Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

nnjsap.jpg

Never seen anything like that in any FM before. Well, I won in the end, so not a big deal but kinda odd still.

While unlikely, penalty shootouts can reach these levels (according to the ever reliable Wikipedia, the record is 20-19 in the 1988 Argentine Championship, when Argeninos Juniors beat Racing Club). However, we are aware of an issue with penalties where the accuracy is a little off real life levels.

bAWKIhV.png

55 Scored penalties in a row before one was finally missed.

Aside from that I\m enjoying the game :)

Has the ability to right click on a score (in the League results page or your club's results page) and select Player Stats been removed? Since the new patch right-click on a score does nothing. I have to left click, go to the Match Screen and then click on Stats.

Is this a deliberate change, a bug or does my skin need refreshing? (I'm only using the default skin.) Other right clicking works.

A lot better than 14.2.x versions, but still not playable.

AI converts a lot more shots than you do. It doesn't happen every game, but it's still too often for my taste (I'm managing PSV in year 2019, and yes, it's still a top club in eredivisie). But I guess the improvement from 14.2.x versions is that it doesn't happen when you lead 1-0, 2-0 and then get 2 or 3 goals in the last 10 minutes, or you lead 4:0, and then finish the game 4:4 from getting 4 goals in the last 15 minutes.

Hoping for a new patch, if SI wants to save this game.

If the AI regularly has a better conversion rate than you, it's a tactical problem.

If your conceding a lot of late goals, that's also a tactical problem. Especially if it's happening regularly.

It sounds like you'd benefit a lot from creating a thread in the Tactics forum! Include as much detail as you can. Screenshot of your tactics and exactly what you do late in games.

I have seen a lot of people complaint about poor conversion of CCCs and get replied with answers saying that it is our tactics. My question is if our tactic is problematic how do we then manage to create those CCCs? I am not talking about CCCs resulted from opponent mistakes but those that came from proper build up or team play..

I have seen a lot of people complaint about poor conversion of CCCs and get replied with answers saying that it is our tactics. My question is if our tactic is problematic how do we then manage to create those CCCs? I am not talking about CCCs resulted from opponent mistakes but those that came from proper build up or team play..

Well, to be more clear, it could be tactical or motivational. There could be any number of reasons for not converting as much as you should. Also keep in mind that not every CCC is equally as good as the other.

In every thread we've had over the years, it has been shown that it has been a tactical problem or the conversion rate is very close or equal to what the AI conversion rate is.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the "clear cut chances" stat to be honest. Far too many are angled shots and shots from the edge of the area.

The CCCs that I meant is not the one on the stats as shown in every match, I do not really care about that either. What I meant is the true CCC as most people will understand it.

The CCCs that I meant is not the one on the stats as shown in every match, I do not really care about that either. What I meant is the true CCC as most people will understand it.

There could be a number of reasons for that too.

Start a thread if you feel strongly about it. A word of warning, you'll need to upload screenshots and the occasional PKM.

To be honest, if the attacker has a clear path to goal without the chance of a defender cutting it off, but still opts to shoot from 20+ yards, I have no issue with this being deemed a clear cut chance. Just because the attacker makes a poor decision on when to shoot, doesn't make the chance any less. It's the ones from angles, when there are opponents in the middle, which get me.

There could be a number of reasons for that too.

Start a thread if you feel strongly about it. A word of warning, you'll need to upload screenshots and the occasional PKM.

Well I was not complaining about the match engine, none at all, I was just questioning your logic about the CCCs and tactic and you have stated it quite clearly. In fact I am now quite happy with the current ME although it is still a small sample.

Guest El Payaso

The game does seem to often class difficult chances as CCCs if they meet certain criteria.

I'm quite sure that this works both ways; difficult chances counted as CCCs and on the other hand very easy chances sometimes not counted even as HCs. Especially free headers from set plays are often not counted to either of those categories and free shots from middle of the penalty area often counted only as HCs... How are these chances counted in real life? And isn't something like 5 CCCs and 10 HCs way too high amounts for one game and for one team in top division football? Most of the games I watch are kinda 'boring' in terms of amount of chances even though there might be 2-3 goals scored. Like the game against Fulham and Chelsea, maybe 4-5 proper chances for Chelsea and 2-3 for Fulham and still 1-3.

I wish wide players actually do what they're told to do.

I've gone to extra lengths to try & stop it but it still doesn't work. I tell them to "dribble less", "pass it shorter", "fewer risky passes", "cross less often"; essentially any instruction which tells them to play it as simple as possible & tap the ball back into midfield; so why do they continue to play like Aaron Lennon? It's impossible to probe in the opponents half when every time the ball goes out wide, they feel the need to "try" something when I just want them to simply keep the ball moving.

Playing a high pressing game was something I'd hope would be improved in the patch as well, but it hasn't really. Achieving anything near to this still seems impossible -

[video=youtube;AVC7Tfzo6r8]

I wish wide players actually do what they're told to do.

I've gone to extra lengths to try & stop it but it still doesn't work. I tell them to "dribble less", "pass it shorter", "fewer risky passes", "cross less often"; essentially any instruction which tells them to play it as simple as possible & tap the ball back into midfield; so why do they continue to play like Aaron Lennon? It's impossible to probe in the opponents half when every time the ball goes out wide, they feel the need to "try" something when I just want them to simply keep the ball moving.

What positions do you have issues with? ML/R or AML/R?

What Role / Duty combinations have you used?

An Advanced Playmaker at AML/R can do exactly what it sounds like you're after.

EDIT: What Mentality are you using? Any tempo changes?

Well I was not complaining about the match engine, none at all, I was just questioning your logic about the CCCs and tactic and you have stated it quite clearly. In fact I am now quite happy with the current ME although it is still a small sample.

No problem. There was a thread 2 years ago, I think, that implied the AI is cheating when it comes to converting chances. After 4-5 pages he found out that his chance conversion was actually marginally better than the AI.

It does pop up every year, so we're used to it :)

I like the new update so far. My only complaint is that a lot of corners and crosses still look like shots in terms of them hitting the post or looking like a shot. I haven't played a lot of matches enough to judge it properly but I can definitely notice the improvements. My team usually defend well and I'm getting more goals from open play rather than set-pieces.

Hats off to SI for making the game playable and I'm actually looking forward to playing the game compared to a month ago, when I swore I would never touch it again.

I haven't read all the posts but I see some people are complaining about CCC's. If you have played previous FM games you should know that this one considers a lot more chances as CCC's when they're clearly not always as clear as they say.

Full backs are absolutely awful for me. I mean my fullbacks. If they aren't put on anything but a defensive mindset they will always be caught out of position and the same thing happens in that the wingers always find space behind and score very quickly and it is the same kind of goal. I try to play with attacking fullbacks and it doesn't work very well and I have two very good ones in Kyle Walker and Fabio Coentrao. Really hope SI come out with a minor fix in the near future before the release of FM15 because if not I can't justify paying 50 bucks for a big patch that may or may not address all the things that are wrong. A bit disappointed with what I'm playing at the minute, but I keep coming back because this is the only proper sim game on the market. I think SI need some competition again so the quality of work is always getting better and there is a bar that is constantly pushing them to do better. It's only healthy for future improvement of this kind of game.

My AMR (role is winger, attack) has just scored his 27th goal of the season. Four penalties and the rest are pretty much exactly the same goal; lone striker (F9) gets the ball with back to goal, turns and plays an angled through ball, winger bursts into the box while AI left back is still stationary with his back to goal.

My AMR (role is winger, attack) has just scored his 27th goal of the season. Four penalties and the rest are pretty much exactly the same goal; lone striker (F9) gets the ball with back to goal, turns and plays an angled through ball, winger bursts into the box while AI left back is still stationary with his back to goal.

How many do you concede in the same manner?

The same issue has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, and I agree that several of my goals come from similar passages of play, but I seem to concede relatively few of this type.

Not nearly as many, which is strange as I have one of the full backs set to attack duty.

I think it's also a factor that the player in question is a natural striker who is also accomplished at AMR, so his off the ball and anticipation are good.

EDIT - Also if I play against a 4-5-1 I usually set an opposition instruction of close down often on the lone striker, to try and limit his time and space to make a pass.

Full backs are absolutely awful for me. I mean my fullbacks. If they aren't put on anything but a defensive mindset they will always be caught out of position and the same thing happens in that the wingers always find space behind and score very quickly and it is the same kind of goal.

Are you setting any of your midfielders to cover their forward runs? I think it is pretty much essential that if you are playing with two advanced WBs you need a DMC to provide cover if you are caught in possession. When I do this, I use a HB so it is similar to having a back 3.

Not nearly as many, which is strange as I have one of the full backs set to attack duty.

Same here, although I'm using a 4-1-4-1 which is inherently more secure on the flanks than many of the more common formations.

Out of interest, are your wide midfielders (if you have any) at ML/R or AML/R?

My 2 wide men do similar, my CF(s) does the same, wee hold up and slips ball in, sometimes AP does this too, both wide men score pretty well, almost act like a front 3.

Same here, although I'm using a 4-1-4-1 which is inherently more secure on the flanks than many of the more common formations.

Out of interest, are your wide midfielders (if you have any) at ML/R or AML/R?

AML (IF, support) and AMR (winger, attack) either side of a false nine.

AML (IF, support) and AMR (winger, attack) either side of a false nine.

Are you using a 4-5-1 (or whatever the game calls it - 4-1-2-2-1?)

I have a suspicion that people using a 4-2-3-1 with MCs will concede more of this type of goal, than anyone using a formation with a DM and / or ML/R players.

Of course a greater degree of tactical instruction and attributes are factors, but in terms of fundamental shape this seems to hold true.

Yep, 4-5-1. Also have an AP (A) as part of the central midfield pair and on the side of the prolific winger, which means there are two players who are usually in a position to slip him through.

There is a bug in the transfer market. Some players, though they are willing to join me and my club, cannot be offered a contract. It's a problem that appears especially during the first transfer window, probably according to your reputation. I noticed this also with the latest patch and clearly it's still here.

Is it a bug , after I do my match team talk, when I do individual team talk other players morale also adjust even though Im only talking to one person. This is happening since the origianl patch till now

05633fa77bd734185adeaa18f3795bb3.png

I see the AI defend corners like this, so with 4 man with the instruction to mark the 6-yard box. I'm only able to select one player to mark the 6 yard box. How can I get 4 man to mark the 6-yard box, since I concede a lot of corner goals?

I see the AI defend corners like this, so with 4 man with the instruction to mark the 6-yard box. I'm only able to select one player to mark the 6 yard box. How can I get 4 man to mark the 6-yard box, since I concede a lot of corner goals?

This is a User Interface Bug.

The link below is to an official SI response in a thread related to this issue in the Tactics Forum:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/386248-14.3-Corners?p=9470983&viewfull=1#post9470983

Is it a bug , after I do my match team talk, when I do individual team talk other players morale also adjust even though Im only talking to one person. This is happening since the origianl patch till now

Not a bug, other players can hear the conversation in the changing room. This is actually an under-emphasised part of the game, IRL this can cause massive issues when players either feel singled out or feel that they also deserve praise.

i report transfer bug in Turkish league was 2 month ago but nothing change about it. Are u blind or ignore it ? I say again after the 2 season all first league Turkish Clubs play with grey player they have only 15-16 player in first team.Pls check this and pls fix this !

Could SI please please please stick with a match engine that works the most realistic overall. An then rather then trying to put a new one in the next release, don't. Keep working on it,testing it until it is ready, then put it in the following release when ever that is.

Could SI please please please stick with a match engine that works the most realistic overall. An then rather then trying to put a new one in the next release, don't. Keep working on it,testing it until it is ready, then put it in the following release when ever that is. Would save so much agro for both parties!

Or, you could realise that this is exactly what they do, might save yourself some aggro. I think they've "started from scratch" once, maybe twice, but could even be wrong on that. They've been pretty much working on the same ME for 20 years.

Could SI please please please stick with a match engine that works the most realistic overall. An then rather then trying to put a new one in the next release, don't. Keep working on it,testing it until it is ready, then put it in the following release when ever that is.

That's precisely what they do.... FM15 will be based on continuing work from this iteration.

No, it is not my tactic. I got the same responses when I was getting 2 goals in the last 10 minutes of the game and losing, or getting 3 in the last 15 minutes, so that the game ended 3:3. I'm playing with the same exact tactic in 14.3.0. SAME EXACT ONE. Not even a single player instructions changed. That's how I know that the problem is not in me, it's in the game. Now maybe you could say that my tactic exploits the ME weaknesses or problems, but nonetheless, they are problems that need to be dealt with...

Now maybe you could say that my tactic exploits the ME weaknesses or problems, but nonetheless, they are problems that need to be dealt with...
So how about you start a thread then? Show what tactic you are using and what your problems are, for a start.

Now maybe you could say that my tactic exploits the ME weaknesses or problems, but nonetheless, they are problems that need to be dealt with...

Alright, let me get this right. IF your tactic has exploited ME problems, and these have subsequently been patched and fixed, rendering your tactic poorer, then how exactly would SI "deal" with this? Does that not maybe say that it's something you would need to deal with?

Alright, let me get this right. IF your tactic has exploited ME problems, and these have subsequently been patched and fixed, rendering your tactic poorer, then how exactly would SI "deal" with this? Does that not maybe say that it's something you would need to deal with?

I would need to deal with it, if I would still be losing games to a turnaround in the last 10 minutes. That does not happen anymore. Hence, the problem was in ME, not in me, if it was the problem in me, these things would still be happening in 14.3.0. They don't.

Don't get me wrong, this patch is an major improvement from 14.2.x, but it's still not enjoyable. Opposite teams (even mid-level or below-average teams) have quite often a better conversion rate then my player, who are top notch (in their league). So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm waiting for the next patch, that solves that problem.

I would need to deal with it, if I would still be losing games to a turnaround in the last 10 minutes. That does not happen anymore. Hence, the problem was in ME, not in me, if it was the problem in me, these things would still be happening in 14.3.0. They don't.

Don't get me wrong, this patch is an major improvement from 14.2.x, but it's still not enjoyable. Opposite teams (even mid-level or below-average teams) have quite often a better conversion rate then my player, who are top notch (in their league). So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm waiting for the next patch, that solves that problem.

You'll be waiting a while, given that the next update will be FM15. I suspect you won't be happy then either, as everything will still clearly be against you and nothing will be your fault.

Opposite teams (even mid-level or below-average teams) have quite often a better conversion rate then my player, who are top notch (in their league). So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm waiting for the next patch, that solves that problem.

I know others have said the same, but I must reiterate that variable conversion rates stem entirely from a tactical source.

Those mid-level or below-average sides may have players who are inferior on paper, but if they are set up more appropriately than your own, then their conversion rates will be better. No patch on FM14 / FM15 / FM16.... will ever change that.

Ok. Let's look at it from another perspective. If this indeed is my problem, and always has been, how come I don't lose the game in the last 10 minutes of playing time, while having 26 shots against opponents 3 (like in the last patch)? And I repeat again, I have not changed a single thing in my tactics.

Ok. Let's look at it from another perspective. If this indeed is my problem, and always has been, how come I don't lose the game in the last 10 minutes of playing time, while having 26 shots against opponents 3 (like in the last patch)? And I repeat again, I have not changed a single thing in my tactics.

Because pre-update, your tactics took advantage of something that now doesn't exist. Simple.

I'm not sure if this a bug, probably is. As Norwich City when my new youth candidates were generated when I tried to sign any of the really good ones they all wanted Backup status in their contracts despite that not being available for youth contracts, they were happy to sign as Hot Prospects but I had to manually change each contract. It also sort of happened at the start of the save when I tried to offer new contracts to the good players in the U21 and U18 team they all wanted Backup status in their contracts rather then Hot Prospect or Decent Youngster.

I wish the transfer system was more fun, yes I said fun.

It has been discussed to death about players being offered out for free and no teams wanting them, I know when I offer a player that is valued at 2 million and I offer him for 0 is me being unrealistic as it is unlikely to happen, especially if I am doing so for about 8 players, I really wish that the AI teams would take a couple of them though, I would think if a team did let 7 or 8 of their players go for free when they have values 1.4 million + then some teams from around the world would happily take them.

On a related note on another save in C2 in the January window I am offering a player out for 0, he is valued at around 200k and 1 team that is interested keeps replying with "they do not see it as value for money", I am offering him for 0, it does not get better than that, if they see his value as below 0 then they should not even be looking at him or making responses when I offer him to teams.

I wish the transfer system was more fun, yes I said fun.

It has been discussed to death about players being offered out for free and no teams wanting them, I know when I offer a player that is valued at 2 million and I offer him for 0 is me being unrealistic as it is unlikely to happen, especially if I am doing so for about 8 players, I really wish that the AI teams would take a couple of them though, I would think if a team did let 7 or 8 of their players go for free when they have values 1.4 million + then some teams from around the world would happily take them.

On a related note on another save in C2 in the January window I am offering a player out for 0, he is valued at around 200k and 1 team that is interested keeps replying with "they do not see it as value for money", I am offering him for 0, it does not get better than that, if they see his value as below 0 then they should not even be looking at him or making responses when I offer him to teams.

I think you have to look at the transfer system on a whole with wider eyes - it simply does not come down to the fee you're paying up front for a player. Granted, you may be offering a player out on a free, but that on its own is going to make others wonder 'Why the hell is this bozo being offered out for nothing'? Then in the same way that signing fees, agent fees, loyalty bonuses, other bonuses etc come out of your transfer budget now, the player in question might have ridiculously high wages others simply can't afford or, as you say, isn't representative of value for money when better, cheaper alternatives are already out there.

Everything has to be taken into consideration when making transfers now, not just 'Sign player A for 'X' amount'..

Sure, I feel the transfer system could be improved in places (I do feel AI squad building over time leaves a little bit to be desired) but it's actually far, far better than in previous versions of the game. With a little patience and some extra negotiation, etc, I find that getting value for money for your players and vice-versa is a relatively easy thing to do!

I know this Pelz, as I said it has been discussed to death.

That is why I said "I wish it was more Fun".

The players I am offering out are not on insane wages, it would be nice if a club in real life did this just to see the response but from 1000s of clubs I am sure 1 club would come in for a player valued at 2 million and pick up his 10k a week wages.

Also a team trolling me saying a player they are interested in is not value for money at 0, at this I did laugh a little.

Ha, I get your point...

... Got to be careful when wanting things to get a little more 'fun' though. Personally, I think it'd be more fun if I could use a laser pen from the touchline and shine it at the opposition goalkeeper during a penalty shoot out, or hire Alan Pardew to simply walk around nutting the opposition, but the minute more 'fun' is introduced into the game we step further and further away from the realism that's trying to be replicated.

On a serious note though... Laser pen from the touchline? Any chance S.I? :p