Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were you, I would create a thread in the tactics forum. It does sound like you have a tactical issue, rather than a ME issue.

I have tried both wide and narrow as an only instruction in the tactic, players behave totally same, so I couldn't agree it's because of my tactics or any "conflicting" instructions.

I personally have no problems with defense at all. I actually had 3 games with no goals conceded in a row now :D

I had a 5 game streak without conceding, it is not about the number of the goals, but about moronic behaviour of my players.

Anyone experiencing defence problems since 14.3? I can't see the difference between wide and narrow play, through balls always come between the defenders. Also, CD-s tend to close down more, although I didn't touch individual closing down, and general pressing is set to Stand off more.

Deep, stand off - I expect to concede goals from distance or deep crosses on tall players, not some rubbish Ukrainian 2nd division side to play through my defence like Bayern.

So, no chance of 14.3.1?

If by CD-S you mean he is set as a Stopper duty then they are meant to close down more then a Defend or Cover duty. I have always found that it you have a CD-Stopper and and CD-Cover that it leaves massive gaps in the defence, so I use CD-Defend for both defenders.

Have the fans expectations on a match been moved to the ratings of the leagues that the two team players in (in Champions League)

Playing as Bayern Munich, I came up against Real Sociedad, and got this

f1yvjn.png

Seems really weird that the fans of the current CL holders should fear that a team sitting 16th in the Spanish League?

Hi DKB, can you post this in the bugs forum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/365-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks) and if possible provide a save from before the match occurs? Thanks.

i've found Tommy Spurr is ignoring my long throw advice. seemingly because someone is a short option...appreciate they are free but then all they do is knock it back to each other and cross. I want a long throw

Have you got a short option set Citizen? There is an issue we're aware of where this can cause your throw in taker to ignore his instructions and throw short in certain circumstances.

Generally speaking we feel wide play is much better balanced and the User is capable of affecting behaviour with a variety of tactical settings. There is also a possible issue where goalkeepers may at times drop the ball at their feet in dangerous circumstances.

Penalties are, as has been pointed out, less frequently occuring than in real life and up until now I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest disallowed goals are too frequent.

Anything that you suspect may be a bug please report it in the Match Engine bugs forum: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/365-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Thanks.

• Administrators
Just a question out of curiosity: Since there isn't going to be another patch, what is the benefit of the bug reports from now on?

For any future version (say FM15). Some areas of the game may be redesigned, but we know as much as anything people hate it when an issue carries from one version into the next. If you report it now, we can try our best to eliminate it from every occurring again. Thanks.

Just a question out of curiosity: Since there isn't going to be another patch, what is the benefit of the bug reports from now on?

Some problems, if not reported, would still be present come FM15, so you're helping to develop that too.

• Administrators
This has been slowly irritating me and not sure what is causing it, but occasionally, well often really, my single mouse clicks are acting like 2 very quick ones. Is there anything I can do to fix this.

You on a Mac or PC? You using an external mouse or a trackpad (if it's a laptop)?

One thing I have noticed, which bugs me is when a player at your club retires, and becomes a coach, you can't sign him on a reasonable wage.

For example, Ryan Giggs was earning £34K p/w (on his player contract) when he retired from football at Manchester United, and I wanted him to join my coaching staff (on a coaching contract) upon retirement to stay with Manchester United, yet he still wanted £34K p/w to be a coach. There is not a single coach at my club who earns that amount, let alone an inexperienced one. So I've had to let him leave/retire on a free, and now he's a free agent coach. 6 months on, I can't sign him as he won't even speak to me about a coaching role anymore, even though he's not been signed up in 6 months. :thdn:

You should be able to negotiate a reasonable coaching contract while he's still at your club, after he's announced his retirement date. :thup:

Guest El Payaso
I personally have no problems with defense at all. I actually had 3 games with no goals conceded in a row now
I've conceded one in 8 Premierleague games but it still isn't good defending when you compare it to real life. Full-backs especially, it's been a problem for years that they can't mark those in-cutting wingers. Especially when you have something like F9 as your lone striker, he receives the ball in front of the central defenders, is allowed to turn and put a through ball in... And there it is: winger through on goal regularly, it's been like that for years.

Inside the penalty area is often too much time and space to take shots and especially in crosses centrebacks aren't really coping too well even though you didn't have a good 'box-player' as a striker. Really cheap ways to score goals IMO... But like I've already said; we do need more tactical options especially in the movement as a team to be really able to break down a well defending defensive line.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it also means that the ME will be maintained and improved rather than re-created again for FM15 :p

El Payaso I can't say I've played enough of 14.3 to have solid conclusions but I generally saw exactly what I expected from my players, be it defense or offense. I'll try to notice more the inside forward thing you mention.

• SI Staff
One thing I have noticed, which bugs me is when a player at your club retires, and becomes a coach, you can't sign him on a reasonable wage.

For example, Ryan Giggs was earning £34K p/w (on his player contract) when he retired from football at Manchester United, and I wanted him to join my coaching staff (on a coaching contract) upon retirement to stay with Manchester United, yet he still wanted £34K p/w to be a coach. There is not a single coach at my club who earns that amount, let alone an inexperienced one. So I've had to let him leave/retire on a free, and now he's a free agent coach. 6 months on, I can't sign him as he won't even speak to me about a coaching role anymore, even though he's not been signed up in 6 months. :thdn:

You should be able to negotiate a reasonable coaching contract while he's still at your club, after he's announced his retirement date. :thup:

Thanks. Agree with this and will pass it on to the development team to look into.

Cheers,

Ben

I think aside from 1v1 finishing & the lack of placement from players with 'places shots' as a preferred move, this game is brilliant. A lot more people said they'd stopped playing for a few months this year, but I for one have fallen back in love with the game now.

I know there have been a couple of minor issues with news items, such as a player saying 'it's a dream to have interest from this club, I can't wait for a formal bid', then refusing to discuss contract terms, but I cannot complain about this game any more.

The possession play & movement is fantastic, just one minor update tweaking shot placement to far post & cut backs, as opposed to shoot at near post side netting or GK from any angle and this for me will be the perfect game.

That's the only minor issue I can even think of now, superb effort to everyone at SI! This is why many of us weren't happy with the last patch, when you're capable of this!

Finished a season with 14.3, here we go:

1. defenders marking is still poor

2. finishing is still too low IMO

3. defenders still run under the ball all the time when a long ball is played forward

4. players pass backwards too often, regardless of time, score, or tactics

5. when a ball is played into a striker, particularly in the near post area, instead of hitting it for an almost certain goal, he decides to take a touch, taking him away from goal, so the defender gets back and the chance is lost. This happens literally every time.

6. players running for the ball, then inexplicably slowing right down so an opposition player catches them.

7. Ludicrous keeper passing remains.

8. Players just ignoring the ball like they don't know it's there is still rife

9. (This is the worst for me) players shooting at the keeper at near post, into the side netting, or not even getting it near to the side netting, from tight angles when there are 1 or more unmarked players in the box. In the most recent game I played I counted 9 times this happening. I reckon this must be the average over the season. It has been a problem all the way through with FM14, and it actually punishes you for playing a system which gets wide players in behind.

Other than that, there have been some improvements. First touch is better.

I try to release 33 year old players on 500 quid a week to bring in 2 or 3 younger ones

but cheers for concern

How long are their contracts running for? Releasing them costs compensation, and it's probable that it just isn't worth it to the board to shell out that much money up front just to get rid of someone. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You on a Mac or PC? You using an external mouse or a trackpad (if it's a laptop)?

desktop PC, wireless mouse. Works fine for everything else.

• Administrators
desktop PC, wireless mouse. Works fine for everything else.

It may be worth checking out the mouse settings via the Control Panel, make sure 'trails' are turned off. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the Mouse drivers via the Device Manager. Details here on how to access the device manager - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Guest El Payaso

I'll try to notice more the inside forward thing you mention.

It has hurted the AI teams much more than it has for me. Actually Willian or Schürrle on the right has been more deadly as defensive winger than Hazard on left side as inside forward but I think that has more to do with Azpi whom I play as an attacking full-back on the right. Just had a game against Cardiff where Schürrle was allowed to take 5 free shots inside the penalty area; one of them leading to goal. Torres passed him through at the start of the game and he scored but after that I think that Azpi created three chances for him... It is kinda joke that full-backs never seem to intercept those passes between full-back and winger: my midfielders spread the play to Azpi on the right side and he is allowed to complete a simple short pass to penalty area for Schürrle or Willian and they get good chances through that... And often the full-backs are standing there between them or atleast they should and that kind of chances should be easily defended away.

Generally it is more balanced now how the engine works but you can easily state that the amount of proper goalscoring chances is still way too high. I just had a game against Atletico in Champions League and had something like 4 CCC's and 10 half chances, I would say that with 'realistic' finishing that Chelsea usually have in real life, they would have scored maybe ~7 goals from that kind of chances, I scored none. That amount of chances just don't pop up for them in real football. And the game didn't even count all of those free headers we got from set-pieces to either category so the amount should have been even higher.

And I know that some of you are saying that you shouldn't trust those stats in the game that state that we had certain amount of chances but with comprehensive, I saw every one of those half and clear cut chances so can't criticise the amounts that are there for me to see.

How long are their contracts running for? Releasing them costs compensation, and it's probable that it just isn't worth it to the board to shell out that much money up front just to get rid of someone. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Am not moaning about that

Im not happy with injuries and fact I cant fill a bench

Am not moaning about that

Im not happy with injuries and fact I cant fill a bench

You seemed to be doing just that originally. Like the devs have said, injuries are lower than they probably should be. That points to two things - either bad luck, or something you're doing in your tactics or training that is causing the increased injuries.

I am seeing quite a few "bad" crosses leading to goals. Some of them are own goals, that might be because my team morale is low or the keeper/defenders are nervous. In half a season I've scored two and conceded two where the keeper just rushes out as if to claim the cross off the head or boot if the opposition when the cross is actually going nowhere near the opposition player and goes straight into the goal. Could just be because the team is on a bad run, but they are the sort of goals you'd only expect to see once or twice a season in the whole league let alone for one team.

Well after the last patch the ME looks at least "decent" just like last year with 13.3 But i still think fm 12.2.2 is still the best ME who SI ever made and looking some forums i´m not the only one. So another year playing FM12...i guess in FM15 things can change..maybe.

I didn't WANT 35m just like they don't actually want that when I bid 10m and they quote 35m. I can get that down to, say, 25m and everyone's happy. I can do that because I understand what the negotiation game is all about. The AI, like you say, think that I actually want 35m no more no less and then withdraws... and that's simply put idiotic. They play the game well as the seller but not at all as the buyer. This needs to be fixed!

The point is if your at 35m and the AI is at 10m there is really no point in negotiating from the AI's perspective. If AI isn't willing to pay 22m+ then why negotiate?

Ok. Give an example.

What if you use Stoppers, what if you use Hassle Opponents, what if you use an aggressive Attacking Mentality which renders Drop Deeper less relevant, what if your players have attributes which make them less likely to adhere to tactical instruction, what if your players have PPMs to influence their behaviour?

Archived