Anyone ever seen this happen?

noshots.jpg?psid=1

I've definitely held opponents to no shots before. But:

1) I was in 4th place playing Malaga in 6th.

2) I only had %53 possession.

3) As you can see there were no sending offs.

4) I scored at 45th and 85th minutes.

How is it possible they would go the whole match without even a long range speculative effort?

This is amazing. :D I think the only times I've ever seen sides on all FM getting no shots going was in Cup ties between lower league sides and professionals. Even in matches where I deliberately had everyone sitting back and passing around one of the players eventually was fouled somewhere in the opponent's half which lead to a couple shots.

Could you go on the mach screen, click on match controls, save/export the game as a pkm file and upload it someplace here or elsewhere? http://www.file-upload.net/ Consider me intrigued just as well. :D

This is amazing. :D I think the only times I've ever seen sides on all FM getting no shots going was in Cup ties between lower league sides and professionals. Even in matches where I deliberately had everyone sitting back and passing around one of the players eventually was fouled somewhere in the opponent's half which lead to a couple shots.

Could you go on the mach screen, click on match controls, save/export the game as a pkm file and upload it someplace here or elsewhere? http://www.file-upload.net/ Consider me intrigued just as well. :D

Sent in PM.

FYI on the season for people wondering they have 38 goals in 30 matches with a +7 Gd. Hardly high scoring but no shots is crazy in a match I didn't come close to dominating.

Sent in PM.

Thanks, dunno about the second half, but the first half appears to be a case of the AI outing itself as being not that clever (as opposed to all the claims it would be some kind of super entity that always gets a goal should it want one).

I haven't played in Spain, but the 4-2-2-2 no wingers is an unusual formation for me to see. If you ask me, you see the biggest problem the AI team has right from the kick-off within the first 20 seconds, when it attempts its first attack (and fails). It forces play all through the middle, and you are employing two players in the DM slot. Each attack is cleared up easily, as basically the AI's 2 DMs sit back anyways, and it's all up to the 2 forwards and the two centre midfielders to somehow get something going. At one point the AI somehow still gets through (poor little fella), and is THIS close to making a shot – however your defenders still intercept and clear.

It's this point (the ball carrier is Cortez (10) already being closed down by 2 just outside the box.)

1PFgMQn.jpg

For a wingless formation, the FBs clearly aren't aggressive enough, at this point with the ball just outside the box already not one of them has really pushed up, which makes it even easier to defend for your team.

Dunno about the second half yet, except that the AI did change formation to something employing wingers. Unlike the first half, in which nothing promising appeared to happen for it whatsoever, there were also a couple set pieces in your area from wide positions, which is likely no coincidence as the AI now was employing those wingers rather than going all narrow and forcing everything through the middle. However, nothing came off of those too. :D

Btw, don't look at just the possession stats. Malaga were being pushed back most of the game, likely also in parts because they couldn't keep the ball long in your half by forcing it all through your packed middle. The first half was really really beyond poor by it all around anyway, in big parts due to its tactics too if you ask me.

Yes I noticed the 4-2-2-2 formation coming up more and more against me, especially when I'm the favorite. Basically the other side is going for a pure counter strategy. After some false starts, I've gone with the 'drop deeper, hassle opponents' combo which seems counter-intuitive but its what people are suggesting on the tactics board. The result is the AI pushes up more and it creates some space on the counter.

Yes I noticed the 4-2-2-2 formation coming up more and more against me, especially when I'm the favorite. Basically the other side is going for a pure counter strategy. After some false starts, I've gone with the 'drop deeper, hassle opponents' combo which seems counter-intuitive but its what people are suggesting on the tactics board. The result is the AI pushes up more and it creates some space on the counter.

This likely also makes it far harder for the AI to just get one on the break. However, the choice in formation coupled with the perhaps too often passive FBs, that might be something for SI to look at if that is suddenly some kind of "default" formation you face. There barely-involvement is is also reflected by the crossing attempts: Both FBs combined had three attempts all game, two of which were blocked outright.

About possession, that can be misleading as the stat in isolation isn't broken up into zones. The game does do that however.

7LLbD2T.jpg

Just 13% of play happened in and around your area/third vs the 23% in Malaga's. You had the better of the middle of the park too. In terms of bossing the areas, that looks enough domination for me. So, the 0 shots are intriguing as well, in particular if you consider that there are so many claims of pot shots being made far too readily. But at least in the 1st half this was caused by each attack forced through your sturdy middle and thus just breaking down. Btw, seeing thas this is a match from a distant future, 2023, April the 1st (hah!) how good a team are you vs. Malaga? :)

Lets remember the point of my first post was that they got zero shots without me apparently statistically dominating the game. Certainly throughout my time with FM I've had plenty of zero shot games against me, but those were dramatic mismatches.

To answer the previous question, Malaga was only 2 spots below me in the table when we played this match (4th vs 6th).

Finally, I think the real issue I was trying to point out is, trailing 2 goals to nil (or even 1-0 with 15 minutes left), you'd think the AI would change formation, go to Overload, and at least generate some long range pot shots, rather than lie down and die.

Archived