Sports Interactive Community
steveneales

Advice on how to give my tactic some attacking bite

I have just finished my first season in the German Third Division with RB Leipzig, I finished second and gained promotion so obviously I'm very happy but here's the thing, my team only scored 55 goals all season, every other team from 12th upwards scored more than me! Granted we did only concede 32 all season also, so I'm very happy with that, it would just be nice to raise our goal tally a bit more.

I'm very happy with my tactic also, it is a possession based tactic, and got me to the quarter finals of German Cup first season, knocking out Ingolstadt, HSV and Hanover along the way, all I need advice on really is how I could squeeze more goals out of it without relinquishing too much possession, I have a feeling its more the player roles that needs changing and not team instructions.

Here is how I line up: (I play Classic so changes won't be too hard to implement)

--------SK(D)--------

FB(S)-CD©-CD(D)-FB(S)

---------HB(D)-------

----B2B(S)-DLP(S)

AP(S)----------IF(A)

----Trequartista-----

Balanced, Control

TI: Play Narrower, Retain Possession, Pass Into Space, Play out of Defence, Stay on Feet, Hassle Opponents, Push Higher Up.

PI: Both CBs: Pass it shorter, GK: Pass it shorter, distribute to defenders.

Myself I think it may be the front three that needs tweaking to get more goals, does any body else have any ideas? Any help appreciated.

First thing I notice is that on the side where you have your IF(A), you could make the FB into a WB(S) or (A) to get more width out of overlapping runs. What kinds of goals were you scoring through the season?

Also, since you will be newly promoted with a side that struggled for goals, you may want to consider changing your tactic philosophy and style to more of a counterattacking play. The way I tend to play is to have 3 versions of the same formation but with different mentalities/philosophies that I can switch in between based on opposition or game scenario.

The majority of my goals were definitely scored by my Trequartista, he managed to score 22 in 36. The second highest was my IF on 7, and then B2B on 5. My IF however racked up 21 assists for the season, so it seems my creativity is mainly coming from him. The person who played my AP for the majority of the season managed 0 goals an 5 assist so I think there's my problem. For the new season in a higher league I'm thinking of switching to a more conservative deep 4-2-3-1 and see how it goes in friendlies. Definitely want to keep the short passing though so counter attacking wouldn't be to useful would it? Never managed to get a short passing counter attacking tactic working, I'll see how it goes, thanks for your input!

I've decided to change the HB to a DM because as a HB my players positioning between the CBs would constantly be awkward. Also decided to change my B2B to a CM(S) to help recycle possession, and also so he wouldn't obstruct my AP's space anymore. As for my AP I've give him the PI's, close down more, sit narrower, and cross less often in a bid to get him more involved because really I want him as my main source of creativity. Thinking about dropping high line as we can't play too much of a high line as a promoted team, plus the control mentality in itself should ensure we are high enough as we need to be.

How active is your DLP(S) at creating chances and building up play? With your Treq and DLP(S), do you need another creator in your AP(S)? It sounds like your tactic is working and I don't like to change things that are working but you can try changing your AP to a W(S) to give you more width and pace down the right. The movement might give your Treq and B2B more space open on the right to maneuver as well.

Also the retain possession shout is very defensive imo. Might want to switch it to shorter passing.

Finally with your halfback you might be able to free up one of your LB/RB to be on attack duty to give you more width. I'd like to get more width on the IF side cause hes gonna be cutting inside but he is on attack duty as well. I would either put him on IF(S) w/ a LB(A) behind him or put a RB(A) on the other side.

The majority of my goals were definitely scored by my Trequartista, he managed to score 22 in 36. The second highest was my IF on 7, and then B2B on 5. My IF however racked up 21 assists for the season, so it seems my creativity is mainly coming from him. The person who played my AP for the majority of the season managed 0 goals an 5 assist so I think there's my problem. For the new season in a higher league I'm thinking of switching to a more conservative deep 4-2-3-1 and see how it goes in friendlies. Definitely want to keep the short passing though so counter attacking wouldn't be to useful would it? Never managed to get a short passing counter attacking tactic working, I'll see how it goes, thanks for your input!

It's not a 100% dedicated to counter attacks, because I'm still trying to maintain some level control/patience, but I create a good amount of CCC per game and get lots of deadly counterattacks against most teams. I'm by no means an expert on FM tactics (not even close) and a lot of my success is probably down to squad strength, but for me it kind of proves that you can play a counter attacking style with short passes shout. Usually I play with a more attack minded player at LB, but that one is currently injured.

ewljhg7i.jpg

WBs are on dribble less. DLP and Treq are on more direct passes, outer AMs in the narrow version are on move into channels and my keeper is on distribute to defenders. Looking at the screen I realize that my mentality should be more rigid according to the 12step guide.

The results start in the middle of the season because that's when I implemented the tactic.

How active is your DLP(S) at creating chances and building up play? With your Treq and DLP(S), do you need another creator in your AP(S)? It sounds like your tactic is working and I don't like to change things that are working but you can try changing your AP to a W(S) to give you more width and pace down the right. The movement might give your Treq and B2B more space open on the right to maneuver as well.

Also the retain possession shout is very defensive imo. Might want to switch it to shorter passing.

Finally with your halfback you might be able to free up one of your LB/RB to be on attack duty to give you more width. I'd like to get more width on the IF side cause hes gonna be cutting inside but he is on attack duty as well. I would either put him on IF(S) w/ a LB(A) behind him or put a RB(A) on the other side.

What he said. Furthermore, try experimenting with a defensive/counter mentality instead of control to give yourself more time/space on the ball. Especially with a single treq up front. Get rid of retain and I'd even loose the hassle instruction as well in favour of giving carefully selected personal instructions to individual players (close down more, tight marking). This way you can control your pressing phase much better without the risk of loosing formation which in turn should give a much better starting point when you retrieve possesion.

I hadn't thought of using Defensive before, I know a mod on here used it to great success, Cleon was it? Anyway, I always assumed Defensive would be counter productive to a possession system, won't be the line be very deep an all players passing style changed automatically to direct?

Negative about the first part! It certainly isn't counter productive towards retaining possesion. Quite the opposite actually as it refrains your players from making hasty/risky passes up field. Somewhat true about the direct passing, although only true for defensive players on supporting roles I think it is. And you can 'bypass' this with personal instructions, IE shorter passing for DC's and fullbacks.

And yes, I learned about this approach from Cleon a long time ago :D Find some of his older threads (can't remember which) where he describes this more accurately ;)