Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question? Do the researchers get involved in updates? I only ask because BFS at West Ham has been using Matt Taylor as a DM and Diame as a wide midfielder for quite a few weeks now IRL and yet they are still both ineffective in these positions in game?

• SI Staff

Also, I've noticed that none of the English teams seem be entered into any U21 or U18 competition. In fact, I've noticed that none of the teams in the leagues I've loaded up have entered U21/U19/U18 competitions, except the Norwegian leagues. Do the fixtures get sorted out closer to the start of the season?

Yeah, depending on the start date that you have used some Reserve or Youth leagues won't have had their fixtures generated yet. As you continue the game these competitions will have their fixtures generated.

Yeah, depending on the start date that you have used some Reserve or Youth leagues won't have had their fixtures generated yet. As you continue the game these competitions will have their fixtures generated.

Ah, that'll explain why most of the leagues haven't got any fixtures for U21s/U18s yet whilst Norway does - I started in June which is well into the Norwegian football season, but is early pre-season for the other leagues.

• SI Staff
Why aren't the Norwegian league updated ? the season (2013) was finished in november.. last years patch did update it i think..

Did you change the start date to 2014?

If you do then Tromso will be in the Adeccoligaen, etc..

For some reason Keith Treacy seems to be in the reserves and transfer listed (he's been in the matchday squad a lot this season) , Dean Marney is out for 7 months on it which absolutely confuses me, I don;t know where you guys got that information from. Mee and Duff are also injured for 2 months on the update too which I can confirm both are definitely not injured

AI Defences now seem to operate a zonal marking system at corners whereby they create a line of defenders along the 6 yard box.

Why am I not able to set up on the same basis?

I am only allowed 1 player on the 6 yard line.

I didn't think the ME did this? We should be capable of everything that the AI is capable of. Thoughts?

[Edit]

From the fix list.

- Fixed up "Mark six yard area" at corners to mean zonal marking of the edge of the six yard box

I currently have 1 player set to "mark 6 yard box". When I try to add a 2nd player to do the same, the only option with "6 yard box" is "Mark with 6 yard box (Swap with Bla Bla)." If I swap with Bla Bla, then I will still only have 1 player on the 6 yard box.

[Edit2]

There are goals flying in everywhere now. If you shoot from outside the area and it's on target then it's a goal.:thdn:

Have you basically just made everything easier? :(

[Edit3]

No change in penalties.:thdn:

Nothing on fix list about facilities/planning issue that drags on for years.:thdn:

[Edit4]

I really hope things look better tomorrow. Really not impressed at the moment. Maybe I'm just feeling arsey.

Great to see that a bug I reported on seems all fixed and save game compatible.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/381518-14.2.1-Player-Biography-Bug-(Loaned-Players)

The players I posted about have their biography now with the right figures.

After playing a few more matches I've got to say the overall play looks really impressive. Tackles area still too successful though and my biggest gripe is that everyone is the same height in the 3D ME. It looks really bad. Really wish that could be fixed. I'd rather a fat Messi than having every player look 6ft.

Regarding player heights in the ME, our scaling was throwing up some strange 3D models (e.g. Messi appearing 'fat') and so we're working on a much improved system for future versions, however, unfortunately this is not ready yet.
So does this mean there is NO scaling at the moment? That is really sad, it sure does look things have gone backwards. I guess its 2 step forwards, one step back, to eventually head in the right direction.

I've only played five matches so far because of my 'full match' fetish, my thoughts so far...

To start with, I've just watched the best three matches I've ever seen played out in any version of FM that I've had. The player movement, passing, first touch and control are a massive improvement and this now looks very believable and it's actually very entertaining to watch, in fact the second to last game I played was a totally nail biting, end to end 1-0 win (possibly the best game I've ever witnessed).

The wing play is much, much better, more flowing, better crossing and with just the right amount of 'some get through, some don't', my full backs are finally overlapping properly and sending in some decent crosses from deep, I've also seen both of them down in the corner flag area a few times too, that's very pleasing.

The two centre mids are finally playing together a lot more and I've not seen them get in each others way once so far, the build up play through the middle is terrific and also much more flowing than before.

The defenders still seemed to be a bit wooden and static and were still getting caught out far too often with those long balls over the top, I've messed around with the tactics and instructions for the back four, to try and compensate for the new upgrade and they are getting much better.

The horrible 'hundreds of goals from corners' seems to have gone, only seen two goals from a corner in five matches so far.

There does seem to be a lot of penalties creeping in, unless I'm just going through a bad patch, four in five games. Also I'm seeing an awful lot of wayward shots from all kinds of ranges, not too bothered about this, at least it helps to keep the score at a reasonable level, although I'm not sure I'll see it that way when I'm losing 1-0 with five minutes to go...haha

This is now a bloody good game and I love it, this patch has been well worth the long wait...

Well done Devs.... this is what I wanted!

P.S.

I forgot all about the keeper..... Since my back four have joined in the game he's not really had a great deal to do but what I've seen of him he looks an awful lot more capable now than he did.

How is the defending in version 14.3? Do the defenders still allow the strikers to run through easily or will attempt to tackle the striker, and be successful at winning the ball?

What about marking - do defenders generally do a good job of tracking players (assuming all settings are done properly)?

How is the defending in version 14.3? Do the defenders still allow the strikers to run through easily or will attempt to tackle the striker, and be successful at winning the ball?

What about marking - do defenders generally do a good job of tracking players (assuming all settings are done properly)?

after messing about with instructions and tactics, my back four are playing a whole lot better than they ever had, they're a little slow off the mark sometimes but generally I'd say big improvement mate.

I've seen every game Sterling has played and several that Januzaj has played. I'm a Liverpool fan, so there's inevitably going to be some bias, but on what I've seen of both players they are not sufficiently different to warrant the massive difference in stats that Januzaj has over Sterling. I've backed this up with more than just opinion, so how else am I to make and back up my opinions?

Maybe you could hold a minute of silence before your next FM match?

So does this mean there is NO scaling at the moment? That is really sad, it sure does look things have gone backwards. I guess its 2 step forwards, one step back, to eventually head in the right direction.

How important do you think it is?

Aesthetically it isn't perfect, but in ME terms, attributes related to physical traits still play their part, and that is the critical thing for me.

Why don't you play it and find out.

For some reason Keith Treacy seems to be in the reserves and transfer listed (he's been in the matchday squad a lot this season) , Dean Marney is out for 7 months on it which absolutely confuses me, I don;t know where you guys got that information from. Mee and Duff are also injured for 2 months on the update too which I can confirm both are definitely not injured
Also Arfield is still a CM on it when he's played all of our games as a RW/LW

Let's keep data issues where they belong please, in the data issue threads. If they are posted there, they will get seen to.

Also, injuries and the like will be accurate to how they were on the date the game starts.

Lastly, data is generally not done by SI themselves. It's a team of researchers, which means there will be a Burnley researcher, posting it here is almost certainly not going to get the info to who you want it to.

In the meantime, you could change this yourself in 30 seconds in the editor, if that helps. :thup:

Quick question? Do the researchers get involved in updates? I only ask because BFS at West Ham has been using Matt Taylor as a DM and Diame as a wide midfielder for quite a few weeks now IRL and yet they are still both ineffective in these positions in game?

Yes, every player is assessed. However, the deadline was late January with player moves to the January 31st deadline. If they have only been used for a few weeks then it won't be able to be added, plus a few weeks probably isn't enough to make a change anyway. If you play/train them in-game they will improve there, just like presumably they have been doing mid-season IRL.

I never played prepatch, but this is by far and away the best ME I have ever played. I'm shocked how good it is.

So far, it seems very realistic, much more realistic than any of the other efforts. it seems to reflect my tactics very accurately, they can play some nice football. They act like real footballers. Off the ball and decision making is a massive improvement and just seems overall much more polished and finished article then any other ME I have played.

Pretty impressed so far with this game.

Guest El Payaso

Just a few games played so far but looking quite good and really encouraged when hearing about long shot goals being back in the game, haven't seen a single one yet though but my players really haven't taken too many attempts... Statistically the game seems good so far; won my first game of the season at Home against Hull 4-0 but only got something like 16 shots in the game and Hull's players seemed much more composed and 'brave' than in earlier updates; they actually tried to play against us. Goals were scored quite cheaply though I think; nothing tactically brilliant in those as Hazard and Torres sliced the defence up with just two of them up forward and the other team having the whole defence grouped.

I read the update list and really don't get it why did you apparently increased the effectivity of dribbling? There were obvious evidence available that players already did have way too many succesful dribbles per game compared to real life and now you have increased the effect... Why is that? Okay, I've only had this one game with Chelsea and a few more with my Boreham Wood team in the Championship so can't analyze the stats just yet but it does seem odd if dribbling is even more effective than before. Has anyone got more experience on that?

But yeah, generally seems good so far.

Who said penalties are unstoppable in FM14 ?

[video=youtube;vpgXP8EzvQo]

No they're not....haha

Only thing is, that's now 5 penalties in 6 games ?

The issue isn't that penalties are unstoppable. The issue is that they never seem to miss the target. They are either saved, (rarely), or they go in. They are never missed.

I just started a new game with Man City. Since they have a nice budget I decided to throw out some money on a few players like Eder Balanta, Mattia De Sciglio, Xherdan Shaqiri, etc... None of them are interested in negotiating a contract after the transfer fee was accepted by their club. Not even Balanta wants to come to Man City... They happen to have a manager that likes them to stay at their club too. In the previous patch I didn't have any problem attracting the same players for the same club. Are their managers a bit hard to deal with or do I need to unsettle them? Or is this a bug? Not one player is interested in a contract out of 5 so far. All players I used to buy before the patch without a fuzz. And also, when I declare interest in them, they all want to play for Man City.

14.3.1 just needs to address these three things and we're golden:

1. Too many pens converted. The rate seemed fine on FM13. Why change?

2. Slightly too many long shots going in

3. In the team report it doesn't default to your assistants perception of ability. My default is the under 18's ass manager which is odd.

Anyone else having horrific conversion rates?

5 CCCs + 7 HCs - 2 goals.

1 CCC 7 HCs - 2 goals.

Should I be expecting more? (I am expecting more)

Is this a problem?

Other than this the ME is incredible compared to 14.2.

From my limited experience, the best thing SI could do regarding CCC's is to remove them from the match screen. Too many people place too much importance on them and usually at the expense of the other match day stats.

AI Defences now seem to operate a zonal marking system at corners whereby they create a line of defenders along the 6 yard box.

Why am I not able to set up on the same basis?

I am only allowed 1 player on the 6 yard line.

I didn't think the ME did this? We should be capable of everything that the AI is capable of. Thoughts?

I'm also wondering how this can be set up for my team. It seems to work quite well for the AI with the 4 men standing along the 6 yard box. Not sure if this is a bug or not. I've tried to have players set to "go back" or leave it at "default" but still only the 1 man with "mark six yard box" is marking zonally. Any solutions to this?

I just started a new game with Man City. Since they have a nice budget I decided to throw out some money on a few players like Eder Balanta, Mattia De Sciglio, Xherdan Shaqiri, etc... None of them are interested in negotiating a contract after the transfer fee was accepted by their club. Not even Balanta wants to come to Man City... They happen to have a manager that likes them to stay at their club too. In the previous patch I didn't have any problem attracting the same players for the same club. Are their managers a bit hard to deal with or do I need to unsettle them? Or is this a bug? Not one player is interested in a contract out of 5 so far. All players I used to buy before the patch without a fuzz. And also, when I declare interest in them, they all want to play for Man City.

Yep I've noticed this too, same thing happened last year also. I play as Hibernian in SPFL and players I got prior to the new data/ME update I got no bother, I always wait for final update to come out before starting on my long save in game but players I know would come and are pretty decent just aren't interested or their value has increased out of all recognition.

How important do you think it is?

Aesthetically it isn't perfect, but in ME terms, attributes related to physical traits still play their part, and that is the critical thing for me.

It is as important as one paying customer thinks it is. It just think it is shocking that after not playing the game for a couple of years (even though I buy the game every year to support SI and the genre in any way possible), certain aspects appear to not only not improve (such as game sounds) but some things have literally gone backwards (match engine + graphics/glitches). Some bugs I encountered literally years ago, still exist and it is frustrating seeing people reporting the same things year after year.

My comment however, still had optimism that SI can put things right, but again it means waiting another 12 months for the next product. I really think SI needs to keep working on the current product (FM2014), even though technically they do - and re-sell it as the next years installment.

Sadly, I felt disappointed with the product when I tested it today as I thought things would have been vastly improved in 24 months, but after a few hours of play I noticed this is not the case. I really hope SI understand that the game really should have been in a better state not only as a product this year, but as a genre. The last decade of FM really hasn't set the world on fire with any one feature or with a vastly improved match engine. To me it looks like a product that has been over tinkered with and is just stagnating with it seemingly going backward in quality than actually forward.

I say this as a fan of the company and the game - and just being brutally honest. It is also just my opinion and nothing more, but nothing will sway it - so there is no need for an out and out debate over this issue, at least not from my end.

Edit: Ignore the post below. Just played a day's worth of single player FM, and the new match engine is fantastic. I have absolutely no idea why playing in Versus Mode is such a mirror image to it, completely baffling.

Defending's snappier and tighter, goalkeepers dive about and save more, lovely passing, strikers now passing to their partners in the box, nice variation of goals and some lovely player movement. De Gea saved a penalty, when in previous MEs, he (or any other keeper) would just stand motionless a lot of the time. Even when I lose, I'm enjoying the experience, and where there are problems with my team, it's now somehow more intuitive to fix the problems.

One great moment was when a goal was scored which my defence thought was offside, the entire back four chased the ref, surrounded him, followed him around the pitch, and eventually one of them was booked. I've seen it before to a much lesser extent in 14 and previous FMs, but this was full-on Keano-goes-mental mode, and I loved it.

Best ME ever. Please, for the love of god, don't change it, don't touch anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

Played an online session (Versus Mode) with a friend last night and, quite honestly, I don't know where to begin. I don't know if it's because it's 2 human players with their own tactics against each other or what, but in the one hour session we had, in every single game there was a moment which left us completely dumbfounded at what we were witnessing.

The moment that really stood out for both of us was when his goalkeeper launched a ball upfield, my defence were rooted to the spot, and his two strikers were literally 10 feet offside in a mass of space, and just tapped it past my keeper, and the goal stood. We couldn't speak properly for about 30 seconds. My friend actually ended up apologizing to me because it stood.

There were several other outrageously bad moments, including another 5-10 feet offside goal but not quite as spectacular as my previous example, and the first match which ended 3:3, yet the post-match screen showed it as 4:3 including goalscorer and time scored (which never actually happened), then upon exiting, the news item correctly displayed it as 3:3 again. Again, we were absolutely baffled as to what was going on.

At the end of the session, we were both just shaking our heads and laughing in disbelief. My friend said "I never want to play this ME again". I have no idea as to how this has happened, although like I said, it was an online game, I don't know if it makes a difference on the engine having more than 1 human player involved.

The one thing that has improved is the passing, it's lovely to watch at times.

we play a long standing clan game online ( 10 members ) and ive seen this twice now on fm14 and we had it once on fm13 . where a score said one thing to one human , but another thing to the other human - but when the game processed the goal and scorer had been wiped clean

The moment that really stood out for both of us was when his goalkeeper launched a ball upfield, my defence were rooted to the spot, and his two strikers were literally 10 feet offside in a mass of space, and just tapped it past my keeper, and the goal stood. We couldn't speak properly for about 30 seconds. My friend actually ended up apologizing to me because it stood.

You can't be offside from a goal kick (assuming it was and not just an open play 'keeper clearance?). The issue here is the strikers react a good 2-3 seconds before the defensive line does.

im liking the new match engine

it finally feels as fluid to watch and as realistic to watch as fm13 ended up

passing is much improved and a few of the little niggly things have now stopped ... but .....

im now conceding quite a few goals , which im sure is just going to be a tweak here or there ... anyone any ideas ??

also , im now conceding like stink on corners yet im not really able to score corners myself ... which is starting to drain me , especially when my board are " concerned about the lack of goals from set pieces "

again , anyone any ideas ??

You can't be offside from a goal kick (assuming it was and not just an open play 'keeper clearance?). The issue here is the strikers react a good 2-3 seconds before the defensive line does.

Just watched it back and you're right, it was a goal-kick.

Still having to manually change all my annual note reminders back one day every year. That's the only downside so far. Serious question: how difficult is it to implement a hotfix or whatever to a bug that dozens of people have reported? There's already a working calendar in the game, creating fixtures etc; all you need to do is fix 'annual' notes to this. Tell them to go forward by 365 days or 366 in a leap year. Surely that only takes one person 5 minutes to alter?

passing is much improved and a few of the little niggly things have now stopped ... but .....

im now conceding quite a few goals , which im sure is just going to be a tweak here or there ... anyone any ideas ??

also , im now conceding like stink on corners yet im not really able to score corners myself ... which is starting to drain me , especially when my board are " concerned about the lack of goals from set pieces "

It will be difficult for anyone to give you advice when you've not given in information except thatched you're conceding a lot. Best to ask in the tactics forum. Remember to post a screenshot of your tactic.

Maybe you could hold a minute of silence before your next FM match?

Good idea. I'm guessing this is falling on deaf ears anyway.

I know it's a minor issue but I just can't get my head around how after 1180 minutes of Premier League action and 5 completed games he's suddenly had a boost of -9 to -10 PA and an upgrade of CA from 120 to 145.

If you just take his top attributes including passing, dribbling, flair, technique and first touch (ignoring his excellent physical stats) he's in the same shortlist as Messi, Aguero, David Silva, Iniesta, Benzema, Ozil, Gotze, Isco, Coutinho, Kagawa, Ben Arfa and Thiago. Now I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just nowhere near their league yet.

Ah well, I've said my bit and hopefully the message is out there now. At least there's an editor to balance things for my own games, just feels like cheating though.

Match engine's working well as of the latest update, but I can't assign squad numbers any more...

I can auto-assign but I hate doing that, it'd bug the hell out of me to not have the right squad numbers. Any tips? I really hope I don't have to scrap this game, I'm just starting my 9th season having just got my Stockport side into the Champions League...

Can anyone help with this? I know it may seem minor but it's exactly the sort of irritant that will really ruin the game for me. Seems such a stupid reason to lose an 8-season save.

Edit: to be a bit clearer about the issue, I've got to the news item where I have to submit my squad numbers for the season. I go to the squad numbers screen, click on the drop-down where normally you assign a number, and nothing comes up. I can clear all, and then auto-assign (at which point I still can't see any numbers on the drop-down thing on the left of the player name, but players do have numbers on their profile screens).

Very annoying and inexplicable.

• SI Staff
Can anyone help with this? I know it may seem minor but it's exactly the sort of irritant that will really ruin the game for me. Seems such a stupid reason to lose an 8-season save.

Edit: to be a bit clearer about the issue, I've got to the news item where I have to submit my squad numbers for the season. I go to the squad numbers screen, click on the drop-down where normally you assign a number, and nothing comes up. I can clear all, and then auto-assign (at which point I still can't see any numbers on the drop-down thing on the left of the player name, but players do have numbers on their profile screens).

Very annoying and inexplicable.

Could you open a new thread about this in the Bugs Forum - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/369-All-Other-Issues

If you could upload a save game where this is happening onto our FTP too and someone will have a look into it. Thanks.

It will be difficult for anyone to give you advice when you've not given in information except thatched you're conceding a lot. Best to ask in the tactics forum. Remember to post a screenshot of your tactic.

Actually, if you don't want to create a thread, maybe just read these two excellent posts stickied in the tactics forum:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/366111-How-to-Play-FM14-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-The-Complete-Series

Could you open a new thread about this in the Bugs Forum - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/369-All-Other-Issues

If you could upload a save game where this is happening onto our FTP too and someone will have a look into it. Thanks.

Thanks - as it happens, I've just discovered the source of the issue! I use a custom view on the squad select screen, which apparently was interfering with the squad select screen (not the first issue I've had with custom views, for what it's worth).

I switched the view back to the General Info one and it works fine again. What a relief!

Archived