Ajax - When Real Life Meets Football Manager - FM14

Hi, Cleon.

Hoping you could give some basic advice here. I was wondering how you train players who are fully developed? Aged 25 and above, for example. Do you still focus on specific attributes, train them in specific roles or just don't set any individual focus at all?

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Cleon.

Hoping you could give some basic advice here. I was wondering how you train players who are fully developed? Aged 25 and above, for example. Do you still focus on specific attributes, train them in specific roles or just don't set any individual focus at all?

He sticks them on to role training, if I remember correctly.

So it's generally specific attributes whilst they're young and roles when older? Obviously not a hard and fast rule, but, y'know....

No it depends on which you prefer, there is no right or wrong.

Hey, i'm playing a youth challenge with Portsmouth right now and the starting point was League 2. I noticed that the fitness and tactic attributes are pretty bad in these leagues but i think that these attributes in the lower leagues are far more important than the technical ones. So i decided to set the general youth training to fitness low and the general senior training to tactics low and an individual focus on each player to heavy. So the players get a lot of tactical and fitness training but i'm not sure if this makes any sense. What do you think about it Cleon ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cleon,

llama passed my onto this thread to ask you a question that I have, to see if you know the answer.

I am playing FM10 and I am Aston Villa, due to them not really having an abundance of tutors at the moment, I am looking to get my coaching team in place, I am looking at signing coaches that have not reached their potential yet. I am using Genie Scout to look at the CA and PA even though I know they are subject to scrutiny. The question I want answering is When do coaches start declining?? Is there a peak age, like there is for players???

Blackthorn

Hi cleon!

im also playing with Ajax and trying in some way to do the same as you..

was wondering tough if it would be best to loan your players that have little or no chance playing in the first team or is it better for them to play in young ajax(wich plays in 2nd div) and use the maxed out training grounds..

sorry if this has been asked allready.

Hi cleon!

im also playing with Ajax and trying in some way to do the same as you..

was wondering tough if it would be best to loan your players that have little or no chance playing in the first team or is it better for them to play in young ajax(wich plays in 2nd div) and use the maxed out training grounds..

sorry if this has been asked allready.

I must have answered this 100 times in this thread :(

Regardless of how good someone is I would never ever loan anyone out ever.

Hi mate looking for some advice. I'm 7 seasons in with Barca, players comming through the academy are unreal. Anyway, got a 4.5 star striker, he's 17 at the moment. Problem is he has 5 naural fitness and coach report says he's injury prone. Is there a specific way you would train a player like that so as to make him a bit less fragile?

You can't change an injury prone player. You just have to deal with him getting injured a lot so have to protect him by subbing him a lot and keeping a real close eye on what he's doing during a game.

You can raise natural fitness/stamina though through individual focus on stamina it raises both.

You can't change an injury prone player. You just have to deal with him getting injured a lot so have to protect him by subbing him a lot and keeping a real close eye on what he's doing during a game.

You can raise natural fitness/stamina though through individual focus on stamina it raises both.

Thanks mate, I'll put him on stamina training

Hi Cleon.

Thank you very much for this truly amazing guide! You added indeed something relevant to Football Manager.

Inspired by you, I coded a program to process and analyze player attibutes in order to speed up the development setup, selecting the attributes to work on. I'm managing AC Milan and after the second season implementing your ideas, I had some advancement. So, I would like to have your thoughts about my squad development. If you agree, you can download this Excel file.

Thanks you in advance.

Great stuff in this thread. Your amount of knowledge and information is incredible, and it's great to see you try to apply it to FM.

The thread is particularly interesting to me since I'm currently also in a youth oriented Ajax career. It's currently January 2020 and my starting 11 consists out of 9 original Ajax youth players, one new signing and one old Ajax player returned.

GK: Vermeer

LWB: Blind

CB: Bazoer & Veltman

RWB: van Rhijn

RGA: Annouri (new Dutch signing)

MC: Sneijder & van den Boomen

LIF: Gino Dekker

RW: Meleg

F9: Bouwmans (Ajax youth newgen)

alot of it is hard to take in so it might not all work for my club... so far with all of the info above where u list all of your staff this is what ive understood since all of that reading was hard to understand for a first time FM player with 2014 as my first installment of the game..

-setup 12 friendly games, you say don't allow rest before or after well the team im playing as does not allow me to change it..

- Dont buy any players over 17 yrs old and no more then 2 million

- when u list your staff the club im with it only has the following jobs:

HC - Myself

Assistant Coach

Coach

Goalie coach

Fitness coach if u want one,

U18/U21 Coach can only have 1

U18 HC

U21 HC or have my assistant coach run my U21 squad

Head of Youth Development

Physio

It doesn't have:

Assistant Manager

Reserves Manager

U19 Manager

Reserves Assistant

U19 Assistant

U19 Goalie coach (as my team only has U18 and U21)

Im playing as Guiseley is Skrill North as I want to complete the hero challenage

another question...

when u say u break down preseason type thing to:

Morale

Fitness

Tactic Familarity

Team Cohesion

do u do all 4 on very high for a week or something that was something else i was very confused about

The easy friendlies give morale and each time a player plays he gets closer to fitness. You train team cohesion and tactic familiarity at the same time.

Really interesting stuff on this thread, I'm currently playing as Real Sociedad and over time making them a Basque, youth rank-dominated club like the good old days ;) after three-and-half years at the club, three players I've groomed are undisputed starters, three more are rotation and on the verge of first-team, with a ridiculous amount of talent coming through each intake. I'm playing extremely disciplined with regards to signing young talent, only kids from the Basque region poaching from Athletic, Osasuna, Alaves and the like.

The Under-19s are gearing up for a Champions League final, I think I'm more pleased with that than if it was the first-team there lol.

After reading this I realise I could do more to mould my kids into the system I want to play, so thanks for that! A general question: is there any region which can match Basque country for youth talent? It really is a fantastic hunting ground.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading in this thread that someone said to do a four month training program..

3 months First Touch (July-Sept); 3 months Technique (Oct-Dec); 3 months Composure (Jan-Mar) 3 months Passing (Apr-June) My question is when doing this individual player training do I set it for average training or heavy training and if they complain just ignore it and continue the heavy training

In this thread someone said that? If they did I'd have advised them not to do that. Also you mention a four month training programme then list a year....

As for what you should set the intensity for and what you should do with people complaining, read the player development section of the thread as its been answered about 1 billion times already and tells you what I do in the opening 2 paragraphs :)

Hi Cleon.

Thank you very much for this truly amazing guide! You added indeed something relevant to Football Manager.

Inspired by you, I coded a program to process and analyze player attibutes in order to speed up the development setup, selecting the attributes to work on. I'm managing AC Milan and after the second season implementing your ideas, I had some advancement. So, I would like to have your thoughts about my squad development. If you agree, you can download this Excel file.

Thanks you in advance.

Hi, I can't seem to see the Excel file, please could you re-upload it? :)

Cleon, i know this is a 2014 thread, but i dont understand on my fm 15 save now, why i cant get my familarity levels up. Have been training like this all the pre-season, with 12 friendlies matches: http://gratisupload.dk/vis_billede/715549/

Look how low my tactical familarity levels are.... what are i doing wrong? I have bought inn DC: Balanta, DC: Vlaar and Striker: Bony (All bought before second training match....)

And my assistant Man. have been in charge of every friendly match, But it has nothing to say right?, I have`ticket for him to use my tactics and lineup.

It clearly states in the post that learning more than 1 tactic, changing tactical shouts and bringing in new players reduces tactical familiarity and will take a lot longer to learn. It also looks like you give them a rest after a game too which is a big no in preseason as you waste time.

It clearly states in the post that learning more than 1 tactic, changing tactical shouts and bringing in new players reduces tactical familiarity and will take a lot longer to learn. It also looks like you give them a rest after a game too which is a big no in preseason as you waste time.

I have done excatly the same as you have written here. I started a new game, no new players inn, 12 pre season games, no resting after games in preseason. This is the result when i face Aston Villa for the first game of the season:

PXGB1m.jpg

I cant understand why i cant get the level more up

I don't think it is asked before, but how is the Dutch national team performing? Do you already notice an increase in Ajax players in the first and -21 teams comparing to the other Dutch sides?

In my games the Dutch national team is always under performing and the youth pulls for Dutch teams don't seem to be that great. So it would be cool if the most players of the starting 11 were Ajax players in 2018.

Feyenoord was the main supplier during the WC 2014, due to some excellent youth training, smart investments and the necessity to implement their youth early because of financial debts.

Apologies if been answered already, but regarding tutoring... If a tutoring spell ends and the feedback is that one/both of the players didn't feel it was beneficial, do you pay attention to that? Is it always an indicator that things haven't gone well and that those two shouldn't be paired up again?

Apologies if been answered already, but regarding tutoring... If a tutoring spell ends and the feedback is that one/both of the players didn't feel it was beneficial, do you pay attention to that? Is it always an indicator that things haven't gone well and that those two shouldn't be paired up again?

I'd not pair them up again but it doesn't mean it wasn't beneficial and the hidden attributes could have still been improved.

I don't think it is asked before, but how is the Dutch national team performing? Do you already notice an increase in Ajax players in the first and -21 teams comparing to the other Dutch sides?

In my games the Dutch national team is always under performing and the youth pulls for Dutch teams don't seem to be that great. So it would be cool if the most players of the starting 11 were Ajax players in 2018.

Feyenoord was the main supplier during the WC 2014, due to some excellent youth training, smart investments and the necessity to implement their youth early because of financial debts.

9 of the current 11 are from me yeah. And I think another 8 from the squad are all players I've sold on to other clubs in the league to make the league stronger and more competitive :)

This is one of the best write ups I have ever seen! Incredible.

Now I need to try this out with the teams I am going to use in FM 15. Cleon, do you mind if I throw a few questions your way? Here goes anyway:

You have mentioned that you do not loan young players out, do you do this with all the teams you manage?

How long does it take you to do a season? I find myself taking my time a lot at the start making sure everything is right but then I get a bit impatient and just want to get to the next transfer window or end of the season. This season I am going to try and avoid this by playing a few saves at once and use FMC to smash through seasons.

Any other longs posts you've made? I'd love to give some a read.

This is one of the best write ups I have ever seen! Incredible.

Now I need to try this out with the teams I am going to use in FM 15. Cleon, do you mind if I throw a few questions your way? Here goes anyway:

You have mentioned that you do not loan young players out, do you do this with all the teams you manage?

How long does it take you to do a season? I find myself taking my time a lot at the start making sure everything is right but then I get a bit impatient and just want to get to the next transfer window or end of the season. This season I am going to try and avoid this by playing a few saves at once and use FMC to smash through seasons.

Any other longs posts you've made? I'd love to give some a read.

I never loan players out no and yes I do this at every team.

A season depends, sometimes it can be about 6 hours other times it could be 17 hours. It all depends what I'm doing and how much I'm messing about.

As for other threads I've done a lot but these are the most recent;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377489-Creating-A-Tactic-Design-Create-and-Maintain

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/391083-The-School-of-the-Defensive-Arts

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394522-SI-Sports-Centre-The-Analysis

and for FM15;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/403153-Building-A-Tactic-From-The-Beginning-And-Maintaining-It-Long-Term

:)

I never loan players out no and yes I do this at every team.

A season depends, sometimes it can be about 6 hours other times it could be 17 hours. It all depends what I'm doing and how much I'm messing about.

As for other threads I've done a lot but these are the most recent;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377489-Creating-A-Tactic-Design-Create-and-Maintain

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/391083-The-School-of-the-Defensive-Arts

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394522-SI-Sports-Centre-The-Analysis

and for FM15;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/403153-Building-A-Tactic-From-The-Beginning-And-Maintaining-It-Long-Term

:)

Thanks, I'll give them a read. What do you tend to do with players with like 1 star potential ability. For example Arsenal's under 21 and under 18 squad looks like so:

po6ovrc.png

yakYB1V.png

I mean there are a number of players who could become very good, but also quite a few who simply won't be. Also my under 21's are complaining about heavy training workload already and they aren't even on individual training plans yet. Do you ignore them being unhappy with workloads or is there a work around?

Thanks again

I have also raised this issue: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/401786-Training-Issue

But it doesn't seem that anything is going to be done about it.

edit: It seems if you take over your under 21's training and set the slider all the way to match training only it seems to fix it. I don't think this is right by any means though.

Then you've either changed the TI's a few times or you've forgot to train tactics for the match training or got the general/match training slider set incorrectly.

Hi Cleon

I know you have said you never go with advice from the assistant so what do you go with in terms of the prematch training - tactics every time?

Or does it vary?

Cheers again for the best thread out there.

Hi Cleon

I know you have said you never go with advice from the assistant so what do you go with in terms of the prematch training - tactics every time?

Or does it vary?

Cheers again for the best thread out there.

I don't use match training at all.

ok - i think I get it now .... Well hope so anyway!!

So during ince the seasin starts (pre seasin having concluded) you move the customised scheduling option to the far right so that match preparation is no longer selectable.

ok - i think I get it now .... Well hope so anyway!!

So during ince the seasin starts (pre seasin having concluded) you move the customised scheduling option to the far right so that match preparation is no longer selectable.

Indeed I do sir :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...