Away Form - Dropped Points - 3-5-2 Help

Playing as Borussia Dortumand, just finished my 3rd season with them in the year 2026. Won the league by a point my first season but the following two seasons I have lost out by 7 and 4 points. By home form is good only losing once and drawing two in my most current season. I seem to be losing out on vital points away from home, this season out of 17 games I won 8 drew 5 and lost 4. Scoring 28 and conceding 21. Compared to Bayern who won the league with an away record of 13 wins 2 draws and 2 loses. So as you can see my away form is letting me down. In the German league I have found that I come up against a few different formations, 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 are quite common. The year I won the league I went with a 4-2-3-1 but wasn't completely happy with it. The following seasons I have went with a 3-5-2 which I think suits by team better but I think it needs improved or adapted for the away games. I line up as such..

Goalkeeper

3 Central defenders with the middle one set to cover the other 2 just standard defend.

2 Wingers (ML + MR) at support.

In the middle of the park I have a DLP (d) AP (a) and a BBM (s)

up top I have a TM/ ADV F with a poacher both at attack.

I tend to play direct, work ball into box, drill crosses, wider, hassle and higher tempo. This is by standard/starting way. Another set up is perhaps more of a counter attacking style which done quite well at the end of the season when I used it more which was Direct, pass into space, clear to flanks, drill crosses, run at defence, play wider, hassle and higher tempo.

As for my players I have a good squad with my main starting 11 all 3.5* +

Looking for any ideas where this may be improved for away games where I seem to concede quite a few. So my defending may be the main problem. Is the 3 at the back not the best? the high line perhaps causing problems? Tried to explain it as best as I could but would like to hear some thoughts or ideas that may help me. Cheers.

Maybe set the outer centre halls as stoppers so they will close down wingers? Especially when you yourself have wingers and not defensive wingers. I play this formation as Aberdeen and I've found I need to have my wingers set as defensive wingers or there just isn't enough cover, not ideal for a side like Dortmund and the players you have admittedly.

I'd try setting the outer centre backs as stoppers and see if that helps any

Archived