Do you consider it cheating if you send your scout to get a report on an U19 team at a club?

Let me preface that this is not a debate about using the search feature in the game and just finding the players you want to buy and making offers for them. I am against this and consider ethically incorrect FM :). I play that I can only sign players that my scouts have found on missions that I've sent them out on.

My question though is, what are thoughts on sending your scouts out to get a Team Report of an U19 squad from clubs you know have great youth facilities. I'm playing in Ligue 2 France right now but lets say, as an example, you just got promoted to Npower League 2 and can finally scout most of Europe.

We all know clubs like Crewe Alexander, Feyenoord, Ajax, SLB, Sporting Lisbon etc. have fantastic youth facilities and potential regens. Would you consider it ethically wrong to send your scout to get a team report of their youth squads and then compare the report against your squad? If a player pops out at you then you can get a further detailed a report and who knows they'll maybe want to play for you?

I'm sort of torn on it. In the past I've just waited to see what my scouts report back from countries and go based on those reports. I just noticed however that when being restricted to scouting europe I cannot get a team report from a club in asia, africa, or north america so it makes me think it's totally legit. What are your thoughts? Cheating along the same lines as just using search feature to sign the wonderkids you found on a site or totally legit scouting technique? :confused:

Whether any of those players want to sign for you is another story!

Yeah I don't see an issue with it. In essence it's how scouting works. Even at lower local levels there are often sides who seem to cultivate the best youngsters in the area and scouts naturally turn up for them. Where I'm from Wallsend Boys Club is responsible for a lot of players that have gone on to play professionally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallsend_Boys_Club

Where do you think most of the bigger clubs, get their youth players, just by chance or having scouts go round U19 and below to get some gems fro the future, to me it just makes sense as I do it all the time in game.

This was actually one of the objections smaller clubs had to EPPP, that scouts could essentially just turn up at Academy training sessions with 48 hours notice. It definitely happens in the real world, so if it isn't considered cheating there, it isn't in FM.

It's fine if you want to handicap yourself - that is a legitimate way to play. You are upping the difficulty in one of the easier parts of the game: acquiring players. I don't go to your extreme, but I don't poach the youth players on intake day. I'll scout them at the relevant clubs, and any that look good get scouted for at least three games and by multiple scouts. Then I'll attempt to buy them (usually through Release Clauses) if I really want the player. But searching for a player that your scouts haven't discovered is in no way cheating. Think of it like this: One of your staff comes to you and says, "A friend over at Walsall says there's this wonderkid you have to check out." So you send a scout to see if it's true. No ethical dilemma whatsoever.

But searching for a player that your scouts haven't discovered is in no way cheating.

So how did you find out about that player then if your scouts haven't discovered the player? Because someone using fmscout discovered they have a PA > 170 and added him to the list of wonder kids on their website for people to go snag. That I disagree with and will not do.

Think of it like this: One of your staff comes to you and says, "A friend over at Walsall says there's this wonderkid you have to check out." So you send a scout to see if it's true. No ethical dilemma whatsoever.

Yeah, how did that friend over at Walsall discover that wonder kid? Because someone using fmscout discovered they have a PA > 170 and added him to his list of wonder kids on his website for people to go snag.

That I disagree with and will not do.

So how did you find out about that player then if your scouts haven't discovered the player? Because someone using fmscout discovered they have a PA > 170 and added him to the list of wonder kids on their website for people to go snag. That I disagree with and will not do.

Yeah, how did that friend over at Walsall discover that wonder kid? Because someone using fmscout discovered they have a PA > 170 and added him to his list of wonder kids on his website for people to go snag.

Or perhaps he heard some clubs irl were following a talent and he decided to check it out? Perhaps his friend is a Walsall supporter so he told him to check out a promising player to see whether he'd be any good ingame, perhaps a player has the reputation to be known irl, but not yet in FM, perhaps he used the player on a previous version/save and checked him out, perhaps the player came up during a player search and so on.

Need more reasons that aren't FMRTE/GenieScout?

Who said anything about fmscout? Apart from people mentioning it on this website, I have no knowledge of fmscout and I will never use it. I just meant that you can search for unscouted players, and see that, for example, a GK has 17 Handling but some other stats are hidden. So you send someone to scout him to see if he's worth signing.

And in my example about Walsall, I was just giving a real-life for-instance. If you were the manager at, say, Arsenal, and one of your staff told you that, it would probably be worth checking out. (And I didn't mean "wonderkid" as the game means it - it was just an expression that someone might actually use when describing a talented player.) Just think of looking at unscouted players in the same way. Someone told you they exist, and you can investigate further if you wish. You can also look at news reports of Players of the Week/Month, Most Tackles in the league, etc... Is it fair to check those players out if your scout hasn't told you about them?

You can't rely on scouts to give you reports on every useful player. I usually have two scouts scouting my league, and they still don't find every player with the CA and/or PA that I set in their assignment.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for bringing this back to life. I just realized that I can get team report on youth intake day and it's waaaay faster than scouting every player in U19 team specifically. That's why it could be considered cheating! You get team report in 1 day and you can check potential abilities of all u19 players in that team. If you would scout them 1 by 1 it would at least take few scouts/days. FM moral dilemma!

No it's not cheating. Everyone is trying to be smart about scouting to get their hands on the best young players before anyone else does.

Perfect example is Everton (amongst other clubs) using the FM database for scouting real players:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/everton-signs-football-manager-database

If they can do this, then sure as hell you can scout any youth team in the world.

I often go through the U19 teams of a nation to check for quality players.

Archived