Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

Might be reputation related. In FM proper, his initial reputation might not be enough for the chairman to trust him with a transfer budget when the club has limited funds. That would be turned off in FMC.

Ah that's a fair point thanks. I had started new games since patch on both and started both as automatic reputation so I guess that may not have such an effect in FMC..

There seriously needs to be another patch because the current patch is still frustrating as hell and totally unrealistic.

Full backs played like a fool every game by wingers who are of lesser caliber. It's as though it's not possible to tell them to stay in front of the wingers.

Crosses are easily exploited. Especially drilled crosses.

Corners, Free-kicks leading to goal is seriously high, even for my own team. (And I have not even touched anything related to set piece). It's like my Defenders scores more goals than my wingers.

Corners smashing against the cross bar. Seriously, how often does this happen in reality? Smashing it against the cross bar and then it deflects out for a Throw-In. It's almost defying physics.

Goalkeepers are AWFUL. Kicking balls straight to the opponent for no particular reason. (And I'm playing Real Madrid with Casillas.)

Long range goals almost never happen.

CCC is pain in the ass. It's frustrating to watch, even more frustrating when to read "Even the manager is shaking his head", "That's enough to destroy one's self belief". The amount of chances a world class striker can blow is just amazing. Even 2 yards in front of goal the keeper will be blocking, blocking, blocking and finally "It's a goal kick".

If nothing is done it'll be seriously disappointing.

Won't comment on any of the others, as I'm not really seeing too many occurrences of them, but had to comment on this...

Corners smashing against the cross bar. Seriously, how often does this happen in reality? Smashing it against the cross bar and then it deflects out for a Throw-In. It's almost defying physics.

If a corner swings in and hits the bar, given it's already going to be moving pretty horizontal, where else would it go rather than out for a throw-in? It's hardly "defying physics".

Plus, as has been said many times, if there is an update (which is already very unlikely) it's almost certain that it wouldn't touch the ME.

Won't comment on any of the others, as I'm not really seeing too many occurrences of them, but had to comment on this...

If a corner swings in and hits the bar, given it's already going to be moving pretty horizontal, where else would it go rather than out for a throw-in? It's hardly "defying physics".

Plus, as has been said many times, if there is an update (which is already very unlikely) it's almost certain that it wouldn't touch the ME.

Smashing it against the crossbar is fine. Smashing it and flying immediately for a freaking throw-in on the other side of the field? Take note, NO ONE touches the ball. How hard did my corner taker hit his corner kick? And how many times have that actually happened IRL? One more thing is, sometimes the throw-in isn't even close to the corner flag, but a couple of yards further from it.

I know an update will be unlikely, which is why this is so disappointing. There are so many flaws still in the ME that it is utterly embarrassing.

Smashing it against the crossbar is fine. Smashing it and flying immediately for a freaking throw-in on the other side of the field? Take note, NO ONE touches the ball. How hard did my corner taker hit his corner kick? And how many times have that actually happened IRL? One more thing is, sometimes the throw-in isn't even close to the corner flag, but a couple of yards further from it.

I know an update will be unlikely, which is why this is so disappointing. There are so many flaws still in the ME that it is utterly embarrassing.

I was going to draw you a helpful diagram, but SFV said it much better. I'd say defying the laws of physics in the way you seem to be suggesting would push the ME towards embarrassing rather than something perfectly plausible happening a little too frequently.

truly enjoying this game at the moment. can't believe there as still people who claim this game to be broken.

I too have this issue! at first I thought it might be due to using the editor but it seems to happen when I minimise and use the internet. If I restart the game it returns to normal, and funny enough out of the blue the odd scout report will come through ok.... strange

Restarting the game also fixed it for me, very odd

Goalkeepers are AWFUL. Kicking balls straight to the opponent for no particular reason. (And I'm playing Real Madrid with Casillas.)

This. I thought it was just Clark Masters who couldn't kick a habit, but I've signed a better keeper (on paper) and the same thing is happening. I've lost count of the number of times he has presented the AI with a golden opportunity to score. Thankfully they rarely take full advantage of it due to the poor ratio of one-on-ones that are converted, but still...

We all know that there won't be an ME update, which is disappointing - not because the ME is broken, but because it is so close to being a fantastic simulation. Oh well.

This. I thought it was just Clark Masters who couldn't kick a habit, but I've signed a better keeper (on paper) and the same thing is happening. I've lost count of the number of times he has presented the AI with a golden opportunity to score.

This is something that has needed sorting out for several versions. I hope by 15 it's fixed. For now, what I do to stop that is set GK passing to short, set through balls to rarely, and use defender collect instruction. If he is still passing it up the middle stupidly, then I specify a particular fullback to use as an out. This has eliminated 95% of the idiocy for me, though I wish I didn't have to do this at all.

Goals from indirect freekicks being disallowed for offside is so frustrating. Don't even celebrate them any more and don't know what I can do to stop it.

Restarting the game also fixed it for me, very odd

Do you have a large number of players selected, large database or downloaded add on leagues in your setup??

Well my own tactics don't seem to let the AI get too much joy from this, probably because I have enough cover.

What to do to tactically to provide cover if you play a standard back four? What counts as sufficient cover to stop fullbacks from doing that?

It reminds me of needing to play a DM in order to stop CBs pushing forward and closing down the opponent way too early and carelessly, regardless of instructions.

Do you have a large number of players selected, large database or downloaded add on leagues in your setup??

None of the above. I have a customised database size with ~50,000 players, but no downloaded leages

Least enjoyable FM to date. Still.

I cannot get a result against any of the big teams - even when i objectively play better/create more chances/go one up/sit back and defend/play attacking. One of my usually excellent defenders will just have an uncharacteristic nightmare and pass it to their player or something equally unrealistic.

Games against Man Utd, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool are a write off.

14.3 ME feedback

having played a full season with mostly comprehensive highlights:

Players seem unable to shoot very effectively. I have players who are great finishes, and have all required attrbiutes for a striker yet they often shoot a long way high and wide of the goal. There are 1v1 opportuntities that result in no goal most of the time. Unless the player goes around the GK then the chance of a goal is slim.

There is little benefit from corners that i can see. The box is too packed even with only 3 players in the box and players are 'less reactive' and seem to require a first touch to be able to strike the ball into the goal.

There is not much correlation between a CCC and the scoreline. I can have 5 CCC vs 0 for the opposition and i will lose 1-0. In fact, if my striker scores i will be suprised.

Please patch the dodgy shooting! (or insanely good Goalkeeping)

Can i assume more patches will be in the pipeline, not sure wheen focus moves to fm15,

I wouldn't assume anything.

Neil Brock commented early on in this thread that there are no further updates planned.

Guest El Payaso

Biggest defensive problems I'm having with this current version are these two:

1. Full-backs being skinned. They just seem to be unable to block crosses even when they are actually faster than the wingers who are dribbling. This happens both against and for me: most of the goalscoring chances come from crosses when the wingers decide that it's time to make things happen.

2. Defensive line dealing with crosses. For me it seems that attacking players get to the end of most of the crosses and even when defenders finally deal with the cross, the clearances are usually poor: either straight to opposition's player at the edge of penalty area or cleared for corner.

It just isn't fun watching players like Jack Barmby and Jordan Graham dominate inside the penalty area and getting at the end of most of the crosses and at our own end aerially quite decent defenders basically never dealing with those floated or drilled balls. Also my keeper should be dominant aerially but the only crosses he claims are the ones that are hit straight at him.

I'm starting to get annoyed by the fact that there will be no more patches. The following are just making me cry out for a fix:

1. No mention of substitutions from the AI if done at half time. This was working before and I can also remember seeing this in FM.

2. Dribbling is useless in the game. 14.0 to 14.3 I've never seen any fancy dribbling. Happens to AI and my team. Players like Messi or Suarez can't win a dribble to save their skin.

3. Tackles are ridiculously shown in the 3D view. Tackle, player falls down like he was blown away. And almost 90% of times it is a sliding tackle and most are from behind. Every player looks like a professional diver.

That's some what I could remember. I really do hope that SI take a look again. I believe they have a excellent community relationship. Do take this into consideration please!

Guest El Payaso

2. Dribbling is useless in the game. 14.0 to 14.3 I've never seen any fancy dribbling. Happens to AI and my team. Players like Messi or Suarez can't win a dribble to save their skin.

Dribbling is useless... quite the opposite: dribbling is the main attacking tool in the game and decent wingers create about 5 good chances every game through their ability to dribble. It's more like overpowering than useless.

Took me a few seasons to get into this since the 14.3 patch but I have to say on the most part I am happy with it.

First couple of seasons with Liverpool I struggled. Stuck with it as I was convinced my tactic would work when I had the right players. 4th season won both English cups and got beat in the Champions League final. 5 season, won the league by a country mile. 6th season I have started pretty well.

With regards to the match engine it does have its faults and there are some really stupid mistakes made by players but you also see some fantastic football played. Never going to be perfect, after all it is a game.

Took me a few seasons to get into this since the 14.3 patch but I have to say on the most part I am happy with it.

First couple of seasons with Liverpool I struggled. Stuck with it as I was convinced my tactic would work when I had the right players. 4th season won both English cups and got beat in the Champions League final. 5 season, won the league by a country mile. 6th season I have started pretty well.

With regards to the match engine it does have its faults and there are some really stupid mistakes made by players but you also see some fantastic football played. Never going to be perfect, after all it is a game.

Glad you stuck with it Steve and it is working out well.

Not really a bug but I've never seen this before in previous versions....I have the Brazilian league loaded on my save, though I'm not playing in it nor have I ever, Corinthians (AI controlled) went 182 league games undefeated from seasons 2023-2028, winning 59 league games in row in the middle of that as their longest winning sequence.

In season 2024 they played 38, won 38, goals for 149 (that's average of 3.92 goals per game!), goals against 5, Points 114. :(

I'd never even noticed if I wasn't subscribed to that league and kept getting the "Corinthians break new record [insert record of choice :D ]" again and again and again.

Is that possible or right??

Playing down in the Skrill league two problems are instantly apparent.

1 : I cant arrange friendly matches for my reserves so I cant get anyone match fit.

2 : Players are very panicky when clearing the ball frequently putting it out for a corner when they had enough time to at-least turn and put it out for a throw in.

I'm not really a fan of the new "Goalkeepers now accept bungs" feature that's been added.

It's a one-off, of course, and I post it more for amusement than criticism, but for once I'm pretty sure this one isn't my tactics. ;)

Not really a bug but I've never seen this before in previous versions....I have the Brazilian league loaded on my save, though I'm not playing in it nor have I ever, Corinthians (AI controlled) went 182 league games undefeated from seasons 2023-2028, winning 59 league games in row in the middle of that as their longest winning sequence.

In season 2024 they played 38, won 38, goals for 149 (that's average of 3.92 goals per game!), goals against 5, Points 114. :(

I'd never even noticed if I wasn't subscribed to that league and kept getting the "Corinthians break new record [insert record of choice :D ]" again and again and again.

Is that possible or right??

Omg, what tactic they were using? It's very hard to get this record in Brazilian league, all the teams are very similar technically speaking.

How to stop players with FM? Declare correct errors in FM 2015:lol:

I don't think I'm alone when I say, I don't understand this.

Could you try and explain what you mean in more words please?

I can explain.

Why SI does not plan to fix of observed errors?

I understand that SI leaves full of errors a game, by going to create FM15?

What is important for Si? Profit or good players, because the action of Si lead that players turn away from the series.

p.s sorry for my poor english.

I can explain.

Why SI does not plan to fix of observed errors?

I understand that SI leaves full of errors a game, by going to create FM15?

What is important for Si? Profit or good players, because the action of Si lead that players turn away from the series.

p.s sorry for my poor english.

Of course they plan to fix errors, just not as expediently as the entitled want it. Most will be fixed in FM15. It's not "full of errors". And this is no different to the procedure they've gone through on every single edition. For every player that "turns away" from the series, at least another one will come to it for FM15 because they've drawn a clear line in the sand, and started to work on that.

Throw ins are still just thrown to the opposition at times, it's been in far too many versions and yet still no fix.

Of course they plan to fix errors, just not as expediently as the entitled want it. Most will be fixed in FM15. It's not "full of errors". And this is no different to the procedure they've gone through on every single edition. For every player that "turns away" from the series, at least another one will come to it for FM15 because they've drawn a clear line in the sand, and started to work on that.

So are we to understand that the SI will focus on FM15 than FM14 fix errors? I wonder how they will explain people from SI, the FM15 version gets the same or similar errors in the game code?

So are we to understand that the SI will focus on FM15 than FM14 fix errors? I wonder how they will explain people from SI, the FM15 version gets the same or similar errors in the game code?

Errors/bugs will be fixed/improved for FM15. That much is clear, looking at the bugs forum. Other than that, there's no point speculating whether errors/bugs will remain in FM15.

If you encounter any errors/bugs, please report it in the bugs forum. That way you know it'll get looked at.

Errors/bugs will be fixed/improved for FM15. That much is clear, looking at the bugs forum. Other than that, there's no point speculating whether errors/bugs will remain in FM15.

If you encounter any errors/bugs, please report it in the bugs forum. That way you know it'll get looked at.

Maybe a rhetorical question, but what bugs reported in the forums are not repaired or how now be repaired in the next version?

This way to find out about this I was somehow forced by the SI to buy FM15

Maybe a rhetorical question, but what bugs reported in the forums are not repaired or how now be repaired in the next version?

This way to find out about this I was somehow forced by the SI to buy FM15

It's way too early speculate about FM15. I don't work for SI but I do know that all bugs, big or small, get logged. So there's already a list of bugs that will get looked at. You'll be able to try the FM15 demo to decide for yourself, so you're not getting forced into anything.

Enough about this now, please. Lets get back to the point of the thread, which is giving feedback on the game and 14.3.

It's way too early speculate about FM15. I don't work for SI but I do know that all bugs, big or small, get logged. So there's already a list of bugs that will get looked at. You'll be able to try the FM15 demo to decide for yourself, so you're not getting forced into anything.

Enough about this now, please. Lets get back to the point of the thread, which is giving feedback on the game and 14.3.

I am writing about. How can you leave the product, to which shall be notified still serious errors. You wrote that a long time to release a patch 14.3 is dictated this to avoid errors such as the patch was 14.2. And now I have to buy a new edition? The final product is not a demo, so do not check for errors like in FM14

I am writing about. How can you leave the product, to which shall be notified still serious errors. You wrote that a long time to release a patch 14.3 is dictated this to avoid errors such as the patch was 14.2. And now I have to buy a new edition? The final product is not a demo, so do not check for errors like in FM14

I don't think FM14 has serious errors or anything like that. It is playable and you can have fun still. Me personally I am starting to enjoy it less, I find 14.3 too hard but for others, this is a challenge for them to work out the ME and come up with a better tactic.

I'll buy FM15 etc no matter how I feel about FM14. I think saying the game needs repairing is wide of the mark, and totally unfair.

Omg, what tactic they were using? It's very hard to get this record in Brazilian league, all the teams are very similar technically speaking.

Not sure what they were using then, but now a 4-2-2-2 with 2x DM's, 2xMC's and 2xST's. They've blipped a since, actually finished 4th in 2029 but soon returned to old ways and have now lost once in 40odd games (I'm in 2031). But they have had a new manager since that mad run, the old one probably got bored....of winning!

Well, like it or not, that is just the way it is. There are no plans for another patch that any of us are aware of, and development has moved on to FM15. You've had your say about it, and been answered, so as HUNT3R said, enough is enough.

I agree, FM 14 errors had to be resolved in FM 14!

It is absurd, just happened to me that the penalty bug that is converted into 3D but is not marked in the game ...

The match engine has clear deficiencies that we all have reported, where's the hot fix? Work had to continue, we are still in 2014, long before leaving a patch, what a shame!

- Crossings going straight to the goal, the so-called "almost unintentionally goals"

- Chutes-to-one attackers lose ridiculously

- Many balls in the back of the defense

- Is virtually impossible to score a corner now

Bug fix, hot fix anything is fundamental!

Guest El Payaso

This is a rant, yes but I'm really had it with this game. The crossing thing is just horror. Had a FA Cup game against Chelsea and was beaten 1-5 at home, might have been an expected result. But the way that we lose is just awful. Every single cross is like a heated missile and seeing Hazard, Mata and Son Heung-Min dominate your defenders and getting to the end of every cross is just stupid. 2 goals from corners (Chelsea had like 12 corners and in almost every one it was their player who got to the ball to head it, no poor deliveries or defending players getting to the first ball. Just like it always seems to be when big team faces small team). Crosses just simply are too dangerous in the game, the quality is far too good and even a group of defenders aren't able to deal with them and midget-sized attacking players are far better at getting to the end of them.

Well, like it or not, that is just the way it is. There are no plans for another patch that any of us are aware of, and development has moved on to FM15. You've had your say about it, and been answered, so as HUNT3R said, enough is enough.

If now SI leaves game with bugs after patch 14.3, what players can expect from FM15? What is caused by SI policy that you can not improve the observed errors?

Is the SI will give money to players if for FM15 errors will occur as in the current version?

I agree, FM 14 errors had to be resolved in FM 14!

It is absurd, just happened to me that the penalty bug that is converted into 3D but is not marked in the game ...

The match engine has clear deficiencies that we all have reported, where's the hot fix? Work had to continue, we are still in 2014, long before leaving a patch, what a shame!

- Crossings going straight to the goal, the so-called "almost unintentionally goals"

- Chutes-to-one attackers lose ridiculously

- Many balls in the back of the defense

- Is virtually impossible to score a corner now

Bug fix, hot fix anything is fundamental!

No idea what you're talking about. My default corner saw my defenders score over 25 goals between the 4 of them. The highest was 11.

This is a rant, yes but I'm really had it with this game. The crossing thing is just horror. Had a FA Cup game against Chelsea and was beaten 1-5 at home, might have been an expected result. But the way that we lose is just awful. Every single cross is like a heated missile and seeing Hazard, Mata and Son Heung-Min dominate your defenders and getting to the end of every cross is just stupid. 2 goals from corners (Chelsea had like 12 corners and in almost every one it was their player who got to the ball to head it, no poor deliveries or defending players getting to the first ball. Just like it always seems to be when big team faces small team). Crosses just simply are too dangerous in the game, the quality is far too good and even a group of defenders aren't able to deal with them and midget-sized attacking players are far better at getting to the end of them.

Think their main goal for the patch 14.3 is so Moyes who can't win games in reality with his tactics can win games virtually.

Crosses are beyond broken this game. I would have expect so much better from the match engine after so many freaking years in the business. I don't understand how such things can be given a pass.