Sports Interactive Community
DuncanJM

Trouble with Away Games

Just wondering if someone can have some advice for me for my away games, which I seem to be dropping a lot of points on. My tactic works wonderfully at home, but away from home I am struggling to adapt it properly. I can't screenshot at the moment I'm afraid, but this is my tactic:

3-1DM-4-2

---------------- GK ------------------

--- CD(D) --- CD(D) ---- CD(D) ---

-------------- DM(D) ----------------

DW(S) -- AP(A) -- CM(S) -- DW(S)

-------- AF(A) ------ F9(S) ---------

At home I play Control/Balanced with Team Instructions of:

Hassle Opponents

Tighter Marking (yes I know there can be problems playing with both of these)

Pass Into Space

Exploit the Middle

My Player Instructions are:

both DW's (run wide with ball, cross from deep, and often to man mark the opposition AMR/AML)

DM/D (close down less, often man mark opposition AMC)

CM/S (close down more, sometimes to man mark a dangerous opposition MC)

AP/A (close down more)

F9/S (roam from position, often shoot less)

AF/A (move into channels)

The idea with this is to create a pressing game in front of my back 3 and DM, with my 2 MC's pressing hard, but try to not to lose too much shape at the back. I have tried not using Hassle opponents but I get fed up with my players not trying to win the ball and endlessly trying to contain rather than press.

My problem with away games is that I struggle to exert my authority on the game from a possession point of view, and struggle to get any penetration in the final third. I have tried switching to a counter/defensive strategy and also to a more direct attacking strategy but without too much success.

Can anyone help?

You only have one player; the Advanced Forward who is making penetrative runs, mark him out of the game what have you got left? The Advanced Playmaker could score a couple of wonder goals dribbling his way through defences, but I wouldn't be relying on that. I would make the CM(s) a CM(a) to get him to break beyond the False 9 giving you more penetration. Let one of those WM attack and use a support role behind the Advanced Forward, AP(s) perhaps, somebody to feed him in besides the False 9. This will give your False 9 two/three options: The CM(a) the attacking wide man and the Advanced Forward to supply through balls too. It gives the AP(s) two options: the Advanced Forward and the CM(a)

Something like this:

---------------- GK ------------------

--- CD(D) --- CD(D) ---- CD(D) ---

-------------- DM(D) ----------------

DW(S) -- AP(s) -- CM(A) -- WM(A)

-------- AF(A) ------ F9(S) ---------

Have a look also at your motivational strategy, a good tactic at home doesnt suddenly fall apart away from home so there may be more to it than just tactics.

On the tactics front though, certain setups work very differently against negative and aggressive teams. Some are great at smashing negativity but struggle when put under pressure, others thrive on counters but struggle against teams parking up. Tweaking and finding a balance is difficult.

Where are teams beating you when you're away?

What sort of things are you facing away but not at home? Which of those are causing problems?

Just out of interest, do you score many counters? I'm not being glib and suggesting you need one to play away, just interested in whether your team are effective on the counter and if so, how do you score on the counter? This is pretty much as much about players as it is about tactics.

Thanks peleJunior, I'll have a play and see what happens. Are you suggesting changing one of my DW's to WM's, and if so, why? I have rarely used either role in previous tactics as this is a new one for me and I am not sure of the specifics of what each role contributes.

furiousuk, I struggle more against all away sides than at home. I am playing as Liverpool, and my home form is exceptional, out of 12 games I have won 11 and drawn one, but away I have won only 4, drawn 4 and lost 4. I know its not a disaster, but I am in my third season having won titles the last two years, and I am getting frustrated particluarly against palace and west ham in my last two games where I have taken the lead but not looked convincing and conceded to lose 2-1 to palace and hang on 1-1 against West Ham.

It is odd because these two games were still games where I am favourite for, and I don't exactly feel put under pressure, but my team really struggls to play against them. The euivalent scorelines at home against both sides were solid wins when you would expect that they would try to shut up shop. It seems my tactic is effective at breaking down stubborn defences, but struggles in a more even game.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head there. At home you are frustrating a team playing deep by not commiting men forward, they eventually lose discipline and you slip in. Away your lack of penetrative runs is forcing your defensive line further and further back because the AI ARE making penetrative runs. The AI has little to worry about defensively against you when they themselves are interested in attacking you.

You could still get good results at home playing a few more penetrative roles in my opinion. I suggested WM as I think that DW has no attacking role, it was purely that, an attacking role has penetrative runs.

OK Thanks. Have given it a go and dropped from a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 away against Reading! One game does not make a decent sample size though so I will try again, I did see a bit more penetration so that is a good thing, but my back 3 and DM did not have too much protection. I think I will try with a CM/A and a DLP/S in midfield and see how that goes.

OK Thanks. Have given it a go and dropped from a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 away against Reading! One game does not make a decent sample size though so I will try again, I did see a bit more penetration so that is a good thing, but my back 3 and DM did not have too much protection. I think I will try with a CM/A and a DLP/S in midfield and see how that goes.

Yea it is tough getting the balance, you could always revert back to your original set up once you have a nice lead.

Yeah I think pele has a good point, no worries in dropping back to your 'frustrating' original setup. Plenty of big big teams (possibly all) play differently when breaking down a team compared to when they are 1 or 2 up.

Have a look at motivation too.

If you're hitting them with a stick to make sure they are motivated against 'weaker' teams then try patting them on the back and see how that works and vice versa.