How much money are required in order to turn a semi-pro club to pro?

The title says everything more or less :)

I've started my ultimate Career game, with almost all leagues loaded and with my real life characteristics.

Starting as a free agent, I was eventually hired at Berwick, in Scotland's Third Division(very cool team, we're actually English but due to being at the borders and trips to rest of England would cost more, we participate in the Scotland Championships :p ).

The team is however a semi-pro one and I'm wondering what kind of balance I must achieve in order to be able to request from the board to turn us professional! Anyone knows? :)

Like vlobben says, it's not as simple as a set amount that triggers it. A lot of factors are going to come into it. Being in Scotland, it may take longer, as it may not be financially viable for a club to move up the ranks like that so quickly. A lot of third tier sides (so the one above you) were semi-pro in Scotland, and there may be some in the second tier. Can't think of any off the top of my head though.

Hmmm not very promising stuff :p

Guess I'll have some tough seasons in the start of my career :D

So probably we'll need a couple of promotions to be "sure" that professionalism will become a possibility eh?

More like a couple of CL qualifications I'd say sadly. It's a bit rough for these lower leagues. They need patience.

Oh well, if everything goes south there's always the Job Center :p

I must admit though that I'm enjoying the game much more on Lower Leagues. Differences in player quality and tactics are much more obvious.

E.g. having a guy with 18 Free Kicks (Lee Currie YEAH), is pretty darn awesome! 15 games in and he already has 6 goals from direct free kicks ;)

My team (Truro) went pro when I has around £0. I was playing in the Blue Square Premier. The team was recently acquired, so maybe the new guy was just over ambitious.

Yes, the chairman plays a big part as well.

Playing in N.Ireland, all teams are semi-pro. Linfield, the best team of the country, kept being semi-pro even when they had a value of 10M. It wasn't until they got bought by a Thai version of Abramovich that they went pro. (looked the guy up with g.scout, he has 15 on resources and 5 on patience. I can forget about getting the premier again anytime soon with the money he will pour, but I can't complain, since it will help the country rep grow, which is my long-term goal anyway.)

So ye, it's not only about gathering money. It's mostly reputation and how ambitious (or rich) the chairman is.

I don't think there is a figure as such. I'm at AFC Fylde in the Skrill Premier and after 2 seasons of good FA Cup performances we had nearly £1m in the bank, the option was there to discuss with the board but they flat out refused, saying they were happy with their place in the football pyramid due to them never being as high as they are now.

I'm going to keep on at them, but I fear unless we get a more ambitious chairman or promoted to Division 2 they will keep refusing.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 23/10/2015 at 17:55, filipsrb said:

Did someone get Profesional status with any Faroe Island club :D?

I did. I got Undrið professional after winning the league 6 times in a row, and got to the champions league group stage, so i guess that's what it takes xD

Archived