Sports Interactive Community
toffifee

Banned from Europe

Im not too savvy on how this will all work IRL and in game tbh, so im just going to chuck the question out there.

I noticed that the game has some sort of FFP requirements for teams to meet in order to play in UEFA competitions... now have you managed or seen a team miss these requirements and thus miss their place in Europe on the game? Or does the board always find a way to bail you out of the situation and ensure you are able to play in the competition.

Nice post. Would love to hear if anyone has seen this in game.

I know there was a Greek side who were not permitted due to a financial reasons. (PAS Giannina) correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure if it can be translated into FM however.

I've seen Real Madrid excluded from the CL in one of my saves, they kind of overspent on several transfers and breached FFP regulations. And on the owners bailing you out, I reckon only those with sugar daddy owners will do it, as the the FFP regulations allow a certain amount to be invested into the club by the owners to help with FFP.

I've seen Real Madrid excluded from the CL in one of my saves, they kind of overspent on several transfers and breached FFP regulations.

Imagine that happening IRL... would make for SOME paper headlines. :D

I've seen it on someone's save in the FMCU forum on here, Lokomotiv Moscow(I think) were banned for failing to meet FFP regulations

I experimented with this...in my first save I tried- I got arsenal banned from Europe for breaking FFP by signing neymar with some ridiculous add-ons to the transfer deal,

On a different save I was heading to just miss out on the FFP and the board did bail me out ... but what the board can do is limited like it is in real life

In my career game with Lens, Wolfsburg and currently Dortmund when I was at Wolfsburg I won the German Cup and was denied entry into the Europa League as I failed the FFP rules.

After moving onto Dortmund in my first season we won the Bundesliga and was around £254 million in the red so was failing massively.

On the day of the announcement as to whether you qualify on the FFP rules the first news item I got was my board had secured a one season sponsorship deal worth £268 million.

So I suppose it's down to who you are. I failed with Wolfsburg and had my board bail me out at Dortmund so yes you can be banned and yes you can be saved by the board.

Imagine that happening IRL... would make for SOME paper headlines. :D

Considering the amount of "help" they get from the Spanish government, its highly unlikely to happen IRL.

In ny game in Ukraine two teams were banned, resulting in the teams in seventh and eigth place taking their place in europe. Sadly I finished ninth. :)

Over the course of my experimental holiday ga,e in England that went on for about 100 years, Southampton repeatedly missed out on Europe due to overspending -- they must've done it about 15 times in 40 years. Other teams missed out as well, including Dulwich Hamlet, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke City and Derby County. However the first team to miss out missed out in 2020 or so, so I guess it becomes more prevalent the later you go into a save...

Over the course of my experimental holiday ga,e in England that went on for about 100 years, Southampton repeatedly missed out on Europe due to overspending -- they must've done it about 15 times in 40 years. Other teams missed out as well, including Dulwich Hamlet, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke City and Derby County. However the first team to miss out missed out in 2020 or so, so I guess it becomes more prevalent the later you go into a save...

DULWICH HAMLET?!?! How in this WORLD would they have qualified for Europe anyway?! Oh I do love FM sometimes :D

As Liverpool I went crazy with signings of superstars, 1.15 billion pounds later I was booted out of Europe the next season despite winning the EPL title, Champions League, FA & League Cups, European Supercup & World Club Championship.

I just gave up that saved game and started again from the first season.

DULWICH HAMLET?!?! How in this WORLD would they have qualified for Europe anyway?! Oh I do love FM sometimes :D

They had a sugar daddy who funded them to back to back to back to back etc promotions all the way to the Premier League in the 2070's. Then they established themselves up there with his continued backing and got into Europe a couple of times. I think their highest finish was 3rd. They were relegated in 2111 but immediately promoted back with a record points haul and they're now poised to crack the top 4 again (although it's only about 4 games into the new season)...

For those of you who have seen this happen, are the clubs plunging themselves into debt (or using the owner's wealth) with their spending or are they just spending the money they have accumulated over time?

I know in previous versions of FM it was possible for clubs to run at a big profit over time (which doesn't tend to happen in real football), which means FFP might not quite play out quite as expected in real life.

For those of you who have seen this happen, are the clubs plunging themselves into debt (or using the owner's wealth) with their spending or are they just spending the money they have accumulated over time?

I know in previous versions of FM it was possible for clubs to run at a big profit over time (which doesn't tend to happen in real football), which means FFP might not quite play out quite as expected in real life.

Southampton, Chelsea and Dulwich Hamlet all suffered financially for a couple of years after their owner withdrew their backing. I can't really remember the rest of the cases very well. Southampton just consistently spent beyond their means, especially on player wages.

Southampton, Chelsea and Dulwich Hamlet all suffered financially for a couple of years after their owner withdrew their backing. I can't really remember the rest of the cases very well. Southampton just consistently spent beyond their means, especially on player wages.

That's good to hear, sounds like it is working as it should then.

I wonder if it's one of the case where the game is "more realistic" than the real one. :D

Does UEFA will have the brave to apply the rule in real life? :D