Penalty Shootout - Bug or Not in game...

When a game goes to penalty shootout by the laws of the game if a side ends the game with more players than the other team (red card, injury after making all subs) then one player from the side with more players will be selected and take no part at all in the shootout to even up the numbers.

I've just got to a penalty shoot out with my Cambridge side against Premier League Stoke. During extra time Stoke had a man go off injured after making all the subs leaving them with ten men. The shootout had 20 perfect penalties and was at 10-10 when my keeper stepped up to take his kick (penalty taking 2) and missed. Then as Stoke ha just ten players the man who took their first spot kick stepped up and scored. His penalty taking rating is 16.

penalties_zpse015d6ad.png

Disappointing way to exit the competition.

When a game goes to penalty shootout by the laws of the game if a side ends the game with more players than the other team (red card, injury after making all subs) then one player from the side with more players will be selected and take no part at all in the shootout to even up the numbers.

Doesn't work that way. Laws of the game state that all players who are on the pitch after extra time are eligible to take penalty kicks. If you have more players on the pitch you do not get to exclude a player. So the games was right to have your goalkeeper take the penalty, where your opponent was allowed to have their best taker take it.

Page 54 and 55 of : http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

Doesn't work that way. Laws of the game state that all players who are on the pitch after extra time are eligible to take penalty kicks. If you have more players on the pitch you do not get to exclude a player. So the games was right to have your goalkeeper take the penalty, where your opponent was allowed to have their best taker take it.

Page 54 and 55 of : http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

Now if you read page 56 it states...

'When a team finishes the match with a greater number of players than their opponents, they shall reduce their numbers to equate with that of their opponents and inform the referee of the name and number of each player excluded. The team captain has this responsibility.'

As a referee myself I am aware of the rule, although you had me worried for a second.

That's totally true, the referee chooses. In many ways in bigger games it normally the police the that 'offer their thoughts' before the game in terms of safety etc. The coin toss is purely do you want to go first or second.

Another thing i'd love in FM in regards to penalty shootouts is when all 11 players have taken the game automatically makes the guy you picked first take the 12th penalty then 2nd takes the 1th etc, but in real life after every player has taken you get to choose a different order. I normally have my best takers taking penalty 3 and penalty 5 so if it get as far a 11 pens each my 12th penalty would ideally be taken by my main taker, not my first choice in the shootout.

Now if you read page 56 it states...

'When a team finishes the match with a greater number of players than their opponents, they shall reduce their numbers to equate with that of their opponents and inform the referee of the name and number of each player excluded. The team captain has this responsibility.'

As a referee myself I am aware of the rule, although you had me worried for a second.

I stopped reading at the end of page 55, completely missed 56. Never knew about this, interesting!

Interesting stuff Kris. I certainly didn't know that. :applause:

It sounds like it is a bug. I would add it into the bugs forum and let them have a look for themselves, (with relevant linkage). It's possible that they know about it already and it is should be in but just isn't working properly, but maybe also possible that it's never been worked in.

But I wish it was. The same as taking free kick from inside a goal area. Should be taken from edge of the box, not from the foul spot. This rule also isn't implemented, although I posted it in bugs forums 6 years ago... sigh...

But I wish it was. The same as taking free kick from inside a goal area. Should be taken from edge of the box, not from the foul spot. This rule also isn't implemented, although I posted it in bugs forums 6 years ago... sigh...

I'm quite sure this is wrong.

If a free kick is made inside the goal area it's a penalty.

If e.g. a back pass is made and the goalie picks up the ball inside the goal area it's an indirect free kick and is taken at the foul spot. You're not allowed to kick the ball directly in the net (hence the name - indirect) but you have to pass it to another player who can kick the ball in.

Sorry but this is not the case.

If the foul would have resulted in a direct free-kick then a penalty is awarded.

If the foul would have resulted in an indirect free-kick, then an indirect free-kick is awarded in the same spot.

It's why you have seen 10 players plus the GK on the goal-line trying to block an indirect free-kick that is about to be tapped and then smashed on the 6 yard line. :lol:

I'm quite sure this is wrong.

If a free kick is made inside the goal area it's a penalty.

If e.g. a back pass is made and the goalie picks up the ball inside the goal area it's an indirect free kick and is taken at the foul spot. You're not allowed to kick the ball directly in the net (hence the name - indirect) but you have to pass it to another player who can kick the ball in.

I think Rem-8 is referring to a foul on a player inside his OWN penalty box, hence a free-kick. Although I've never heard of that being taken from the edge of the box.

I think Rem-8 is referring to a foul on a player inside his OWN penalty box, hence a free-kick. Although I've never heard of that being taken from the edge of the box.

Huh, never heard nor seen anything like that. What I have seen, though, is free kicks against defenders and goalies inside their own goal area and these free kicks have to be taken at the foul spot.

Archived