Thinking of trying something new.

So I have been very boring tactically for a long time. I have played the same basic 442 since the tactic creator was put in back in I think FM10. I want to try some new formations out.

Now the goal is to get my team (Stuttgart in the third season of a journeyman game) to be solid at the back and quick and decisive in attack. We have very good players, but are still a step below Bayern and Dortmund in quality.

On my previous attempts I was really getting hammered and couldn't get my striker any chances at all. I think i thought of retain possession as less of a invitation to attack then it is. As for the striker he was playing to far forward. Here is what I'm thinking of going with:

GK

FB-s CD-d CD-d FB-a

CM-s DLP-d

W-a AM-s W-a

F9-s

Couple this with a rigid/counter philosophy maybe switching to control if need be. I like this because for very tough games I could pull the wingers back to ML/MR spots to help a bit with defense. It's also just something different. I don't really want to mess with a ton of player instructions, but obviously will adjust the roles to the player as long as it doesn't detract from the whole.

Where I'm a bit lost is the team instructions. I was thinking, pass into space,work ball into box and Then i don't know what else. I know I will need to adjust the d-line based on opposition, such as, against poor teams I'll drop deeper to draw them out before hitting them with a quick transition to attack. The opposite against top teams as I will push higher up and hassle them to try and disrupt their game.

What other TI's might work with this? Is the basic tactical idea viable? Any advice before I try this thing out is appreciated.

Not much of a goal scoring threat there and as you say no runs beyond the f9. Your F9 will drop into midfield but no one will take up the space he is creating. Maybe get your AM to be attacking or change him to a shadow striker and get one of your wingers to provide a bit more of a threat from an inside forward. To be honest I would change the f9 to a dlf or a support role depending on his strengths.

Obviously it depends on your players but I have liked 4 at the back, a DM, 2 CM, 2 wingers and a lone striker for a while. Playing control and pressing high up the pitch, I usually get a lot of chances. You can play about with the player roles and the new options for the DM mean it's a bit more attacking than before.

GK

FB-s CD-d CD-d FB-a

CM-s DLP-d

W-a AM-s W-a

F9-s

There's no balance to your left-hand side. You have an attacking fullback with an attacking winger in front of him. Where is he supposed to find the space to get forward? I would suggest changing your LW to a Winger (S) or an Inside Forward (S).

You have a similar issue through the middle. Where is the space for your F9 to drop into? And who is getting beyond him? The AM (S) will just occupy the space the F9 wants to move in to, and won't make enough runs past him. I'd suggest switching the AM to an attack duty, or even setting the CF to an attack duty - a DLF (A) is pretty decent with an AM (S) behind him.

ok so we created a couple goals from the last two matches a 2-1 win and a 3-2 win. most of the concessions have come from set pieces, so i re did the settings for them. I'm using these TI's at the moment: push higher up, hassle opponents, pass into space, play wider exploit the middle and run at defence. I have a few specialized PI's but not many. Anyone see any massive holes?

The 4-2-3-1 with CM's is already weak through the middle. Using the 'Play Wider' shout is just going to compound that. Using 'Exploit the Middle' will just make things 100 times worse.

I'd also be wary of 'Pass Into Space' and 'Run at Defence' as they tend to produce very direct football, but that's just personal preference.

If you insist on using 'Hassle Opponents' and 'Push Higher Up' you need to accept there will be times when you're defence will be exposed. If you want to be more solid then you can ditch these shouts. Not using 'Hassle Opponents' will see you keep your defensive shape more, while not using 'Push Higher Up' will make sure your defence isn't caught high up the field against pacey strikers.

What PI's do you use?

I'm actually gonna try something much simpler now. I'm just going to have a go with a 451. Very basic, less TI's and Less PI's. Simplicity worked for me on the old system, so I should keep with that. I'm just going to try new formations and not so much a mass of TI's.

If you want to keep a supporting role in the AMC position, then I would consider using an AF/A with the PI, move into channels. Coupled with an IF/A on the left hand side, that will mean that the AF will drag the defense around a bit, and allow the IF to charge into the space he created. I would also consider changing your W/A to a W/S duty, so that he can get plenty of balls in for the AF. With both an W and an IF on attack, you will have a lot of players making runs without too many supporting. Or you could choose an IF/S and a W/A. Either way, make sure you split your duties between those two roles.

Also, I would consider swapping the duties of your CM's. In my opinion, in the 4-2-3-1 it is important that both MC's sit in front of the defence. In the current format, your CM will break forward to support the attack, and along with an attacking FB that may leave you a little short at the back. A CM/D and DLP/S will both sit in front of your defence, and will still offer you come creativity from deep.

So After some testing with very basic tactics, very few TI's and such I am coming to the conclusion that you can't really play this game simply. I created a really solid at the back 4141, very sound defensively, but it scored 2 goals in 9 matches. To get any kind of attacking movement you really do have to sit down and watch every match full out and issue new PI's every second. That is just tedious to me. I'm more into the team building and broader manager duties than sitting and micro analyzing every step every player takes on the pitch. Sadly I'm gonna download some tactics and try to enjoy the parts of the game I do enjoy. Thanks for the attempts at help folks!

Also I had two tactics fully fluid and during the winter break I added a third just to try out and after 2 weeks a 4 friendlies the two fluid tactics have fallen to awkward and competent in every category. That is absurd. We didn't stop training them just added a third. Really? My professional players forgot how to play a tactic we used for 6 months in two weeks because we practiced a bit less?

To get any kind of attacking movement you really do have to sit down and watch every match full out and issue new PI's every second. That is just tedious to me. I'm more into the team building and broader manager duties than sitting and micro analyzing every step every player takes on the pitch.

If this were true, I wouldn't bother playing the game. It isn't. The only player in my team with PI's is the GK. That's it.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is, tbh. Maybe you just need to take a break from the game? No point in being perpetually frustrated.

If this were true, I wouldn't bother playing the game. It isn't. The only player in my team with PI's is the GK. That's it.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is, tbh. Maybe you just need to take a break from the game? No point in being perpetually frustrated.

Agreed. I barely use PI's at all and normally I only have to watch 1 or 2 games to see what the issues are in the tactic then after this highlights is enough for me.

Archived