Sports Interactive Community
Methos

What role MC was David Platt and Paul Gascoigne?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask - I couldn't choose between this and the off topic.

I was wondering for the older guys, what type of a midfielder using current in game roles, was David Platt and Paul Gascoigne?

Perhaps two of the most famous midfielders of their time.

Also is there a player nowadays that their playstyle matches any of those two footballers?

I would say Platt was a Box to Box midfielder with a ppm of "arrives late in opposition area".

Gazza.... bloomin hell. There'a a question. I suppose an Advanced Playmaker in the midfield line with loads of ppm's.

"Plays one-two's"

"Shoots from distance"

"Shoots with power"

"Tries killer balls often"

"Tries long range free kicks"

"Tries long range passes"

"Tries to play way out of trouble"

"Argues with officials"

[Edit]

Fat Frank is probably a new improved version of David Platt. Quite a few similarities. (Or at least he was in his pomp).

I have never seen anything like Gazza, (before or since), and probably won't do.

IMO Platt was a box to box MC while I guess Gascoigne would be an advanced playmaker.

EDIT

Woohoo, Jimbo agrees :D

Platt's game was all about making runs from midfield into the box. Tim Cahill was a recent player who played similarly. CM attack or Shadow Striker attack if played as a AM.

Gascoigne was a mix of technique and strength both Gerrard and Rooney have things in common with him. Attacking mid attack or Advanced play-maker attack.

I would say Platt was a Box to Box midfielder with a ppm of "arrives late in opposition area".

Gazza.... bloomin hell. There'a a question. I suppose an Advanced Playmaker in the midfield line with loads of ppm's.

"Plays one-two's"

"Shoots from distance"

"Shoots with power"

"Argues with officials"

[Edit]

Fat Frank is probably a new improved version of David Platt. Quite a few similarities. (Or at least he was in his pomp).

I have never seen anything like Gazza, (before or since), and probably won't do.

you forget dives into tackles for Gazza

"Plays one-two's"

"Shoots from distance"

"Shoots with power"

"Argues with officials"

[Edit]

Have you read "Tales From The Secret Footballer"? Great bit in that about Gazza - paints him in a new light (or a light that has been long forgotten). Essentially, first-hand stories from fellow players indicate he was an incredible trainer, driven on to train so hard _because_ he was so talented. Enormously talented by all accounts.

Have you read "Tales From The Secret Footballer"? Great bit in that about Gazza - paints him in a new light (or a light that has been long forgotten). Essentially, first-hand stories from fellow players indicate he was an incredible trainer, driven on to train so hard _because_ he was so talented. Enormously talented by all accounts.

I haven't, but it's on the list. Already bought it. Just gotta read it now.

I've read a few autobiographies and all seem to be very complimentary about everything actually football related. It was always just the other stuff. :(

On a serious note you couldn't play them both in FM could you? They played for England together IRL but if they were considered an AP and BBM that's too attacking isn't it?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask - I couldn't choose between this and the off topic.

I was wondering for the older guys, what type of a midfielder using current in game roles, was David Platt and Paul Gascoigne?

Perhaps two of the most famous midfielders of their time.

Also is there a player nowadays that their playstyle matches any of those two footballers?

Drunkards

On a serious note you couldn't play them both in FM could you? They played for England together IRL but if they were considered an AP and BBM that's too attacking isn't it?

You would struggle in FM to play them as a 2 man central midfield - but you could simply add in a holding DM/CM and you would then be fine.

Two of my favourite players! Throw in Hoddle and Waddle and just count the goals! May need the Arsenal back four though.

Is there a PPM for "buys a takeaway for a murderer"?

Best comment I've read in days!

You would struggle in FM to play them as a 2 man central midfield - but you could simply add in a holding DM/CM and you would then be fine.

I'd quite like Gazza in an AMC position in FM.

They played as part of a three man midfield under Robson and Taylor chopped and changed things a lot but always picked both when they were available. Platt would get shifted about out right or up front or on the right of a midfield diamond with Gascoigne as the point.

Oh Gazza... if only England had anyone even close to his talent these days....

If it helps any of the slightly younger guys on here... Zidane always reminded me a lot of Gazza.. strong, endless time on the ball, effortless skill.

Frankly Gazza could have played anywhere, he was that good.

I'd agree with the B2B description for Platt , but also suggest a secondary role of AMC - he played in what we'd now call a Shadow Striker role for England on more than one occasion.

One of my favourite all time saves in the old 'Champ Man' days was on CM Italia, playing a sweeper-based 5-3-2 with Lazio featuring Gazza in midfield and a front three of Florin Raducioiu, Beppe Signori and Alen Boksic. Halcyon days!