Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

There are too many goals from crosses and corners and not enough from general play. Also the 4-2-3-1 formation that the AI uses for Chelsea and Man City is unbalanced its literally impossible to beat them even with stronger team. Believe me i have tried on multiple saves yes i won the title but ur not getting points from those 4 fixtures. Is there going to be another ME patch or was this patch the last one?

Have we really got to the point where not being able to beat Man City or Chelsea is perceived as a bug?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15+ nations, how many exactly? how many playable leagues? how many playable teams?

Say 15 nations * 2 leagues per nation * 20 teams per league = 600 teams.

600 teams with say two squads and 25 players per squad = 30,000 players needed to fill the playable teams.

Add in non-playable teams who have far less players & some extra for the transfer market, say 50,000 players would be more than enough.

You loaded how many players? 100k? and then wonder why a lot of them don't have a team to play for and retire.

16 nations, 29 divisions. Then why this is the first version of fm that have this issue? Then again, your math isn't accurate enough. 25 players per team? What about reserves and u21/19? Adding that would increase the number of players in each team.

This isn't a player balance issue. Even after 5 years, people still retire without finding any club. And not because teams are full, but because there is a big bug in this department.

16 nations, 29 divisions. Then why this is the first version of fm that have this issue? Then again, your math isn't accurate enough. 25 players per team? What about reserves and u21/19? Adding that would increase the number of players in each team.

The math doesn't have to be accurate, its easy to see that you have loaded too many players IMO.

and its not the first version to have the issue, I was playing around with leagues and database sizes seven/eight years ago. Its only this year that there has been more discussion about it.

Cougar. How do you keep so calm having the same conversation with the same.... people day after day? This thread is soul-destroying.

I don't mind when people actual want to discuss & debate their point, its the ones that stick their heads in the sand and ignore the people giving them advice that frustrate me :)

The math doesn't have to be accurate, its easy to see that you have loaded too many players IMO.

and its not the first version to have the issue, I was playing around with leagues and database sizes seven/eight years ago. Its only this year that there has been more discussion about it.

Just to clarify, the game loaded the number of players. The game was clean, no changes from the editor nor any other database/players modules/files.

I don't know about ancient versions, but in the last 3/4 editions i don't remember this issue. The odd youngster retiring was always present and it's not an issue, but when 80-90% of the released on a free youngsters retire each year then there is a problem.

The odd youngster retiring was always present and it's not an issue, but when 80-90% of the released on a free youngsters retire each year then there is a problem.

DMaster2.

Would you mind telling me what sort of % of real young players who are released by real Professional clubs drop out of the game and have to go and get a proper job?

If you don't know, just have a guess. Even a rough approximate guess.

Just to clarify, the game loaded the number of players. The game was clean, no changes from the editor nor any other database/players modules/files.

I don't know about ancient versions, but in the last 3/4 editions i don't remember this issue. The odd youngster retiring was always present and it's not an issue, but when 80-90% of the released on a free youngsters retire each year then there is a problem.

There is a bug with higher rep players not accepting offers from lower rep clubs due to wage demands but I don't believe anything has been said about youngsters that have been released.

IRL a high % of youth players leave the game and don't make it as a pro footballer, FM in some ways simulates that.

The bottom line is why should other clubs take your cast offs when they have plenty of players already?

The issue would be minimised if you had balanced your game world better while improvements in AI squad building/rep/wage demands would improve what is a fairly minor issue overall.

DMaster2.

Would you mind telling me what sort of % of real young players who are released by real Professional clubs drop out of the game and have to go and get a proper job?

If you don't know, just have a guess. Even a rough approximate guess.

It depend. From lower leagues? A lot. From Serie A? Not many. The vast majority find a lower league club and try to climb up.

Btw when i was giving the %, i was not counting the lower league youngsters. Only serie A. Then again, if even SI staff admitted that this is an actual issue i don't see why you should imply i'm in the wrong here.

It depend. From lower leagues? A lot. From Serie A? Not many. The vast majority find a lower league club and try to climb up.

Btw when i was giving the %, i was not counting the lower league youngsters. Only serie A. Then again, if even SI staff admitted that this is an actual issue i don't see why you should imply i'm in the wrong here.

Ok. Let's do this your way then.

Only counting Serie A, what sort of % of young players who are on the books with youth contracts do you think make it as full time professional footballers?

As before, if you don't know, just have a guess.

1) There is a bug with higher rep players not accepting offers from lower rep clubs due to wage demands but I don't believe anything has been said about youngsters that have been released.

2) IRL a high % of youth players leave the game and don't make it as a pro footballer, FM in some ways simulates that.

3) The bottom line is why should other clubs take your cast offs when they have plenty of players already?

4) The issue would be minimised if you had balanced your game world better while improvements in AI squad building/rep/wage demands would improve what is a fairly minor issue overall.

1) That affect also released youngsters. When they are released on a free a few lower League clubs (ALL professionals, before you try to imply otherwise. No serie D playable in fm unfortunately) snuff at them, but in the end they don't sign to anyone and retire. Casualty? I think not.

2) I don't know the situation of english football, but as i said in Italy the majority of released youngsters from Serie A find lower league clubs without problems.

3) Plenty? Actually serie d teams are full of grey players...

4) And exactly how do i balance it better than having so many nations and leagues loaded? By choosing a medium database? Yeah right. In 2017/2018 shakhtar donetsk have 14 players. 14. Sparta Prague (or whatever his english name is) have 11 (one of which is a player that i sent on loan). Bate Borisov 2 players. Etc. Those are all teams that are partecipating in the 2017/2018 UEFA Champions League. So yeah, the situation is bad enough, no way i'm going to pick a medium database.

Ok. Let's do this your way then.

Only counting Serie A, what sort of % of young players who are on the books with youth contracts do you think make it as full time professional footballers?

As before, if you don't know, just have a guess.

I'd say 30-40% (professional=from serie a to lega pro). 20-30% pick a team on serie d or below. The rest retire. This is only a roughly estimation though, no official numbers. Also do note that the average age of releasing players is a bit higher here, since at 19-20 years old you can still play in the primavera, so it's a bit easier for them to find clubs.

DMaster2. I am just asking you for a % of players on youth contracts who are released by Serie A clubs and then who do not go on to become professional footballers elsewhere. You have already said that 80-90% is too many so I am curious to think what you think is a reasonable figure.

I'm not sure what Liga Pro us but I am guessing it is a name for one of the Leagues below Serie A.

Wow. So you think that when you are offered a youth contract at a Professional club in Italy, as many as 30-40% go on to be offered Professional contracts either there or at other clubs. Wow. That is an awful lot of players.

I was under the impression that the real figure was much much much less than that. Oh well. I'm sure you are right.

3) Plenty? Actually serie d teams are full of grey players...

Serie D isn't playable in FM therefore they can't sign your players!

4) And exactly how do i balance it better than having so many nations and leagues loaded? By choosing a medium database? Yeah right. In 2017/2018 shakhtar donetsk have 14 players. 14. Sparta Prague (or whatever his english name is) have 11 (one of which is a player that i sent on loan). Bate Borisov 2 players. Etc. Those are all teams that are partecipating in the 2017/2018 UEFA Champions League. So yeah, the situation is bad enough, no way i'm going to pick a medium database.

Yes you pick an appropriate database size for the playable leagues you have loaded.

If you are just going to say no way then there is no point discussing it with you, I'll go back to enjoying my save you can go back to talking to a brick wall :rolleyes:

DMaster2. I am just asking you for a % of players on youth contracts who are released by Serie A clubs and then who do not go on to become professional footballers elsewhere. You have already said that 80-90% is too many so I am curious to think what you think is a reasonable figure.

I answered you. A lot find clubs elsewhere. Those who are <18 go to serie b/lega pro primavera teams (a few find the new home in another serie a primavera team), those who are >18 find first team football in a lower League. The percentages are the one i said above, roughly.

1) Serie D isn't playable in FM therefore they can't sign your players!

2) Yes you pick an appropriate database size for the playable leagues you have loaded.

If you are just going to say no way then there is no point discussing it with you, I'll go back to enjoying my save you can go back to talking to a brick wall :rolleyes:

1) Nothing stop them from doing so (or at least do so with free players). In the last fm they did it without any problem. It was actually fun to watch the progress of the youngs i released to see if they managed to get up to professional football.

2) So 30 divisions and 16 nations aren't enough for a large database. Sorry if i find it very hard to believe. Then again, if that's not enough, how much i have to load in order to keep said large database?

I answered you. A lot find clubs elsewhere. Those who are <18 go to serie b/lega pro primavera teams (a few find the new home in another serie a primavera team), those who are >18 find first team football in a lower League. The percentages are the one i said above, roughly.

Here you go DMaster from the PFA website:

By the age of 21, 75% of professional footballers have given up the game. The PFA renders a massive service to unemployed footballers, working extremely hard to try to find them new clubs and hosting a comprehensive “transfer directory” of unattached players on its website; a site endorsed by Bolton manager Sam Allardyce, who was known for his ability to bring in exciting free transfers. Such a service is vital in the context of greater employment insecurity: indeed, at the end of the 2002-3 season, a record number of some 595 footballers were released from their clubs, around 20% of the total number employed in the industry.

You'll also notice that it says Pro footballers, so 75% of players who got a pro deal leave the game by 21yo.

There are also many, many more that don't even get a pro deal.

Impossible as in difficult? People finding it difficult are almost always doing something wrong, tactically speaking.

I can show you a pre-patch save when I'm Aston Villa in 2028.

Just moved into a new ground named after myself.

Winning 5 league titles in the last 7 seasons and 2 Champs League - all using my own tactic.

Now fast forward to the latest patch, I can barely get though a new season without being under the cosh from any chairman, at any club I go - using any tactic I choose.

Its an poor argument to say "If you can't win, its ur own fault" kinda reply.

Its an poor argument to say "If you can't win, its ur own fault" kinda reply.

So blaming anyone but yourself, or more accurately, blaming a game for plotting against you - bearing in mind that not everyone is complaining of this - is a better argument?

The game is not cheating me - I am top after 18 games with Arsenal, 45 points. Lost once to Man utd away, beat City away in league and cup. I lost the game I deserved to, won those I deserved to.

Erm if you want non-grey opponents in Champions League, then on game start-up pick "custom" size database, click "continents" drop down and select Europe, then click "load all players for contnental rep teams" (or whatever it is) and you should be ok

I'm playing vs Huddersfield. Simon Moore is the manager of Bournemouth. The team i played last week.

Why is this the very first question in the pre-match press conference? It's a post-match question from the previous match.

Or more like a reply to Moore's reply, one week too late.

Just seems out of place. If it's meant to be there then it's badly worded.

9912282f9a686391424e8a993dca1f8d.png

i cannot start a new game,

after choose database, will load, but never enter the nation pick page

then jump back to the start menu and tell me choose nation............:(

Are you using an edited database? There might be something wrong with it.

no i didn't use any

even i choose use none edit data still cannot

Try deleting your preferences - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=218

Then delete your cache - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=217

Once that's done, reverify your cache and try the game again - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=221

If this doesn't work, please post here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/360-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

If you open a thread, remember to list the steps you have done already, in order to avoid getting the same advice again.

Try deleting your preferences - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=218

Then delete your cache - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=217

Once that's done, reverify your cache and try the game again - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=221

If this doesn't work, please post here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/360-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

If you open a thread, remember to list the steps you have done already, in order to avoid getting the same advice again.

thank you, after these steps + restart, it works now

Ahhhh game crashes after I win the CL and after I had already started to sort out certain transfers. Absolutely fantastic.

Not that I play anymore. But always have the 3 rolling autosave on. As well as saving after every match i play.

I haven't played fm14 in a few months and have uninstalled it. In my opinion its the worst of all the series. They got the ME right finally after a few patches in fm13, I don't see why they felt the need to change it again. I'm reinstalling fm13 as I type this to continue a save.

This is my time played for fm14: 273 hours

fm13: 809 hours

fm12: 1064 hours

fm11: 1487 hours

Perhaps I've just tired of the game? Maybe, as I've sunk alot of my life into fm. But the problem remains, I no longer enjoy the ME side of the game. Its just not good.

Not that I play anymore. But always have the 3 rolling autosave on. As well as saving after every match i play.

I haven't played fm14 in a few months and have uninstalled it. In my opinion its the worst of all the series. They got the ME right finally after a few patches in fm13, I don't see why they felt the need to change it again. I'm reinstalling fm13 as I type this to continue a save.

This is my time played for fm14: 273 hours

fm13: 809 hours

fm12: 1064 hours

fm11: 1487 hours

Perhaps I've just tired of the game? Maybe, as I've sunk alot of my life into fm. But the problem remains, I no longer enjoy the ME side of the game. Its just not good.

I used to rack up an average of 1000 hours per game, this game I am on about 350 - but that's because I work and travel a massive amount more. I love the challenge of the game being harder/less forgiving.

Ahhhh game crashes after I win the CL and after I had already started to sort out certain transfers. Absolutely fantastic.

This isn't the first time your game crashes. Why don't your report it in the bugs forum where you can get some help and we'll all be spared from these wonderful posts?

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/360-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

has anybody experienced mad reputation changes when gaining promotion? i'm using the FCUTD Will file (england level 11) and the promoted team incurred dramatic reputation increase, to an extent that makes the second season unplayable. I checked through the RTE that the problem affects even the promoted team in the 'default' leagues (level 6 and above), so i wondered whether it's a game problem or an update file problem...

far too much frustration

last 3 games I have drawn 2 of them.

2-2 draw - concede OG and direct free kick

1-1 draw - concede to direct free kick

I am not scoring any of my direct free kicks, so this is plain stupid.

and save BEFORE matches and when doing searches.

If ever a screenshot showed my frustration with the game this is it

3ioo.png

In isolation it doesn't look too bad, but Boca scored when they had around 29% possession and two shots. The goal was of course a screamer.

I know, I know it's probably my "tactics" and it probably is. There's some tweak I can make that would mean that my striker/wide player/CM would stop hitting the side netting or stop missing easy one on ones but how does that make sense? If the player is getting in the right positions and getting the service how is that tactical? That would come down to the player,no?

Also, has anyone managed to win a penalty shootout? I've lost every single one I've played in on the new update and it seems like my 2nd taker will always miss. The opposition always score theirs too. So frustrating.

I know, I know it's probably my "tactics" and it probably is. There's some tweak I can make that would mean that my striker/wide player/CM would stop hitting the side netting or stop missing easy one on ones but how does that make sense? If the player is getting in the right positions and getting the service how is that tactical? That would come down to the player,no?

They're getting in the right position to hit the side netting? Sure players miss goals more than they score them but are you looking at the match to see why they're missing? Are they under pressure when they shoot or is the opposition keeper doing enough to narrow the target?

Are you making small changes to your instructions outwit the opposition or are you basing results on reputation alone? If Boca scored from a screamer then close their players down better to stop those situations, or just take the goal on the chin and find a way to exploit their weaknesses.

Its not always about the number of chances you take, just what you do with the ones you get. I've managed to get my teams scoring a lot and you'll find a lot of other players have, so is the problem with the match engine or as you already said, tactics?

Also, has anyone managed to win a penalty shootout? I've lost every single one I've played in on the new update and it seems like my 2nd taker will always miss. The opposition always score theirs too. So frustrating.

I've won plenty of shoot outs so far.

Its not always about the number of chances you take, just what you do with the ones you get. I've managed to get my teams scoring a lot and you'll find a lot of other players have, so is the problem with the match engine or as you already said, tactics?

That image also highlights things very well with the balance of stats.

Madrid too attacking against a team with a Counter or similar Mentality.

They resort to shots from range which are off target, and in spite of having more of the ball, they can't break down an opponent with a lower reputation.

They over commit men forward and leave space behind, which results in "better" opportunities for Raith - which they take.

I've won plenty of shoot outs so far.

I can't remember losing one. I must have, just not in recent years.

Let's have a look....

Not counting friendlies, (my Reserves beat me on pens regularly).

Oops. How did I forget that? Lost the 2028 Italian Cup Final to Inter on pens. :thdn:

Won the 2024 Italian Cup Final against Napoli on pens. :thup:

2022/23 Won both the 1st and 2nd Rounds of the Italian Cup, (against Inter and Juve), on pens. :thup: :thup:

Lost the 2016/17 Italian C Cup 2nd Round, (to Taranto), on pens. :thdn:

2014/15 Won the Italian Cup 2nd Qual Rnd, (against Alto Adige), on pens. :thup:

So I have won 4 and lost 2 so far.

[Edit]

I must admit that I do have a slightly different take on pens with this game. My GK's take my pens now, (although that's quite a recent thing). If you can rarely rarely rarely miss the target, then my thinking is that the ability to take a pen is not what it once was. As a result I use other factors when deciding who takes them.

They're getting in the right position to hit the side netting? Sure players miss goals more than they score them but are you looking at the match to see why they're missing? Are they under pressure when they shoot or is the opposition keeper doing enough to narrow the target?

The one on one chances that I see missed are actual one on ones with very little pressure. Although tbf I've seen the opposition missed their fair share too.

Same with shots into the side netting. This is definitely an issue for me, other people probably aren't seeing it because there's a tactical work around, this doesn't not mean that my tactics are flawed, in this case I'm confident it's bugged. Players from narrow angles seem to shoot into the side netting rather than pick out a player in the box or shoot into the far corner. Once again, I've had this happen against me, however I'm noticing it happen to me more because my team typically has more of the ball and creates more chances.

Archived