Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Set pieces are a joke on this update. Corners on FM14 have always been broken and they are no better on this one. Corners are like short corners in hockey, a direct chance to score. It's not uncommon on the game for 5 or more goals to be scored from corners in one game. Just stop messing about and turn them down.

Direct free kicks also have a ridiculously high chance of going in and where do we begin on penalties? 24-23 on shootouts anyone? Impossible to miss, the only chance of one ever not going in is if it happens to hit the keeper. One in about 30 isn't scored. In real life I believe it's about 1 in 4 for penalties in matches and 1 in 3 during shootouts?

Aside from the penalties thats a load of rubbish tbh unless you want to prove it with some evidence.

I've had two saves so far spanning over ten seasons and I'm seeing nothing like what you describe from corners & freekicks.

Where do we begin on penalties? 24-23 on shootouts anyone? Impossible to miss, the only chance of one ever not going in is if it happens to hit the keeper. One in about 30 isn't scored. In real life I believe it's about 1 in 4 for penalties in matches and 1 in 3 during shootouts?

I have seen some high shootout scores, but I had a cup final which went to penalties a few days ago, that I won 5-4, with three of the last four penalties taken missed.

Is there some kind of recognized issue with full backs positioning which makes them not properly pick up runs outside of them? Everyone I play as a Winger (attack) seems to turn into a goal machine. Two of my top scorers are my first choice right winger and his backup. Gave the 3rd or 4th choice a game in a cup tie against a rival team and he got a brace whilst missing another 3 or 4 good chances. Most goals are the same run outside the slow reacting full back who is a step too high with the centre halves just about playing the winger onside.

Is there some kind of recognized issue with full backs positioning which makes them not properly pick up runs outside of them? Everyone I play as a Winger (attack) seems to turn into a goal machine. Two of my top scorers are my first choice right winger and his backup. Gave the 3rd or 4th choice a game in a cup tie against a rival team and he got a brace whilst missing another 3 or 4 good chances. Most goals are the same run outside the slow reacting full back who is a step too high with the centre halves just about playing the winger onside.

The way I see it, the full backs take a step or three towards the ball carrier (winger) and then the winger accelerates and he trails behind. This can be "fixed" by playing wider, so that when the full back make those steps he is right in front of the winger and the space is no longer there.

This creates other problems, though...

I have no idea why the full backs do that, but I get it against me and use it to my advantage the other way as well. Everyone knows that when the full back does not have a teammate providing safety/backup in the space he leaves behind when closing down, he must hold his ground. This has been a defensive problem in FM for as long as I can remember.

My scouts have just stopped doing scout reports.

It now comes up in the news item with N/A, and when you click on a scout report then nothing comes up, it just has the text as if they have never been scouted, but they do have a star rating, any ideas?

XtFKtPC.jpg

I too have this issue! at first I thought it might be due to using the editor but it seems to happen when I minimise and use the internet. If I restart the game it returns to normal, and funny enough out of the blue the odd scout report will come through ok.... strange

The way I see it, the full backs take a step or three towards the ball carrier (winger) and then the winger accelerates and he trails behind. This can be "fixed" by playing wider, so that when the full back make those steps he is right in front of the winger and the space is no longer there.

This creates other problems, though...

I have no idea why the full backs do that, but I get it against me and use it to my advantage the other way as well. Everyone knows that when the full back does not have a teammate providing safety/backup in the space he leaves behind when closing down, he must hold his ground. This has been a defensive problem in FM for as long as I can remember.

Well my own tactics don't seem to let the AI get too much joy from this, probably because I have enough cover. It's more the fact, as I alluded to, that the W(a) role seems to be a guaranteed source of goals for my own team no matter who I play there. But I haven't played a lot of games yet so maybe it'll even out a bit.

Another thing I seem to notice is that near post crosses are also absolutely deadly since 14.3. So using wingers on attack seems almost like a cheating tactic with all the goals and assists they're getting.

I am going to assume this has been addressed elsewhere, but nevertheless...

I'm often reaching the voicemail of my international players, which is bad enough, but I'm getting it from my own player. Except of course when I contact him in a club capacity. It just doesn't make sense.

For the first time since just before New Years I decided to watch a match in 3D, just to see if graphical representation had been improved at all...

... 53 minutes into a game and I had to watch Danny Welbeck try to take the ball around his marker in the area, only for it to be deflected to his feet to try again not once, twice, but fourteen times in the same sequence. Perhaps advanced an inch or two per movement.

Back to 2D it is!

... 53 minutes into a game and I had to watch Danny Welbeck try to take the ball around his marker in the area, only for it to be deflected to his feet to try again not once, twice, but fourteen times in the same sequence. Perhaps advanced an inch or two per movement.

Back to 2D it is!

That would also have shown on 2D you know.

Quick question as I don't know where else to put it :

Are transfer budgets easier to get in FMC? Reason I ask is that in the full game I have had no budget with West Ham for two seasons, zilch!!! Tried a look at FMC, went to Chairman, asked for extra funds expecting to hear the usual "sorry son no chance" and was quite shocked to be handed 10 million!!

Quick question as I don't know where else to put it :

Are transfer budgets easier to get in FMC? Reason I ask is that in the full game I have had no budget with West Ham for two seasons, zilch!!! Tried a look at FMC, went to Chairman, asked for extra funds expecting to hear the usual "sorry son no chance" and was quite shocked to be handed 10 million!!

They shouldn't be, but keep in mind that had you started a new save in regular FM with West Ham, it's possible that you would have gotten the money. There is that random element thrown in which makes each game a bit different.

They shouldn't be, but keep in mind that had you started a new save in regular FM with West Ham, it's possible that you would have gotten the money. There is that random element thrown in which makes each game a bit different.

Might be reputation related. In FM proper, his initial reputation might not be enough for the chairman to trust him with a transfer budget when the club has limited funds. That would be turned off in FMC.

Might be reputation related. In FM proper, his initial reputation might not be enough for the chairman to trust him with a transfer budget when the club has limited funds. That would be turned off in FMC.

Ahh, that's good to know! Thanks.

Ah that's a fair point thanks. I had started new games since patch on both and started both as automatic reputation so I guess that may not have such an effect in FMC..

There seriously needs to be another patch because the current patch is still frustrating as hell and totally unrealistic.

Full backs played like a fool every game by wingers who are of lesser caliber. It's as though it's not possible to tell them to stay in front of the wingers.

Crosses are easily exploited. Especially drilled crosses.

Corners, Free-kicks leading to goal is seriously high, even for my own team. (And I have not even touched anything related to set piece). It's like my Defenders scores more goals than my wingers.

Corners smashing against the cross bar. Seriously, how often does this happen in reality? Smashing it against the cross bar and then it deflects out for a Throw-In. It's almost defying physics.

Goalkeepers are AWFUL. Kicking balls straight to the opponent for no particular reason. (And I'm playing Real Madrid with Casillas.)

Long range goals almost never happen.

CCC is pain in the ass. It's frustrating to watch, even more frustrating when to read "Even the manager is shaking his head", "That's enough to destroy one's self belief". The amount of chances a world class striker can blow is just amazing. Even 2 yards in front of goal the keeper will be blocking, blocking, blocking and finally "It's a goal kick".

If nothing is done it'll be seriously disappointing.

Won't comment on any of the others, as I'm not really seeing too many occurrences of them, but had to comment on this...

Corners smashing against the cross bar. Seriously, how often does this happen in reality? Smashing it against the cross bar and then it deflects out for a Throw-In. It's almost defying physics.

If a corner swings in and hits the bar, given it's already going to be moving pretty horizontal, where else would it go rather than out for a throw-in? It's hardly "defying physics".

Plus, as has been said many times, if there is an update (which is already very unlikely) it's almost certain that it wouldn't touch the ME.

Won't comment on any of the others, as I'm not really seeing too many occurrences of them, but had to comment on this...

If a corner swings in and hits the bar, given it's already going to be moving pretty horizontal, where else would it go rather than out for a throw-in? It's hardly "defying physics".

Plus, as has been said many times, if there is an update (which is already very unlikely) it's almost certain that it wouldn't touch the ME.

Smashing it against the crossbar is fine. Smashing it and flying immediately for a freaking throw-in on the other side of the field? Take note, NO ONE touches the ball. How hard did my corner taker hit his corner kick? And how many times have that actually happened IRL? One more thing is, sometimes the throw-in isn't even close to the corner flag, but a couple of yards further from it.

I know an update will be unlikely, which is why this is so disappointing. There are so many flaws still in the ME that it is utterly embarrassing.

Smashing it against the crossbar is fine. Smashing it and flying immediately for a freaking throw-in on the other side of the field? Take note, NO ONE touches the ball. How hard did my corner taker hit his corner kick? And how many times have that actually happened IRL? One more thing is, sometimes the throw-in isn't even close to the corner flag, but a couple of yards further from it.

I know an update will be unlikely, which is why this is so disappointing. There are so many flaws still in the ME that it is utterly embarrassing.

I was going to draw you a helpful diagram, but SFV said it much better. I'd say defying the laws of physics in the way you seem to be suggesting would push the ME towards embarrassing rather than something perfectly plausible happening a little too frequently.

I too have this issue! at first I thought it might be due to using the editor but it seems to happen when I minimise and use the internet. If I restart the game it returns to normal, and funny enough out of the blue the odd scout report will come through ok.... strange

Restarting the game also fixed it for me, very odd

Goalkeepers are AWFUL. Kicking balls straight to the opponent for no particular reason. (And I'm playing Real Madrid with Casillas.)

This. I thought it was just Clark Masters who couldn't kick a habit, but I've signed a better keeper (on paper) and the same thing is happening. I've lost count of the number of times he has presented the AI with a golden opportunity to score. Thankfully they rarely take full advantage of it due to the poor ratio of one-on-ones that are converted, but still...

We all know that there won't be an ME update, which is disappointing - not because the ME is broken, but because it is so close to being a fantastic simulation. Oh well.

This. I thought it was just Clark Masters who couldn't kick a habit, but I've signed a better keeper (on paper) and the same thing is happening. I've lost count of the number of times he has presented the AI with a golden opportunity to score.

This is something that has needed sorting out for several versions. I hope by 15 it's fixed. For now, what I do to stop that is set GK passing to short, set through balls to rarely, and use defender collect instruction. If he is still passing it up the middle stupidly, then I specify a particular fullback to use as an out. This has eliminated 95% of the idiocy for me, though I wish I didn't have to do this at all.

Well my own tactics don't seem to let the AI get too much joy from this, probably because I have enough cover.

What to do to tactically to provide cover if you play a standard back four? What counts as sufficient cover to stop fullbacks from doing that?

It reminds me of needing to play a DM in order to stop CBs pushing forward and closing down the opponent way too early and carelessly, regardless of instructions.

Least enjoyable FM to date. Still.

I cannot get a result against any of the big teams - even when i objectively play better/create more chances/go one up/sit back and defend/play attacking. One of my usually excellent defenders will just have an uncharacteristic nightmare and pass it to their player or something equally unrealistic.

Games against Man Utd, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool are a write off.

14.3 ME feedback

having played a full season with mostly comprehensive highlights:

Players seem unable to shoot very effectively. I have players who are great finishes, and have all required attrbiutes for a striker yet they often shoot a long way high and wide of the goal. There are 1v1 opportuntities that result in no goal most of the time. Unless the player goes around the GK then the chance of a goal is slim.

There is little benefit from corners that i can see. The box is too packed even with only 3 players in the box and players are 'less reactive' and seem to require a first touch to be able to strike the ball into the goal.

There is not much correlation between a CCC and the scoreline. I can have 5 CCC vs 0 for the opposition and i will lose 1-0. In fact, if my striker scores i will be suprised.

Please patch the dodgy shooting! (or insanely good Goalkeeping)

Guest El Payaso

Biggest defensive problems I'm having with this current version are these two:

1. Full-backs being skinned. They just seem to be unable to block crosses even when they are actually faster than the wingers who are dribbling. This happens both against and for me: most of the goalscoring chances come from crosses when the wingers decide that it's time to make things happen.

2. Defensive line dealing with crosses. For me it seems that attacking players get to the end of most of the crosses and even when defenders finally deal with the cross, the clearances are usually poor: either straight to opposition's player at the edge of penalty area or cleared for corner.

It just isn't fun watching players like Jack Barmby and Jordan Graham dominate inside the penalty area and getting at the end of most of the crosses and at our own end aerially quite decent defenders basically never dealing with those floated or drilled balls. Also my keeper should be dominant aerially but the only crosses he claims are the ones that are hit straight at him.

I'm starting to get annoyed by the fact that there will be no more patches. The following are just making me cry out for a fix:

1. No mention of substitutions from the AI if done at half time. This was working before and I can also remember seeing this in FM.

2. Dribbling is useless in the game. 14.0 to 14.3 I've never seen any fancy dribbling. Happens to AI and my team. Players like Messi or Suarez can't win a dribble to save their skin.

3. Tackles are ridiculously shown in the 3D view. Tackle, player falls down like he was blown away. And almost 90% of times it is a sliding tackle and most are from behind. Every player looks like a professional diver.

That's some what I could remember. I really do hope that SI take a look again. I believe they have a excellent community relationship. Do take this into consideration please!

Guest El Payaso

2. Dribbling is useless in the game. 14.0 to 14.3 I've never seen any fancy dribbling. Happens to AI and my team. Players like Messi or Suarez can't win a dribble to save their skin.

Dribbling is useless... quite the opposite: dribbling is the main attacking tool in the game and decent wingers create about 5 good chances every game through their ability to dribble. It's more like overpowering than useless.

Took me a few seasons to get into this since the 14.3 patch but I have to say on the most part I am happy with it.

First couple of seasons with Liverpool I struggled. Stuck with it as I was convinced my tactic would work when I had the right players. 4th season won both English cups and got beat in the Champions League final. 5 season, won the league by a country mile. 6th season I have started pretty well.

With regards to the match engine it does have its faults and there are some really stupid mistakes made by players but you also see some fantastic football played. Never going to be perfect, after all it is a game.

Took me a few seasons to get into this since the 14.3 patch but I have to say on the most part I am happy with it.

First couple of seasons with Liverpool I struggled. Stuck with it as I was convinced my tactic would work when I had the right players. 4th season won both English cups and got beat in the Champions League final. 5 season, won the league by a country mile. 6th season I have started pretty well.

With regards to the match engine it does have its faults and there are some really stupid mistakes made by players but you also see some fantastic football played. Never going to be perfect, after all it is a game.

Glad you stuck with it Steve and it is working out well.

Not really a bug but I've never seen this before in previous versions....I have the Brazilian league loaded on my save, though I'm not playing in it nor have I ever, Corinthians (AI controlled) went 182 league games undefeated from seasons 2023-2028, winning 59 league games in row in the middle of that as their longest winning sequence.

In season 2024 they played 38, won 38, goals for 149 (that's average of 3.92 goals per game!), goals against 5, Points 114. :(

I'd never even noticed if I wasn't subscribed to that league and kept getting the "Corinthians break new record [insert record of choice :D ]" again and again and again.

Is that possible or right??

Playing down in the Skrill league two problems are instantly apparent.

1 : I cant arrange friendly matches for my reserves so I cant get anyone match fit.

2 : Players are very panicky when clearing the ball frequently putting it out for a corner when they had enough time to at-least turn and put it out for a throw in.

I'm not really a fan of the new "Goalkeepers now accept bungs" feature that's been added.

It's a one-off, of course, and I post it more for amusement than criticism, but for once I'm pretty sure this one isn't my tactics. ;)

Not really a bug but I've never seen this before in previous versions....I have the Brazilian league loaded on my save, though I'm not playing in it nor have I ever, Corinthians (AI controlled) went 182 league games undefeated from seasons 2023-2028, winning 59 league games in row in the middle of that as their longest winning sequence.

In season 2024 they played 38, won 38, goals for 149 (that's average of 3.92 goals per game!), goals against 5, Points 114. :(

I'd never even noticed if I wasn't subscribed to that league and kept getting the "Corinthians break new record [insert record of choice :D ]" again and again and again.

Is that possible or right??

Omg, what tactic they were using? It's very hard to get this record in Brazilian league, all the teams are very similar technically speaking.

Archived