Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2.......... A Combined Arms approach to FM

I'm now 5 or 6 games in (can't remember!) with Bohemians, and its working well (considering still not completely fluid). In those games, 1 draw, 1 loss and the rest are wins - all against teams near the top of the table, and I'm into the final of the Irish League Cup. The loss was one of those that seems typical on the current ME - more possession, more shots on target, but went down to a penalty, and a goal scored from a corner as soon as I had equalised. Anyhow, Bohemians were 10th in the league when I joined, now up to 7th. 10 games to go, 10 points off top - there might even been an unlikely late charge to the title on the cards ;-)

Going slightly off topic, does anyone else get wound up by the way corners are conceeded in the game - I've seen so many where an interception is made and the ball flies out for a corner from the most unlikely positions. I mean, I know that sometimes defenders make last-ditch tackles where the ball could go anywhere, but I'm seeing them go out from around 20-25 yards out - I don't recall seeing it happen much in real life, and certainly not with the regularity that it's happening in FM14. Anyway, grumble over!

But boy, is the Irish league tough - the players really aren't up to much, but I am at least getting to blood some promising youngsters. My original plan was to carry out some major squad rebuilding when the season is over, but I do wonder how realistic this is going to be given the quality of players it seems I can sign. Tactics are working well though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In order to celebrate the new tactics, i decided to start a new game once more :)

This time i created a fictional manager, 25 years old Italian guy with semi-professional background.

Got job from Stockport, first time for me in FM14 that i will be managing in England.

Let's see how these tactics work in the Skrill :)

started as aston villa no money and average squad at best ! pre season was shaky lost to two teams that a should have battered I feared the worst (like all the other tactics I have tried) that these were gona fail big time ! this years version has taken me an age "to get into" mainly because I have struggled to say the least was on the verge of giving up ! but then I thought I will give your tactics a blast and all I can say is WOW thank you for taking the time out and providing us with these gems !! currently just before xmas and three points off top of table !! well above my expectations !! so once again thank you

Hello my FM friends...

I'n getting a bit of dificulty using your tactics in the Scotish Premiership with Aberdeen !! I'm on my second season and have a pretty decent team for the Scotish league.

I have both tacktics fluid right now but the logic you say to apply (changing between both tactics when you're favoured or not) doesn't fit !!

I use Rainmaker when I'm favoured and I keep losing, then I switch to S&S and win...even with teams from the lower part of the table (I'm currently sitting 2nd).

Last game I play was aggainst Dumfermline (2nd div team) on the FA CUP Semi Final at neutral ground. Started the game with Rainmaker, got one goal...it keept like that until 70min...turned to S&S and they scored 2 goals in 2 minutes (79min, 80min)...I couldnt even change the it back to Rainmaker...then I change it but I couldnt even get a shoot at goal in the last 10 min !!

So I'm a bit confused by that, it seems my team plays well on S&S against the Top teams away, but I cant find a balance to play home games and seem to draw or loose to almost every team no matter what tactic I use !!

For now I played 15 home games and won 4 draw 6 lost 5 !!

Pretty stange this situacion right ???

Can you give me some advice ??

Hello my FM friends...

I'n getting a bit of dificulty using your tactics in the Scotish Premiership with Aberdeen !! I'm on my second season and have a pretty decent team for the Scotish league.

I have both tacktics fluid right now but the logic you say to apply (changing between both tactics when you're favoured or not) doesn't fit !!

I use Rainmaker when I'm favoured and I keep losing, then I switch to S&S and win...even with teams from the lower part of the table (I'm currently sitting 2nd).

Last game I play was aggainst Dumfermline (2nd div team) on the FA CUP Semi Final at neutral ground. Started the game with Rainmaker, got one goal...it keept like that until 70min...turned to S&S and they scored 2 goals in 2 minutes (79min, 80min)...I couldnt even change the it back to Rainmaker...then I change it but I couldnt even get a shoot at goal in the last 10 min !!

So I'm a bit confused by that, it seems my team plays well on S&S against the Top teams away, but I cant find a balance to play home games and seem to draw or loose to almost every team no matter what tactic I use !!

For now I played 15 home games and won 4 draw 6 lost 5 !!

Pretty stange this situacion right ???

Can you give me some advice ??

All you can do is ride it out. Sometimes the game just shafts you. Worst thing you can do is doubt tactics/players and start chopping and changing.

Stick with it, it will turn around.

If in doubt Rainmaker home, S&S away. Thats all I did with Norwich.

In order to celebrate the new tactics, i decided to start a new game once more :)

This time i created a fictional manager, 25 years old Italian guy with semi-professional background.

Got job from Stockport, first time for me in FM14 that i will be managing in England.

Let's see how these tactics work in the Skrill :)

I'm ruining Skrill South with Tonbridge. nearly averaging 4 goals a game. The goalies are pants, strikers are even scoring one on one's. Both my F9 and CF are averaging more than a goal a game.

You'll be fine :thup:

PS. Watch out for the Stockport board, there a bit moody. If you dont start well they will be all over you. Think media prediction is 3rd but whenever i'm managing someone else and check on them they are lower mid table. Its an overrated squad.

I'm ruining Skrill South with Tonbridge. nearly averaging 4 goals a game. The goalies are pants, strikers are even scoring one on one's. Both my F9 and CF are averaging more than a goal a game.

You'll be fine :thup:

Just getting started. Already signed one full back ® and a couple of strikers.

Still trying to bring in another full back (L) and one midfielder.

Two friendlies played, first lost to Nuneaton 1-0 away, then home draw 3-3 against York.

Tactics of course are as far from fluid as possible, but maybe we'll get there during the later stages of season ;)

I'm now 5 or 6 games in (can't remember!) with Bohemians, and its working well (considering still not completely fluid). In those games, 1 draw, 1 loss and the rest are wins - all against teams near the top of the table, and I'm into the final of the Irish League Cup. The loss was one of those that seems typical on the current ME - more possession, more shots on target, but went down to a penalty, and a goal scored from a corner as soon as I had equalised. Anyhow, Bohemians were 10th in the league when I joined, now up to 7th. 10 games to go, 10 points off top - there might even been an unlikely late charge to the title on the cards ;-)

Going slightly off topic, does anyone else get wound up by the way corners are conceeded in the game - I've seen so many where an interception is made and the ball flies out for a corner from the most unlikely positions. I mean, I know that sometimes defenders make last-ditch tackles where the ball could go anywhere, but I'm seeing them go out from around 20-25 yards out - I don't recall seeing it happen much in real life, and certainly not with the regularity that it's happening in FM14. Anyway, grumble over!

But boy, is the Irish league tough - the players really aren't up to much, but I am at least getting to blood some promising youngsters. My original plan was to carry out some major squad rebuilding when the season is over, but I do wonder how realistic this is going to be given the quality of players it seems I can sign. Tactics are working well though.

Just be aware player attributes are relative to your level. My Tonbridge squad look like they have been randomly dragged out of the local B&Q warehouse but are doing well.

Just keep building and improving the squad a player at a time.

Just be aware player attributes are relative to your level. My Tonbridge squad look like they have been randomly dragged out of the local B&Q warehouse but are doing well.

Just keep building and improving the squad a player at a time.

Yes, am aware of that, think it's more because I'm not used to this league - when playing English leagues I feel like I have more of a frame of reference as to what I should be looking for based on what level I am.

To a point. But once fully fluid leaving on 'def set pieces' permanently until they sort them out.

As I mentioned in my original post 'look for overlap' applies to ALL players,

Your midfield will look for your FB's, your F9 will look for midfielders etc.

You were correct in your ideas. Another example of people giving misleading advice.

Just in case you may be interested Mr Rosler. I've found the original post of mine about the overlap when not having wingers. You may be a little surprised when you see who made the comment. The post was on 06.12.13 at 12:31. Posts #'s 1 and 2. in the Tactics & Training forum.

Just in case you may be interested Mr Rosler. I've found the original post of mine about the overlap when not having wingers. You may be a little surprised when you see who made the comment. The post was on 06.12.13 at 12:31. Posts #'s 1 and 2. in the Tactics & Training forum.

Ooops!!!

This one, to save people searching - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377161-Help-with-my-4-3-3-Att-Std-and-Counter-formations-tactics-please.?p=9261747#post9261747

After starting unemployed and getting the Bristol city job i posted in your S&S thread how fantastic i thought that tactic was it got me into the Prem in 2 seasons. I got offered the Seville job had to take it first season came second 4 points behind Barca and had no intention of changing S&S, it had been outstanding and even tho i was second again and needed 1 point to qualify 2nd in a champ league group with Man Utd, Monaco and Shakhtar in, i saw this update and thought i would give it a go.. I did not believe it was possible but youve done it again i have conceded 3 goals and scored 15 goals in 5 games including beating Real Madrid along the way to sit nice and comfy in 1st place !!!!!!!! My hat sir if i had one would be taken off to you as i said in other thread i hated this years game because i couldnt win a game and i always make my own tactics but just couldnt get one to work untill i found yours so thanks Mr Rosler

Uwe, forgive me. I very rarely feel compelled to interject into the mad world that you fascinate me with.

I've followed your Fulcrum series with great interest. Tried, tested, sworn at, praised when i've had a squad... sworn at, praised, then sworn at again...

I play FM with my own stupid ideas, often ridiculous then a second club that runs on other ideas, hopefully picking up snippets that can drag me up somehow. I've adopted your Fulcrum series to my 'second' club, and i'm getting spanked!

This v2 set is quite frankly the best i've known and tested. Ruthless. As much as the purists will hate, it drags every last sinew of your squad and picks it up, dragging and screaming. Almost in a way that Tony Pulis smashed everything he could out of a limited Stoke City squad. I've always played like that, i've always turned down Liverpool, Real Madrid, AC, Inter, Barca...

I digress, I have limited 'top end' experience, but you have me questioning my own approach to FM, making me think. Making me wonder why my smaller second club are threatening to overtake my ideals.

You may get negative, even questioning responses, but I love debate. I'll be a silent watcher in this thread, probably more vocal now i've introduced myself...

Curious if you ever switch to defending and add time wasting late in a game? It just feels like there should be a 3rd tactic for shutting down the shop at the end of the game. :)

Great work! Awesome tactics as always.

Thanks guy's, glad it's going well.

No need to lurk, please contribute, that's what forums are for!

Don't have the appetite for doing a 3rd tactic at the moment, besides gotta give those AI managers a chance!

I think the only other tactical work I'll do on this year's version will be when the final patch comes out 14.3.

Even then I'm hopeful not a lot will need tweaking.

Obviously will keep posting and supporting the thread and might do a few articles on bits and pieces perhaps very in depth looks at the player roles.

Thanks guy's, glad it's going well.

No need to lurk, please contribute, that's what forums are for!

Don't have the appetite for doing a 3rd tactic at the moment, besides gotta give those AI managers a chance!

I think the only other tactical work I'll do on this year's version will be when the final patch comes out 14.3.

Even then I'm hopeful not a lot will need tweaking.

Obviously will keep posting and supporting the thread and might do a few articles on bits and pieces perhaps very in depth looks at the player roles.

Forgot to answer my question :)

Curious if you ever switch to defending and add time wasting late in a game?

Hey Rosler

Apologies for not being a regular poster since my first few on the original tactics, I've just moved from the UK to NZ so hadn't had a lot of spare time!

Anyway, on my save with Leamington I have now just gotten into the championship, been using silk & steel all the way and have just changed to v2 at the end of last year. The tactics have been the most consistent I have used this year and are awesome for underdog teams. I can't wait till I'm solidly in the prem and can start using Rainmaker properly.

I love the interchange between the mids and the forwards, so many nice runs and through balls being played. It's nice to have a tactic which favours quick strikers again!

Forgot to answer my question :)

Curious if you ever switch to defending and add time wasting late in a game?

I don't, but mainly as I like my results to reflect my tactics 100%.

Obviously you guys don't have to worry about that. Time wasting would be good I guess, I always worry that by going too defensive you invite pressure. Buy never tried it, could be good.

I have had great success using the other versions of your tactic Rosler, even if i was using Man Utd, by 2020 was here it was purely my own players and was constantly winning everything.

I felt i needed a new challenge and resigned.

I was unemployed for 6 months and have just been approached by newly promoted Norwich who i have just found out,have just been taken over by a tycoon :)......Now to make Norwich the 'new' Man Utd.

I have now reached February in my first season with Stockport.

Things have gone quite well, could be better, but could also be much worse.

I think the biggest problem at the moment is my manager character :D

As i told earlier, i created a fictional character, who is 25 years old, with semi-pro experience and comes from Italy.

The problems with that are at least:

1. Didn't speak English at start, luckily in late december he managed to learn basic English.

2. Reputation is only regional, so commands no respect what so ever.

3. First season manager, again issues with respect.

That has caused the problem, that no matter what i say in team talks, players tend to be nervous when things go bad and complacent or uninterested when we get a goal or two. So we have lost or drawn several games with late goals, because of complacency.

Assistant manager is not much better, i have tried to let him do some of the talks, but results are about the same. So i keep doing them myself, hoping that at some point the players start to pay attention more :)

I have used S&S v2 as the basic starting tactic in most matches. Only start with Rainmaker v2 when we are firm favorites at home. I also created a "contain version of S&S", so far looks promising, have been able to keep narrow lead until end with that tactic in a few occasions already. It's not fluid yet though as i only created it a while ago after reading about something like that from this thread.

Anyway, this is what the table looks like at the moment:

rms8.jpg

I am using this 18yrs old striker as the complete forward. He doesn't look like much on attributes, but the acceleration + pace combination has proven lethal, just like Mr U Rosler has mentioned earlier.

Funny thing is that he has quite poor finishing attribute, yet he doesn't miss chances often :D

This is the guy:

iy8q.jpg

Think Rhys Turner had just gone to Oldham IRL as a deadline day transfer.

Perhaps their scouting network extends to this thread :-)

Interesting you are using S&S as your default tactic.

I would be using Rainmaker for all Home games with Stockport. But it's clearly working doing it your way.

I note you have 12 draws. I'd be interested to know how many of those were at home.

Stockport have a big rep for that division. Teams will come and. 'park the bus'.

Think Rhys Turner had just gone to Oldham IRL as a deadline day transfer.

Perhaps their scouting network extends to this thread :-)

Interesting you are using S&S as your default tactic.

I would be using Rainmaker for all Home games with Stockport. But it's clearly working doing it your way.

I note you have 12 draws. I'd be interested to know how many of those were at home.

Stockport have a big rep for that division. Teams will come and. 'park the bus'.

I could change using Rainmaker as the home tactic for next fixtures and see how it goes. I have kind of been playing it safe, maybe too safe.

The home record is:

6 won, 7 drawn and 1 lost.

Away record is:

7 won, 5 drawn and 2 lost.

edit:

cup matches haven't really gone our way.

On FA cup we lost 3rd qualifying round against Rushall, really should have won that one, but nervous players equals 1-0 loss.

On FA Trophy we made it to fourth round, but lost 1-2 at home against Braintree.

Other bits.

NO Opposition Instructions

MAX PITCH SIZE

Long Throws are go. Check if you have anyone with 'Flat Bullet' throw. If you do put them on throw ins on the set-piece screen. Anyone with 15+ Long Throw Attribute will likely be able to learn it as a preferred move.

Training.

Full Match Training on Tactics only until fully fluid. Then leave on 'defending set pieces' all season on minimal (1 notch from the right on slider)

Team Training. 1 months Fitness, then 6 weeks Team Cohesion. then Balanced all season

Hello

I love your tactics but i dont understand the truing and match prep. Have you screeshots please??

Thank you very much

I could change using Rainmaker as the home tactic for next fixtures and see how it goes. I have kind of been playing it safe, maybe too safe.

The home record is:

6 won, 7 drawn and 1 lost.

Away record is:

7 won, 5 drawn and 2 lost.

edit:

cup matches haven't really gone our way.

On FA cup we lost 3rd qualifying round against Rushall, really should have won that one, but nervous players equals 1-0 loss.

On FA Trophy we made it to fourth round, but lost 1-2 at home against Braintree.

Yeah, those draws at home are a big 'Red Flag'.

I think you should use Rainaker as much as possible as its a more decisive tactic. With 1 point for a draw and 3 for a win it carries a +EV.

You need a very good reason not to use it at home.

Decided to join in and try a Tonbridge Angels dynasty. Starting december I'm top of the league by 4 points, also have two games in hand. Made it to the 1st round of the FA Cup too but got well and truly demolished by Tranmere :)

That will be interesting to compare notes :thup:

They've got a couple of bad boy strikers for that division :brock:

Suarez is my CF, Pinney F9, signed a good F9 and CF backup, having a 'blip' in scoring but still grinding out the 1-0 and 0-0 while form picks back up, so can't complain!

picked up an entire new midfield too to compliment appiah so i should at least get playoffs here

Hi Uwe!

Been away for a while so missed rainmaker 2. You may remember I was starting with Cigli belediye in amateur league with old rainmaker and got promoted to league 3. Have by farrrrrrrrr the weakest team in league 3(odds of 5000-1) but am 3rd after 11 games..... but the only games Ive lost have been to the classic rainmaker issues. So as I have a lot of support at the club and can afford not to get promoted Im going to switch right over and see how it goes.

Hello

I love your tactics but i dont understand the truing and match prep. Have you screeshots please??

Thank you very much

Check out post #13 on my other thread, all laid out there :thup:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377470-The-Fulcrum-Silk-amp-Steel.-A-complete-Tactical-System-for-14.1.4-and-beyond......

Yeah, those draws at home are a big 'Red Flag'.

I think you should use Rainaker as much as possible as its a more decisive tactic. With 1 point for a draw and 3 for a win it carries a +EV.

You need a very good reason not to use it at home.

I took your advice and played the remaining season with Rainmaker as the starting tactic at home and S&S for starter away.

It seems you know what you are talking about :)

This is the final table:

e4yt.jpg

In case anyone is interested, this is the team i had at the end of the season (released quite a few players along the way, because they added only to the wage bill, not on the pitch):

mf7j.jpg

edit:

In case someone is wondering why Goldsmith played so few matches, even though he played well, is that he only joined the team just before transfer window closed. So, didn't have many games left after that.

Rhys Turner 36 League Goals :lol:

He also banged a few in cup matches, season total 42 goals in competitive matches :D

Kristian Dennis scored 20 goals, he was playing the F9 position, so that's not bad either.

edit:

Second last game of the season, we were in a must win situation. I thought that it will be tricky.

Rhys Turner scored hat trick in 27 minutes, made the rest of the game quite easy. We won 0-4 in the end.

I just had a regen come through at Tonbridge that is "decent championship" and "leading prem player" potential.

He might be my eternal saviour, good at both roles in most divisions. please save me FM regen god.

Never seen that at that level.

You got a screenshot?

Archived