Sports Interactive Community
distant sounds

Strikers, Why Don't They Shoot at Goal?

I'm increasingly finding in my save that my striker (4-2-3-1) hardly ever shoots at goal, let alone appears in key moments. I find that 95% of the team's shots come from the two wide men or AMC and the two central mids. I have tried Rooney as AF, CF and now trying F9 just in hope he actually shoots at goal for once. Even in games where we have 30 shots, Rooney will have no more than 1 or 2 of those.

I'm not sure what to tell you as I do not use this formation but I bet anything if you poke in the tactics forum there may be a 4-2-3-1 posted somewhere with someone who has figured out how to get strikers to score. I have read abundant amounts of posts about this very same issue and yet, some people claim they have no issue with their strikers scoring. I managed to finally find a way to get my guys scoring but I use a 4-1-3-2 with no wingers at all, so, you know, I'm not a LOT of help lol.

I've been using a 4-2-3-1 deep in my FMC save and had the best results with my striker as AF or DLFa. The AF pushes the defense back and my strikers are top scorers for my team. The DLFa is an option if you have a more creative striker. He will get more assists and less goals. I had no luck with a poacher or target man in that formation. Maybe a F9 works if your AMC is a SS and can score.

I tend to play Rooney as an AF mostly, and have now made all my midfielder players as Support, with just one wide man and Rafael as Attack. Still, in the latest game where we thumped Chelsea 5-0, Rooney didn't manage a shot. My team seem to be assisting one another and Rooney seems like a ghost that no one sees. He's only had one assist and it's now near xmas in the season, so he's not just assisting the others.

I tend to play Rooney as an AF mostly, and have now made all my midfielder players as Support, with just one wide man and Rafael as Attack. Still, in the latest game where we thumped Chelsea 5-0, Rooney didn't manage a shot. My team seem to be assisting one another and Rooney seems like a ghost that no one sees. He's only had one assist and it's now near xmas in the season, so he's not just assisting the others.

That is the strangest damn thing. Could you send me a copy of your tactics and even match plan? I would love to look at this.

Here's my standard tactic I use in most games of late, which I used in the 4-1 win over Liverpool, 5-0 win over Chelsea in the next game, and the 3-1 over Arsenal in the game after that. Rooney scored none of the goals, averaging about one shot per game: http://gyazo.com/80678cf75dcb2bd5349b3934a2c1cbd5

I'm sure some would ask why I'm complaining after 3 big wins like that over rivals, but why does my striker not score and hardly ever have a shot? I'm sure my tactic is nothing supernatural, to be able to make everyone in my side score goals.

Here's my standard tactic I use in most games of late, which I used in the 4-1 win over Liverpool, 5-0 win over Chelsea in the next game, and the 3-1 over Arsenal in the game after that. Rooney scored none of the goals, averaging about one shot per game: http://gyazo.com/80678cf75dcb2bd5349b3934a2c1cbd5

I'm sure some would ask why I'm complaining after 3 big wins like that over rivals, but why does my striker not score and hardly ever have a shot? I'm sure my tactic is nothing supernatural, to be able to make everyone in my side score goals.

I'm not asking at all why, it is not a complaint to me, more of a curiosity on your part, you want your players to play well. Any individual instructions?

From the general set up and from your history of playing well I don't see anything wrong in the tactic setup. I would maybe switch the WBL to attack and the other to support to alternate with the front men's mentality but Rooney should be able to get support.

All I can think of without more information is that he is low on confidence. Maybe set up some easy friendlies and see if he scores. I have seen some of my strikers go on long runs without scoring in other saves and once they scored they couldnt stop anymore

Rooney managed to score in the next game against Man City to get us a 1-1 at their ground. He put in another quiet performance in the next game at Forest, and this below happened in the game after, home against Norwich:

http://gyazo.com/46e9114bbe062ef2c031882977b827fa

That's all well and good but I have been waiting for your answer so we can test this... Any individual instructions?