Sports Interactive Community
Goob1183

Is FMC too easy? I think it is

Obviously it is meant to be easier to live with as most micro-management tasks are taken care of for you.

But is it too easy with smaller sides to have success? Difficulty-wise?

Both I and another FMC'er on the forum agree that it is.

Im playing with Chimney Corner, made 1 signing who is a striker but nothing special, and seem to have had a brilliant start and cant stop winning. Only using basic tactics with 1 or 2 instructions, hardly intricate "dossier" style tactics. I know that a good start can happen but its the same for my acquiantance as well, hes finding it too easy with Gosport. We are just not losing to teams we should be.

I'm just looking for a general consensus on this. Is anyone else finding it too easy and not a challenge?

I am loving FMC, perfect for me as I dont have the energy or will to play the full game anymore and I'm sure others are the same.

If the consensus is that its too easy then SI need to look at it. This mode is going out on PS Vita at some point(if not already). We know that handheld users are more of a market now, do SI want to disappoint them?

I certainly don't think it's 'too easy', as I've been sacked twice (Sunderland and Hibs) in this year's version.

It never fails to intrigue me how certain people just seem to be good at this game, despite not doing anything extraordinary, yet year on year I can never get any level of success in the game. There's clearly something I'm missing, but I can't for the life of me work out what it is.

My Hibs save which ended today with a sacking after an utter farcical result was a prime case in point. My players were among the best in the league (having finished 3rd the year before), and my tactics were sound, with positions and roles that perfectly suited my players. I had a perfect balance of attacking and defending roles, yet over the last 3 months of the save, the team were being ripped to shreds with no indication why.

I know how to set up a team in practice, and can advise others of how to do the same, but when it comes to implementation in my own saves, nothing ever works.

Other than a few lower league titles, I have still not won a proper trophy in any FM game since CM 01/02. :(

As it has exactly the same ME as the Simulation Mode, there is no reason for it to be any different in terms of difficulty.

The superfluous stuff from Simulation mode that is excluded (or minimal) in FMC such as Media Interaction, elements of training etc. are not influential enough to materially make FMC easier.

Im no genius either Dave!!! Only trophy Ive won on FM was on 10 where i won the Football League Championship with Ipswich about 5/6 years into the game. Played 12 to death and just couldn't crack it so I'm no tactical mastermind. My FMC save could be screwed by a major bug with captaincy upsetting my striker so Im not too bothered at the moment.

Interesting so far(if only 2 replies)

As it has exactly the same ME as the Simulation Mode, there is no reason for it to be any different in terms of difficulty.

Well there is, as tactical familiarity isn't an issue. Also, player concerns are nowhere near as severe, meaning morale is more stable. Although the ME is the same, there is stuff which influence player performance that aren't in this version of the game.

It never fails to intrigue me how certain people just seem to be good at this game, despite not doing anything extraordinary, yet year on year I can never get any level of success in the game. There's clearly something I'm missing, but I can't for the life of me work out what it is.

I really wish I didn't but I agree with this...:)

Well there is, as tactical familiarity isn't an issue. Also, player concerns are nowhere near as severe, meaning morale is more stable. Although the ME is the same, there is stuff which influence player performance that aren't in this version of the game.

You have a good point regarding the Tactical Familiarity.

The other bumph like morale remains an issue, we just now have less of a direct opportunity to improve or, more likely, cause it to deteriorate via interactions.

It is nice how players complain a lot less, at least in ways you see. It is easier to maintain morale in this version, I agree with that assertion completely. There is far less of a chance of saying the wrong thing and annoying your players. As an overall experience I do not think it is easier, getting from a lowish league to the top is still very difficult in this version and in the main/full/whatever version. FMC is faster, so I find you can adjust on the fly and see the results of your labor a lot quicker which might make it seem easier? I dunno, I enjoy playing an entire season in one evening.

I think many things are easier and some things are harder, overall it is just different. I get annoyed with FM because I feel like I spending more time keeping my players happy than actually managing. There is less baby sitting and more time just playing, maybe that does make it easier?

I'm no FM don, but I managed to take Plymouth from League 2 to the Premier League in a few seasons. THe only year I didnt get promoted was my first, after that its been back to back promotions year on year. I dunno if its easy, or I'm just really good for once. It makes a change as I'm usually rubbish!

Nope would not say it's easy but it's the one for many a year that you jsut have to keep going hence I actually enjoy it more.

Had many seasons with the likes of spurs/newcastle/liverpool and to be fair have been sacked more than not but then have achieved some decent things but not winning any big prizes.

Then I thought right lets go for a big gun i.e. real madrid but tick one of challenges at the same time i.e. remaining unbeaten one which of course I did. Then I thought to continue with the game and yes won la liga in 15,16 2nd in 17 and then won it again in 18. Got 2 spanish cups in that time but nope you've guessed it, no CL title, 2 semis and a final but then it's not like they've bettered that in real life in over 10 years.

Anyhow could have gone on but now have picked the "cant win anything with kids" challenge (might aswell try 2 things at once like above) hence man city so hopefully a first prem title will happen and yeah you never know a CL somewhere along the way up till say 2020.

It is easier to maintain morale in this version, I agree with that assertion completely.

It's easier to maintain good morale, but it's harder to turn around bad morale IMO. A run of bad form can really spiral out of control on you in a hurry and you can't team talk your way out of it.

Of course I guess if you're good that won't happen in the first place.

I'm sure many full version players would say so, because FMC is looked on a casual gamers game, and thus looked down on. Seeing as the Tactics is the same as full, it's still a tough game at times, with all the intricacies of the tactics, from players roles, formations, shouts, individual instructions etc. And then there's the Team Talks, just that alone can swing a result your way in the second half, which on FMC is not possible. There may be no punishment for changing formation for example, but that's the same for the AI teams, so a level playing field. I've watched some full version games players upload to youtube, and from what i've seen there, it doesn't look too much harder than FMC, if at all. Only way really to judge would be to play an FMC save and a Full version save with the same team, same tactics etc over a few seasons, and from that see if there is much difference. But then again, variable such as injuries can blight one of those saves, as well as the schedule of games etc.

It might be easy, but it isn't easier than "normal" FM. I've got games going on both, struggle more on FMC to be honest.

Anyhow could have gone on but now have picked the "cant win anything with kids" challenge (might aswell try 2 things at once like above) hence man city so hopefully a first prem title will happen and yeah you never know a CL somewhere along the way up till say 2020.

Prem won in first season hence challenge objective also completed, went out in qrt final of CL, into season 2 and top at xmas with Leverkusen in first KO round...

Of course FMC is easier than full FM. It's designed to be. I have not been able to complete a season of full FM without being sacked or resigning because of abysmal results, yet I try FMC and was achieving exactly what the board requested of me. I've played FM and Champ Man before it since the very first version, and tbh this year the difficulty level has gone up massively, confirmed by the massive number of people who have said that this year's version is 'too hard'. I'm not sure if that's true, but certainly the influence that 'tactic familiarity' has needs to be reduced significantly. Look at what happens IRL, a new manager comes in, and his team are playing the way he wants them to within the first few weeks. Minor tweaks such as adding or removing a shout, changing fluidity or mentality also affect familiarity to far too great an extent.

Of course FMC is easier than full FM. It's designed to be.

It's really not. I've seen people achieve and struggle in equal measure, but the AI isn't any different (ie. it's not made to be easier in FMC) to the full version so it's not any easier or harder, really.

There's some features that aren't in FMC, granted (Tactical Familiarity is one), but that's not necessarily making the game any 'easier', it's the same for the AI. FMC is about being quicker to play, not easier.

Think of FMC as a separate game, comparing it to FM with the differences between them is quite subjective. Some might find it's easier because there's no tactical familiarity, others might find it harder due to less player & team interaction or press conferences.

I'd argue some parts of FMC make it harder. You can't control PPM's or tweak individual player attributes through tutoring to get the exact squad you want. You gotta work with what you have. Retraining a position is also more difficult, as the only way to do it is simply play them there, ages before they're really effective in that new spot.

I agree with Possums, that some aspects are harder. I have just started an FMC save for the first time (Going away for a while so going to get the Vita version in a few days), and already I have noticed that it is much harder to affect players progression, unlike the full version where I can micromanage each players training.

And I think part of the fact alot of people are having success on FMClassic is because they think it will be easier, rather than it actually being easier. Let me explain:

I think of myself as quite good at FM, and my tactics vary from being very detailed, with lots of individual instructions and tweaks, to being very basic. I have come to realise that actually, unless you know exactly what you are doing, many tactics can be wrecked by trying to go into to much detail in the instructions. On FM14 I have struggled anywhere outside the top flight tbh, but recently I decided to use a very basic, classic 4-4-2 tactic. It worked wonders with Watford, and now i am using a very similar basic tactic with Oxford on FMC.

So I think because people put less effort into tactics on FMC, it means less tactics are being wrecked by incorrect decisions, meaning more successful FM games :)

Doesn't seem any easier to me , seems the same . I think people like to put FMC down . Personally I think it has rejuvenated the game and got back to what made FM/CM great.

You could argue its slightly harder because you have less ways to raise morale once you have mastered team talks etc..

7 games into a new save after playing the full version. Much prefer this except I am finding it way too easy. Admitadly I may be on a lucky streak, but 7 games into the season with West Ham ive won 6 and drawn 1, including beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd. Thinking I should change my tactics to make my self worse, but thats just mental!!! Not sure what to do, would love this to be challenging

7 games into a new save after playing the full version. Much prefer this except I am finding it way too easy. Admitadly I may be on a lucky streak, but 7 games into the season with West Ham ive won 6 and drawn 1, including beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd. Thinking I should change my tactics to make my self worse, but thats just mental!!! Not sure what to do, would love this to be challenging

Considering the ME and tactics are exactly the same, I'm going with lucky streak.