Help...!! Struggling with Bradford!

First time posting for help and it feels very strange! I have a couple of questions, relating to tactics with my Bradford City team.

I've read the comprehensive and detailed guides at the top of the forum about tactic development after having started a Bradford save and picking up many good results but also having some highly frustrating ones! However overall what I didnt struggle for was goals, some games I struggled to break opposition down but managed an odd goal. However the really frustrating thing was a lack of consistency, after beating a team 6-1 I'd lose the next 6-2. Anyway after finishing just outside the playoffs I decided I wanted to start again as there were many things I wasn't happy about with the save. So I read the guides and set about starting a new save and creating my tactic, going for a flat 4-4-2 and wanting to play quite direct attacking football but also being hard to break down.

This is what I came up with:

ejvhwk.jpg

i221xf.jpg

So basically I'm looking for any advice possible, feel free to ask for screenshots or whatever, but basically with this new save I'm struggling to even score goals, and it seems all teams have to do is play a 4-5-1 and my team crumbles even with a rather defensive Centre Midfield set up! Granted though teams are struggling to break me down!

My second question is about increasing familiarity, and how is best to do this, I haven't really delved into the training side of the game, and usually set this as a job for my assistant (goes against real life as being a coach I like to be hands on in training) however come the start of the season tactic familiarity is still low!

So yeah that's pretty much it really, have never really struggled tactically on past FM's consistently taking Bradford to the Premiership in successive promotions and establishing them as a dominant force, unrealistic I know but still as a supporter I can dream! :p

From my experience with this tactic with fm13 these dm's are here to make defense rock solid, but they usually help with attack. Your main creative players are wingers so u don't need to worry about attacking. I'm not starting any save with fm14 until SI release latest patch now in February, but I'm sure I will use this tactic. From what I read on fmbase I saw some people moving dm's to mc and it still worked.

Thanks for the help Filke and I'll have a closer look at that tactic and see what I can learn, I would also really appreciate some more in depth advice as unless I can create and be successful with my own tactics I will never learn whats needed to make a tactic work.

You know what I have been doing .... and it is too early to see the results but its fun none-the-less .... following the guideline from this OUSTANDING thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/382854-The-Mentality-Ladder-A-Practical-Framework-for-Understanding-Fluidity-and-Duty -

So following that thread this is how I see your tactic in how you have it laid out:

Control - Balanced

"Balanced mentality structures divide the team into three units based on the duties assigned to individual players."

You have 3 A , 3 D , 4 Support .... what is your aim for the tactic? Start with that idea. ..

2 FB (S) = Support Duty (All Roles): Keep Possession Away From Pressure

2 CD (D) = Disrupt Attacks Quickly

CM (S) = Shuttle Ball Into Space

DLP(D) = Recover Possession

WM (A) = Spearhead Attacks

W (A) = Penetrate Gaps Intermittently

P (A) = Draw Off Defenders

TM (S) = Shuttle Ball Aggressively

So looking at your "framework" and then adding in your shouts ... you essentially spearhead attacks on the wings ... But you have Pump ball into box - they will not pump it ....they are on attack duty ...several threads about how W/WM(A) charge the defense and do not look for the cross ... which also eliminates Cross early ... they simply wont do it....

Exploit the flanks = Same thing .. you won't get the same benefit of the target man with the wide men on Attack ... they will just blast forward at the opposition ....and since you are in a control system (which shortens the passing) it also kills the effect off ....

Anyways ... I am far from a tactical guru ... I struggle myself ...but never stop learning ....and this is my new "phase" using that thread as a guide to help me shape my tactic. ...

So if your goal indeed is Control .... short passing ..keeping possession ...then you need to adjust your shouts accordingly and mix up the roles a bit. Change a wide man to support and maybe change a CM role ....

So as its late and I've just seen your post Brick if I were to set it to attacking and change the wide men I'd see my target man become more effect, because what I've been seeing is that my poacher is creating chances for my target man not the other way round!

As I said in my initial post im looking for more direct attacking football, and wing play, however as my team progresses i would be wanting to become more possession based!

Id eventually want my Bradford team to play in the style of Arsenal, but currently we don't have the personnel

According to the post "The Mentality Ladder" if you changed to attack then this is what your strikers would be like in balanced -

Attack Duty (Multiple Strikers): Overload Defenders

Support Duty (Multiple Strikers): Create Chances Patiently

Then you can change your WM to (S) and he would do =

Support Duty (All Roles): Create Chances Patiently

While adding in crosses more ....since he is on support (attack on the wings makes them rush the opponent)

^Brick, you're the first person applying the logic of that thread in what I guess is exactly the way THOG was aiming for.

It's obviously a huge read, but as you have demonstrated, if you have a Mentality and Fluidity in mind, you can skim through the guide pretty quickly to construct your Roles and Duties. Nice work!

Avoid over complicating your tactic. You can read some utter long winded dross on these forums from so called experts (who no doubt work for SI) when really it isn't necessary.

I look at it this way...

Take your time. If the board want a mid table finish then that's what you aim for. Just because your Norwich side isn't winning the Premier League by ten points doesn't mean you are doing a bad job.

Check your scout reports for players who can currently compete at your level but get better. So if you are expected to be a mid-table Championship team look for players that are "good player for the Championship" but have the potential to be a "good player for the premier".

Take it from there and your team should gradually improve.

As for your tactic just try to think how it looks "offensively" then "defensively". The only thing'd I'd change looking at your tactic is 1 - the centre backs, I like to have one stopper and 1 cover and 2 - Left MW on support duty with Left FB on attack. But that's a personal choice.

Take your time. If the board want a mid table finish then that's what you aim for. Just because your Norwich side isn't winning the Premier League by ten points doesn't mean you are doing a bad job.

I do take your point there El Presidente and in the earlier save had I not had 2 polar opposite halfs of the season where I dropped from a comfortable play off places to mid season mediocrity then I would have accepted it. The problem I've had with this second save is that whilst we are conceding much less we arent scoring and having created the tactic I wanted some advice as to why :)

Avoid over complicating your tactic. You can read some utter long winded dross on these forums from so called experts (who no doubt work for SI) when really it isn't necessary.

Whilst I will agree with you that overcomplication can be disastrous, I certainly wouldn't equate "long winded" to "dross".

I have personally found some of the "long winded" articles/threads on here to be a godsend in recent weeks, especially after spending the last 5 years trawling other forums that seem to be full of myth/conjecture.

@Brick_Tamland - Also agree that it's good to see someone putting into use the logic of "The Mentality Ladder". It'll be great to see more threads/posts like that in the future. The ONLY (and this is not a slight against the article at all) problem with it is perhaps the lack of examples, so keep them coming!

@Falcon3540 - Apologies for clogging your thread with asides. ...As for your OP, I would tend towards at least one player in DM as they do offer a much more solid base. You may be pleasantly surprised with how much a DLP/S or a DM/S can be involved with play further up, especially if he's partnered with a more Defensive DM (Anchor Man/Half Back).

Falcon - here is my setup ...my lone striker scoring goals for fun ...and my right inside forward cuts in and bags them as well .....

I am in Serie C1/B and projected for a 15th finish ....my team tackling and defense is to say ...AWFUL ... I tried to address this before the season but I was only able to improve it slightly ...so I choose to take advantage of my scoring while doing my best to not get skinned open at the back since like I said ..defensively my team is WEAK ...

So I set up like this :

mwttw8.jpg

My stats for my team look like this :

dxnk8.jpg

As you can see my lone striker is on fire 10 matches / 9 goals (however as I finished this he got injured for 3 weeks hahaha ...great)

So Lone Strikers DO and can work ....just need to proper supporting cast to take advantage .....

Archived