Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get a bit annoyed these days about the criticism that FM12 gets, most of which is in hindsight and in response to someone being harsh on the newer ME. There was NEVER an uproar about players being able to ghost through each other before the collision detection was announced on here. In fact I'm sure I was one of the loudest in complaining about the overly effective through balls. Yet now people make out like the game was utterly unplayable and riddled with unavoidable exploits (not you specifically, SFV, but a lot of people on here over the last couple of years).

THANK YOU for this, I couldn't say it better.

It annoys me no end how people degrade FM 12 now because back then no one even mentioned collision detection and what not.

Now that officials have pointed out the introduction of collision detection as a huge step forward, everyone is suddenly so smart and behave in a "I always said collison was a FM12 problem" manner. Frankly, it's laughable.

It still is.

No it is not. I have better team, training set with advices from this forum, tactic also, and keep losing from bad teams, every their shoot is goal. My morale is good, i bring good coaches with five stars and still playing bad, even with all good advices from here.

It annoys me no end how people degrade FM 12 now because back then no one even mentioned collision detection and what not.

Back then, it wasn't complained about as often, because it was the users who benefitted from this much more than the AI. Some illogical tactics worked purely because of it. These tactics relied on through balls and having the faster striker, since he could just ghost through. Remember the 4-4-2s with both strikers on Attack duty? The lone forward as a AF or Poacher in a 4-5-1? There are defenders to get past this time, so the striker cannot just ghost through with little effort. Good movement is key now.

So to sum up: Some tactics were effective in FM12, when they really weren't very good tactics.

Not everyone played this way though. The usual tactics based on sound football logic worked because it created space (and is absolutely key) and it still works in FM14.

every their shoot is goal

That is a very clear sign that, at the very least, there's something not right with your tactics. If every AI shot is a goal, you're not doing well enough defensively.

No it is not. I have better team, training set with advices from this forum, tactic also, and keep losing from bad teams, every their shoot is goal. My morale is good, i bring good coaches with five stars and still playing bad, even with all good advices from here.

If you are losing to teams towards the bottom of the league then that is a problem with your tactics & your in match decisions in the most part whether you like it or not.

Like many users you have a common trend of doing poorly against teams that play with a defensive setup, especially when you don't score first. What have you done/adjusted to counter this? anything? nothing?

THANK YOU for this, I couldn't say it better.

Now that officials have pointed out the introduction of collision detection as a huge step forward, everyone is suddenly so smart and behave in a "I always said collison was a FM12 problem" manner. Frankly, it's laughable.

You'd be suprised how many people pointed out this flaw during FM12. Most people seems happy with it because it benefitted them much more (remember the days of 70 goal a season poachers like Carlos Fierro)

Thank you for reply but i am done with fm 2014, there is no way to play that game again. Tried everything, nothing works, i just wanted to write my view of this game and to see what would people say on that. Now i see from your replies that nobody agree with me, so it is time for me to retire from fm series, beacuse there is no hope that this game will be fun again in future. It was very nice 15 years of playing and this is sad moment for me :)

The realism also has issues, in my save Scotland won the 2018 world cup, enough said.

Even though I'm not so happy with the editor issues for this edition, I can't say that your point is entirely valid. Greece won euro 2004 and Denmark won euro 1992 without qualifying that's what I call realism issues. :)

It's laughable that you are making this up and using it to promote your agenda.

RE FM 2014 14.3.0

Has anyone ever had it where a manager keeps declaring interest in your job despite your job status being secure?

I'm more willing to wonder if its a bug because its on the same save file where my DoF magically stopped working and some bids I made took a few weeks to go away despite being withdrawn. At one point the transfer centre showed me with 2 bids for same player. I haven't done any editing so don't know what's going on.

Has anyone ever had it where a manager keeps declaring interest in your job despite your job status being secure?

I'm more willing to wonder if its a bug because its on the same save file where my DoF magically stopped working and some bids I made took a few weeks to go away despite being withdrawn. At one point the transfer centre showed me with 2 bids for same player. I haven't done any editing so don't know what's going on.

Bug forum with that if can please SFV. Much appreciated. Sounds a touch fishy...

You'd be suprised how many people pointed out this flaw during FM12. Most people seems happy with it because it benefitted them much more (remember the days of 70 goal a season poachers like Carlos Fierro)

Oh how I miss the Fierro - Torres (Erick) partnership of yesteryear. Guaranteed 100+ goals a season right there...

It's laughable that you are making this up and using it to promote your agenda.

I don't have an agenda. I'm perfectly fine with people liking FM14, but I'm also annoyed that now many people act as if they never really liked FM 12 because of "no collision detection".

I was reading forums regularly back then as I am now and I assure you I'm not making this up.

I don't have an agenda. I'm perfectly fine with people liking FM14, but I'm also annoyed that now many people act as if they never really liked FM 12 because of "no collision detection".

I was reading forums regularly back then as I am now and I assure you I'm not making this up.

The degree to which people were inadvertently exploiting the lack of collision detection in FM12 didn't really come to light until the release of FM13. We saw a raft of tactics being posted in the tactics forum that had two IFs and a lone poacher, or three FCs. Behind these we had 7 players who never got forward and just pumped TB after TB forward for them to run onto. Eventually an FC / IF would run through the DC onto a ball and slot it home. The AI couldn't do the same so was left somewhat helpless.

With FM13 all the old style "keep seven back and feed three" tactics stopped working overnight. The whole reason I wrote the first 12 Step Guide to Playing FM was to combat the problems people were having with the introduction of collision detection and explain why they had to get more movement between the lines both vertically and laterally to succeed. It took a while to pinpoint why people were having this problem, but once we did, we provided the solution (at least to those who were willing to learn).

the game needs to stop being so blatent with the not your teams day results, spent 35 minutes against everton watching my top scorer miss easy chances, my #10 miss easy chances (who do players sometimes shoot directly where they are looking when through on goal yet looking directly at a big open space 5 yards next to the goal?) to conced to thier first shot on target after 39 minutes? I dont mind point dropping but I DO mind when its so obviously blatent that when you go from banging them in to missing MULTIPLE chances (even CCC's and stupid stuff like 1 yard tap ins because players decide to stand there)

can it be a team performance and something you can fix tactially rather then just this please.

the FM12 poacher thing was hilarious, but the corner thing it had won me the premier league with Blackpool.

Yeah, well that's the thing. It never occurred to me to play three up front because frankly, who does that? No real team plays with three out and out strikers so it's a no go for me in FM. I'd also get little satisfaction out of feeding a single player to score the majority of goals, I take pride in having a balanced spread of goals among my teams and get really OCD about it sometimes. This approach meant I never saw much out of the ordinary in my FM12 games in terms of strikers scoring goals - the statistics in that game apart from pass totals were very well balanced if you didn't aim for the through ball exploit.

I get a bit annoyed these days about the criticism that FM12 gets, most of which is in hindsight and in response to someone being harsh on the newer ME. There was NEVER an uproar about players being able to ghost through each other before the collision detection was announced on here. In fact I'm sure I was one of the loudest in complaining about the overly effective through balls. Yet now people make out like the game was utterly unplayable and riddled with unavoidable exploits (not you specifically, SFV, but a lot of people on here over the last couple of years).

FM12 was/is perfectly playable, but when a flaw becomes apparent, it's not surprising that it would diminish someone's enjoyment of the game. In any version of FM, you will do well if you adhere to real world principles, but if you know there's a potential exploit, it's inevitably going to influence your decision-making and, for me, that's not something I want in a simulation. wwfan emphasized how people actively exploited it at the expense of the AI, but it was also the case that everyone, including the AI, would benefit from the lack of collision detection to some degree. It was part of the "reality" that FM12 presented, and once you know that flaw is there and can potentially help/harm you, it becomes more difficult and frustrating to not actively respond to it. Again, this doesn't make the game flat-out unplayable, especially if the tactical side of the game isn't a draw for you, but it inevitably detracts from what I want out of a football simulation.

Thank you for reply but i am done with fm 2014, there is no way to play that game again. Tried everything, nothing works, i just wanted to write my view of this game and to see what would people say on that. Now i see from your replies that nobody agree with me, so it is time for me to retire from fm series, beacuse there is no hope that this game will be fun again in future. It was very nice 15 years of playing and this is sad moment for me :)

Calm down man it might get better next year lol

my opinion is that si have taken out direct football if youre an attacking team. through my own experiences i believe that they want you to play through the middle slowly building from the back.

I don't have much joy from trying to exploit fast wingers or fast striker because there are very few long through balls/defence spliting through balls and very few great runs. Long shot goals are rare aswell even if your team has a few guys with long shots

it seems if you play 1 upfront having him in an attacking role will rarely get you a top scorer because most the through balls are to the wide men who want to shoot from the sides of the penalty box.

If you are poorer team then the long ball counter will work to an extent as long as the defence ad midfield block most the shots on goal

For the stats thing i think stats have been dampened and is more of a lucky dip I understand why that is with some atributes but not all

Also ppm's mean less

Calm down man it might get better next year lol

my opinion is that si have taken out direct football if youre an attacking team. through my own experiences i believe that they want you to play through the middle slowly building from the back.

I don't have much joy from trying to exploit fast wingers or fast striker because there are very few long through balls/defence spliting through balls and very few great runs. Long shot goals are rare aswell even if your team has a few guys with long shots

it seems if you play 1 upfront having him in an attacking role will rarely get you a top scorer because most the through balls are to the wide men who want to shoot from the sides of the penalty box.

If you are poorer team then the long ball counter will work to an extent as long as the defence ad midfield block most the shots on goal

For the stats thing i think stats have been dampened and is more of a lucky dip I understand why that is with some atributes but not all

Also ppm's mean less

If you're playing Attacking, you're going to have a high line by default and your defenders will be instructed to pass it short, and when you combine that with opponents inclined to sit deep against a big side, that's going to restrict chances for pacy attackers. That's not a matter of what SI wants but an issue of needing to adapt the default mentality settings to better fit the style you want to use. In that case, if you want to use Attacking with more of a counter-style build-up, you'll want to play a much deeper line while using ball playing defenders, a deep-lying playmaker and, ideally, attack duty fullbacks.

So, just started a new save and the workload is light, some complain it's too light although it's on medium (team work HIGH and tactics on 50%). What is really frustrating me is that i am still in august and 4 key players of mine got injured for months during training, players with low levels on injury proneness.

How's this possible?

I've been on these forums since 2006 and unless the many discussions pointing out lack of collision detection were in private or something then no, not many people at all were even aware of it. I was one of the loudest in complaining about the through ball to fast striker pattern. Didn't have many agree with me I can tell you.

And still, the game was fine and balanced if you played it normally. As I said, I've never had a striker score 40 goals on any version of FM. And I've had plenty of pacey ones over the years. I never had to actively handicap myself either, although I do always aim for a balanced spread of goals. Getting your striker to score 70 or 100 goals required a specific set up that only made sense for just that purpose.

Getting your striker to score 70 or 100 goals required a specific set up that only made sense for just that purpose.

No it didn't.

I was just bored and stuck three up front, and then the use of quick passing and through balls was part of my general philosophy, then it worked.

Whilst I do agree with you that there weren't that many complaining about non-collision specifically, there were a lot of people complaining about how boring it was to have plug-and-play tactics, myself included on sortitoutsi.

FM12 was fun for me until I realised I could win every match. I didn't have the discipline to say, OK, I'll only use 4-4-2, as I hadn't set out to find a cheating tactic so it was hard to draw the line between what was and what wasn't.

FM 13 and FM 14 have been entirely different, and about 99% of people who think they aren't as good just wanted to win all the time. They can make their own decision as to what they want in a game, but they are entirely wrong in the many comments suggesting these last 2 are broken.

Of course 13 and 14 aren't broken. That's not even the point. But don't be surprised when one of the future versions introduces a revolutionary improvement that makes some current mechanics also seem as obsolete as the non-collision-detection ME's. Like a lot of the stuff that deals with defensive line movement, marking, pressing and physical defending. What will happen then is that there are going to be lots of people that will point out how the lack of that revolutionary improvement made the current generation ME really bad (or broken) as if it was a widely recognized fact right now. While it will actually all be in hindsight.

While it will actually all be in hindsight.

I get what you are getting at, but for me it can't happen on the same scale, as winning endlessly on 13 and 14 is so much harder.

I hope that in future it will get harder still, so your point isn't wrong, but given the fairly realistic random losing that happens already, I don't see such a big leap occuring as from 12>13 ever again, as then the game would have moved into always losing.

If everything has to be on a winning/losing scale then sure. But there would have been other ways of making the game harder than collision detection. It's not about how hard it is but rather how intuitive the process of tactics and training feels to use and how much the game played in the ME represents what you see on the real pitch. There are much bigger strides yet to be taken than collision detection.

If everything has to be on a winning/losing scale then sure. But there would have been other ways of making the game harder than collision detection. It's not about how hard it is but rather how intuitive the process of tactics and training feels to use and how much the game played in the ME represents what you see on the real pitch. There are much bigger strides yet to be taken than collision detection.

I agree, I use winning and losing as they surely naturally from from it being harder if that hardness has come as a natural (and desirable) by-product of realism

(but I think we have moved away from the points we disagreed on into territory where we largely agree)

Introducing collision avoidance wasn't just a matter of preventing the IF-Poacher-IF exploit but also establishing the groundwork for improving areas you mentioned above: pressing, physicality in defending, the importance of interpositional cover and the benefits of a hard-working midfield core. As those improvements come, logical and realistic decisions will yield ever more noticeable rewards, and I think people will be justified in preferring a game where there's an increasingly clear and predictable risk/reward balance for every decision and less of a sense that you can find some optimal middle ground by spending months experimenting with counterintuitive combinations of instructions. This is why many people now strongly prefer FM14 over FM12, and it's why they'll prefer FM16 over FM14. Progress makes everything relative.

So, just started a new save and the workload is light, some complain it's too light although it's on medium (team work HIGH and tactics on 50%). What is really frustrating me is that i am still in august and 4 key players of mine got injured for months during training, players with low levels on injury proneness.

How's this possible?

There are alot more injuries now especially if you play hassle opponent as soon as I stopped injuries decrease also if training is too light players won't be able to cope with intense matches.. that's from what i've seen in real life (if you usually train for 1200M and run a marathon each week your body won't cope) I believe average is the best I only ever use low if I have fixture conjestion

Ronaldo scoring 15-20 goals per season is as unrealistic as an average FM12 talent scoring 100. Even more unrealistic, since it is empiricaly proved that he scores twice as many. Managed by AI, so it's not my tactics, or anything. Game is just not as good as you claim it to be.

Also, new tactic system gives us far less control than previous. It is a bit more realistic, but supstituting 20 modes of width, def. line, or passing with 3-5? No, it is not progress, it is downgrade.

Ronaldo scoring 15-20 goals per season is as unrealistic as an average FM12 talent scoring 100. Even more unrealistic, since it is empiricaly proved that he scores twice as many. Managed by AI, so it's not my tactics, or anything. Game is just not as good as you claim it to be.

Also, new tactic system gives us far less control than previous. It is a bit more realistic, but supstituting 20 modes of width, def. line, or passing with 3-5? No, it is not progress, it is downgrade.

You never had 20 modes. There was no actual visible difference between 19 and 20, for example.

and you have more than that, since the D-line is also relative to mentality.

Perhaps it was not visible, but it was an option. You do have more than 3-5 all together, but last year you had 20 modes available for every mentality. It is considerably more than this. And, saying that there is no difference between 19 and 20 means that there is no difference between 18 and 19, 17 and 18, so, basically, 17 and 20 are the same. Or at least that's how that slider was translated into new system.

I'm not saying idea is completely bad, just that realization could have been way better.

I would say that's really not anywhere near as unrealistic as an average talent scoring 100 goals. It's certainly well within the realm of possibility that a manager could misuse him. In any case, it's very much possible to get Ronaldo scoring as he does in real life, and if he tends to underperform under the AI, it has more to do with the tactics that AI Ancelotti tends to use as opposed to the ME. AI tactics are certainly an area that could use some improvement, but that was an even bigger issue with prior versions. As I recall, in FM12, Barca would play with a deep defensive line due to a researcher error with Messi and Iniesta out wide hitting long crosses to Villa. I'll take a slightly underperforming Ronaldo over that.

As for substituting 21 slider settings with 3-5... the TC still uses the full range of all the old sliders. It's not limited to 3-5 options. Rather, you have a baseline group of settings established by mentality that you can then modify in a number of ways using a wide variety of instructions. In any case, the effects of the sliders was a question of controlling tendencies and probabilities in relation to how your opponent is playing, which a lot of people didn't understand, so unless you watch hundreds of hours of the same tactic on full match, there's basically no way you could identify the practical effect of a 1 or 2 position adjustment to something like width or passing. That being the case, nothing has really been lost or "downgraded" other than a lot of misconceptions about what various sliders actually did.

I would say that's really not anywhere near as unrealistic as an average talent scoring 100 goals. It's certainly well within the realm of possibility that a manager could misuse him. In any case, it's very much possible to get Ronaldo scoring as he does in real life, and if he tends to underperform under the AI, it has more to do with the tactics that AI Ancelotti tends to use as opposed to the ME. AI tactics are certainly an area that could use some improvement, but that was an even bigger issue with prior versions. As I recall, in FM12, Barca would play with a deep defensive line due to a researcher error with Messi and Iniesta out wide hitting long crosses to Villa. I'll take a slightly underperforming Ronaldo over that.

It's not just Ancelotti, in my save he was sacked, with Mourinho, Ronaldo scored 23 in all competitions. When Mourinho was Real Madrid manager, Ronaldo scored 50+ every season. I have to disagree about slightly underperforming Ronaldo. The same goes for Messi. It's 14.3 that made them so average. Before it, they were quite "normal". This patch fixed few bugs, but created new ones. First touch - fixed, moronic defenders and strikers occured. FM13 was considerably better on 13.3.3. At least in terms of realism in first seasons.

As for substituting 21 slider settings with 3-5... the TC still uses the full range of all the old sliders. It's not limited to 3-5 options. Rather, you have a baseline group of settings established by mentality that you can then modify in a number of ways using a wide variety of instructions. In any case, the effects of the sliders was a question of controlling tendencies and probabilities in relation to how your opponent is play, which a lot of people didn't understand, so unless you watch hundreds of hours of the same tactic on full match, there's basically no way you could identify the practical effect of a 1 or 2 position adjustment to something like width or passing. That being the case, nothing has really been lost or "downgraded" other than a lot of misconceptions about what various sliders actually did.

As for sliders... Even though pressing is generally unplayable (I mean real pressing, not players walking towards opponents), certain roles don't allow more or less closing down. CD is an option that needs more than two modalities, since pressing intensity is not something that can be described with more and less. Not to mention that strikers generally can't close down more and defenders can't close down less. Same goes for passing - shorter, default and direct are not quite enough for individual players. For example: Barca plays shorter passes than Dortmund in general, even though both teams tend to play "shorter passing". Even though other elements influence their playing style, one simply can't say that passing length of these teams is same in general.

Also, hold up ball for certain roles can't be turned off, making so-called "hybrid roles" is blocked, eg. wingers can't cut inside or move into channels. If all the options were enabled for every position (and role), system would give us far more control than now, and it may even be more realistic than the one with sliders. Now - it just simplifies things too much. It is more about picking an ideal player for the role, than adjusting role to maximize players' strength. Something that comes to my mind would be Eto'o in Mourinho's Inter. Impossible to copy.

One more thing - primary playmaker, target man and target man supply - previous system also gave us more control. We could target poachers with through balls, tall DLFs to head etc., now we are forced to use "real" target men and hope that other players will target them the way we want. It's not like that option bothered anyone.

As for sliders... Even though pressing is generally unplayable (I mean real pressing, not players walking towards opponents), certain roles don't allow more or less closing down. CD is an option that needs more than two modalities, since pressing intensity is not something that can be described with more and less. Not to mention that strikers generally can't close down more and defenders can't close down less.

If you want a striker to close down more, use a Defensive Forward or use OIs? Defenders close down in relation to your mentality. Don't want them to close down as much? Choose a lower mentality. Still want the midfield to close down a lot? Tell them to "press more" or employ ball-winning midfielders. A "stopper" defender will obviously close down more and a "cover" defender, less.

Same goes for passing - shorter, default and direct are not quite enough for individual players. For example: Barca plays shorter passes than Dortmund in general, even though both teams tend to play "shorter passing". Even though other elements influence their playing style, one simply can't say that passing length of these teams is same in general.
Barca also plays with a lower mentality, which (correct me if I'm wrong) also shortens the passes.
Also, hold up ball for certain roles can't be turned off, making so-called "hybrid roles" is blocked, eg. wingers can't cut inside or move into channels. If all the options were enabled for every position (and role), system would give us far more control than now, and it may even be more realistic than the one with sliders. Now - it just simplifies things too much. It is more about picking an ideal player for the role, than adjusting role to maximize players' strength. Something that comes to my mind would be Eto'o in Mourinho's Inter. Impossible to copy.

One more thing - primary playmaker, target man and target man supply - previous system also gave us more control. We could target poachers with through balls, tall DLFs to head etc., now we are forced to use "real" target men and hope that other players will target them the way we want. It's not like that option bothered anyone.

Wingers are wingers. If they cut inside, they're not wingers anymore but Inside Forwards or Advanced Playmakers since that's what an they do. Target Men are also very simple. Your passing affects how they'll use him. Employing a Poacher? Give more of your forward players instructions to "Pass into Space".

If you want a striker to close down more, use a Defensive Forward or use OIs? Defenders close down in relation to your mentality. Don't want them to close down as much? Choose a lower mentality. Still want the midfield to close down a lot? Tell them to "press more" or employ ball-winning midfielders. A "stopper" defender will obviously close down more and a "cover" defender, less.

CD Defend closes down too much. Strikers don't close down more than default. Not even with OI. Mandzukic-like pressing is impossible in the game. Generally, pressing is one of the worst areas of the ME.

Wingers are wingers. If they cut inside, they're not wingers anymore but Inside Forwards or Advanced Playmakers since that's what an they do.

Eto'o was a defensive winger very often in Inter's CL campaign. But still, he did cut inside. It doesn't hurt having an option to modify a role, does it? It didn't hurt last couple of years.

It's not just Ancelotti, in my save he was sacked, with Mourinho, Ronaldo scored 23 in all competitions. When Mourinho was Real Madrid manager, Ronaldo scored 50+ every season. I have to disagree about slightly underperforming Ronaldo. The same goes for Messi. It's 14.3 that made them so average. Before it, they were quite "normal". This patch fixed few bugs, but created new ones. First touch - fixed, moronic defenders and strikers occured. FM13 was considerably better on 13.3.3. At least in terms of realism in first seasons.

Goal statistics aren't the only standard of realism. It would certainly be easier for SI if they were only interested in producing a statistics generator, but they're trying to produce a simulation of football which means that short term improvements in the actual action on the pitch may have some knock-on effects for the stats produced if certain players were over-reliant on certain ME quirks. As I recall, in FM13, the inferior defending required DMs and fullbacks to produce astronomical tackle rates for both AI and human-controlled sides, and earlier versions had serious problems with every half-decent dribbler just being able to slalom through defences like Messi at his best. That's much worse than AI managers not getting the best out of some big stars under 14.3.

As for sliders... Even though pressing is generally unplayable (I mean real pressing, not players walking towards opponents), certain roles don't allow more or less closing down. CD is an option that needs more than two modalities, since pressing intensity is not something that can be described with more and less. Not to mention that strikers generally can't close down more and defenders can't close down less. Same goes for passing - shorter, default and direct are not quite enough for individual players. For example: Barca plays shorter passes than Dortmund in general, even though both teams tend to play "shorter passing". Even though other elements influence their playing style, one simply can't say that passing length of these teams is same in general.

I absolutely agree that there could be more options, but the new system will actually enable this as the game grows out of the restrictions imposed by the old system. The sliders gave the illusion of this broad range of control when it was all a question of making minor tweaks to the same standardized set of behaviours.

As for sliders... Even though pressing is generally unplayable (I mean real pressing, not players walking towards opponents), certain roles don't allow more or less closing down.

I actually think unrealistic use of "Hassle" is the closest thing to an ME exploit you will find in 14.3.

It doesn't hurt having an option to modify a role, does it? It didn't hurt last couple of years.

It does hurt if it goes against what the role is all about. That's why we can't select certain options. One or two more roles is what we need then? Sounds like your name is down for a Defensive Inside Forward? :D

Goal statistics aren't the only standard of realism. It would certainly be easier for SI if they were only interested in producing a statistics generator, but they're trying to produce a simulation of football which means that short term improvements in the actual action on the pitch may have some knock-on effects for the stats produced if certain players were over-reliant on certain ME quirks. As I recall, in FM13, the inferior defending required DMs and fullbacks to produce astronomical tackle rates for both AI and human-controlled sides, and earlier versions had serious problems with every half-decent dribbler just being able to slalom through defences like Messi at his best. That's much worse than AI managers not getting the best out of some big stars under 14.3.

This. They had problems in other areas. Fixing one problem constantly generates new problems. That's basically what bothers me most about FM. Along with pressing :D

I agree that goal statistics aren't only standard of realism, but Ronaldo and Messi constantly missing 1 on 1, so they don't score 50+, you have to agree that it's not quite realistic situation either. And yes, I have seen them behaving like morons in front of goal in FM.

It does hurt if it goes against what the role is all about. That's why we can't select certain options. One or two more roles is what we need then? Sounds like your name is down for a Defensive Inside Forward? :D

Maybe :D But, then again Mourinho practically "invented" Eto'os role. That is not possible in FM14, and it was possible in FM13. Roles were a good start in previous versions, since they gave general settings, but could still be significantly modified, what they lack this year.

I actually think unrealistic use of "Hassle" is the closest thing to an ME exploit you will find in 14.3.

Define this. Hassle doesn't equal Guardiola-like pressing. Real pressing is what ME really lacks.

Define this. Hassle doesn't equal Guardiola-like pressing. Real pressing is what ME really lacks.

As I said above, it's definitely an area that can be improved, but the possibility of those improvements was contingent on the steps taken in FM13 and FM14. You can't have aggressive, physical defending without some form of collision detection in place.And when teams do start pressing like Bayern, many people will be furious to discover that they suddenly can't keep three AMs drifting around ahead of the midfield battle and we'll all argue over how FM14 was a perfectly good game. :D

And when teams do start pressing like Bayern, many people will be furious to discover that they suddenly can't keep three AMs drifting around ahead of the midfield battle and we'll all argue over how FM14 was a perfectly good game. :D

That was exactly my point before, or more precisely - the other side of it. Is FM14 not a good game?

That was exactly my point before, or more precisely - the other side of it. Is FM14 not a good game?

It's a good game, but games improve and standards are raised. Daggerfall was incredible in 1996. Skyrim is vastly superior.

It's a good game, but games improve and standards are raised. Daggerfall was incredible in 1996. Skyrim is vastly superior.

Haven't played either, sorry.

And I don't agree that collision avoidance alone was enough to raise the standards and make FM13/14 superior to FM12. I don't think FM13 was superior at all. Far too unbalanced on the pitch and statistically. FM14 is superior, but that's still a largely subjective opinion on my part.

As I said above, it's definitely an area that can be improved, but the possibility of those improvements was contingent on the steps taken in FM13 and FM14. You can't have aggressive, physical defending without some form of collision detection in place.And when teams do start pressing like Bayern, many people will be furious to discover that they suddenly can't keep three AMs drifting around ahead of the midfield battle and we'll all argue over how FM14 was a perfectly good game. :D

Maybe, but it would give totally new dimension to the game. One thing is not understanding tactics, but being limited to play in a certain way by the ME is totally another. This ME has too many limitations, especially in copying managers like Guardiola. Even Mourinho's "broken" pressing, where only front 3(4) press, while back players don't is not replicable in a good way. Definitely, apart from random occurring bugs (first touch, moronic defenders and strikers), pressing is the crucial flaw of the ME. It is one of the crucial elements of modern football, so it has to be implemented way better. And definitely, Hassle and Stand off are not enough for all kinds of pressing. It is way too complicated for 2 team instructions editable only for certain roles in only one way (+ or -).

Also, why was Zonal/Man removed?

14.3 is head and shoulders above previous incarnations of FM14. There are still very annoying problems, but they don't ruin the fun for me as much as the terrible first-touches did... It's especially annoying when keepers gather the ball up... then step across the byline to concede a corner. Sportsmanship. Good work anyway, SI.

Anyway, right now my most annoying problem is that my game how now crashed several times even though it never did in previous patches. I'm running a 2011 Macbook Pro. Any thoughts?

Altyd 'n plesier.

The SI guys will help you out soon enough.

The basic two things to do though, is this:

Deleting your preferences files as shown here - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=218

Verifying your game cache as shown here - http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=221

Edit: It's all in the FAQ in that section. Top of the page.

Maybe, but it would give totally new dimension to the game. One thing is not understanding tactics, but being limited to play in a certain way by the ME is totally another. This ME has too many limitations, especially in copying managers like Guardiola. Even Mourinho's "broken" pressing, where only front 3(4) press, while back players don't is not replicable in a good way. Definitely, apart from random occurring bugs (first touch, moronic defenders and strikers), pressing is the crucial flaw of the ME. It is one of the crucial elements of modern football, so it has to be implemented way better. And definitely, Hassle and Stand off are not enough for all kinds of pressing. It is way too complicated for 2 team instructions editable only for certain roles in only one way (+ or -).

Also, why was Zonal/Man removed?

I disagree about pressing options being limited to two team instructions. The representation is definitely something I'd like to see improved, but the options for all the standard pressing schemes are there via mentality combined with the "push up" and "drop deeper" instructions. The only thing that's a bit tricky is false/broken pressing which you can achieve, but getting there is a bit convoluted if you don't want to use the defensive forward/winger roles.

Man marking was removed because it wasn't actual man-to-man marking, more of a tight zonal set-up, and to my knowledge, didn't really reflect a marking system that anyone really uses.

Man marking was thought to be extinct, but then Greece won EC using that system. It exists, even though it is not as common. Removing options is not the way to evolve tactic system. Coaches nowdays still know about man marking and are able to instruct their teams to play in such manner, it is their choice not to. I actually used man marking last year.

Man marking was thought to be extinct, but then Greece won EC using that system. It exists, even though it is not as common. Removing options is not the way to evolve tactic system. Coaches nowdays still know about man marking and are able to instruct their teams to play in such manner, it is their choice not to. I actually used man marking last year.

Strict man-to-man marking is still in the game via individual instructions. The old FM "man marking" can be approximated with the default setting and a "tighter marking" TI, as that setting was more of a "tight zonal" system and not really a good representation of how teams like Greece '00 played.

Archived