Minimum Expectations - Overly optimistic

I find the minimum expectations from the Board to be overly optimistic, even for my Man Utd side. In the first season, the UCL minimum expectation was the final. I laughed when I saw it. It was the same with the FA Cup. Every season these are our minimum expectations, which is rather a tough task to live up to each season. The FA Cup draw is a real crapshoot, riding on a wave of good or bad luck, depending on whether you're drawn at home against an L2 side, or away at Stamford Bridge or the City Ground. And then there's the UCL, the toughest competition of all, with the likes of Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Juve, PSG etc. Having our minimum expectation as the Final was laughable in season 1. Even with winning it 3 times out of 4 seasons, I still find it's a tough mountain to climb to reach the final, knowing that winning such a tough comp. will only satisfy the Board, as they expected to win it from the start. We were just knocked out of the FA Cup by City at their ground in the 6th round, but we played well and it easily could have gone our way. I then noticed my Confidence rating dropped from 63% to 62%, obviously because we were knocked out before our Board's overly optimistic Final expectation. It means that winning these tough competitions is only meeting a requirement, rather than accomplishing a great feat.

If you don't like such expectations, don't play as Man U... Just take real life into account, fans are rampant this season because they do expect to win everything every year at the minimum. Winning breeds the expectation to win more and you have taken over a team that wins a lot in recent history, It is not unreasonable expectations at all. Try to be objective...

In fairness expecting the CL final is a bit mad, but strong progress should be expected.

It'd be very interesting if they could make the cup expectations more fluid, though, to go along with the luck of the draw. I mean, the board shouldn't be too harsh should you loose early in the CL with a unlucky draw of say Barca(or any football super power) in an earlier round than they asked for.

That's what I was saying. To expect to get to the final of the UCL every season, and then downgrading their confidence in you if you miss that for the first time in 4 seasons as an example, imo is a bit harsh. I'd be bored if we won every thing each season irl, so I don't get all bratty on the side if we don't win anything for a season. The fall from grace we've had irl this season is a reason to be worried, and lose confidence in the manager, but only when it gets as bad as is has. What's a high Confidence rating for this game btw? After all I've won with Man Utd (late in season 5 atm) on this save, including 4 straight EPL titles, a 5th looking on the cards, three UCL titles (currently in the Semi's this season), 3 FA Cups, 3 Capital One Cups, 3 CWC, 2 Super Cups, my Confidence is at 62%, dropping down from 66% at the start of the season. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to raise it even over 70%, looking at it's drop this season, with just the 6th rd exit in the FA Cup at City being currently the only thing we've been knocked out of.

Playing as a team like United, to get it really high, you seem to need to be basically tearing the football world to shreds.

My current save is Bradford PA, and I'm at 81%-Untouchable, and to get to that, I'm leading the league(Skrill Prem, had them promoted earlier) despite being predicted for relegation, and am far deeper in the cups than I have any real right to be, still in the FA Cup in the new year being the big one.

• Administrators

Manchester United are one of the biggest sides (in the world, in-game), so these expectations are not so unrealistic. The league form generally dictates your overall confidence, so if you perform there (or better), then a drop elsewhere should be okay. Also, if you are knocked out early by a big side, the board should recognize this in their confidence updates.

Manchester United are one of the biggest sides (in the world, in-game), so these expectations are not so unrealistic. The league form generally dictates your overall confidence, so if you perform there (or better), then a drop elsewhere should be okay. Also, if you are knocked out early by a big side, the board should recognize this in their confidence updates.

Yeah they do, in one of my Liverpool games we were knocked out of the FA Cup in round 3, despite having the mandate to get to the finals but they forgave me because it was to Man City.

Thanks for the replies. My overall confidence rating jumped to 68% end of last season, but had dropped down to 61% now in the pre-season. Is that normal? I sold Kagawa who was nearing 30 and who had an average season in the last one. I brought in Viktor Fischer as a replacement, who looks really good to fill in his boots. Outside of that, not much else has happened apart from bringing in a few young highly promising lads, and those who just came from loan spells. I'm just wondering what the dynamic was to drop my Confidence level 7 points from 68% to 61% overnight; just a curiosity.

Archived