Spain 2012 Tiki-Taka

Trying to make the tactic Spain used on the European championship, I have a few dilemmas.

7NwfCDF.jpg

First one is Mentality. Counter, Control, Standard? Then, pressing. They pressed a lot, but last year's hassle could ruin their shape totally, which didn't happen during games. Last one would be the "wingers". They could be playmakers, since it suits their characteristics best, but since this FM doesn't allow selection of pref. playmaker, that role may be too much. I was thinking something like this:

aT4YRh8.jpg

Any opinions?

Where are the forward runners?

Not sure I completely understand :/

I would consider using Busquets as half-back. As for the wingers, what about trying to use them as Inside forwards and playing with their individual instructions?

Busquets as a HB is an option, also. Ins fw with instructions from above, or default ins fw?

Alonso played alongside Xavi, with Busquests behind them (in a HB role as above). In addition, it's generally accepted that Iniesta is more of an IF than a Winger.

And finally - didn't they actually play strikerless (other than when Torres was on)? So perhaps a Treq in the AMC postion?

I'd be inclined to have Alba as a CWB & Arbeloa on Support.

Alonso played alongside Xavi, with Busquests behind them (in a HB role as above). In addition, it's generally accepted that Iniesta is more of an IF than a Winger.

And finally - didn't they actually play strikerless (other than when Torres was on)? So perhaps a Treq in the AMC postion?

Alonso played along side Busquests morealess with Xavi in front of them due to how deep Alonso was;

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/10/spain-1-1-italy-spain-start-with-no-striker-italy-use-a-3-5-2/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/28/spain-0-0-portugal-portugal-upset-spains-rhythm-but-fail-to-record-a-shot-on-target/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/24/spain-2-0-france-blancs-double-right-back-plan-fails/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/18/spain-1-0-croatia-navas-snatches-late-winner/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/07/02/spain-4-0-italy-euro-2012-tactics/

He is correct in using a DLP as a DMC imo but the other should be a half back if he truly wants to replicate it.

All the above links should give the OP a better understanding of how players played etc :)

As for the shape, I have to disagree. Xabi was closer to Busqets' than Xavi's position, his role was to connect the defensive and offensive part of the team.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/07/02/spain-4-0-italy-euro-2012-tactics/

They didn't quite play strikerless, Fabregas was actually playing as a false nine, his primary position was upfront, but he was going back, creating space for others to jump in. Alba could be a CWB.

As for more disciplined, could do. Generally, creativity was already high because of two (four) playmakers. Any advice on mentality?

I would agree that Alonso was playing more alongside Busquets. Do you think Regista would be the role to best replicate how he played? For me the roles were:

Arbeloa= WB-S

Pique & Ramos= CD-D

Alba= WB-A

Busquets= HB-D

Alonso= Regista

Xavi= AP-A

Iniesta & Silva= IF-S

Fabregas= F9

I would agree that Alonso was playing more alongside Busquets. Do you think Regista would be the role to best replicate how he played? For me the roles were:

Arbeloa= WB-S

Pique & Ramos= CD-D

Alba= WB-A

Busquets= HB-D

Alonso= Regista

Xavi= AP-A

Iniesta & Silva= IF-S

Fabregas= F9

I'd agree with all of that especially the regista role when you need more emphasis on going forward rather than more defensive duties that the DLP offers.

How about Arbeloa FB-S? He didn't look like a wing back to me, his forward runs ended somewhere around the centre of the pitch, his movement was definitely different from Alba's. Speaking of Busquets, isn't there a "bug" with HB making central defenders behave badly?

Team instructions tend to be bigger issue, I'm not sure about mentality, maybe even fluidity. Counter mentality would pull the whole team back, making them build their play slowly from defence, while Control has to be considered, given the description it has in the game. Also, hassle opponents, yes or no? And why :D I have a feeling that hassle would create mess with the defenders, because their pressing leaves too much space that the Spanish never left. Maybe their pressing could be replicated only through opposition instructions?

Inside forwards like this? Or "normal" ones?

I'd agree with all of that especially the regista role when you need more emphasis on going forward rather than more defensive duties that the DLP offers.

I'm just not sure on Fabregas' role being a F9 or perhaps Treq.

How about Arbeloa FB-S? He didn't look like a wing back to me, his forward runs ended somewhere around the centre of the pitch, his movement was definitely different from Alba's. Speaking of Busquets, isn't there a "bug" with HB making central defenders behave badly?

Team instructions tend to be bigger issue, I'm not sure about mentality, maybe even fluidity. Counter mentality would pull the whole team back, making them build their play slowly from defence, while Control has to be considered, given the description it has in the game. Also, hassle opponents, yes or no? And why :D I have a feeling that hassle would create mess with the defenders, because their pressing leaves too much space that the Spanish never left. Maybe their pressing could be replicated only through opposition instructions?

Inside forwards like this? Or "normal" ones?

With a Balanced Fluidity, WB-S plays differently than WB-A. In addition, you have to consider the PPMs Alba and Arbeloa have in the game. Arbeloa still pushed forward and was overlapping in some instances, just not as much as Alba.

Spain's fluidity and mentality are Balanced/Control for me. The Team Instructions in the OP are good enough for the most part, but I would personally remove Much Lower Tempo and Be More Expressive. I don't think Hassle Opponents is necessarily needed. I would just have individual players close down more.

Archived