Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

I say this because I felt that woods in Fm12 were as close to spot-on as possible in my experience. I dont feel that here, it feels way too high.

Can you tell me where I can find these stats that this is all being programmed from?

SI run in-house tests over multiple leagues for multiple seasons to assess how FM14 stats look in comparison to "real life".

Tony Fallows is one of the leading ME guys at SI, and he was referring to those tests in the quote of his I used - which he made earlier in this very thread.

Unfortunately running soak tests, while important, doesn't really reflect how the game is played (apart from by weirdos like Ackter).

I'm sure a soak test will come up with the correct number of woodwork hits, but it won't tell you that so many of them are ridiculous mishit crosses. Not that soak tests aren't vital, but saying "SI's tests show the amount of bar hits to be correct" doesn't really cover the issue I'm sure quite a few people are having.

I probably see one bar/post hit per game, which is right on the correct figures, but it's almost always a mishit cross which leaves the 'keeper diving into thin air.

EDIT - Should add, if you see an unusual occurrence say once a match (or close to), it probably seems like it's happening a lot more than it is.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough.

I think I'll side with the data run over more than 25 matches, in more than one league :thup:

Yep, woodwork hits in real life occur roughly 0.7 times per match. Currently we're seeing them in FM 0.82 times per match, though we're aware that a fair few of these come from over-hit crosses, the numbers themselves are not far off.

Unfortunately running soak tests, while important, doesn't really reflect how the game is played (apart from by weirdos like Ackter).

I'm sure a soak test will come up with the correct number of woodwork hits, but it won't tell you that so many of them are ridiculous mishit crosses. Not that soak tests aren't vital, but saying "SI's tests show the amount of bar hits to be correct" doesn't really cover the issue I'm sure quite a few people are having.

I probably see one bar/post hit per game, which is right on the correct figures, but it's almost always a mishit cross which leaves the 'keeper diving into thin air.

EDIT - Should add, if you see an unusual occurrence say once a match (or close to), it probably seems like it's happening a lot more than it is.

You're arguing with yourself with that one though. The original post was complaining that the woodwork was being hit too much, and soak tests prove that, on average, that's not true. It doesn't begin to determine anything about what happened when the wood was hit, and they've never claimed it does. It's another argument really.

EXACTLY!! Well put

I bet these soak tests basically involve holidaying through 30-odd seasons > comparing the FM stats to real life > "....... errrrr thats about right...release it". What CityAndColour is saying is spot on. I wonder how much testing involves looking at the effect of these stats in the ME itself and whether it looks realistic. Im not going to have it from any Mod or member of the testing team! I have been watching football for 25yrs and what Im seeing in regards to the amount of woods per game is not right!

However I do need to backup on the long shots thing. Again i looked at the analysis for the types of goals. 25 games, 87 goals scored overall by both me and the AI, 13 of them from outside the area. 0.149 per game which probably is about right.

One last thing: yes 25 games isn't a lot, but the averages shoudlnt be that much different compared to 250 matches or 2500. Yes the less games played the more inaccurate, but not by a lot. 28 wood in 25 games. Poor form

dont know if anyone has put this (honestly haven't got time to read 16 pages, i've done a quick search and not found anything) my centre backs rating seem much lower in this patch, the best examples of why I think there wrong are in my current save i've just looked back over a few games and in a game where my arsenal team beat man city 2-1 my cb ratings were both 6.9, when I look at the stats i'd say they desereve a higher rating but i'd accept this if ratings were the same all the time as in my next game we beat Stuttgart 7-1 my cb's get and 8.6 and 8.1, i look at the stats they've done much less then in the man city, just because the strikers scored more why should there ratings be higher in this game than when they did much better in the man city game and finally the next game we played west ham with 10 minutes left the cb's are 6.8 and 6.7, we score and both cb's jump upto 7.2 and 7.0, 2 minutes later we concede, a corner is headed away (by a centre midfielder) matt jarvis smashes it on the volley from 25 yards and my cb's drop to 6.5 and 6.6, now I dont understand why their ratings drop when they weren't at fault for the goal, now I dont know what happened before the corner but they surely they couldn't both be at fault for conceding a corner

If I could try and compare to real life last night with the man city game if that was played on fm kompany would have probably been on about 6.9 until he scored his 2 yard tap-in then this rating will have jumped to about 8.2, although kompany's performace was far better than a 6.9 (dont shoot me down for the last example - just trying to give a real life example as if it was a fm game - if I dont make much sense sorry:) )

EXACTLY!! Well put

I bet these soak tests basically involve holidaying through 30-odd seasons > comparing the FM stats to real life > "....... errrrr thats about right...release it". What CityAndColour is saying is spot on. I wonder how much testing involves looking at the effect of these stats in the ME itself and whether it looks realistic. Im not going to have it from any Mod or member of the testing team! I have been watching football for 25yrs and what Im seeing in regards to the amount of woods per game is not right!

However I do need to backup on the long shots thing. Again i looked at the analysis for the types of goals. 25 games, 87 goals scored overall by both me and the AI, 13 of them from outside the area. 0.149 per game which probably is about right.

One last thing: yes 25 games isn't a lot, but the averages shoudlnt be that much different compared to 250 matches or 2500. Yes the less games played the more inaccurate, but not by a lot. 28 wood in 25 games. Poor form

they've said woodwork is slightly higher than real life, what needs looking at is how the ball hits the woodwork and they've already said they're aware that a fair few come from overhit crosses.

they've said woodwork is slightly higher than real life, what needs looking at is how the ball hits the woodwork and they've already said they're aware that a fair few come from overhit crosses.

So why are they saying that no more patches/fixes will be released then?

So why are they saying that no more patches/fixes will be released then?

This will most likely be looked at when making improvements to the ME for FM15.

What like too many woods per game that loads of people are complaining about, and that ruins the realism of the ME?

What like too many woods per game that loads of people are complaining about, and that ruins the realism of the ME?

Yeah, that 0.12 a game makes all the difference.

If there's a bug preventing people from starting up FM, that would be game-breaking and we'll most likely see a patch for that. Other than that, we're not going to get another update/patch.

theyve said its slightly higher but not massively, why would they mess around with it at such a small decrepency. and i havent seen loads of people complaining about it.

quoted from tony fallows

Yep, woodwork hits in real life occur roughly 0.7 times per match. Currently we're seeing them in FM 0.82 times per match, though we're aware that a fair few of these come from over-hit crosses, the numbers themselves are not far off.

I'll remind everyone that this thread is for feedback for update 14.3

Any insulting comments, sniping and mindless rants will be deleted and if you persist, we will infract you.

There are House Rules to be followed : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370304-Not-Reading-or-Following-House-Rules?p=9157726#post9157726

Please continue with the discussion, but be constructive if you're going to criticise the game.

0.12 of a difference ruins realism?

Wow.

0.12 of a difference ruins realism?

Wow.

Where are you getting this "0.12" discrepancy from? Goob didn't say his rate of wood was 0.82 per game - he said it was 1.12 per match, which is too often however you cut the data.

I've carried out my own analysis over 28 competitive games, and I have seen the woodwork struck a total of 18 times over those 28 games, which although still sounds extremely high, it's only 0.64 per game, which is the kind of number that Tony Fallows alluded to. However, what does concern me a little is the amount of times we have struck the woodwork compared to the AI. 12 for me, 7 for the AI - almost double.

Now, before you pigeon-hole me as a bad loser or a conspiracy nut, nothing could be further from the truth (well, I do like the odd conspiracy theory I must admit). I am currently top of the Skrill South with Tonbridge Angels (a team tipped for a relegation battle) and I am absolutely carving teams open at will. 4-0, 4-1, 5-0 are my last three results. So no, I am not a bad loser - I would wager I am one of the finest FM players around.

With regards to goals from distance, I have seen very, very few. I only recall scoring one from outside the box (a 20-yarder from the multi-talented Qudus Bolaji), and I have conceded maybe two or three from a similar range. I will keep an eye out for goals from long range in future.

It's a good game but it could do with another patch to iron out the remaining issues.

However, what does concern me a little is the amount of times we have struck the woodwork compared to the AI. 12 for me, 7 for the AI - almost double.

............... I am currently top of the Skrill South with Tonbridge Angels (a team tipped for a relegation battle) and I am absolutely carving teams open at will.

Don't you think this is the reason you're hitting the woodwork more? You're top of the league, so most likely you're having more possession, more shots and more crosses. So you have a lot more opportunity to hit the woodwork than the AI.

Don't you think this is the reason you're hitting the woodwork more? You're top of the league, so most likely you're having more possession, more shots and more crosses. So you have a lot more opportunity to hit the woodwork than the AI.

I actually did mean to add that to the end of my post. I was going to suggest that perhaps that is the reason why my team hits the woodwork more often than the AI. It would need a shots-to-woodwork comparison as well, which I don't have time to do at the moment.

Just because I am beating teams out of sight, that doesn't automatically mean that is the reason for the difference in our affinity for posts and bars. I do think the amount of chances created by both teams is incredibly high, but that is another post. But I see your point.

That's actually an area of the ME that I find much improved with the latest patch.

Ozil has the pass instead of shoot PPM and he has never attempted a cutback in my save on numerous instances where we would have scored, preferring to shoot from stupid angles instead.

Frustrating.

This patch really improves the game, but I think it's really poor that this is the last one we'll get. FM15 is 7 months away, and it's sad that SI can't release any patches to iron out the ME in that time. I guess it doesn't matter though because we are sheep who will keep on buying the product no matter how much we get shafted :)

Some things I'd like to see improved:

i) Shot selection is still quite poor, wish my players would pass more rather than shooting stupidly. Ozil has 19 teamwork and Creativity and yet shoots from the most ridiculous angles in the box when a cutback or pass would guarantee a goal

ii) Finishing from 1v1 situations... still poor. Players hitting the ball straight at the keeper everytime is frustrating to watch.

iii) I yearn for the day where I score a nice goal from outside the box.

iv) There seems to be an issue with buying players from Brazil for decent-sized teams (like Everton). My mate says he scouts the players, the scout says they would be receptive to a move, He makes a bid and the player's agent refuses to even negotiate.

This patch really improves the game, but I think it's really poor that this is the last one we'll get. FM15 is 7 months away, and it's sad that SI can't release any patches to iron out the ME in that time. I guess it doesn't matter though because we are sheep who will keep on buying the product no matter how much we get shafted :)

You're not getting "shafted". This is always how it has worked. If they were to continue to work on FM14, they wouldn't be working on FM15, and that would suffer as a result. I can imagine what the reception would be then. Damned if you do etc.

Anyone had any luck with a Target Man by the way?

Target men are extremely effective weapons when used correctly. I can't remember any FM where they have worked so well tbh. And as I always play with a big fella up front, that suits me. If you're playing in the dumps like me, sign Michael Cheek. He's a beast.

There does need to be a balance though. Eg without any specific instructions, they should do each of the available options a reasonable number of times...and if there's specific instruction towards doing something in particular that should be weighted more

At the moment it feels like they're still doing the opposite...wingers and full backs shoot from really silly angles and nearly always flies over the near post

You're not getting "shafted". This is always how it has worked. If they were to continue to work on FM14, they wouldn't be working on FM15, and that would suffer as a result. I can imagine what the reception would be then. Damned if you do etc.

It's the same ME isn't it? Work on the ME, keep making it better update it on FM14 and release it in FM15. I'll always buy the game for the 100s of other new features so saying (as someone suggested) that continuously updating the ME for paying customers is a "bad business model" is just untrue.

Disregarding the whining and entitlement mentality out of some demands of a continued roll-out of updates until the new iteration of a game is out, this isn't actually that uncommon or unviable. As long as development of FM is producing stable builds of the ME between now and the new FM, I would draw a line between the need of fixing things that will only help the current FM and fixing things that are perspectively for the new FM, but can be rolled out to current versions. So there's no need to continue working on things of a finished production cycle, FM is built quite modular. Mind, I mean fixes or improvements that aren't in the "feature for the new game" department, rather the ones that don't warrant a patch but are actually already fixed while you are waiting for FM15 - I also don't mean something like an on-going subscription, there'd still be more than enough distinction between iterations. Penalty conversion rates spring to mind, you'd hardly buy FM15 just to have those correct, but knowing that the next stable ME build will be rolled out if it is ready (RE: the frequently - and rightfully - mentioned knock-on effects) would add nice value to a game series.

Anyone having big problems with fixture dates this year? I am in the BPL and I get 3 games in 4-5 day's very regularly. My team has low condition after the first game :/

You're arguing with yourself with that one though. The original post was complaining that the woodwork was being hit too much, and soak tests prove that, on average, that's not true. It doesn't begin to determine anything about what happened when the wood was hit, and they've never claimed it does. It's another argument really.

Who am I arguing with? I'm saying that it probably seems higher than it actually is because of the manner in which it happens. If you see something abnormal once a match and you see something normal once a match, what do you think will stick in your memory?

Target men are extremely effective weapons when used correctly. I can't remember any FM where they have worked so well tbh. And as I always play with a big fella up front, that suits me. If you're playing in the dumps like me, sign Michael Cheek. He's a beast.

May I ask how you play him? I've got Carroll, Downing, Jarvis and Nolan and can't hit a cows backside with a banjo!!

May I ask how you play him? I've got Carroll, Downing, Jarvis and Nolan and can't hit a cows backside with a banjo!![/quote

I also use a target man, Cardozo got me well over a goal a game in my Benfica seasons, and Lukaku isn't far off now I'm at Liverpool. I play 4231 with 2 inside forwards and it seems to do the business.

On another note, not that I've read it all, I haven't seen anyone mention missed headers leading to one on ones, as I'm finding this to be my biggest issue with the match engine. I have world class defenders and they're seem to completely misjudge the flight of the ball far too often. Still think overall the patch has been a big improvement though.

What's the official reason for no more patches?

We are paying customers and if the game needs to be fixed then it should be fixed simple as!!

We've had 3 major updates, as has been the case with every FM edition for a long time now. A line has to be drawn somewhere to start focusing on FM15.

I apologize but I do not get your logic about a top team who have most of the possession, more crosses and shots will automatically hit woodwork at a ridiculous average of time, it does not make sense if we compare what happen to real life. In the case of Liverpool in 2012/2013 they hit the woodwork 33 times in 38 matches in a league (an average of 0.83/ game) and they were not even a top 4 team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1656665-liverpool-why-do-the-reds-hit-the-woodwork-so-often

I think it is just a pure luck and it has nothing to do with how dominating a certain team in a league. I do not remember Man Utd team under Ferguson hit the woodwork so much, even the Real Madrid team under Mourinho who broke goalscoring record 2/3 season ago.

Yes this is not a deal breaker bug but it is a glaring bug and I have already posted in the feedback forum before for 14.2.2 patch where I average more than 1.2 woodwork per game just for my team and it does not seem much difference with this latest patch, maybe a little less.

It seems like the ME logic dictates that the more dominating your team is the more woodwork you will hit, correct me if I am wrong. If it is right then the logic is flawed.

Now you mention that soak test indicates that the woodwork average is just slightly higher than real life, may I know how is the soak test done?

I apologize but I do not get your logic about a top team who have most of the possession, more crosses and shots will automatically hit woodwork at a ridiculous average of time, it does not make sense if we compare what happen to real life. In the case of Liverpool in 2012/2013 they hit the woodwork 33 times in 38 matches in a league (an average of 0.83/ game) and they were not even a top 4 team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1656665-liverpool-why-do-the-reds-hit-the-woodwork-so-often

I think it is just a pure luck and it has nothing to do with how dominating a certain team in a league. I do not remember Man Utd team under Ferguson hit the woodwork so much, even the Real Madrid team under Mourinho who broke goalscoring record 2/3 season ago.

Yes this is not a deal breaker bug but it is a glaring bug and I have already posted in the feedback forum before for 14.2.2 patch where I average more than 1.2 woodwork per game just for my team and it does not seem much difference with this latest patch, maybe a little less.

It seems like the ME logic dictates that the more dominating your team is the more woodwork you will hit, correct me if I am wrong. If it is right then the logic is flawed.

Now you mention that soak test indicates that the woodwork average is just slightly higher than real life, may I know who is the soak test done?

I did make a general assumption that because he's top, he'd have more possession, shots and crosses. Golden Boot didn't correct me, so I assume that was right.

I said that is why he hits the woodwork MORE than via AI, naturally because he has more of the ball.

It's hardly ridiculous, because his woodwork hits per game was 0.64 which is lower than real life.

Can't answer the last part as it wasn't me who mentioned it.

I did make a general assumption that because he's top, he'd have more possession, shots and crosses. Golden Boot didn't correct me, so I assume that was right.

I said that is why he hits the woodwork MORE than via AI, naturally because he has more of the ball.

It's hardly ridiculous, because his woodwork hits per game was 0.64 which is lower than real life.

Can't answer the last part as it wasn't me who mentioned it.

Yeah 0.64 is low, I accept that. But again having more woodwork because a team have more ball than other teams is not logical like Liverpool example and they were hardly dominating, it is down to luck! For EPL this year I do not remember Liverpool hitting as much woodwork as before so again it is LUCK and they actually perform better this year. In conclusion woodwork hit has nothing to do with how dominating a team is. More dominating does not mean more woodwork and vice versa!

Look I do not mean to shoot you down or anything like that, this is a feedback thread and I believe a constructive debate is required.

Yeah 0.64 is low, I accept that. But again having more woodwork because a team have more ball than other teams is not logical like Liverpool example and they were hardly dominating, it is down to luck! For EPL this year I do not remember Liverpool hitting as much woodwork as before so again it is LUCK and they actually perform better this year. In conclusion woodwork hit has nothing to do with how dominating a team is. More dominating does not mean more woodwork and vice versa!

Look I do not mean to shoot you down or anything like that, this is a feedback thread and I believe a constructive debate is required.

I am sure there are a lot of factors involved. As I said, I made a general assumption as to me it is more about the shots/woodwork ratio.

Don't forget, 0.7 woodwork hits per hand is an average. So naturally some will have a higher ratio and some will have a lower one.

May I ask how you play him? I've got Carroll, Downing, Jarvis and Nolan and can't hit a cows backside with a banjo!![/quote

I also use a target man, Cardozo got me well over a goal a game in my Benfica seasons, and Lukaku isn't far off now I'm at Liverpool. I play 4231 with 2 inside forwards and it seems to do the business.

On another note, not that I've read it all, I haven't seen anyone mention missed headers leading to one on ones, as I'm finding this to be my biggest issue with the match engine. I have world class defenders and they're seem to completely misjudge the flight of the ball far too often. Still think overall the patch has been a big improvement though.

TM attack or support and with two CM's or DM's if you don't mind me asking?

I'm very disappointed that this is the last patch...

Far too many goals....Italian league as well..normally tighter...I'm seeing 3-6, 7-3, 4-4, 5-3,0-6 and 4 and 5 1s by the bucketload..

Still can't get over an 8-5 Europa League game I seen between Chelsea and Roma...

I have analysed one season of playing in the Italian League and have noticed the AI teams have more favourable conversion rates of ccc's

Teams scoring 4,5,6 regularly with maybe the same ccc's or sometimes even less...

I don't understand when I play these teams I can outpass, outplay and create far more scoring opportunities but my players can't seem to score...

Opposing manager press conference always picks out weak link in my team who never even plays in my 1st team or gets on my bench..

Too many red cards for two bookable offences after about 25 mins...I had one player sent off 3 times in his first few games of the season!

Crosses and corners that hit the crossbar or go straight out of play

Too many woodwork and offside goals seen..

Teams with money eg PSG, Chelsea buying too many players

If you have any quality players nearly all of them are wanted at end of season and you spend off-season rejecting bids galore..unrealistic..

Too many Reserve or youth players coming for a chat to get a loan move..

Too many rejected transfer bids followed by agents asking for improved contract...

Had one 5star PA where I got loads of loan offers which I keep rejecting but finally gave in and loaned him to Norwich where he didnt even get to play one match! Was a valuable first team member in the loan agreement..

Teams with greyed out players hard to beat...I beat Barcelona in Champions League and followed it up with two defeats to Amkar who had just 4 players with the rest being grey..

Morale drops too quickly and can go from superb to poor within a couple of matches..

Forward players shooting wild from distance when instructed not too or when players are in better positions for a cross..World class strikers with high finishing attributes..shoot from terrible angles when they could run on or take time and place shot..

Tactics with 100% fluidity doesn't seem t have any effect on performance..neither does buying better quality players

A 4star goalkeeper concedes just as much as 2 star one..

At least two or three players becoming jaded very early in the season..

Also a solid tactic which has done well eg going unbeaten for 20/30 games can suddenly fall apart..I had a 4-0 defeat thrust upon me out if nowhere..after that draws and defeats and the same players couldn't string a pass together..

Winning a trophy gets very little joy out of players or the board..all that effort and there is very little reward or sense of achievement...

"The board always expected to win x competition and wants celebrations kept to a minimum to focus on future"

I can't believe after all these years this phrase is still in!!

If you win a title when you were expected to achieve continental qualification..you are expected to win it the following season..unrealistic pressure..

Also noticed board annoyed if I have lost to a bigger teams.

Board also disappointed with high profile signings even though I'd spent about £120 million in two years..

Assistant manger team talk recommendations are terrible..I have lost to Barcelona, PSG etc with Ajax and the ass man tells me to make it crystal clear that losing these matches is unacceptable?!

Conceding goals from crosses seems v hard to cut out..

Players don't want to go on loan to feeder club..even if they are not getting any first team football or they are a youth prospect..

Head of Youth development makes insulting contract offers for young players i have had a bid accepted on..

Dominating possession and 20 shots with 6 ccc's isn't enough to get one goal...opponent needs just once chance...seen it countless times...

This was frustrating...

Napoli (me) just had 60% poss at home with 5 ccc's at Halftime...Genoa didnt have one shot...I lost 3-0 by Fulltime after I said I was happy with how they were playing...

I have analysed one season of playing in the Italian League and have noticed the AI teams have more favourable conversion rates of ccc's

Teams scoring 4,5,6 regularly with maybe the same ccc's or sometimes even less...

I don't understand when I play these teams I can outpass, outplay and create far more scoring opportunities but my players can't seem to score...

The AI do not get favourable anything.

Napoli (me) just had 60% poss at home with 5 ccc's at Halftime...Genoa didnt have one shot...I lost 3-0 by Fulltime after I said I was happy with how they were playing...

You were happy with how they were playing, despite them having many chances and not scoring, despite dominating possession?

I can vouch for this, 15 in 19 league game for Ricky Lambert as a supporting target man :cool:

(just dont tell MLG im doing a Southampton game)

I don't know if this would be the case in real life, but a player I signed from Brazil had already moved clubs in the current season (2021). I signed him in time for the 2021-2022 season in Europe and now he is banned from all competitions for a year. At the age of 22, that is a career-ruining move that would never happen in real life even if an European club actually did put in a bid not knowing the rules (or noticing/realizing the consequences). The player's agent would know, though, and the player would likely not want a global ban hanging over him instead of playing football where he is. Like other global bans or very long-term injuries, this is something that should result in a big, red, pulsating neon sign across the entire player profile of the scout report. He is in fact the worst signing possible!

I would presume that the Brazilian 2021 season and the European season ending in 2022 are two different years, just like when you start the game with the 2013/14 season you start in January 2013 which is in the middle of the 2012/13 season in Europe.

I bought the editor, but it seems like there is no way to fix this.

After 31 league games my Arsenal side have only got 11 yellow card's all season, and no red's. I've always had low amounts of yellow cards in most save's and over different versions of FM(maybe a managerial style?), but this must be an all time low for me.

Man Utd on the other hand are no1 with 72 yellow's, but after just beating them 2-0 and injuring two of my player's, Moyes says he's going to have word with his player's. Not sure if I believe him.

After 2 weeks still can't play with Finnish leagues. Is it possible to go back to 14.2.

I don't know if this would be the case in real life.....I bought the editor, but it seems like there is no way to fix this.

I had this yesterday, bloody annoying!

After 2 weeks still can't play with Finnish leagues. Is it possible to go back to 14.2.

What appears to be the issue with the Finnish leagues?

AI clubs cant seem to contract free players on amateur clubs , its been reported on finish and swedish leagues i believe

AI is unable to sign free Players. After couple of season all teams with tiny budgets or semipro status looks like youth teams. I easily win every game if I field senior players. Same problem in Sweden too especially in divisions under Swedish Premier League.