End of Season Team Talks

So, my Grimsby team have just won promotion from League 1 to the Championship.

Everyone's morale is sky high.

Why am I forced into holding a Team Meeting? Why is it not optional?

For the sake of argument, I have tried every possible permutation of setting expectations for next season.

I do not manage to make any of my already as happy as they can be players any happier!

But I manage to demotivate between 4 and 10 players, no matter what I say!

So what's the point, and why can't I decline to hold the meeting in the first place if my players are all already super-happy?!

I would guess that it's because it would be unrealistic not to hold one, especially given that you had just gained promotion! Your players would be eager to know your thoughts and aims for the coming season surely?

Granted, I completely agree!

However, it is not possible to hold this meeting without demotivating at least 4 players, who should all be delighted!

No biggie, but a very silly little 'feature'!

Not quite as silly as the one when the players come back from the end of season break so you have to talk to them, except loads of them are still at some international fixture somewhere, so you end up talking to 4 guys and the cleaner.

Just won the treble so I congratulated them all. Out of 30 odd players only 5 had any positive change. No negatives ones though. Probably should have been more, as it was a big achievement and the majority of players love me (favoured personnel).

I've had a few where there has been no effect whatsoever. No positive, no negative, then I have to end it like "that's exactly the reaction I was after". The "that wasn't the reaction I was after" seems to just annoy more players.

• 2 weeks later...

Won the FA Cup with Everton, who were 19th when I took over. We finished 12th.

Yet again, the end of season meeting. Doesn't matter what you say, or how you say it, there are at least 6 annoyed players.

Sadly, I tried every permutation. Silly feature. Adds nothing at all to the game, and in facts detracts from it.

I don't understand this feature at all. I must be missing something obvious but every time it goes like this:

Me: "Great season lads, I think we can achieve 'X' next year"

Player 1: "Not ambitious enough"

Player 2: "That's too ambitious"

My choices of reply:

a) "That's exactly the sort of reaction I was after"

b) "I have to say I'm a little disappointed with that reaction".

Which reaction!? They were complete opposite reactions and I cannot reply to them individually!?

I have had a few come back after the holiday and say I am right about my ambitions for the season (as in they first thought I was being too ambitious) However at the end of the season surely you would have a word with the board first about the ambitions and make sure that they will back you financially otherwise what you say to the players wouldn't matter. No point saying you will get in to the champions league if the board won't give you enough money to do that.

I don't understand this feature at all. I must be missing something obvious but every time it goes like this:

My choices of reply:

Which reaction!? They were complete opposite reactions and I cannot reply to them individually!?

This. Totally this.

Not quite as silly as the one when the players come back from the end of season break so you have to talk to them, except loads of them are still at some international fixture somewhere, so you end up talking to 4 guys and the cleaner.
Hate when this happens.

OK I took over Charlton when they were in the relegation zone after they were tipped to finish 8th. We survived and even won the JPT. End of season comes team meeting arrives. I think play offs is reasonable since we showed promotion form (I won 10 of my last 12 games) but I bet it will be a mixed feeling round the group. But doesnt matter anyway as 5 players contracts are up and I wont be renewing them lol

edit: I went with top half finish and 8 of them had a positive reaction (1 player though is leaving as I am not renewing their contract) all the rest didnt react in anway

I'm not usually one to say this, but its a terrible addition to the game, the responses are completely unrelated to whats happened, or what your able to achieve. I had an end of season meeting after winning the league telling everyone to come back and do the same next season which one player said was right, another said it wasnt ambitious enough!? I dont think i could do more than win the league! It really seems like this was just thrown on somewhere along the line, surely no one used this feature and thought the responses were realistic? Either that or they were unable to fix it so close to release.

Like i say i dont tend to get annoyed with the game, but that wound me up. The better part was in the pre-season meeting i said something along the lines of lets meet the ambitions i said at the end of the season, and my ENTIRE squad was unhappy about me not being ambitious enough. Again, i won the league, the top league in the country, there is nothing more i can do than win the league domestically and i told them i wanted to win it again.

Really not sure how this part of the game slipped the net. I now holiday these. (thankfully someone pointed out i could do that!)

I still do them but I always save before, sometimes you get some really stupid responses/reactions. If it'd a negative response from a non key player then I won't care and just continue. The worst is does is lower their morale from superb to maybe good. That aside, as other have said its a completely broken feature. I had the same case as milnerpoint about not being ambitious enough yet winning the league.

My choices of reply:

This! The choices you are given are incredibly insufficient. A, so far, terrible addition to the game in my opinion.

Archived