur.

Come on SI give them the one two! :(

And the 3,4. And the 5,6 and the........nevermind. Just give us more commentary!

Id agree the commentary is lacking a bit this year, it misses wonder goals, or hat tricks, or first ever goals. It doesnt miss them all, but it does miss more than it catches. I did bring this up in a thread for a previous build and it has improved a bit, but its no where near as good as it used to be in older versions.

I've just started an international career after not playing for a few months, and already after only a few games I'm having some big irritations:

1) Clearance logic is just absolutely moronic at times. An opposing attacker heads the ball well wide of goal, nobody is near it and it's going out for a goal kick, and my LB runs over from 20 feet away to "clear" the ball right back into the middle of the box, where another attacker puts it in.

2) The trequartista role just doesn't do what you would expect. You'd expect this to be more of a creator role, but when I set an attacking player to this role they seem to shoot every time they touch the ball within 10 feet of the box.

1) Clearance logic is just absolutely moronic at times. An opposing attacker heads the ball well wide of goal, nobody is near it and it's going out for a goal kick, and my LB runs over from 20 feet away to "clear" the ball right back into the middle of the box, where another attacker puts it in.

Players seem ignorant of the first rule of defending, which is don't clear back across your own goal. It seems like the default play from full backs if they get caught in possession, rather than down the line or out of play.

speaking of commentries, Januzaj took a free kick, keeper saved it..... apparantly he didn't mean to do it -_-

there is a few annoyances with clearences, my gripe is when a ball is cleared out wide, players leave it to go out for a throw instead of putting the ball back in with a cross.

apparantly this was NOT goal of the game?

[video=youtube;D4Tf1mylX4k]

Sry, if this was a known fact, but searched and didnt find it:

When i want start a new game with the default DB, im not able to select sweden, because one of the second leagues are missing the 12 th team.

I dont use a edited DB.

I reinstalled and i use the steamoption for checking the files.

Any ideas?

Huge fan of whoever decided to completely ruin the team meeting feature on the last update. It was working perfectly pre-update, one of the few things that were.

Now I can't use it to try and boost morale. It's become an utterly useless and broken feature.

can someone tell me how to defend corners being crossed onto the near post??? it's so frustrating to defend well, just to lose games in the end because of conceding goals from corners!!! (near post) is this a bug??? the same goes for those stupid own goals... smh!!!

can someone tell me how to defend corners being crossed onto the near post??? it's so frustrating to defend well, just to lose games in the end because of conceding goals from corners!!! (near post) is this a bug??? the same goes for those stupid own goals... smh!!!

If you open a thread in T&TGF and post what your current setup is, I will give you some hints.

Archived