My star player walking out on a free ...damn!

In my Liverpool saved, I got the shock when PSG has offered a contract to Luis Suarez, then I remember he has less than 6 months left on his contract. He now refuse to enter a contract talk with me :eek: Holy ****, I must have been too overwhelmed with the good run of results in the league, FA cup and Champions league that I overlooked the reminder of players contracts expiring.

Damn .. should have sold him in the previous season when Madrid offered 35m, now he is walking out free!

Wonder when you guys look into renewing players' contracts, especially the key players?

Key players i always tend to sign long contracts with, even if it costs me a bit more.

You do get reminders though, for contracts set to expire in 1 year and 6 months i think it is, so you must have overlooked that.

Generally a good idea to renew contracts with 1 year or less than 1 year left as soon as you realize it. For example it happens to my every Chelsea save that Ashley Cole gets alienated, because just can't stand any critics therefore gets unhappy and refuse to enter contract talks and eventually leaves on free, even if he can perform at the highest level even at 34-35years old, not to mention his worth in money.

Wonder when you guys look into renewing players' contracts, especially the key players?

Start of every season to see who's contract is running out. If I notice one of my best players, who is in the peak of his career, half 2 years or less on the contract then I offer him a new one first. Everyone else can wait :p

Shoddy organisational skills on your part I'm afraid, there's no way I'd ever have Suarez on anything less than 2 years to run if I was managing Liverpool.

Ha! Stick the knife in why not. True though....

I always have the contract expiry date on the main squad screen just by customising the view. This way it's easy to see.

• Administrators

I always lock in my 'star' players around 18 months before their contract expires if I can help it. If anyone gets under 10 months it's normally because they either hate me or I don't really want to keep them.

I always lock in my 'star' players around 18 months before their contract expires if I can help it. If anyone gets under 10 months it's normally because they either hate me or I don't really want to keep them.

Yeah me too. If it gets to a year or less I start worrying. When talks break down then a stubborn agent can occasionally take it too close for comfort, but that doesn't happen too often if you keep pestering them. I generally struggle to keep 'star' players anyway as my club usually needs the money, due to the fact I like to help debt ridden clubs.

Suarez is a big one to miss! Not sure I've ever screwed up on that kind of scale, contract wise.

Well, I took over Liverpool in 2015 recently, and blew half the wage budget on a new five year contract for Suarez. I certainly wouldn't wait until 6 months remained on his contract! :)

For key players (the ones I can't afford losing my rivals), I will not even let their contracts go below 2 years. These guys (the likes of CR7/Lewa) are too good for me to lose and too expensive to find a replacement for, so I'm willing to pay good money to keep them at the club. The optional contract extension clause added in this year's FM is great.

If they are younger and first team I give them new contract about 1.5-2 years before it expires. If they are above 30 years (33 and more) i wait untill the last year of the contract starts. They are more likely to accept wage cut at that stage, i'm not giving a big raise to a 35 year old player, club legend or not :D

How does it exactly work ?...I suppose it only benefits player as its optional if he want a contract extension....no benefit for manager i guess ?

No, this one is activated by you whenever you want it. I normally try to stick 2-3 years and activate it as soon as I get the the player to sign the contract. Basically, if everything goes to plan I can get a player to sign an 8 year contract (5(max length possible)+3(from the clause)= 8).

Around 2 months before January I review contracts and sign any player with 18 months left, to a new deal. If not, they will either be allowed to have their contract run (those with 6months left) or be sold. Always a good idea to review your squad and make plans for the future.

As soon as promising youngsters turn 18 I give them a 5 year deal aswell. Don't like to keep giving them 3 year deals, normally hold off until they turn 18.

oneronaldo: Players/agents always seem to remove that clause when I put it in, but I haven't tried hard to keep it. Do you need to increase wages a fair bit. I notice players want more in terms of wages if you add 1-2 more years on.

After the final game of the season I ditch go through all three of my squads and decide their future. If they are going to be big players for me I make sure that if they have a year left they get offered a new deal. Only players that are back up or i'm unsure about have to wait until the Christmas reminders. If you are clever with your negotiations you can give yourself more money to work with if you are a smaller club.

To let your star player get that low in contract length is almost criminal!!

I wait till the 6 month reminder, then I offer them next to nothing. It's my way of saying "I'm the boss". They always back down and beg me to keep them at even more reduced wages. Try it sometime. I had one negotiation with Podolski when he was 33, and I was exceptionally tough on his agent, so the negotiations broke down with no agreement, the next day Podolski fired his agent. I won. Don't mess.

Actually more seriously I just wait till the 1 year reminder and offer everyone a contract who I *need*, pay whatever it takes. If I don't need them but would like them to stay then I get tough. If I don't want or need them then I punch them in training when no one's looking. Makes them leave sooner.

oneronaldo: Players/agents always seem to remove that clause when I put it in, but I haven't tried hard to keep it. Do you need to increase wages a fair bit. I notice players want more in terms of wages if you add 1-2 more years on.

I do actually, because some of these guys will be extremely costly to replace if I let them go. Paying them a little bit more in wages, considering their performances for my club, is fairly justified. You can't just let some striker of Lewandowski's ability walk out on a free and then expect to find an equal replacement without blowing at least 30m+ in transfer fees, not to mention the wages involved might also be astronomical.

Key players I renew 18 months before expiry at the latest, preferably even two years before expiry. The one thing I don't want is them leaving for free...

The only exception is when those players are >30, as their demands usually plummet when approaching the expiry date and losing them for free doesn't harm as much. However, I rarely have key players of that age as I usually sell just before they hit 30.

Accidently let Wilsheres contract get to the 9 month mark before entering negotiations, and he refused to even speak to me! Signed to Man City on a free =/

...Looking for trophies? Just kidding, mate :D

depends on which league I was playing in. The higher league I am in...the faster I renew their contract.

Also, if you are renewing yourself, and you are going tough on the wage...just ignore the "year" until you got down the wage to the acceptable amount...and just sign with non-negotiable for X years on the acceptable wage. 100% signs.

I locked in so many like this. They all thought it was 1 year deal and sold their life to me~~ muwahaha

My first FM save ever, my star player's contract expired in December of the second season... didn't realize it and lost him on a free in the summer. Never letting that happen again.

12 months is definitely my cutoff point for contracts with key players. I want those situations cleared up in the summer window... if I can't keep them for a reasonable salary, I'm selling and re-investing the funds before the season starts. Usually I'm able to get deals done though.

depends on which league I was playing in. The higher league I am in...the faster I renew their contract.

Also, if you are renewing yourself, and you are going tough on the wage...just ignore the "year" until you got down the wage to the acceptable amount...and just sign with non-negotiable for X years on the acceptable wage. 100% signs.

I locked in so many like this. They all thought it was 1 year deal and sold their life to me~~ muwahaha

Nice tip, will try that contract extensions one too.

After suffering some stubborn day-light robbery contract negotiations, it's time for the some pay-back!

Archived