Do you implement assistant managers in match advice?

Of late I have been looking at some of the rather good third party formations/tactics. One thing that I noticed is that some of them don't take any notice of the assistants in match advice. In my own homemade formation/tactics I have always implemented his advice, varying from closing down various players, marking players to altering the teams tactics.

I replayed one match as a test. In it I obeyed all of my assistants advice. In the replay, I completely ignored it. What I found, for this one match, was that none of the threats about what various players will do if I didn't do as he said, never appeared to make any difference in the match. Both ended up as a draw.

I am intrigued to know the views of you all on this matter.

I never listen to him and make changes based on what I see happening in the game. The thing with the assistant is, he doesn't know or understand your tactic so he can give advice that is wrong and say something is a problem when really it isn't. By all means use it as advice but be wary of it too :)

I never listen to him and make changes based on what I see happening in the game. The thing with the assistant is, he doesn't know or understand your tactic so he can give advice that is wrong and say something is a problem when really it isn't. By all means use it as advice but be wary of it too :)

Happy New Year, Cleon. I have asked the same of Mr Rosler. As usual I value your thoughts and thank you for them. Another query is whether or not to implement players individual match instructions. I should add that I never have. Maybe that is one of my, I must reveal, slowly reducing problems. I also wonder about the O/I's, should they be used or not? I have read varying opinions about their use or otherwise. I can not make up my mind whether it is better to make up the three suggested tactics, for instance, Counter, standard and control or to just have the one, say, control and use the in match menu bar to go to which ever one I feel suitable depending upon the match situation at any given moment.

AssMan feedback is "nice", but at the end of the day is just some clever code that spits out text based on Match/Player stats and formations.

It doesn't understand how you want your tactic to function, so can't give context to the fact that even if "We're being overrun in midfield", that it isn't actually an issue if that is how you want to play. I tend to ignore it.

With regard to OIs, I don't use them either! I think that they can lead to your team being pulled all over the place if inappropriately used.

Happy New Years RT and Steve. Thanks for your views.

What about the individual player instructions and the one or three tactic set? I always used to make up only one formation/tactic, eg: 4-1-3-2, control. Depending upon the match situation I would then go up and or down through the philosophy choices.

I have never used player instructions because my thinking was that they may upset the shape of my team tactic and any team instructions that I may or may not give.

I too end up implementing everything he says. The one thing that made me doubt him was the following :we are playing well at the moment a goal would really ensure we confirm our dominance" I mean, really? 1k per week I pay him and that's it?!

I blindly follow everything he says, specially re opposition players, your advice, at a basic level, would be to ignore and work it out myself then?

Happy New Years RT and Steve. Thanks for your views.

What about the individual player instructions and the one or three tactic set? I always used to make up only one formation/tactic, eg: 4-1-3-2, control. Depending upon the match situation I would then go up and or down through the philosophy choices.

I have never used player instructions because my thinking was that they may upset the shape of my team tactic and any team instructions that I may or may not give.

philosophy or strategy? I would dchange strategy never philosophy.

philosophy or strategy? I would dchange strategy never philosophy.

Oops! Too much Sanatogen! Strategy. Have just the one formation/tactic [4-1-3-2] say on control and move up or down the gears as the match dictates. Or is it best to make the three sets as is generally advised?

Am I right in thinking that making three strategies, counter, standard and control is the same as having one strategy, standard and using them all as the need requires?

I too end up implementing everything he says. The one thing that made me doubt him was the following :we are playing well at the moment a goal would really ensure we confirm our dominance" I mean, really? 1k per week I pay him and that's it?!

I blindly follow everything he says, specially re opposition players, your advice, at a basic level, would be to ignore and work it out myself then?

I ignore everything he says and I never use OI's either.

I usually glance at what he said and use it to see if what I think is happening, is happening.

Quite often he complains my midfield is being overrun and I'm like, "And? This is a long ball game I'm playing. Midfield matters not when we are lumping it forward!" So don't bother making any changes. Sometimes he makes a fair point, poor crossing, and I switch things about for a while to see if anything changes

brilliant I will try that, thanks :)

Bear in mind that Cleon is very good at watching games and reacting!

Something mentioned earlier; by all means listen to your AssMan if you feel you need some help but be very wary of his comments. This is particularly pertinent if you know your AssMan isn't up to much.

Tactically I'm the same as Cleon, never listen to him. Occasionally he throws up some motivational things about players (mine or opposition) that I'll think about. But, I'm always wary of him.

Does the same apply to players individual instructions? By giving them personal instructions will that have a negative effect upon the team [collective] instructions.

I am back asking for assistance because my latest formation/tactic, 4-2-3-1 deep and wide has, after a promising start, is proving rather poor. I fear I shall never sort the new game out. I seem to have got worse since my last decent tactic in FM12. I am gradually looking towards one of the third party sets of tactics that I have had a little go with but I much rather have mine own.

I've even read somewhere in the forums that the 'Tactics Creator' is now of little use because of the player roles/duties are somewhat removed from the games default settings.

Archived