Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

You can make up statistics to prove anything, 87% of people know that. What would be useful is having a look at your save and getting the actual percentages, rather than sarcastically referring to them as 1/2% as you have a few times. Maybe it is that low, but without much evidence, there isn't going to be anything for devs to go on.

EDIT: Looked at my own save. I'm the leading side in the league for penalties (in March) with 6. I've scored 4. The league above, it's 3 from 4. And the one above that it's 6 from 8. That's just looking at three leagues, and the team that got the most penalties in those leagues. And it's already looking a wee shade more than 1%.

You are taking your one isolated season/few games and using that as the be all and end all of your basis.. madness.

three penalty shootouts: 34/33, 37/36, 35/34. That's enough evidence for me.

I'm glad to notice that defining what I say as "madness" is not insulting.

Again... that study is taking penalty shootouts in major tournaments only into account... I assume you aren't talking about actual pen shootouts no?

Either way... if you want to continue this discussion, I suggest you start your own thread specifically for this without the attitude and keeping it constructive.

We won't have anymore about it on here as it's already taken up pages.

Continue with it on here and we'll delete and infract as necessary.. which goes for anyone bringing it back up tbh.

"Those who chose to go first during the study scored 76.9 per cent of cent of penalties scored compared to 68.4 per cent success for those going second – the team going first winning 75 per cent of shoot outs."

"The truth of pressure telling is no more starkly revealed than in the staggering statistic that 81.2 per cent of those taking penalties that would win the shoot-out for their country scored while the figure for those needing to score to stay in the competition drops to just a 14.2 per cent success rate, the average success rate being 68.9 per cent."

But let's assume only 20% of penalties are missed, that is still 10 to 15 times than what FM14 shows.

You keep repeating this. That analysis is from knock-outs of major tournaments, which is not what you are comparing it with. IRL, league seasons average around 80-85%. In FM, it varies but is close to 90%. That means 10% missed instead of 20%, a difference of 2 times, not 10 to 15.

As also already said, there are slightly less than have the number of penalties awarded than there should be, so overall, there are very slightly too few penalty goals. Two wrongs making a right admittedly, but not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for the help, anyways.

If the Champions League is not a major tournament I stand corrected.

No point in opening a new thread as it will be deleted because I still don't get that it's the attitude and not the content that's the issue.

I deleted it first... then thought better of it, in the very last hope you would understand the point i'm trying to make.

three penalty shootouts: 34/33, 37/36, 35/34. That's enough evidence for me.

I'm glad to notice that defining what I say as "madness" is not insulting.

Luke, those three shootouts seem incredibly high. Can you please provide us with the PKMs from these matches so we can look into it? (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/365-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks)

Penalties are the new 'corners' it would appear. :p

Mako1986

What you're describing is a text book example of a tactical problem.

Honestly, the best advice you can get is jump on over to the tactics board and start a thread. Make sure you give them an break down of how your team is set up, what kind of chances are being created and what is happening with those chances.

We've all (well, most of us anyway) have been where you are now and the guys over at the tactics board are always happy to lend a hand.

What kind of chances? My wingers go alone by a trough ball and only have te finish alone in front of the keeper. It not really difficult because I have pretty good players. And still they alwasy miss.

The ME doesn't know which teams is which, so this explains very clearly that the problem is with the type of chance your tactic create (or selective memory, exaggeration, or implausibly bad luck).

It is all chances where my wingers or striker aro sent trough by a good ball and they only have to score. And that never happens. I gave it around 10 games and it just keeps happening. That is why I came here to ask if other people also have this.

Like i say,

best advice is to jump over to the tactics board and start a thread.

I'm not trying to dismiss whats happening, just that the guys on the tactics board are the guys you want to talk to on this.

- Close to 100% of the penalty shoot-out's in the game finish at least 5-4. It is extremely rare that more than 1 penalty is missed in the first 10.

- Most common results in the game from penalty shoot-out's are between 7-6 and 11-10.

- In the game IT IS NOT RARE AT ALL to see scores between 13-12 and 30-29. I see at least one at every cup round.

- The most I've seen so far was in the 30ies.

I am sorry, but this is completely broken too, not 'slightly off'. It may not bother majority too much, but it definitely can be game breaker for many FM lovers.

But I understand why SI only cares about the majority - it is a business. They are providing the demo, and also updating the demo after the patch, so it is up to the customers to try the demo first, and if you don't like it, then don't buy it. I personally stopped buying the game before the patches the last few years, and I buy it at the end only if I feel like I can enjoy the game after patches.

The FM14 ME looked great to me the first few matches, but as soon as I discovered the major flaws (and some minor but extremely annoying flaws, like the penalties), I know that there is no way I can enjoy it. It is a great game if you don't go into detail, so overall SI did a good job imo, but I will be in that minority that can't enjoy this game.

1. You should only be getting one of these news items. What team/country are you managing in?

2. You get recommended leagues if they're active and running.

3. If you're in the Champions League then it'll be one of your subscriptions by default, is that not the case?

1. I'm managing Cork City in the Irish top tier. I always get it twice. Not immediately though but probably around a few weeks apart from each other.

It's a career game and i can't remember if it happened with the other 3 clubs i was with. Too far in to know/remember now.

2. That explains why i get recommendations of 114 subscriptions each season (Not sure if all of them is twice or not, related to point 1).

Might just be me though, but without having a solid idea of how it would work it does feel that it's a bit much. Especially with lower rep nations, which i have no personal interest of. I always reject the recommended subscriptions.

3. That is indeed the case. However, they recommend me to unsubscribe from the competition, even though i've qualified for it.

It may be a factor that i've crashed out of the competition and, as the new Irish season is somewhere around December/January, it doesn't "need" me to subscribe any longer.

As i don't get another recommendation when the Champions League competition starts all over again, for a new season, i would stay unsubscribed from it.....if i should go by recommendations given to me.

I do not have any edited databases, but are there other player edits that can create problems like that?

If there are, and i run them, then that could possibly be something that messes things up a bit.

I'm currently in mid-season so it'll take a little while until i get to that point where they recommend subscriptions, but i can get back with an update when it happens again; and with more details, if you'd like.

- Close to 100% of the penalty shoot-out's in the game finish at least 5-4. It is extremely rare that more than 1 penalty is missed in the first 10.

- Most common results in the game from penalty shoot-out's are between 7-6 and 11-10.

- In the game IT IS NOT RARE AT ALL to see scores between 13-12 and 30-29. I see at least one at every cup round.

I am sorry, but this is completely broken too, not 'slightly off'. It may not bother majority too much, but it definitely can be game breaker for many FM lovers.

But I understand why SI only cares about the majority - it is a business. They are providing the demo, and also updating the demo after the patch, so it is up to the customers to try the demo first, and if you don't like it, then don't buy it. I personally stopped buying the game before the patches the last few years, and I buy it at the end only if I feel like I can enjoy the game after patches.

The FM14 ME looked great to me the first few matches, but as soon as I discovered the major flaws (and some minor but extremely annoying flaws, like the penalties), I know that there is no way I can enjoy it. It is a great game if you don't go into detail, so overall SI did a good job imo, but I will be in that minority that can't enjoy this game.

I don't like the counter point that there's less penalties awarded so it balances out how many penalties are scored. That would be fine if people played the game as a soak test.

1. I'm managing Cork City in the Irish top tier. I always get it twice. Not immediately though but probably around a few weeks apart from each other.

It's a career game and i can't remember if it happened with the other 3 clubs i was with. Too far in to know/remember now.

2. That explains why i get recommendations of 114 subscriptions each season (Not sure if all of them is twice or not, related to point 1).

Might just be me though, but without having a solid idea of how it would work it does feel that it's a bit much. Especially with lower rep nations, which i have no personal interest of. I always reject the recommended subscriptions.

3. That is indeed the case. However, they recommend me to unsubscribe from the competition, even though i've qualified for it.

It may be a factor that i've crashed out of the competition and, as the new Irish season is somewhere around December/January, it doesn't "need" me to subscribe any longer.

As i don't get another recommendation when the Champions League competition starts all over again, for a new season, i would stay unsubscribed from it.....if i should go by recommendations given to me.

I do not have any edited databases, but are there other player edits that can create problems like that?

If there are, and i run them, then that could possibly be something that messes things up a bit.

I'm currently in mid-season so it'll take a little while until i get to that point where they recommend subscriptions, but i can get back with an update when it happens again; and with more details, if you'd like.

Yes please, if you could provide a save game before the recommendation news item appears with a post in the Media & News Bug Forum I'll take a look at this for you. :thup:

It is not completely broken, because it isn't affecting everyone. It is off, it seems, but not completely broken. Nothing in FM ever really has been.

I've looked back through the cup competitions over the last season, and I've seen the following penalty shootouts

5-4 (1/10 missed)

7-6 (3/16 missed)

4-1 (4/9 missed)

7-8 (1/16 missed)

3-5 (1/9 missed)

5-6 (3/14 missed)

6-5 (1/12 missed)

4-5 (3/12 missed)

5-4 (1/10 missed)

5-4 (1/10 missed)

14-13 (1/28 missed)

5-6 (5/16 missed)

4-5 (1/10 missed)

6-5 (1/12 missed)

14-13 (3/30 missed)

5-4 (1/10 missed)

That's three cup competitions for one season. 31/224 missed. Touch under 14%. There are a couple of outlying long shootouts, and a handful of 5-4s, but doesn't quite look like 100%, does it?

Yes please, if you could provide a save game before the recommendation news item appears with a post in the Media & News Bug Forum I'll take a look at this for you. :thup:

Thanks. I will be doing that in 2-3 days i'd guess, with a save game and a link to post #1123 here :thup:

It is not completely broken, because it isn't affecting everyone. It is off, it seems, but not completely broken. Nothing in FM ever really has been.

I've looked back through the cup competitions over the last season, and I've seen the following penalty shootouts

5-4 (1/10 missed)

7-6 (3/16 missed)

4-1 (4/9 missed)

7-8 (1/16 missed)

3-5 (1/9 missed)

5-6 (3/14 missed)

6-5 (1/12 missed)

4-5 (3/12 missed)

5-4 (1/10 missed)

5-4 (1/10 missed)

14-13 (1/28 missed)

5-6 (5/16 missed)

4-5 (1/10 missed)

6-5 (1/12 missed)

14-13 (3/30 missed)

5-4 (1/10 missed)

That's three cup competitions for one season. 31/224 missed. Touch under 14%. There are a couple of outlying long shootouts, and a handful of 5-4s, but doesn't quite look like 100%, does it?

It does. I said close to 100% of penalty shoot-out's end 5-4 or above. You provided results of 16 penalty shoot-out's, and 15 of them were in that group. 15/16 is the closest you can get to 100% in a sample of 16 (16/16 would be 100%, not close to 100%).

Note: 5-4 or 5-3 is the same, only difference being which team took the first penalty.

It does. I said close to 100% of penalty shoot-out's end 5-4 or above. You provided results of 16 penalty shoot-out's, and 15 of them were in that group. 15/16 is the closest you can get to 100% in a sample of 16 (16/16 would be 100%, not close to 100%).

Note: 5-4 or 5-3 is the same, only difference being which team took the first penalty.

Okay, fellas. SI have acknowledged the issue, and whatever anyone's individual experiences, they have said what their tests show as a conversion rate for penalties, as well as the frequency of penalties given. As far as we are all concerned, it is what it is for FM14, and won't be changed. Let's drop the penalty issue, and keep this thread for other feedback.

EDIT: Not aimed specifically at you Bleventozturk, but the topic in general.

I just find penalty shoot outs to be very predictable. There always seems to be a pattern, and they just don't feel as unpredictable is in real life

That would be fine if people played the game as a soak test.

Ackter does :D

Ackter does :D

Well yeah I generally don't classify him as a person. More of a forum bot sent to wreak havoc on us all.

I saw in change log that in new patch regens are improved in view-only leagues, is anyone loading view-only league because of that and did you noticed better regens in view-only leagues. :)

The conversion rate for corners was fine, which is what SI said. There were too many corners in a match though, resulting in us seeing more goals from corners. The headed clearances were also not the best, so that was fixed too.

That's what I thought too, but then I read this.

Actually I completely understand why it bothers you, the fact that there is a problem in this area bothers me too. Unfortunately all I can say is that it will be addressed for FM15 and that, despite this issue. I am at least satisfied that defending from corners is better in this patch than in the previous one, where corner goals were much higher (unrealistically so).

It appears that not everyone is on the same page. (Apologies but I don't know if Tony is a member of the testing team or something else)

Anyway, what's done is done.

It appears that not everyone is on the same page. (Apologies but I don't know if Tony is a member of the testing team or something else)

Anyway, what's done is done.

I hate to be pedantic, but......

Tony's point is consistent with that of PaulC in the last feedback thread, who said:

Quick update.

- Corners. We are still working on this. Main issue now is there are slightly too many of them at top levels.

Cheers,

Paul

The conversion rate for corners was always fine, but the number of corners was too high, which resulted in the excessive number of corner goals on 14.2.2.

Fewer corners + same conversion rate = fewer corner goals. There is no confusion.

I forgot to delete the file for the German national team.

Do not want to restart.

Will newgens go into the German national team?

Has every one noticed the amount of chances needed for goals to be scored? Is just me? Is my tactics? Is the CCC's interpretation to blame? Cause I'm going mad seeing the amount of CCC's my strikers miss. I'm pretty satisfied with my tactic, it gets the job done, my teams create lots of chances to the point of me feeling guilty of abusing the ME but my God the conversion is bad.

Has every one noticed the amount of chances needed for goals to be scored? Is just me? Is my tactics? Is the CCC's interpretation to blame? Cause I'm going mad seeing the amount of CCC's my strikers miss. I'm pretty satisfied with my tactic, it gets the job done, my teams create lots of chances to the point of me feeling guilty of abusing the ME but my God the conversion is bad.

I have games that go both ways. I think CCC's are the most abused stat to be honest. You see that and you think they are really clear cut, but the way they are calculated when you watch them back many of them are not so great at all. It's all about players being in a specific spot on the pitch and taking a shot, and doesn't account for player stats, how rushed the chance is, etc. I've read it described as a chance where a player should score, all things being optimal. But, they almost never are. When you watch them back are they just bottling sitters, or are they snapped off shots in traffic? Are they coming from a tough angle, or is the keeper well positioned? Sometimes strikers just blow them too :)

I think 2 out of 5 are misinterpreted. Watching them over and over again I noticed that my strikers struggles inside the six yard box. Before the update it was easier to score from an angle. Now(at least in my case ) my goals are scored from shots outside the six yard box and farther central position. What frustrates me the most is that after a mouth watering attacking movement where a simple tap-in should do the trick they miss. Now I'm at a point where my tactic does the job 80% and then nothing, hence my frustration...

I forgot to delete the file for the German national team.

Do not want to restart.

Will newgens go into the German national team?

Those that are better than the greyed out players do.

I think 2 out of 5 are misinterpreted. Watching them over and over again I noticed that my strikers struggles inside the six yard box. Before the update it was easier to score from an angle. Now(at least in my case ) my goals are scored from shots outside the six yard box and farther central position. What frustrates me the most is that after a mouth watering attacking movement where a simple tap-in should do the trick they miss. Now I'm at a point where my tactic does the job 80% and then nothing, hence my frustration...

Maybe post up your tactics and some screenshots of blown chances in a thread in the Tactics forum, because there is likely a solution for whatever is ailing your strikers :)

Another thing I've noticed recently is that the the big 4 teams in England are winning a lot of games in the added time. 90 + 1, 90 + 3, etc. Is it a bug or something?

Maybe post up your tactics and some screenshots of blown chances in a thread in the Tactics forum, because there is likely a solution for whatever is ailing your strikers :)

Currently I'm gathering screenshots:)

Currently I'm gathering screenshots:)

Have the same issue here, mate... Still think it's from the game... The tactic is perfect because it is creating chances, but how you will improve to make the strikers score...

Have the same issue here, mate... Still think it's from the game... The tactic is perfect because it is creating chances, but how you will improve to make the strikers score...

It's not the game. If it were, everyone would have that problem, and there are plenty of folks who don't. If you are creating tons of chances and not scoring from them, then something is wrong with your tactic and isn't perfect.

It's not the game. If it were, everyone would have that problem, and there are plenty of folks who don't. If you are creating tons of chances and not scoring from them, then something is wrong with your tactic and isn't perfect.

Well, please tell me what it could be? We had this discussion earlier today. What in the tactic can make Cristiano Ronaldo to miss twice or even three times when in the six yard box and only the keeper to beat?

Not all problems are tactical, there are motivation issues to consider that could result in a player being overly complacent or just plain uninterested.

Not all problems are tactical, there are motivation issues to consider that could result in a player being overly complacent or just plain uninterested.

That's a good point, but if it's happening consistently game in and game out with different strikers as implied here, then it has to be tactical :). Saigon, let's clarify, is it just Ronaldo that is missing chances or is this happening throughout your whole team on a regular basis?

That's a good point, but if it's happening consistently game in and game out with different strikers as implied here, then it has to be tactical :). Saigon, let's clarify, is it just Ronaldo that is missing chances or is this happening throughout your whole team on a regular basis?

I can say all the strikers are missing a lot... They create amazing chances from playing, set pieces, etc., but the finishing it's not good.

sorry if this is in the wrong place, but since the patch, when i start a new game and select the default database, and use my own editor data file, when the game starts it has all the changes of the 14.3 database and none of my own, any ideas?

I can say all the strikers are missing a lot... They create amazing chances from playing, set pieces, etc., but the finishing it's not good.

Well, if you are interested in trying to find a 'fix' for it, open a thread in the tactics forum and post some screenshots of your tactic and some of your worst misses and folks there will do their best to help you try and solve it.

Honestly, what I've seen reported here on the forum and I see playing is still very weak, EM urgently need more adjustments!

A disappointment a game that had everything to be the best ever be a failure ... the beta in my opinion was the best shot! Patches were leaving and getting worse every patch, this 14.3 has improved very little, miss fm 12! How I love this game and I'm sad about the neglect that has been treated!

Honestly, what I've seen reported here on the forum and I see playing is still very weak, EM urgently need more adjustments!

A disappointment a game that had everything to be the best ever be a failure ... the beta in my opinion was the best shot! Patches were leaving and getting worse every patch, this 14.3 has improved very little, miss fm 12! How I love this game and I'm sad about the neglect that has been treated!

If you have a specific observation about 14.3 post it here. Just general whining and spamming that whining isn't helpful or wanted.

For Epl, players with lack of appearance are not awarded the title or cups. League doesnt need a min of 10apps anymore, fix this

- Players losing many goals face to face with the goalkeeper, and the finalization of them are 16

- Goalkeepers like robots, machine like ninjas doing impossible defenses and both my hows the computer not doing any movement, advocating standing

- Many cons goals and many near goals coming from corner kicks or kicks totally unrealistic

- Indents fully infant ball, resulting in bizonhos and unrealistic goals

- Chutões forward and defenses that do not fight opponents

Basically this, the old patch was unplayable so rotten that it was ME, this improved exchange of passes, the dynamics of the game as well as the set pieces as a whole, most still give 0-10 note 4 to this 14 fm, rest of the game is perfect!