Can this guy play as a Target Man?

I'm playing a control/fluid flat 4-4-2 which I had great success with in a previous save, using a strike partnership of TMs and AFa. I've had this guy as my Target Man for a while but he's not really performing as well as he should. My coaches are telling me he is an AF anyway, but obviously I need a TM/DLF/CFs to compliment my AF. This guy has a basic requirement, like all good TMs; to be a big target for my playmakers going forward, to win aerial challenges and knock the ball down for my AF to score.

The main reason I picked him as a Target Man: at 196cm he's really tall, the tallest player on my team. He also has great Jumping Reach and Strength, and decent Heading, all key attributes for a TM as far as I was concerned. As you can see in the second screen the strongest area of his game is his "Aerial Ability" which is surely the most important for a 196cm Target Man. What other stats should I be looking for in a Target Man? Are Passing and Positioning that important for a TM?

2f0bnl3.png

21lqxas.png

Finally, how much should I read into Coach Reports and their Star Ratings? I swear 90% of strikers in my save have their primary role as "Advanced Forward" and I haven't seen a single DLF in FM14 yet when there were loads in FM13. DLF/CFs are my favourite type of strikers, yet I don't want to force strikers who, according to my coaches are "4 star" Advanced Forwards but only "3 Star" Deep Lying Forwards etc.

Ridiculously low aggression and Bravery will let him down as a Target Man. That's one of the worst things about regens, they often have unbalanced stats. Seems ridiculous (if not impossible) to have a beast of a man scared of his own shadow.

Passing will probably be more important as a TM/S than as a TM/A. I don't think positioning will matter much, as it's a defensive attribute. The attacking equivalent is "off the ball" if I'm not mistaken.

I have also seen the phenomenon where your assman thinks just about every striker should be an AF, even ones who can't cross for sh*t or are awful in the air. I've seen the same thing at other positions too. Wide defenders who would supposedly make great CWBs despite poor dribbling and crossing, CMs who are considered DLPs when their defensive attributes are weak, etc.

I would say not to pay too much attention to coach star ratings either, they tend to average out attributes at the risk of completely glossing over the fact that one important attribute might be dire. Handy tip: If you go to a player's training tab on their development section, you can highlight which attributes are trained for each position. I find the graph to be a really useful representation of suitability for a role (plus you can add other attributes to the graph for anything specific you need) and compare them quickly to other roles.

It does have its limitations though, often a limited version of a position will need fewer attributes but will be less effective. In particular full backs always appear on the graph to be worse than limited full backs, though that clearly isn't the case!

I don't think it's just a straight average of all key attributes. If that were the case I certainly wouldn't be seeing so many DLPs, AFs, and CWBs.

It definitely takes footedness into account as well. If you look at a guy's "best role" at AML and AMR they will often be different.

Would you consider playing him as a CF(S)?

I've played many a TM type striker as CF(S) to offer more to the build up play of my team, although admittedly my TM strikers were usually big brutes that are good in the air, slow but are good creatively and can finish.

I know your striker isn't great creatively but 9 passing and 11 creativity isn't too terrible, and the rest of his game is very good (aerial, finishing and pace). As a CF(S) he will get about and use his physical stature to bully defenders and create space for the AF, and he will use his pace and finishing to be mobile and score a fair number of goals for you.

Personally I've usually used a CF(S) rather than a TM(S) in a 4-4-2 as I preferred the way they link up play with the midfield, but you obviously got a TM(S) working nicely for you so it's really up to you!

Ridiculously low aggression and Bravery will let him down as a Target Man. That's one of the worst things about regens, they often have unbalanced stats. Seems ridiculous (if not impossible) to have a beast of a man scared of his own shadow.

His decision making is pretty poor too.

Would you consider playing him as a CF(S)?

I've played many a TM type striker as CF(S) to offer more to the build up play of my team, although admittedly my TM strikers were usually big brutes that are good in the air, slow but are good creatively and can finish.

I know your striker isn't great creatively but 9 passing and 11 creativity isn't too terrible, and the rest of his game is very good (aerial, finishing and pace). As a CF(S) he will get about and use his physical stature to bully defenders and create space for the AF, and he will use his pace and finishing to be mobile and score a fair number of goals for you.

Personally I've usually used a CF(S) rather than a TM(S) in a 4-4-2 as I preferred the way they link up play with the midfield, but you obviously got a TM(S) working nicely for you so it's really up to you!

I prefer CFs's in general as well for the same reason, I just don't think this guy has the all round stats to perform that effectively, the poor Passing stat especially lets him down. I was hoping through sheer size and aerial ability he'd make up for his shortcomings in other areas (Passing, Crossing, Teamwork, Creativity) and perform the relatively simple job of TM.

I'm just not sure this guy is cut out for Support duty in general so I have two options:

1. I could switch both strikers to Attack duty, the only time I've ever made that work is with Trequartista/Poacher combo though.

2. This is one I think I'll go with...switch Marcus to a TMa and have my secondary striker switch to a CFs, here he is:

sy5x8g.png

Strong Off the Ball, Passing and Dribbling but weak Teamwork, Creativity and Decisions. Guess you can't have everything.

I've only ever used Target Man with a Support duty though so I'll be interested to see how Marcus performs now.

Archived