Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ackter

Making Messi Messi(ish)

Ahah, Messi out with a dead leg and I lose my first game of the season 2-1 away at Shaktar :D

Barcelona's form dropping when Messi isn't on the pitch? Who say's FM isn't realistic :brock:

I've made the change so that my wingbacks now play on opposite sides so they're forced to cut inside and pass instead of cross.

The results have been... explosive...

You Just Changed position or added some new player instructions???

So in order to summarize (and see if I understood), you've set up Messi as an advanded forward without particular instructions apart a more direct passing and with your wingback playing on their opposite foot (so cutting inside and not crossing).

I want to take the best of Messi in the class Barca tactic. With 2 inside forwards.

If I follow your idea I will set Messi as Advanded forward/Attack.

I will set Neymar as left inside forward and more direct passing (as I use team instruction short passing)

I will set Sanchez/Pedro as right inside forward and more direct passing/cross less often. Both on support.

As I'm also playing with Complete wing back, I may use cross less often too.

What do you think about it?

Only way to find out is to try it and see. Bear in mind that my entire team is set up to feed Messi, and very little else.

You Just Changed position or added some new player instructions???

Changed position and added Cross Less Often.

Season 2

Continuing on from my ultra narrow, swapped wingback formation, Messi has hit the ground running - getting 8 PoM awards in his first 10 matches.

I'm going to do the stats separate for each season, though I'll probably combine them for a summary at the end of each season.

Messi Stats

Games: 10

Shots: 60

On Target: 34 (57%)

Goals: 17 (5 braces, 1 hattrick)

Minutes per Goal: 54.71

Assists: 8

Ah, it looks like postimage is screwing up at the moment which is why some of you can't see the screens. It'll fix itself at some point.

Still better than imageshack.

That's ahead of the rate from season one already!

You can get 80+ if this continues, which is quite mental really.

Are you watching games in any detail or just whizzing through?

I stopped playing FMC but the sheer fun you can have at speed is really well captured in this thread. I might be tempted back!

Wish I had time to attempt this :(

I'm whizzing through using match plans about half the time now. I've set one up to play exactly like I do (ie change nothing, just make subs after 70 minutes or when needed).

I do watch the other half of the matches in Extended though to see if there's anything else I can tune to get more out of him.

Wish I had time to attempt this :(

You've never been able to get your players scoring more than mine :brock:

Do You Have any other players instructions? Or is it just like it is on the previous posts?

A VERY intersting thread, thank you.

About to give up on FM2014, after having tweaked my Tottenham tactics to no end, and still ending up with losing the matches, despite dominating and having lots of shots (whom are generally off target). Will adopt your philosophy and try some patient tweaking on a defensive tactic.

Never been the defensive one in the 21 years I've been playing these games ;)

Not yet. Only played one game since (the art of suspense dictates i not say if he scored or not).

Well, I've been reading this thread, and as I felt I was struggling offensively with my own tactic, I kept your advice in mind as I was looking for an opportunity to try out your suggestion.

As I just quit my job with Forest Green (I had got them to the Championship and I felt I couldn't get them much further) I took the low rep job of Coventry City, who had been struggling and found themselves above mid-table in the Conference Premier. And low and behold they had both right and left wingbacks and I thought "lets try the Messi Messi-ish tactic" and I gotta say it seems to work pretty good at the lower league side, too. At least offensively, I only played two games so far, and they ended 3-5 and 6-1.

My AF(A) scored 1 goal in the first match and all six in the second.

Now I lost the first match, however the team were only 35-40% familiar with the tactic, and we were up both 2-0 and 3-1 before we collapsed. so I won't blame the tactic for that loss.

My implementation is a little different, because I don't have neither sweeper nor DM so I am playing like a classic 3-5-2 formation, with my playmakers lining up on both sides of the CM. The sweeper I have just moved up to the other defenders, however I am considering having my CD on covering duty instead of the sweeper role.

The team instructions I'm using are the same as in post #23.

Thanks for all the hard work, now I will go back to reaping the benefits of your labour. :-)

Yeah, you've pretty much sacrificed the defensive stability for added attacking presence by the looks of it.

I'd suggest changing the central most DC to cover, and the central most CM to defend. You'll have a little bit more of a gap between your defensive and midfield lines, but it might work with the right defensive line.

Slight change to the formation again to try and make Messi an even bigger focal point of the team. It seems to have improved his shots per game ratio at the expense of his shots on target ratio - however, he's still scoring like a monster. He's even getting more assists.

2upag69.jpg

Messi Stats

Games: 20

Shots: 130

On Target: 73 (56%)

Goals: 30 (10 braces, 1 hattrick)

Minutes per Goal: 61.00

Assists: 10

He has failed to score in 1 match, at home to Real Madrid.

Changes made:

DLF (S) ==> AP (A) (basically a reverse of intentions. Instead of someone dropping deep from attack, it's someone attacking from deep)

AP(A) ==> CM (A) (to get someone else further forward to increase the options when attacking)

DLP(D) ==> DLP(S) (to get him involved in the build up of moves, another option for the attack)

He has failed to score in 1 match, at home to Real Madrid.

The most important match if I may say.

Yup, but also the toughest defence.

He still managed a number of good shots, but just couldn't get the goal.

This thread is great! Almost makes me want to try something similar with Ronaldo, but I don't think I can do it.

Season 1:

av5rmo.jpg

Games: 52

Shots: 317

On Target: 184 (57%)

Goals: 73 (14 braces, 4 hattricks)

Minutes per Goal: 64.55

Assists: 12

Games without scoring: 1

Season 2:

doqh77.jpg

Games: 52

Shots: 315

On Target: 172 (56%)

Goals: 71 (19 braces, 2 hattricks)

Minutes per Goal: 66.24

Assists: 20

Games without scoring: 3

2 Seasons Combined:

Games: 104

Shots: 635

On Target: 356 (56%)

Goals: 144 (33 braces, 6 hattricks)

Minutes per Goal: 65.40

Assists: 32

Games without scoring: 4

So technically, a bit of a failure of a second season.

Though the 8 extra assists make up for the 2 less goals overall, that's not really the point of this. Shame he couldn't find the net in two of those 3 games...

Though the 8 extra assists make up for the 2 less goals overall, that's not really the point of this. Shame he couldn't find the net in two of those 3 games...

this is a great thread. not only is it interesting to see how well your doing but im also sure it has inspired many to try this for themselves. very tempted to try it myself with man united!

just finished my 1st season with them using my own tactic but 2nd season think I will bite the bullet and just go for it with this one

In terms of all round play his 2nd season was much better imo. Shame the thread is about goals though :D

I wouldn't call it exactly a "failure", because 71 goals is still a lot. Do you have him take free kicks from both sides? How is he set up on corners? Can you post some more videos of his goals from the 2nd season? BTW, against which teams he failed to score (other than vs Real M)?

I have him taking all freekicks, which unfortunately means he won't be at the end of long crosses because FM still won't let you differentiate between cross and shot free kicks.

I have him lurking outside the box for corners to make the most of any bad clearances.

It was Real Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea iirc

Think I'll call it quits there, have accomplished what I set out to do.

The question is, what next? Hmmm.

I think you should set yourself up as a GD rumour shatterer!

You've battered the strikers can't score myth, no doubt about that.

I have him taking all freekicks, which unfortunately means he won't be at the end of long crosses because FM still won't let you differentiate between cross and shot free kicks.

I have him lurking outside the box for corners to make the most of any bad clearances.

It was Real Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea iirc

And how about some videos from the 2nd season?

Making two forwards score a lot of goals. A scoring duo of Suarez and Sturridge perhaps.

Neymar scored 29 goals in that second season, does that count?

Ill upload some vids tomorrow, was having trouble uploading them to youtube earlier, kept failing.

Here's two of his hattricks:

[video=youtube;n7K0BLggTVg]

[video=youtube;744Hi88l0Sc]

How is Messi doing with the AP Attack? In general, I am struggling to get anything out of my Advanced Forwards when he's playing on top by himself.

Neymar scored 29 goals in that second season, does that count?

Ill upload some vids tomorrow, was having trouble uploading them to youtube earlier, kept failing.

No, Neymar scoring "only" 29 doesn't count, when Messi has 70+. I would like to see you try to make both forwards score around 50 goals each. My guess is that it may require a formation with a AMC behind two STs. Or versatile forwards like Messi and Neymar, that you can switch between AF and DLF roles. But I would really like to see you try with Suarez and Sturridge, because they are the only 2 striker pairing IRL that scores consistently.

Here's two of his hattricks:

[video=youtube;n7K0BLggTVg]

[video=youtube;744Hi88l0Sc]

This looks awesome.

50 each will be pushing it a bit, especially with Liverpool's strikers (as the players haven't been updated to match their real life performances yet), but we'll see how it goes.

50 each will be pushing it a bit, especially with Liverpool's strikers (as the players haven't been updated to match their real life performances yet), but we'll see how it goes.

Ok point taken. With Liverpool's strikers I will settle for 40 goals each.:)

That's not a two strikers pairing though. Aguero is used more as AMC when playing with Negredo.

That's not a two strikers pairing though. Aguero is used more as AMC when playing with Negredo.

Not true. We play a variation of a 442, maybe you could even call it a 4222, but we always have two men higher up the pitch than any others. At times Negredo drops deep, at times Aguero drops deep, but they take turns and they always link up as strikers do. They're both strikers and it is certainly a striker partnership. It certainly isn't a case of Aguero playing in midfield, that's for sure.

Feel free to have a look in here, to see the discussion surrounding City's formation.

Not true. We play a variation of a 442, maybe you could even call it a 4222, but we always have two men higher up the pitch than any others. At times Negredo drops deep, at times Aguero drops deep, but they take turns and they always link up as strikers do. They're both strikers and it is certainly a striker partnership. It certainly isn't a case of Aguero playing in midfield, that's for sure.

Feel free to have a look in here, to see the discussion surrounding City's formation.

"We"? Who is "we"? Do you play for Man City or are you just a supporter?

Anyway, I will respectfully disagree and leave at that.:)

Wow...I like this very much a lot like what ive done...after 3 seasons I have found a tactic that like you I can use and not change anything. I have many of the same attributes

you have, however I have adopted a less defensive tactic. Its a powerhouse that I rarely lose with. I feel that my team is very solid from front to back, but its very young. However I have made it so almost every player on my team is very pacy. Try it out it works a treat...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216431144

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216431721

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216430973

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216269364

I have had two games this season the opposition hasnt even been able to take a shot.

Here are some more. Now I have a problem...my striker is injured for a couple of weeks. It will still work with my youth striker though.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216442958

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216442224

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216269364

Oh and my striker has done very well with this formation, however hes not the only one that scores goals. Chelsea are 19 games in and they have 42 goals in league play.

I apologize for hijacking this thread...was an awesome thread and I stuffed my tactic in here. If a moderator can move this to its own thread ill post it right with all the accompanied details.

Nice thread, I would also like to see if you can get a S.A.S style one going with both strikers scoring regularly.

Awesome thread and impressive results.

It inspired me to start a new challenge but with Real Madrid with the following goals:

-Win La Décima

-Win La Liga

-CR7 to score more than 70 goals per season

-CR7 to be FPOTW

-Inspired on Galaticos era

I started with a plain rigid 442 with Ronaldo as a AF-A and Benzema as DLF-S which was working well in the friendlies i did, considering Benzema has a good teamwork and great passing and first touch. However i wonder if Ronaldo wouldn't work better as a left IF as it is his natural position and "only" accomplished as Striker.

The other issue is to balance the 442 to have more control during games and although there is no analysis tab i can tell there is an issue with the midfield balance.

1t1r20.jpg

Any tips in how to improve this? I am trying to buy a RMF and give him freedom like Figo but it is very difficult to find a top player interested in joining let alone good enough to be a started here.

Maybe other formation would be better suited for these goals?

Thanks in advance.