Sports Interactive Community

hi guys, you might remember I created a thread a long time ago: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/307773-Can-I-Install-Older-Games-on-Windows-7

I appear to say at the bottom that it worked, well since then my PC has had to be repaired thus losing eveything on it so I just now tried to install FM2007 again, using the method that worked last time, worked again, so I have installed the game, no problem.

As I go to load it, I get the following message:

'Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application'

anyone know why this is?

not overly important but just wanted to take a trip down memory lane and look up some of my old saves :)

If it worked before on the same pc, prior to the repair, then the problem is (I would suggest) with the pc, and not the game. Go through and make sure all drivers/direct x etc are up to date and see if that helps...

If it worked before on the same pc, prior to the repair, then the problem is (I would suggest) with the pc, and not the game. Go through and make sure all drivers/direct x etc are up to date and see if that helps...

I've updated everything (windows update) and have direct x 11 installed, still the same problem

I will try on my brothers laptop (also windows 7) later and see if it works.

I tried it on my brothers laptop and it worked, the only thing I did different was when I got the kaspersky security message, on my computer I clicked 'restrict', as that is what 81% of people did (well that's what it said anyway), on the laptop I chose 'allow', I don't know if that's the reason it didn't work on my computer or not?

is there a way I can change that setting?

That could well be something to do with it, if it is seeing part of the game, or the .exe file as a threat, and it is blocking/restricting it.

I'm not familiar with Kaspersky myself, but I would imagine somewhere in the settings, there should be a list of restricted files, and you should be able to remove it from the list there.. Perhaps someone who has Kaspersky could point you in the right direction...

yeah I searched the kaspersky forums and I've sorted that problem and now completely allowed it.

do I need to uninstall then re-install? because it won't let me uninstall it and it won't let me change to a different compatibility setting!

EDIT: I've managed to uninstall it, hope it works!

I wouldnt have thought you had to do either to be honest, at the most I would have expected to reboot the pc, but that's just me..

Hope that works for you

I wouldnt have thought you had to do either to be honest, at the most I would have expected to reboot the pc, but that's just me..

Hope that works for you

thanks I'll let you in a minute, hope its not half screen though (as it was on my brothers laptop)

half screen?!

yeah a black mark each side of the screen, like when you watch an old TV program in HD

no, still not working. still getting the message 'Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application'

yeah a black mark each side of the screen, like when you watch an old TV program in HD

At a guess, that's down to the display being widescreen now, and it isnt set up that way in the default game settings (if it is even possible)

As far as the other thing goes, have you tried running it in different compatibility modes? Seen a few similar problems that were solved by running it in compatibility for Win 2000...

As far as the other thing goes, have you tried running it in different compatibility modes? Seen a few similar problems that were solved by running it in compatibility for Win 2000...

I was trying it on windows 2000, it didn't install in xp but worked in windows 2000 (as I said in the other thread I linked in the OP of this thread), I am now trying to work this game with exactly the same settings of when it worked on my brothers laptop, so its not the settings or the game.

Its frustrating when things like this happen, as it seems very strange why it works on one and not the other.. and apologies, I missed that link in the OP lol Still hunting around on google search, but not found much else of use yet...

Its frustrating when things like this happen, as it seems very strange why it works on one and not the other.. and apologies, I missed that link in the OP lol Still hunting around on google search, but not found much else of use yet...

its okay mate, I appreciate your help, as I said before I just want to rekindle some memories of old saves so its not important, although I wanted to show my mate (and prove to him) that I won the league in both China and Brazil! :D

I'm thinking of getting myself a laptop soon so I might be able to play it soon!

I think this one is my last suggestion...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/error-messagethe-installer-is-unable-to-run-in/3e19f614-4098-414b-b60a-51b71f284972

Seems to mention some issues that were in the link in the OP too, so maybe that'll be of use.. if not, then I am afraid I am out of ideas..

I think this one is my last suggestion...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/error-messagethe-installer-is-unable-to-run-in/3e19f614-4098-414b-b60a-51b71f284972

Seems to mention some issues that were in the link in the OP too, so maybe that'll be of use.. if not, then I am afraid I am out of ideas..

that's the error message I had when I posted in the other thread, that problem was sorted when tfell suggested running it in windows 2000 and it worked so none of them solutions haven't already been tried, like I said I appreciate your help so don't worry about it :)

tried FM 2008 last night instead, it installed at first but it said there were parts of it that didn't install, the game ran and worked fine but when I turned it off and tried to re-load, I couldn't find the save, so I searched it and it was in the folder 'games' but you couldn't load it, I uninstalled and tried it in vista mode and it worked, the file still went into the 'games' folder but it worked.

just thought I'd say in case anyone wanted to know.

Not sure if you have following these steps or not, but install the game outside of the programs folder (a folder on the desktop called games for example) once installed and patched right click on the .exe and set it to run under administrator if the game still doesn't work correctly set it to compatibility mode for xp or vista and start the game again. These are the normal steps for old games made before vista was released and didn't have patches to update them to the later operating systems.

I've done all you said apart from the installing it to a different folder, I might give it a try but its okay if it doesn't work, I've pretty much given up on it now!

thanks for help :)

Installing in a different folder outside of the programs folder should work, it works for me with very old games and for games that are old and will install and work from the programs folder I find work better when not installed in the programs folder.

There is no sure fire way as the OS is not supported, AFAIK the local workarounds have varied from user to user but the first option is to right click on the .exe & run in compatibility mode.

If that doesn't work head over to the previous versions section of the bugs forum & browse through the threads related to getting older version to run on Windows 10.

As far as I'm aware FM2007 can't be played on Windows 10. This is due to the way Windows 10 has changed the way that Windows handles DRM issues and so most of the older FM games have proved difficult/impossible to get running on Windows 10. secdrv.sys driver cannot now be run or installed on Windows 10.

If you can get on a computer using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 then this is still possible if you don't have the Windows security update KB3086255 installed. This update disables the secdrv.sys driver which allows older games like FM2007 to run. But by uninstalling this you are making your computer more vulnerable so only do so at your own risk.

I only found out myself a couple of days ago when I wanted to play FM2007 for the first time in about 12 months.