v 4-1-2-2-1/4-3-3/4-5-1

I've currently got a 41221 with man utd going in year 2020.I like it as my main/base formation but when i come up against top teams using the same system away from home i struggle.What formation would be best to use against it.Just loast 2-1 away to arsenal and couldn't really get hold of the game.Away is always going to be tougher.

Basically would like to know what is the best formation to go up against a 4-1-2-2-1,is going 4-1-2-2-1 the right?,what would i need to adjust on mine to make it work better.

I lie the half back,works well in severl ways for me,good outlet of the ball from the back.But,v a 1 striker system like the 41221 is he really needed.Should he have more of a support roll?.

2upvmom.png[/img]

212eu79.png[/img]

2cgomjp.jpg[/img]

2lx9jpc.png[/img]

23lmdqv.png[/img]

Some screen shots there.

Been using the tactic since the 6-0 win v C.Palace,has been going well,creating a good amount of quality chances and not conceding a vast amount of goals.,the false 9 bringing the wide men into play and have a fair amount of shots.Not always succesfull with their shots though as all my wingers are right footed so a lot of shots on the right are across goal.

Just looking for advice to make my tactic better v bigger teams.

I think people will pull up on 2 box to box mids.I llke them as they give the lone striker good support as before i played box to box mids he cam very isolated,they are there and give him an option of a pass.

from the pictures on your avarage positions it seems that your striker got too isolated. Look at the distance between your midfield and the striker. If you look at Arsenal they got their wingers higher up and thus could combine better in attack. You also have space beween the midfield and the defence. I think that this is due to your playing deeper. You play deeper but then when you attack you play on control and the mdifield moves higher up but the defence stays deep and so you leave space for the opposition to operate in.

Ronny is correct, your striker is getting isolated. This is probably a combination of dropping deeper and 2 B2B mids.

So having a f9 lone striker is perfectly fine, but your 2 wide men, are wingers, which means no one is getting into the box. I would suggest changing one to an inside forward, I'd also suggest setting one flank to W/IF-S + FB/WB-A and the other flank to W/IF-A + FB/WB-S (wingback if using an IF on that flank). This way you have some overlapping going on. You should try to have one of your CMs set to attacking, most likely a CM-A would be best over an AP-A. Leave the other on B2B mid and i think you'll be pretty happy with the result.

Also Drop Deeper + Hassle Opponents is going to leave some holes in your defense. I would suggest dropping one or the other.

Thanks guys,when i load up next i'll put your ideas into play.Before i had wingers and box to box i lined up lie how you said

gk

dr(a) dc dc dl(s)

dm(s)

cm(a) cm(s)

if(a) if(s)

f9(s)

Think i will go back tot that setup.I changed to this as i thought i would get better defensive stability.Keeping in lines,players set to hold position on players where it's eligble,no roaming,sticking to positions on team setup.

The space like you said between def and mid like you said is to great,i should have seen it,it's there staring at me in the face.Do you think keep the half back or just for when i play against 2 strikers or team with striker and amc.Like then v arsenal they had the 1 striker,the half back was maybe wasted,the 2 cb should deal with the lone striker then allow the half back be more involved in attack roles.Maybe in a def mid role or deep lying playmaker.

People use it as a general rule to play the player in the DM as a halfback when facing two strikers formation and to switch to DMC when playing against one striker formation but i think it depends on two other aspects, if they have a player in the AMC position maybe a Anchor is the best, the Anchor will shut the hole

Personally i like playing a DLP(d) in the DM position but a DLP that is very good defensively but that has some obvious flaws as he tends to roam about a bit but I like to think that the benefits outweigh this because DLP from the DM position starts up better attacks and more attacks because he is easier to find then a playmaker higher up.

Archived