Sports Interactive Community
WabbitHunter25

I can't stop conceding goals!!! 4-3-1-2

Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with my tactic please? The problem I have is that I score lots of goals but I can't keep a clean sheet.

I play as Chelmsford City and have taken them to the top of League 2 after 15 games in my third season. I have currently scored 41 but have conceded a massive 27 plus another 4 if you included the 2 cup games I have played (and lost). I have only kept 1 clean sheet in 17 games, 21 if you include friendlies. I noticed this problem start to happen towards the end of last season when I was 14 points clear but only won the league on the second last game of the season.

I have since brought in new players who are scouted at being leading League 2 players or good league 1 players plus 1 who is a good championship player and a regen who is a good league 2 player with the potential to be a leading Premier League player so I play him to try and get him to his full potential.

My current tactic is this:

GK - Daniel Bentley

DR - James Tavernier (CWB) - Attack

DC - Reece Brown (CB) - Defend

DC - Daniel Alfei (CB) - Defend

DL - Alan Sheehan (CWB) - Attack

MCL - Josh Sheehan (DM) - Defend

MC - Bradley Pritchard (BBM) - Support

MCR - John Moushino (AP) - Support

AMC - Sheldon Hook, Regen (T) - Attack

STCL - John Sutton (CF) - Attack

STCR - Kane Hemmings (AF) - Attack

I have the mentality set to Control and 2 instructions, Pass into space and More Direct Passing. I have no problem scoring goals but it is starting to become a worry when I need to score at least 2 goals a game just to win and 1 just to pick up a point.

If anyone could give advice on what I could do differently that would be great?:confused:

Have you tried changing your fullbacks to regular wing backs? CWBs are basically wingers and will often be very high up the pitch. Combine this with not having anyone in the DM position, I'll bet you often find yourself with only two defenders. I'm guessing that most of your opponents field two strikers, meaning things could be a bit dicey!

I'd be tempted to try changing the fullbacks to something a little less gung ho and maybe drop someone into the DM spot?

You probably need to readdress the balance of the duties in your team if you're looking to become more defensively stable. You currently have 5 players on attack duties and your 2 support players are arguably attacking by nature anyway. I'd suggest that you make your full backs play a less attacking role to give yourself a flatter back 4, and perhaps Sutton to CF(s). I'd also consider changing Pritchard to something like CM (d) or DLP (d) so his positioning is less static so you have a reference point in the middle of the pitch.

Thanks guys, I was thinking about reducing the Full backs attacking duties. I will have a tinker later tonight and see if your suggestions help, hopefully they will. I will update either way.

What do you think about having an AMC Trequarista, I have thought about changing this as he tends to go missing for a few games but then all of a sudden he pops up with a few goals or assists and I then think twice about changing it?

Thanks guys, I was thinking about reducing the Full backs attacking duties. I will have a tinker later tonight and see if your suggestions help, hopefully they will. I will update either way.

What do you think about having an AMC Trequarista, I have thought about changing this as he tends to go missing for a few games but then all of a sudden he pops up with a few goals or assists and I then think twice about changing it?

Does he go missing when the oppo play a DM'er? That may be a reason.

He may go missing, as Crazy Ivan says, because the opposition have a DM marking him. Does he contribute in other ways? Or when he goes missing is he not involved at all?

Nope he doesn't contribute at all but then he will have an amazing game all of a sudden. I will keep an eye out to see if the oppo are using a DM and if they are I may change my tactic.

I had same problem, try to set one player as DM.

As others have mentioned, you need to rebalance your duties a bit.

Two attacking wing-backs only really works with a back three. Putting one on support will leave you less exposed down the flanks.

You have three forward players on attack duties (albeit one is a TQ) which will stifle interplay between the front two and the midfield. I'd put Sutton on a support duty to provide more balance and to link play between midfield and up front.