Pre Qualifying for European Championships or World Cup in UEFA region.

sheeshy

Hello!

TLDR: How do you create a pre-qualifying tournament?

Further detail - As you're all aware, the Euro 2016 draw took place on Sunday, and I had an idea for a project. Every qualifying draw these days the same idea is brought up. The weaker nations in Europe (generally the bottom 8) should have to pre-qualify, as they'll get more games (and wins) against teams at their level, rather than being outclassed 99.99% of the time.

I was thinking how I can create this in FM, as I'd be interested to see how it works, and if any long term effects to the usual bottom 8 are seen. Perhaps over time, a new bottom 8 will emerge. Perhaps San Marino will rack up a win or two every time the mini tournament rolls around etc.

So, I was thinking 8 teams in 2 groups of 4 round robin with the winners of each group joining the "top 46" to make 48 teams playing in 8 groups of 6 with the top 2 advancing to the 16 team format we know and love. Having a host nation isn't important to me.

I can work out how to get the 48 teams into 16, and the 16 into the knockouts but I can't work out how to a) pull the lowest 8 teams out, make them have a tournament and b) pick the 2 teams that qualify, add them to the 46 teams that didn't pre-qualify and then go from there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello!

Further detail - As you're all aware, the Euro 2016 draw took place on Sunday, and I had an idea for a project. Every qualifying draw these days the same idea is brought up. The weaker nations in Europe (generally the bottom 8) should have to pre-qualify, as they'll get more games (and wins) against teams at their level, rather than being outclassed 99.99% of the time.

I was thinking how I can create this in FM, as I'd be interested to see how it works, and if any long term effects to the usual bottom 8 are seen. Perhaps over time, a new bottom 8 will emerge. Perhaps San Marino will rack up a win or two every time the mini tournament rolls around etc.

So, I was thinking 8 teams in 2 groups of 4 round robin with the winners of each group joining the "top 46" to make 48 teams playing in 8 groups of 6 with the top 2 advancing to the 16 team format we know and love. Having a host nation isn't important to me.

I can work out how to get the 48 teams into 16, and the 16 into the knockouts but I can't work out how to a) pull the lowest 8 teams out, make them have a tournament and b) pick the 2 teams that qualify, add them to the 46 teams that didn't pre-qualify and then go from there.

Hey bro how's it going?...I actually did something similar when I created a separate International Cup so let me see if I can help you ( since when i needed help i could never find anything that would help me so i learned through trial and a lot of error!!)

ok here goes...1st look up for any cup competition that is extinct( look under competitions in editor and just write down cup...there you will see cups and it will say if it is extinct or not. Also remember the competition you are editing, you will need it later!!)

Now edit the completion name and history..make sure that under type you change to international qualifiers.

ok now lets start composing the tournament. Go to Add International rules

1. Under Competitions -pick the competition you edited (lets say you named it Euro Qualifying) so you pick that1

2. Click on Euro Qualifying and then you add the teams you want

3. Go to General - pick the year interval (4- for every 4 yrs) - Number of teams - Draw date

4. Match rules/Discipline rules - however you want that

5. Do the stages you want for the rest of the qualifying tournament.

ok that it for that file. now you're gonna start a new file soooo Load database ( don't forget to save your competition!!!)

ok so now that you are starting the new file go to

1. Add International Rules

2. Click on Competitions and hit Add on lower right side ( you will see that in put Belgian Pro League, don't worry about that.)

3. Go to General under Belgian Pro League- now where it says competition you're gonna search for World Cup Euro Qualyfying.

and for type put International Qualifiers. Do not put anything for Finals competition.

Year interval (4) number of teams (48) 46 number of Euro Nations plus the 2 from your qualifying tournament.

4. Now that you changed the competiton from Belgian Pro League to World Cup Qly... you can click on WCQ under competitons on left hand side.-- now enter the 46 Euro teams that were not in your tournament..for the last 2 under type put " Last winner and Last Runner up. Now under competition make sure you put the original competition name that you edited(remember i said to remember the competition you edited 1st!..)

There now you just make the break down of the Qualifying competition!!...that should work

Hello!

this can be done but only with advanced editor. also host nation is not problem. i know how to do this but dont have enough time. maybe in the future...

if you know even basics of advanced editor - i can help you

Hey bro how's it going?...I actually did something similar when I created a separate International Cup so let me see if I can help you ( since when i needed help i could never find anything that would help me so i learned through trial and a lot of error!!)

ok here goes...1st look up for any cup competition that is extinct( look under competitions in editor and just write down cup...there you will see cups and it will say if it is extinct or not. Also remember the competition you are editing, you will need it later!!)

Now edit the completion name and history..make sure that under type you change to international qualifiers.

ok now lets start composing the tournament. Go to Add International rules

1. Under Competitions -pick the competition you edited (lets say you named it Euro Qualifying) so you pick that1

2. Click on Euro Qualifying and then you add the teams you want

3. Go to General - pick the year interval (4- for every 4 yrs) - Number of teams - Draw date

4. Match rules/Discipline rules - however you want that

5. Do the stages you want for the rest of the qualifying tournament.

ok that it for that file. now you're gonna start a new file soooo Load database ( don't forget to save your competition!!!)

ok so now that you are starting the new file go to

1. Add International Rules

2. Click on Competitions and hit Add on lower right side ( you will see that in put Belgian Pro League, don't worry about that.)

3. Go to General under Belgian Pro League- now where it says competition you're gonna search for World Cup Euro Qualyfying.

and for type put International Qualifiers. Do not put anything for Finals competition.

Year interval (4) number of teams (48) 46 number of Euro Nations plus the 2 from your qualifying tournament.

4. Now that you changed the competiton from Belgian Pro League to World Cup Qly... you can click on WCQ under competitons on left hand side.-- now enter the 46 Euro teams that were not in your tournament..for the last 2 under type put " Last winner and Last Runner up. Now under competition make sure you put the original competition name that you edited(remember i said to remember the competition you edited 1st!..)

There now you just make the break down of the Qualifying competition!!...that should work

Thanks for your reply, I'll try this when I have a moment this week. Seems to make sense! Also, does your method allow for the bottom 8 to change dynamically over time, or is it always the same 8?

• 1 month later...

Archived