Sports Interactive Community
stu_3145

Advice for a Liverpool 4-1-2-2-1

Hi All,

After a few hours doing some fm research including the fabulous reading of cleon's how to create a tactic and wwfan's how to play fm14 I managed to create what I thought was a reasonably working tactic.

78t8.png

I originally had my DLP (in most cases Gerrard) set to defensive but after watching a few games I noticed that he was tending to sit too far back especially when we were attacking so I changed to him to support to (hopefully) encourage him to push further forward. I also used to play with the team instruction of push up higher however, after reflection, my cbs were being caught out to much for my liking and I removed the instruction.

The two games I have played using this tactic (I know not a large size sample but the tactic was causing me some concerns) and won one and drawn one.

My main concern is the lack of good scoring opportunities created

jvey.png v5jt.png

As you can see a enough of ball and im aware of the large majority of chances being long shots - I believed ive tweaked the tactic enough through the switch form False 9 to Complete Forward (obviously designed around a non-suspended Suarez). I was wondering if there were better roles to choose across the lines that would allow me to create more clear cut chances?

When you were coming up with the tactic, where did you envision your scoring chances coming from?

What was the main ideas behind the tactic?

The original idea was to have the False 9 supply through balls to the breaking inside forwards - alternatively was having the DLP play balls through to the front 3 and having the inside forwards driving into the space created by the withdrawing false 9. I've had reasonable success overloading the left to create mismatches but the CLW tends to pump them into the box which was not beneficial so I set the LB to short balls in an attempt to get him to play off the left sided inside forward (who is general countiho).

The main ideas was to involve the current squad that Liverpool have into a working tactic

I've never been able to get two inside forwards working correctly.

If it where me, i'd change the left hand side one to a Advanced Playmaker Support and give him Roaming and More Direct Passing and then tell your Wingbacks to cross the ball less (as there really isn't anyone in there who is going to get on the end of it). I think the team instruction Overlap applies to the whole pitch (not just the flanks) and encourages players to hold onto the ball and wait for players running from deep so you could try that?

Also, if you want your F9 being the main provider, have you tried telling your team to focus the passing through the middle? If you couple that with Overlap you might start seeing your F9 recieving the ball and your Inside Forward (or your B2B (Henderson?)) attacking the space.

You could also try giving your F9 more direct passing.

Also, take off shorter passing and add Pass Into Space.

I'm not an expert btw, those are just my thoughts. Which could be completely wrong.

I've been playing a similar system with Grimsby so not at the same level, but hopefully some of the things I do can translate to your game. The only major difference is that I play with 2 wingers rather than IFs as I didn't like the way they contributed to my team, and used an AF for my striker as I wanted him to be my main goal scorer.

I would add the 'play narrower' team instruction as keeping your players closer together in a possession/high pressing system. I'd also have one of your central midfielders with a more attacking role and duty - so either AP(A) or CM(A). In my team I found my BWM performed better and stuck to his position better with a defensive duty. Although you might get greater benefits from reading the 'Pairs and Combinations' thread which is a sticky.

You could try playing Coutinho as the attack minded central midfielder with Moses or Sterling wide left. Or even Henderson centrally if you wanted to keep Coutinho outwide.

You are playing 'short passing', retain possession' and 'work ball into the box'. These shouts together will restrict your players in terms of them being creative. What are you seeing on the screen? Are the players keeping possession around the box but not being penetrative? If so, try taking off the 'work ball into the box' instruction - you may then see your players looking at that final ball and creating more chances.

Personally I would NEVER have shorter passing & retain possession in the same tactic by default. With regard to WBIB, I tend to add it in game if I see too many long shots. As for a Liverpool based tactic there really are IMO a few things that are musts....

start fast... which means attack

play a high line - you'll still get caught with the odd ball over the top, but try having 1 of your CD's on Cover (let's face it, Liverpool don't catch many offside IRL!!)

press

and (at least for a spell) play at a high tempo - Liverpool tend to drop their tempo (and play counter) when comfortably up and aim to "take time out of the game" as Brendan puts it.