4-2-3-1 Deep formations - few questions

Hello all,

I could use a bit of help with my tactic. It isn't going very bad, but it's not going great either. I have pretty high posession, but I don't seem to be able to get a clear difference in chances. I'm a medior in my league.

I basically use 2 different formations of which 4-2-3-1 is my favourite (I also have 4-5-1 (1 DMC, 2MC, AML/AMR/SC)).

The strange thing is it worked great before, but I didnt play for a while and now it's going much harder to get good results.

In the link you can see the tactic and instructions.

4_2_3_1.png

My 4-5-1 looks like this.

4_1_2_2_1.png

I chose for pushing up high and hassle to close the gap on the midfield a bit more. It makes me a bit more vunurable, so I could try to swith one of both off.

The tempo is unchanged. I play on posession, but I don't want to lower it which would give the opponent time to get into posession. So maybe turn it to high tempo?

And how would you adjust the 4-2-3-1 when you play much stronger teams?

With kind regards,

Werner

I think You shouldn't use hit early crosses without target man up. If you want You can drill them and go byline with winger. :) I am maybe wrong but it works for me.

In the deep 4231 formation I would try Pass Into Space in addition or as alternative to Shorter Passing. I would switch the DLP to the left hand side and use DM-D on the right hand side. You should consider using Balanced fluidity.

Analyzing my matches, the thing that worries me the most is the fact that my opponent easily drops the ball behind my defence, hence creating a 1 on 1 very easily.

I could drop the "push higher up" and "hassle", but that give my the idea the gaps on the midfield will only grow larger...

I think retain possession is an awful shout to use with this set up, it kind of lends itself to a more direct approach, you don't have to play more direct, but it's not a formation for playing keep ball. If it were me I'd be looking for the two Defensive midfielders to break up play, and make a quick transition from defense to attack.

I think retain possession is an awful shout to use with this set up, it kind of lends itself to a more direct approach, you don't have to play more direct, but it's not a formation for playing keep ball. If it were me I'd be looking for the two Defensive midfielders to break up play, and make a quick transition from defense to attack.

What do you mean by the two defensive midfielders breaking up play?

Well you have to players in the Defensive Midfield Strata, sitting in front of your back 4. The are going to be there to break down opponents attacks, the last thing I would want is to try and start playing keep ball, you would want your deep lying playmaker to ping balls out to the wings etc to start quick attacks. Or at least that is how I see it.

I think you've got too many instructions that contradict your overall vision. For example in the first image you've got a tactic on "standard" mentality, yet you've instructed the team to hassle, push higher, and play at a higher tempo. That sounds to me like you need to be playing a more aggressive approach like control or attacking. Less is more!

Otherwise I don't see much issue with your role/duty selection. I would be wary of a BWM but you've got a DLP-S next to him so that isn't too bad.

I think you've got too many instructions that contradict your overall vision. For example in the first image you've got a tactic on "standard" mentality, yet you've instructed the team to hassle, push higher, and play at a higher tempo. That sounds to me like you need to be playing a more aggressive approach like control or attacking. Less is more!

Otherwise I don't see much issue with your role/duty selection. I would be wary of a BWM but you've got a DLP-S next to him so that isn't too bad.

Yet you've done the same in your tactic minus the higher tempo :D