Sports Interactive Community
loobsa

shots to goal ratio for me v computer

whats the deal with me having 20+ attempts on goal and the opposition having 5 but yet I am still struggling to beat them. lots of 1-0 and 1-1

Tactics forum is your friend.

But perhaps give a bit more information, like whether this is just one game or is it every game in an entire season?

I know it's a standard line but it is very well possible that it is your tactic. Often we've seen players using a too offensive, unbalanced tactic. The opposition park the bus and go for the counter.

I recommend to read some of the respective threads in the tactics forum. If you don't want to bother here in short: Do not give all (or even most) midfielders and strikers an attacking instruction. This just overcrowds the box and your players have to use long shots (=Shot on goal but not dangerous). Also make sure that defence and attack are actually linked by your midfield.

I assume that you understand that if you use "Shoot on sight" your players will not try to get into better positions or pass to a better positioned player before shooting. Ensure that your shouts do not contradict your general tactics.

Just had 30 shots against Ulsan in the club world championship and they had 3. final score 2-1

If you want help then please post your tactical set-up as has already been asked by others.

The only way to fix this is possibly having all your players trying to kick the ball with more power. Basically if they kick the ball harder, it's going to equal a greater chance to score.

Someone from SI said it ME related.

I'm playing a 4-1-3-2 system where all my defenders are on defending duty (DM too), ML and MC are on support and MR on attack.

Both strikers are on attack duty. So i don`t say that i struggle to win, but i have the same issue that loobsa has.

20+ shoots every game. No one will tell me that Mandzukic and Lewandowski (my both strikers) which

scored a lot goals before the update came, need so much shoots/chances to score now.

Down the line Loobsa it`s probably your tactic + a ME issue (confirmed by SI, where strikers need to many chances to score).

They (SI) are trying to tone shoots/score ratio in the comming patch.

I'm playing a 4-1-3-2 system where all my defenders are on defending duty (DM too), ML and MC are on support and MR on attack.

Both strikers are on attack duty. So i don`t say that i struggle to win, but i have the same issue that loobsa has.

That's quite an awkward sounding system, what are the Roles in midfield?

Why awkward? I`m winning 85-90% of the matcges with this setup...

Awkward probably wasn't the best choice of word - perhaps unconventional.

What I meant was that you have three distinct functions to your team.

There's the defensive unit (back four plus DM), the supporting unit (MC line) and the attacking unit (front 2, plus the movement of the attacking MR).

Is it a narrow 4-1-3-2? i.e. MCL, MC and MCR, or are the left and right sided MC players playing at ML and MR?

In general terms, most set ups we see have a bit more of a balance of Duties across the lines to encourage movement between them.

If it is a narrow 4-1-3-2, I can see the logic behind an all Defend Duty back line.

Your movement comes entirely from the MC line, and your forward line potentially (depending on Roles) can be quite remote at times.

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of your set up and team instructions please?

I'm just curious as I've been dabbling with 4-1-3-2 and 4-3-1-2 set ups, and I have the same back 5 in essence, but just a different balance of Duties in the MC and ST lines.

You can try to set the shooting width in the tactical menu to narrow. Another possibility is to issue the shout "play through defence", then the Players will refrain from shooting from a long distance.

These measures will cut the number of your chances, but the chances you get are easier to convert to goals.

I play 4-2-2-2. here are my roles etc

both full backs set at automatic with no player instructions

both central defenders on defend with no player instructions

central midfielder deep lying playmaker on support with no player instructions

central midfielder box to box midfielder on support with shoot less often and try more risky passes

both wingers set to support with shoot less often and cross to target man

centre forward set as target man on attack with no player instructions

center forward set as poacher on attack with no player instructions

my team instructions are set to attack and balanced

With that set up, you have potentially rather a lot of issues.

Specifically relating to poor shot conversion, you have two wingers banging in early crosses for a Target Man to flick on to a Poacher.

With an Attacking Mentality, you play very fast and High, so are almost certainly hitting these crosses into very congested areas - what are your cross completion stats like?

Are your shots even coming from your strikers, or is it the wingers resorting to pot shots as they don't see a viable passing / crossing option in the middle? High Tempo won't help here, as they are just rushing decisions in a scenario where there are no viable passing options. High Tempo + No Options = Long Shot, and that's even with them set to Shoot Less Often.

Unless the BBM is doing a good job of getting up and down the pitch, then the wingers probably don't have a lot to aim for deeper down the pitch if options in the box are operating in such congested space.

As a minimum, I'd consider dropping your Mentality to Control.

My cross stats for the season so far are 294/1602 doesn`t sound very good. Where can you find the shooting stats?

I have dropped my mentality to control and see how I get on from there

That cross completion rate isn't bad actually.

You can see shot stats using one of the views in the squad screen.

Look at the stats for the players you use up front and at AML/R, possibly also the BBM.

That will show you where most of the shots and goals are coming from.

If your strikers are taking loads of shots but not scoring, then you aren't creating good chances.

If your wingers are taking loads of shots and not scoring, then a consequence of the poor chance creation is that the wide men are forced to take pot shots.

Ok thanks. Just checked that out. Here is a copy of some of the players, how do you take a screenshot might be easier to stick that up

Pkd Inf Name Apps Gls Ast PoM Pas R Tck DrbPG Sh T Yel Red Av Rat Shots

STCR Thomas Müller 21 (6) 9 3 2 79% 0.41 1.32 44% 0 0 7.03 71

STCL Christian Benteke 22 (1) 9 3 1 75% 0.39 0.94 30% 1 0 6.97 67

AMR Franck Ribéry 25 (1) 4 5 1 73% 1.43 5.25 51% 1 1 7.02 53

MCR Bastian Schweinsteiger 27 8 4 1 83% 2.77 1.23 62% 3 0 7.17 50

S5 Toni Kroos 17 (5) 0 1 0 87% 1.32 1.38 32% 0 0 6.85 38

S7 Claudio Pizarro 5 (15) 3 0 0 79% 0.46 0.12 53% 1 0 6.70 34

DCR Javi Martínez 25 2 0 2 80% 3.60 0.68 16% 5 0 7.28 32

S6 Arjen Robben 15 (4) 1 9 2 73% 1.75 4.16 59% 1 0 6.98 22

DCL Dante 25 2 0 3 79% 5.94 0.61 42% 5 1 7.23 19

S4 Mario Götze 6 (13) 3 1 0 77% 1.82 2.34 44% 0 0 6.73 16

MCL Thiago 12 (8) 1 4 0 85% 3.48 1.37 57% 0 0 6.95 14

DL Wnt David Alaba 25 0 6 3 78% 5.40 2.16 8% 1 1 7.20 12

AML Erik Lamela 5 (5) 1 1 0 68% 3.74 4.31 18% 0 0 6.79 11

S2 Jérôme Boateng 4 (4) 1 0 1 78% 5.23 0.58 33% 0 0 7.24 9

S3 Philipp Lahm 23 0 3 0 81% 4.17 2.04 44% 3 1 7.12 9

DR Slt Rafinha 6 (2) 0 1 0 81% 3.51 1.22 0% 2 0 6.94 2

- Daniel Van Buyten 0 (1) 0 0 0 89% - - 0% 0 0 6.80 1

- Slt Jan Kirchhoff 0 (2) 0 0 0 85% 0.00 - - 0 0 6.75 0

GK Manuel Neuer 27 0 1 0 49% 0.04 - - 1 0 6.93 0

- Lst Andreas Rössl - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Diego Contento - - - - - - - - - - - -

S1 Tom Starke - - - - - - - - - - - -

In general. I think you need to get around half your shots on target, so Benteke in particular seems problematical at just 30%.

Muller is also a bit low at 44%, and that combination of stats implies that neither are really in enough space or time to finish (presumably Benteke is your TM, and Muller the Poacher?)

The combination of those two Roles is a bit restrictive, as the Poacher does nothing other than sit on the shoulder waiting to run onto a ball.

The TM is looking to flick the ball on, so nobody is dropping deep to link with midfield, and the fact that both are so high and relatively static, means they have less space to work in, and less element of surprise.

I'm not sure that either Benteke or Muller are perfectly suited to those Roles, and would highly recommend reconsidering what you want from both players.

It's always handy to have a Support Role up front, especially with a front two to create combination play.

If Benteke is good enough technically, you could play off and around him, but it depends how you want to score goals.

If you do choose to mix up the Duties up front, I'd also recommend looking at your wide men.

The service you supply is one dimensional, quick crosses, so it is quite predictable and easy for a massed defence to stop.

This is 100% a tactical issue.

Please post your Roles, Duties, Team and Player Instructions and we'll be able to help.

Correct, but Incorrect..

Example:

My Gladbach save key information..

Starting 5 Seasons:

3 Times winner of the Bundesliga

3 Times winner of the CL

3 Times winner of the Super Cup

3 Times winner of the Club World Champ

4 Times winner of the German Cup

Most Reputable club in the world

Top 7 Rich List

Alexander Mitrovic played 3 Full Seasons for me, goal scoring record:

1st Season

38apps 40 Goals

Second Season

49apps 38 goals

3rd Season

44 apps 44 goals

Impressive stuff..

Now for the that weird area that exists and why "it's your tactics" has become such as easy scapegoat.

Since the new update, I've played and reloaded by game against Monaco 23 times and counting..Trying out stuff etc..

Alexander's Scoring record..2 Goals in 23 games, not from open play, but from a defensive error and a rebound into an empty net..

My team are having no problem creating chances, in fact the amount of chances being created is enormous, lots of shots, lots of shots on target, lot's of CCCs.

I am however, watching Mitrovic miss one on one after one on one, easy chance after easy chance..

IRL, the extent to which chances are created are almost exclusively reliant on team tactics, if we ignore individual ability for a moment. My tactics in game are having no problem creating chances..

The point it gets to when it's striker vs keeper, stops being about tactics, and more about individual ability. IRL a striker won't complain the the defensive line is too high up if he misses an easy chance, or that the keepers distribution is set to pass it shorter, etc, etc..

However, given the limitations of the ME, tactics unfortunately, determine almost everything, even when they shouldn't. It's science, science is deterministic in nature, meaning when we understand the state of something at one point in time, we understand the state of it at all points time. There are exceptions of course.

Which is why, when you see your defender in game spin in a 360 degree circle, slide tackle himself and you keeper sprints off of his line as madness ensues, as a lone player from the opposition team to stride unimpeded through your defense as they can only stand and watch as they put the ball in the back of the net, you can be sure, that it's because, the game has determined that your tactics have determined that you are going to lose..

It's not always as black and white as this, and you can make in game changes, but these only really enforce the point that game in it's entirety is fundamentally flawed..

So correct and incorrect at the same time

Correct, but Incorrect..

Example:

My Gladbach save key information..

Starting 5 Seasons:

3 Times winner of the Bundesliga

3 Times winner of the CL

3 Times winner of the Super Cup

3 Times winner of the Club World Champ

4 Times winner of the German Cup

Most Reputable club in the world

Top 7 Rich List

Alexander Mitrovic played 3 Full Seasons for me, goal scoring record:

1st Season

38apps 40 Goals

Second Season

49apps 38 goals

3rd Season

44 apps 44 goals

Impressive stuff..

Now for the that weird area that exists and why "it's your tactics" has become such as easy scapegoat.

Since the new update, I've played and reloaded by game against Monaco 23 times and counting..Trying out stuff etc..

Alexander's Scoring record..2 Goals in 23 games, not from open play, but from a defensive error and a rebound into an empty net..

My team are having no problem creating chances, in fact the amount of chances being created is enormous, lots of shots, lots of shots on target, lot's of CCCs.

I am however, watching Mitrovic miss one on one after one on one, easy chance after easy chance..

IRL, the extent to which chances are created are almost exclusively reliant on team tactics, if we ignore individual ability for a moment. My tactics in game are having no problem creating chances..

The point it gets to when it's striker vs keeper, stops being about tactics, and more about individual ability. IRL a striker won't complain the the defensive line is too high up if he misses an easy chance, or that the keepers distribution is set to pass it shorter, etc, etc..

However, given the limitations of the ME, tactics unfortunately, determine almost everything, even when they shouldn't. It's science, science is deterministic in nature, meaning when we understand the state of something at one point in time, we understand the state of it at all points time. There are exceptions of course.

Which is why, when you see your defender in game spin in a 360 degree circle, slide tackle himself and you keeper sprints off of his line as madness ensues, as a lone player from the opposition team to stride unimpeded through your defense as they can only stand and watch as they put the ball in the back of the net, you can be sure, that it's because, the game has determined that your tactics have determined that you are going to lose..

It's not always as black and white as this, and you can make in game changes, but these only really enforce the point that game in it's entirety is fundamentally flawed..

So correct and incorrect at the same time

Actually, thats incorrect, in fact not only is it incorrect, its misinformation

That passage is completely wrong, and isn't how the game works in the slightest

Cheers themadsheep2001.

I was going to reply but you've done the job nicely.

It's strange that a game you dominate for seasons can suddenly seem to be so obtuse when you don't adjust to ME changes and yield the results you were accustomed to.

what does ME stand for?

Match Engine.

The thing about shots and the ratio's is you can make them fit any example you choose or to suit any side of an argument because you can make the stats seem favourable/unfavourable if you want.

The key thing here is to look at the shots a lot closer and break them down. You need to understand which shots types your team is attempting then use the analysis tab to see exactly why. If you use the analysis tab then you can see the shots back and you'll be able to see if it was due to lack of movement, forced error, no options etc and then look to correct it.

W21RjPM.png

I'm Redditch and deserved the win as manager. This shows you (and I can upload a whole lot more of these games) the AI has no advantage and suffers from the same issues we do. Yes you can try and score by overwhelming the opposition, but in the end the team with the best chance(s) :D wins. The Ai and we have the same Me to use when beating our opponent, you can easily replicate those results for yourself. If you don't believe it, see Acktyers thread for even more detail.