Sports Interactive Community
jujigatame

Someone please explain the PA star rating

So for a long time, Szczesny had 3 star CA but 4.5 star PA. Suddenly, overnight his PA rating drops to 3 stars and my assman starts saying he's not likely to improve. Is this legitimate? He's still only 25 so what in the world is going on here? The same thing happened with Gibbs but with him I chalked it up to injuries. Szczesny has had no injuries to speak of and I play him in basically every match.

That's not helpful. I did search and came up with nothing. I know star ratings are relative to club and/or league, but that doesn't explain such a massive overnight mid-season drop and the assman suddenly changing from "he has potential to be world-class" to "he isn't going to improve much in the future".

Try searching for it. It's the most common question on FM

Then why not answer it for him?

Because you havnt trained him properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PA - Potential ability. If you do not train them right then theres no way that they will reach their potential. As for changing overnight, sounds about right. Maybe the game re-assessed the PA and noticed hes not being trained right so changed his PA.

Because you havnt trained him properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PA - Potential ability. If you do not train them right then theres no way that they will reach their potential. As for changing overnight, sounds about right. Maybe the game re-assessed the PA and noticed hes not being trained right so changed his PA.

Monthly reports, so it will change overnight at the end of each month I assume, he must of had a poor month which has really set him back in his development.

Did you have a new GK join recently?

As far as I can tell (I may be wrong though) the star ratings are dependent on the league and your club's other players. So his PA of 4.5 stars was relative to the other really weak GK's in your squad. If you sign another really good (or potentially really good) GK then that becomes the new benchmark. So because that new GK's PA is way higher than Szczesny's, the new GK gets a PA of 5 or 4.5 and Szczesny's becomes 3.

There's not much to go on with PA. You're looking for 4-5 star every time for improvement of what's already in your team. I only keep on players with 5 star below the Premier League cause that mean's they're good to excellent Prem standard. The star rating may go down if the player hasn't developed very well due to injury, facilities, no football... there's a number of factors. Read the Ajax youth thread and it goes heavily into detail about PA.

Did you have a new GK join recently?

As far as I know, the star ratings are relative to the entire squad (among other things), not just the players in the same position.

1) I did not sign any new GKs or any new players whatsoever when this happened.

2) I'm training him with average overall intensity, individual focus on the goalkeeper role, with 4-star goalkeeping coaches, and giving him just about 100% of the first team time. So please explain how I should "properly" train him.

3) How can it be suddenly decided at age 25 that he's hit his limit of ability? The sudden jump is totally nonsensical. If the PA rating slid down from 4.5 to 4 to 3.5 over time it would have made some sense.

This is just another case of the game doing a poor job of relating useful information to the player.

1) I did not sign any new GKs or any new players whatsoever when this happened.

2) I'm training him with average overall intensity, individual focus on the goalkeeper role, with 4-star goalkeeping coaches, and giving him just about 100% of the first team time. So please explain how I should "properly" train him.

3) How can it be suddenly decided at age 25 that he's hit his limit of ability? The sudden jump is totally nonsensical. If the PA rating slid down from 4.5 to 4 to 3.5 over time it would have made some sense.

This is just another case of the game doing a poor job of relating useful information to the player.

What is the date in your game? If it is around 13 March or a bit later you may have got your youth intake with a high PA GK. It's a long shot but may be the case.

As far as I know, the star ratings are relative to the entire squad (among other things), not just the players in the same position.

You may be right, but I've noticed that if I am really weak in a particular area (say DR), then every DR I scout will have high scout ratings because they are so much better than my current options.

But I have bought a DR before with 4* PA, then brought in an even better DR with 4.5* PA and I've seen the first DR drop right down to 3* or 2.5* PA.

He turned 25, this is when this happens, I have no idea why as of yet.

The scout ratings seem to be relative to the squad. Sharp changes happen due to:

1) injury and pre season (drops but should recover)

2) intake of youth players (improved squad)

3) new signings (improved squad)

Also

- different coach report (go into the report screen and change who gives the report, different opinions can be drastic)

- players improve the most up to the age of 25, I guess once the player is 25 PA should equal CA but this is too simplistic and not something I've notice but the theory is sound

Combination of all of the above could drop a 4* to a 3* quite easily

The scout ratings seem to be relative to the squad. Sharp changes happen due to:

1) injury and pre season (drops but should recover)

2) intake of youth players (improved squad)

3) new signings (improved squad)

Also

- different coach report (go into the report screen and change who gives the report, different opinions can be drastic)

- players improve the most up to the age of 25, I guess once the player is 25 PA should equal CA but this is too simplistic and not something I've notice but the theory is sound

Combination of all of the above could drop a 4* to a 3* quite easily

Yes, star ratings are in fact relative to the squad, this is not what is being asked, I believe. A player can go from 4 stars to 3 when other players develop etc. but what is being addressed is that when a player turns 25, his PA star rating becomes the same as his CA star rating no matter what. I use fmrte as a scout tool often and I have watched the effects of this, it makes little sense. Players still continue to develop after this though.

As an example, in my far into the future game I have quite a nice team, several of my players are rated as 3 stars, which to many sounds like an average player but these same players would be 5 stars on most any other team. Star ratings are created to compare your players to your own players, not anyone else, and scout reports should show you what star rating they would be on your team if they joined you. This is not what is being asked. Apparently some people don't notice this because they do not follow star ratings (which is fine, it has been said they can be misleading? Not really if you understand how they work) and this is where the question comes in... why does a players PA star rating lock to his CA star rating at the age of 25? What is magical about this age? It happens to 100% of players in this game but there is little logic as to why because they do continue to improve.

What is the date in your game? If it is around 13 March or a bit later you may have got your youth intake with a high PA GK. It's a long shot but may be the case.

It was in the spring of 2015, but I'm certain no new high PA GKs came into the squad. My top PA youth intake players were midfielders.

As tieio says I think this is something that happens to all players at age 25. Suddenly your assman and scouts think the player has no more room for improvement.

The important thing to remember is that the actually PA figure for a player never changes. The star ratings are just cosmetic. I have had players in the same situation as yours before, and I find that the player continues to improve, whether it be by stars or otherwise.

As for why it suddenly changes I do not know, but if your player was developing well before the change, he will continue to develop after it. Maybe not so quick, but that happens generally anyway that players slow their rate of improvement as they get older.

It is very easy to get hung up on stars, but keep an eye on what is actually going on in front of you I terms of attributes. If you are worried about it, take a screenshot now of your player, and then another in 12 months time. If he is being trained properly, he should still have developed.

edit so bad information does not spread.

I dont think that is true.

There's a valid point behind it, a player will not increase CA year on year for the rest of his career as you know, he's not far off with the numbers.

It's a problem we have when creating 16 year old -9 PA youngsters but giving them low CA's in the 50-70 range. They'll struggle to get up to anything like the -9 PA range in their career in most circumstances.

There's a valid point behind it, a player will not increase CA year on year for the rest of his career as you know, he's not far off with the numbers.

It's a problem we have when creating 16 year old -9 PA youngsters but giving them low CA's in the 50-70 range. They'll struggle to get up to anything like the -9 PA range in their career in most circumstances.

It's all down the personality type he is. If he has ambition and professional then they'll always get close if trained correctly.

And he is, he's way out with his numbers based on that.

It's all down the personality type he is. If he has ambition and professional then they'll always get close if trained correctly.

And he is, he's way out with his numbers based on that.

With regards to the AI though? Most of the -9 players we create slip away unless they're given high CA's relative to their age to begin with.

Human controlled teams are an entirely different kettle of fish.

With regards to the AI though? Most of the -9 players we create slip away unless they're given high CA's relative to their age to begin with.

Human controlled teams are an entirely different kettle of fish.

This is the first time the AI has been brought into the discussion, no-one was on about the AI.

It's what I read several times around these forums for the past couple of years, if it is not true then it is certainly welcome news but any tests I have done with it have shown to be accurate. I really wish I could just search and bring up the old thread about this... but as we know the search does not work. It had items such as model citizens training better and which hidden attributes contribute most towards training. Professionalism is apparently one of the best.

It's what I read several times around these forums for the past couple of years, if it is not true then it is certainly welcome news but any tests I have done with it have shown to be accurate.

Its wrong and I've never seen this be said around this forum. It's all about the players personality type that determines if someone will/wont reach full potential.

Well that is interesting. It has been said around the forum, I guarantee it, I would not make these numbers up out of nowhere, I took this information and applied it, apparently erroneously.

I'm guessing you heard it General section of the forums then which would be understandable as most of them pretend to understand the game when they really don't and create myths like this one :)

I couldn't remember if I wanted to, I have a bad memory as it is... but I know I read it and it was a long discussion too and not a single person dismissed it as not true. I dunno how you know it isn't, I would venture to guess you have access to the game. I did test this a few times, created a few young players at the age of 15, gave them all model citizen attributes and a low CA and a very high PA, of course they stop "visibly" developing at age 25, which I have yet to understand and can't get a straight answer on because people go on about the wrong thing when I ask about it. Anyway, I will continue this test to see how far they go.

I couldn't remember if I wanted to, I have a bad memory as it is... but I know I read it and it was a long discussion too and not a single person dismissed it as not true. I dunno how you know it isn't, I would venture to guess you have access to the game. I did test this a few times, created a few young players at the age of 15, gave them all model citizen attributes and a low CA and a very high PA, of course they stop "visibly" developing at age 25, which I have yet to understand and can't get a straight answer on because people go on about the wrong thing when I ask about it. Anyway, I will continue this test to see how far they go.

Players don't stop developing at the age of 25. A player only stops developing when they've run out of PA. Some players are just late developers and obviously the older someone is the harder it is due to having less time to work on them compared to a 16 year old. But players don't just stop developing.

Players don't stop developing at the age of 25. A player only stops developing when they've run out of PA. Some players are just late developers and obviously the older someone is the harder it is due to having less time to work on them compared to a 16 year old. But players don't just stop developing.

Yes, I know they do not stop developing at 25, they stop "visibly" developing, meaning, when they turn 25 their PA stars lock to their CA. This has been mentioned, no one has really answered it because they go off on a tangent about how stars don't matter... I never said they mattered, I just wondered why they suddenly do this on all players? I realize the wording I am using is all wrong, I am tired. You can see them develop, so it isn't even a visible thing... it is just the star thing and they must slow down considerably.

Yes, I know they do not stop developing at 25, they stop "visibly" developing, meaning, when they turn 25 their PA stars lock to their CA. This has been mentioned, no one has really answered it because they go off on a tangent about how stars don't matter... I never said they mattered, I just wondered why they suddenly do this on all players?

It's because up until 24 a player is classed as being young, so when he turns 25 he's viewed as a developed player (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling for a better one. Maybe adult would be a better term?) and not a prospect so to speak.

Yeah they're all wrong ignore them, not a single one of them mentioned the players personality so its clear they don't understand training and how it works. Some of them I know for a fact they don't because they've been asking questions in another one of my threads :)

And ignore everything Mack4life says he has no clue what he's on about and always comes out with stuff like that and is always wrong.

Yeah they're all wrong ignore them, not a single one of them mentioned the players personality so its clear they don't understand training and how it works. Some of them I know for a fact they don't because they've been asking questions in another one of my threads :)

And ignore everything Mack4life says he has no clue what he's on about and always comes out with stuff like that and is always wrong.

Oh there are many other threads with information about personality and player development, but the lack of actual information about these things means threads like that one will spread incorrect information. That particular thread just affected the game play of a couple dozen people here. It obviously should have been stopped when it was posted if it was in fact misinformation. That post should honestly be edited out completely, it is one of the top results in a Google search for training information in this game, stop it now before it is spread further.

Until someone actually puts out a definitive training manual, things like this are going to continue to happen.

I pretty much covered the training manual in my threads.

But yeah. For any specific you're much better asking in here is its training/tactic related because GQ is full of people spreading rumours.

I pretty much covered the training manual in my threads.

But yeah. For any specific you're much better asking in here is its training/tactic related because GQ is full of people spreading rumours.

I have not seen your training manual anywhere. I hope you edit out that post and I do not agree it is better to post in here, it is not always a welcoming place.

Cleon, i suppose you prefer a player with good personality and poor determination rather than the opposite?

Cleon, i suppose you prefer a player with good personality and poor determination rather than the opposite?

Yeah because determination isn't really important and is 'just another attribute'.

Yeah because determination isn't really important and is 'just another attribute'.

Yet another answer that baffles me, what does this mean? "Just another attribute"? It is an attribute that helps your team come back when down late in a game, it is an attribute that allows your players to not become nervous all the time for seemingly no reason, unless again the abundance of information around the forums is wrong in this regard also?

What he means is, determination is banded about on the forums as being the single most important personality attribute, when it really isnt, its just another one of the attributes. Yes it can help if your trying to pull back a losing position, but you can still do it without a very determined squad. I dont think its got a lot to do with nervousness either, thats more related to the hidden pressure attribute.

I knew that CA thing was rubbish, and seeing who has said it has fully backed it up.

Yet another answer that baffles me, what does this mean? "Just another attribute"? It is an attribute that helps your team come back when down late in a game, it is an attribute that allows your players to not become nervous all the time for seemingly no reason, unless again the abundance of information around the forums is wrong in this regard also?

Not to speak for CLeon, but I took it to mean that in terms of player development, it is not important. All attributes are important to something, else why have them? But a high determination in a player won't really affect whether he reaches his potential.

It's an on the field attribute and no different to the other attributes in that respect. Its no more important than any of the others unless you always go behind in games then its useful.

People used to make out determination was the be and end all of player development when it has nothing to do with that at all.

What he means is, determination is banded about on the forums as being the single most important personality attribute, when it really isnt, its just another one of the attributes. Yes it can help if your trying to pull back a losing position, but you can still do it without a very determined squad. I dont think its got a lot to do with nervousness either, thats more related to the hidden pressure attribute.

I knew that CA thing was rubbish, and seeing who has said it has fully backed it up.

Which is terrific for you, but what about the countless people who read that every day and DON'T know who he is or that it is not correct? As I said, it is one of the top things you end up finding when you search for player development information in Google, which is what MOST people who play this game use, not these forums. I guarantee that at least 75% of people who play this game just use Google search to find what they are looking for in regards to this game and very few ever join these forums or browse them in depth, so things like that thread really need to be deleted in a bad way.

It's an on the field attribute and no different to the other attributes in that respect. Its no more important than any of the others unless you always go behind in games then its useful.

People used to make out determination was the be and end all of player development when it has nothing to do with that at all.

And yet, your reply before would make someone like me assume you are saying it is not important at all for anything. Information is vital, especially since it seems a multitude of players are playing this game with an abundance of misinformation. Been searching here, can't find your manual on training and player development anywhere.

Which is terrific for you, but what about the countless people who read that every day and DON'T know who he is or that it is not correct? As I said, it is one of the top things you end up finding when you search for player development information in Google, which is what MOST people who play this game use, not these forums. I guarantee that at least 75% of people who play this game just use Google search to find what they are looking for in regards to this game and very few ever join these forums or browse them in depth, so things like that thread really need to be deleted in a bad way.

What can i say? We can only help those who come and ask.

You cannot make that guarantee because you will have no idea of the numbers, but anyway, now you know, now you can change you approach.

And yet, your reply before would make someone like me assume you are saying it is not important at all for anything. Information is vital, especially since it seems a multitude of players are playing this game with an abundance of misinformation. Been searching here, can't find your manual on training and player development anywhere.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375145-The-Santos-Project-Tactical-and-Player-Development

Not sure where you've searched but there on the first page of this forum. And last years thread is in the important links thread at the top of the forum.....you can't have looked or you'd have seen both unless you didn't look properly :D

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343043-Ajax-Youth-Development-%E2%80%93-When-The-Real-World-Meets-Football-Manager

And my reply shouldn't make you think it didn't do anything, if you read it correctly it should have made you think its no more important than the others. I'm not sure how you jump from 'its just another attribute' to 'worthless'.

What can i say? We can only help those who come and ask.

You cannot make that guarantee because you will have no idea of the numbers, but anyway, now you know, now you can change you approach.

You CAN help, by removing the threads like that one with such misinformation that is 7th result on a Google search when looking for such information, which is why it took me only seconds to find it again because two of the people I play this game with regular are here and reminded me how to find it quickly again. I can make such a guarantee because I know marketing and research in regards to these types of things, it is what I do.I may even being being generous in saying 25% do join, so if anything I am under estimating to be safe.

Well, I guess YOU can't help really, you are not a moderator but one of the moderators can help this spread of misinformation.

Not sure where you've searched but there on the first page of this forum. And last years thread is in the important links thread at the top of the forum.....you can't have looked or you'd have seen both unless you didn't look properly :D

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343043-Ajax-Youth-Development-%E2%80%93-When-The-Real-World-Meets-Football-Manager

And my reply shouldn't make you think it didn't do anything, if you read it correctly it should have made you think its no more important than the others. I'm not sure how you jump from 'its just another attribute' to 'worthless'.

I read it the way an average person would, and my two mates here agree. Not so much worthless as unimportant.

Those are your training and player development manuals for Football manager?

You CAN help, by removing the threads like that one with such misinformation that is 7th result on a Google search when looking for such information, which is why it took me only seconds to find it again because two of the people I play this game with regular are here and reminded me how to find it quickly again. I can make such a guarantee because I know marketing and research in regards to these types of things, it is what I do.I may even being being generous in saying 25% do join, so if anything I am under estimating to be safe.

Well, I guess YOU can't help really, you are not a moderator but one of the moderators can help this spread of misinformation.

You can also help yourself by not believing the first thing you read. Plus see that something about training is happening not in the training forum, surely that sets off alarm bells that it could be wrong? After all you're in marketing so you should know that the first thing that pops up on Google can be easily influenced with certain key words etc and doesn't prove its true or helpful, pretty standard for anyone in your industry to know :)