Older FM games

Just going through a box of old games and came across a copy of FM10. Trying to install it to see what it's like compared to the current one, but it's not accepting the product code on the back of the instruction manual. I take it this is because I had this installed on my old laptop (before I had Steam), and there's no way round it? Seems a bit naff that I can't play a game I bought, albeit years ago.

Even my FM09 is on Steam so how is your 10 not?

It wasn't until FM12 (or FM13 - I know FM111 didn't) that you were forced to use Steam.

For boxed copies of FM10 and FM11 you could either put the dvd in the drive and play or link it to steam to play without the dvd in the drive.

Cannot remember if FM09 boxed copies also had the option of linking to steam or if Uniloc was the only option? (Though from the fuss I think uniloc was the only option for boxed copies back then)

It wasn't until FM12 (or FM13 - I know FM111 didn't) that you were forced to use Steam.

For boxed copies of FM10 and FM11 you could either put the dvd in the drive and play or link it to steam to play without the dvd in the drive.

Cannot remember if FM09 boxed copies also had the option of linking to steam or if Uniloc was the only option? (Though from the fuss I think uniloc was the only option for boxed copies back then)

Yeah, it gave me the option to link it to Steam once I had entered in the product key.

FM10 probably my favourite version overall.

I remember when it was released it was the least buggy and most polished FM game on day one in the whole series.

It wasn't without its flaws but I still think FM10 is one of the very best. I had such a great deal of fun with it and still play it now and then.

Have fun Dagenham_Dave! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was 2011 that we had to start using steam. That was my first experience with FM (have bought the past 4 now 11-14) and d/l steam with 2011 (never played PC games really before FM11).

FM10 probably my favourite version overall.

I remember when it was released it was the least buggy and most polished FM game on day one in the whole series.

It wasn't without its flaws but I still think FM10 is one of the very best. I had such a great deal of fun with it and still play it now and then.

Have fun Dagenham_Dave! :)

My first FM experience was playing FM10. I loved it!!!! I started on 10.3 after the final patch. I had a fun Worcester City save going. I'm now playing FM13 but I go back to FM10 every now and then.

I became such a fan of Football Manager I collected every version of Championship Manager to Football Manager through ebay. I have a save of CM97/98 running as well.

Jeff

FM05 and FM06 were fantastic games. For an on-off gamer like myself they were the right blend of detail and "click-click-play-click-click-play". I've got back into FM recently and with my laptop not being able to run FM13 or 14 and having had great success with FM12 I decided to go back to FM06 but I couldn't find my disc, just an empty box! As such I got my copy of FM09 and to my joy (and surprise) I don't think I ever played it, I think I bought it, couldn't run it on an old laptop so stuck with FM08 until I got a new laptop for FM10. So now I'm 18 months into an FM09 save game and loving it, just a shame a lot of the tactic stuff for FM09 is lost to dead links.

FM05 and FM06 were fantastic games. For an on-off gamer like myself they were the right blend of detail and "click-click-play-click-click-play". I've got back into FM recently and with my laptop not being able to run FM13 or 14 and having had great success with FM12 I decided to go back to FM06 but I couldn't find my disc, just an empty box! As such I got my copy of FM09 and to my joy (and surprise) I don't think I ever played it, I think I bought it, couldn't run it on an old laptop so stuck with FM08 until I got a new laptop for FM10. So now I'm 18 months into an FM09 save game and loving it, just a shame a lot of the tactic stuff for FM09 is lost to dead links.

If your looking for tactics info you can still find it at www.fm-britain.co.uk. They still have a guide on tactics that can be downloaded.

Jeff

A lot of the older games never cease to amaze me. But the UI, in comparison, is a bit basic for me and that's what stopping me from getting myself immersed.

Still, SI can look back and be proud of some gems they have produced.

• 1 year later...

Archived