Your very first CM/FM memories ?

Swapping tips for CM Italia players in the playground.

Andy Cole hitting a £9,999 p/w wage cap (I'm sure this happened and wasn't a false memory).

A very small list of overseas players that you could buy, the highlight being a 19 year old Christian Vieri.

I'm sure I also remember Duncan Ferguson head-butting someone in game. (Possibly even the referee?)

CM 97/98

- appointed manager of Southampton in December/January. They were rock bottom in the Premier League. I won some, lost quite a few but eventually finished 17th. Most fun I've ever had.

- Ibrahima Bakayoko. Looked amazing, I always bought him if I had the money, but I could never get him to perform. Ever.

91 released 'The manager'; played lots of that. I also recall a CPU board game... where you advanced around a monopoly styled map in between matches. Genius, you could land on square that spawned new youths, or even kill off your players with freak accidents!!! Off topic, but fun!

I believe you are thinking of Brian Clough's Football Fortunes, which I also had.

Playing CM2 and buying the foreign league disks as they were introduced (I bought all of them – Spain, Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands/Belgium in addition to England/Scotland).

Best CM2 career was in Germany where I took control of Hertha Berlin in the 2.Bundesliga and won promotion to the 1.Bundesliga and challenged for the title (and seem to remember buying John Scales who performed brilliantly in Germany) before Bayern Munich approached me and we became unstoppable in Europe (and the World Club Cup) winning everything for 3 years in a row.

CM Italia was my introduction. Biggest memory was winning Champions League with Bromsgrove Rovers taking them from non-league. Little or no cheating involved! Kinda brings it home how much improved the game is now. Back then it was just far too easy. Despite all the reservations about FM 2014, I'm enjoying it immensely and having a realistic level of success.

Can't remember what version it was, I reckon it was about 1996 because it was my first year at Uni. I think it was about the time when Rushden and Diamonds were the rich kids of the conference. I managed them and bought a kid called Adam Tann from Cambridge (a DM) always an absolute star at conference and league 2 (Guess it was division 3 then) He's easily average close to 8 over the season. Bought for about £100k and sold on for £3m+

Can remember how far I actually took Rushden, but about that time I do remember also making Bolton the power house of English football, although the 3 foreigners rule was a toughie to manage in Europe.

Don't remember which version but I remember thinking how exotic it was that I could play in the Argentinean Second Division, good old Aldosivi! Over the years CM/FM has made me a better football fan and I still check up on the likes of Aldosivi, Chapecoense, First Vienna, Salernitana, Paris FC and Cadiz as well as my Spurs. Looking for a new one this year, possibly Eastern European.

I used to go round a mate's house and play PlayStation games like FIFA 2000 and Tiger Woods every Saturday until one day he suggested giving CM a try. I wasn't so sure, I thought I would find it boring but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I think it was 99/00 or 00/01 and my first signing was Dino Baggio as I felt I needed an extra DM for my Liverpool side. I was hooked the first time I saw the flashing text for my team scoring a goal.

We used to turn the sofa around to face the PC so we didn't have to get up, put 3 CDs on shuffle in the stereo (including artists such as Radiohead, Oasis, The Levellers, Rage Against The Machine, Green Day, etc). We took turns to make coffee and would usually order a 12" ham and pineapple and a 1/4lb cheese burger to eat while we play (though we would argue over whose turn to make coffee/order the food).

After a year or so we introduced another mate and the three of us spent many weekends doing this routine, occasionally getting McDonalds instead of pizza (Big Mac, quarterpounder with cheese, 6 nuggets, large fries and large shake for me most weeks). We re-introduced console games, so whilst one is playing a match on CM/FM, the other two would be on the PlayStation (later the Xbox, PS2 and PS3).

As we get older times change. We now only get together once a month if we are lucky and never for an all dayer, usually just a midwek evening after work. There are 2 things which have stayed the same; We still argue over whose turn to make the drinks / order food and we still play Footy Mange.

When I was about 12 years old me and my family went to stop at a friends house for the week down in Ipswich. We had all become friends from racing Karts week in week out up and down the country. The first night there I wanted to play some console games on my mates Sega console (cant remember which one it was) as at the time I had never played anything but consoles I didn't even have a PC. Anyway my mate persuaded me to give CM97/98 a try. I was extremely not happy with this decision, literally in 5 mins my mind was completely changed. Suffice to say when we got back home I begged my parents for a PC just so as I could play CM97/98. Although I told my parents it was for homework obviously!! For some reason back then I loved playing as Middlesbrough, god knows why. Bakayoko was always the first signing, something stupid like 30 goals and 30 assists in the hole in a 4-1-2-1-2. For me and a lot of others 01/02 was the benchmark. That game literally took over my days. Remember going to school and literally me and all my mates being absolutely shattered as we had been up until stupid o'clock playing 01/02. Mateja Kezman was an absolute god, as was Mark Kerr, Mike Duff and Kim Kallstrom. As the years have gone on though my love for FM has dwindled. Being married with 2 young kids and being self employed eats into all my free time especially when I have my Golf to play. Like someone previously said FMC is a great idea but I just cant bring myself to play it, I feel liked id be missing out on everything else. I probably get an hour a night in maybe 3 nights a week whilst the wife watches her soaps. I wish I could get that CM01/02 kind of magic feeling back but all I find myself doing now is getting seriously stressed out watching a load of pixels run around the screen.

I wouldn't say it's my first CM memory, but the one that sticks to mind is being the manager of Italian Avellino, fighting against all odds to keep them up and signing Maradona and Neville Southall to help us.

Maradona could never play more than 30'-45' but he did score some important free kicks and was an excellent corner taker. He wouldn't do anything more than stand around waiting for a set piece, but his goals and assists helped us stay up.

They both only stayed for a few months before retiring if I remember correctly (not too sure about that though, this was at least 15 years ago).

Played CM93/94 on the PC at a friend's house. We'd take hotseat turns at the computer, waiting patiently for the endlessly long wait while results were calculated. I played Southend and my friend was Wrexham - I remember my most important players were Andy Ansah, Brett Angell and of course the stalwart in defence, Pat Scully. The Wrexham side were spearheaded by John Paskin and Steve Watkin. Good times.

I remember Isiah Rankin being a must sign for any Championship and below side. The guy was an absolute goal machine.

I also remember in one version, Arsenal screwed up and didn't renew Henry's contract and I signed him on a bosman for Man Utd. The next 3 years my strike partnership was RVN and Henry. No surprising we were top scorers in the league by an absolute mile.

My very first CM memory: Being 13 years of age, reading German Amiga games magazines universally panning the series for its lack of visual glitz and because of that not really seriously trying any CM game until: a publisher change had commenced, the series had changed its name and Greece had been crowned Champions of Europe. Before German developed games like The Manager/On The Ball had been all the rage, and that trend to value nice visuals more than depth of simulation in Germany continued way into the 2000s (with German developed FIFA Manager being touted as the best and most in-depth football manager sim ever... yeah, right.)

Talking about reviews, a couple days ago I discovered a site that collects tons of Amiga game reviews/previews of yore. There are a bucketload for early CM games in store as well, a few of them in German, and I recognized at least one of them. I didn't know CM2 was still released for Amiga too though. :D

Here's to you your ticket for your trip down memory lane: http://amr.abime.net/amr_search.php?search=championship+manager&mag_id=0&action=Find (during some times of the day the articles appear unavailable, so check back later if the "pages" numbers under the "pages" column aren't click-able, eventually they will be). Do you not like that.

CM 97/98. Playing with my mate and his two brothers, if you typed in the Manager of an international team you could take them over. I always ended up as Wales, who had a decent team strangely enough. Ireland were good too..a guy called Fitzgerald was good...also playing as Torquay united and signing a player called Devine.I missed some of the early 00's games, but every FM from 05 sucks me in. These days I'm a balding 28 year old single dad and most nights, as soon as my daughter sleeps I'm on FM. I don't think I could thank SI enough for providing an escape to what, at times, has been a difficult few years.

Skipping off school, playing CM on my mum's computer that looked down on the driveway. Regular saving - usually got a good day in here and there but occasionally she would come home early and i'd turn off the computer, losing whatever I hadn't saved. I'd bolt to the landing, open a window, climb onto the flat roof above the garage, wait for her to go in, wait a few minutes, jump down and enter the house. She never knew... still doesn't and I'm 32 and live 14,000km away!

CM01/02 when my Leeds United ruled Europe and won league titles season after season. Remember signing Emile Mpenza and the young Jose Antonio Reyes, even before he went to Arsenal IRL ..:D

Those two were brilliant, I often signed them. Also used to get a young Fernando Torres and Arjen Robben in pretty much every save.

Here's to you your ticket for your trip down memory lane: http://amr.abime.net/amr_search.php?search=championship+manager&mag_id=0&action=Find (during some times of the day the articles appear unavailable, so check back later if the "pages" numbers under the "pages" column aren't click-able, eventually they will be). Do you not like that.

Thanks for the link, Svenc :)

I found the magazine which made me buy the very first championship manager game there:

CU Amiga of April 1992 - It was exactly this review that got me fired up and I went straight to our little computer shop to order it from England :)

Great stuff!!

My first experience was probably CM 93, if i remember correctly.

I remember getting amazing results with a really stupid tactic :D

It was something like 5 midfielders and 5 attackers, chances and goals just kept coming. Probably wouldn't work that well in newer versions ;)

My first experience was probably CM 93, if i remember correctly.

I remember getting amazing results with a really stupid tactic :D

It was something like 5 midfielders and 5 attackers, chances and goals just kept coming. Probably wouldn't work that well in newer versions ;)

Now we know where Keegan got his 1996 Newcastle tactics from...

My first experience is with CM96, I have Manchester United with Cantona and Schmeichel were still playing.

I also signed Rudd Gullit, who was a player manager at Chelsea and he got European player of the year award (playing as a defensive midfielder).

Ronaldo (the fat one) was the best player in that version. Two youngster Rio Ferdinand and John Terry were rubbish, had very low attributes and no potential.

Well for me it was around the age of 15, it was 99/00 and it may have been just around the time CM00/01 was released. I was really into Premier Manager 98 and 99 and I remember going to PC world with my mum (not sure why tbf!) and I saw CM 00/01 and I thought why not I'll give it a shot a bought it. I loved it, I wasnt playing it non stop but played most days. Sad as it sounds I was really into the Sims franchise too on PC so my time was split between the two and console gaming too.

I Continued from there buying every version and my fond memory of CM 01/02 was competing for the title with Arsenal and this was (crazy I know) selling Patrick Viera for 94 Million and signing Christian Vieri to score lots of goals for me.

My other fond memory was on CM 03/04. Stockport county had just suffered double relegations, it was pre season and they were set to embark on the Conference with only 8 or 9 players. I took the job on having left my previous club, and basically cleared any dead wood and rebuilt. To my amazment with an almost completely new squad I won the league getting them back into the Football league. I steadied the ship before probably getting bored of the save or the next versio coming out!

Its moments in these games of FM or CM that make the game so good.

I sit here having won the FA cup with Swansea (Sacked by Arsenal) and just witnessing the Euro Cup draw embarking on my first European journey working at the Swans. A 2-2 draw with Man utd just now makes it even sweeter....just a shame I was 2-0 up until the 70th minute.. :(

I started playing on the old Amiga in the early 90's at my cousins house when I was about 10/11 (also playing Sensible World of Soccer), the first game I actually bought (with my pocket money!) was CM97/98 on my Dad's first PC.

Always used to buy "left-back" Thomas Gravesen for £500K, absolute beast.

• Administrators

Original Champ Man 2, 95/96 season. Must have replayed that Charity Shield match a thousand times.

I started playing on the old Amiga in the early 90's at my cousins house when I was about 10/11 (also playing Sensible World of Soccer), the first game I actually bought (with my pocket money!) was CM97/98 on my Dad's first PC.

Always used to buy "left-back" Thomas Gravesen for £500K, absolute beast.

Holding spacebar to make the game go quicker lol

CM4. Me and a mate played 2 player, I chose Crewe Alexandra and he chose Nottingham Forrest. He managed promotion n it took me 3 seasons lol. I kept Crewe up by 5 points 1st season, achieved mid-table while my mate came 14th and the 3rd season I made the play offs and won. My mate got to 9th. That desire we had, everyday we went out and played football daily. After school, all weekend and then we'd do 2 hours on CM4 on our save. My memory from it was him achieving success and moving to Barca while I managed to rule Italy with AC Milan. I knocked him out of the UCL 3 times without even winning it myself XD. Then I was bored, Real had ended up 6th and I jumped in. So, we went toe to toe for La Liga and I squashed him XD. 5 titles before he decided to go back to England :). Guti was a player I'd admired but what he did for my los blancos was amazing. I could say Raul but Guti made me sign him at every opportunity on FM.

He once managed 43 assists in one league season and managed to always create a goalscoring situation. Only guy I can say would rival him is on an FM12 save, Eden Hazard. 57 assists in 1 season, for utd. Him as a LW and Chicha as a poacher with Rooney as a DLF supporting. Chicha got 40+ every season until he was 32 lmao. I still play FM12, best Football Manager game I've played out them all. Can't compare CM to FM though, CM is stand alone legendary.

Archived